Nikunj

Nikunj Saraf  |308 Answers  |Ask -

Mutual Funds Expert - Answered on Feb 16, 2023

Bhavesh Question by Bhavesh on Feb 15, 2023Hindi

Question regarding Real Estate. - I purchased a property at a document value of Rs.10.00Lacs. - Subsequently the corporation index rates increased (Doubled) within 6 months of my purchase. - Now if I sell my property at the increased index rates, within 2 years of my purchase, - Will I have to book profit for the difference in index rates of purchase & sale. Please Advise

Ans: Hello Bhavesh, please consult your tax advisor for the same

Mahesh

Mahesh Padmanabhan  |120 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on May 20, 2023

Sir, On 14-June 1994, I acquired a flat (tenement) in my own name for Rs. 2,98L. In April 2015, I had to spend Rs. 4.15L on general renovation of this flat. Now, I plan to sell this tenement and wish to invest its sale proceeds within two years of the sale in buying a ready possession flat in another city. My queries are follows: 1. Can I invest the sale proceeds in buying two flats in the same society of the new city or do I have to necessarily invest in one property only? 2. Can I add the name of my spouse and my son also as co-owners in the new property(s) even if their financial contribution is nil? 3. Can I add the name of my spouse and my son also as co-owners in the new property(s) in case they also partially contribute financially in the purchase of the new flat(s)? 4. What is the present applicable Indexed Cost of the flat planned to be sold by me?
Ans: Hi Thomas
As the base year for Cost Inflation Index (CII) has been reset to 2001, you may need to get a valuation done through an approved valuer to identify the value as on April 1, 2001. If this value is higher than Rs. 2.98 Lakhs then you could use that as the cost.

As regards the general renovation amount spent, it may not be allowed to be added as cost of the property as generally tax officers are not dispensed to allow it.

W.R.T. your decision to reinvest in a ready possession flat within 2 years, please note that if this investment is extending beyond 6 months OR due date for filing your tax returns (whichever is earlier), you would need to open a Capital Gain Account Scheme (CGAS) account with a nationalized bank and park the capital gain amount in it for reinvestment.

Now answering your queries

Query 1 - If the capital gain amount does not exceed Rs. 2 Crores then you could reinvest in 2 residential units. This however is a one time option and cannot be used again in any other year.

Query 2 - Yes you could add their names but they would be treated as name-sake owners and for all purposes of taxation, you would be taxed singly.

Query 3 - You can add their name as proportionate owners to the value of their contribution. The taxation of income in that case would be based on their contribution

Query 4 - The answer to this would depend on the valuation report. Nevertheless, you could derive the indexed cost yourself by multiplying a factor of 3.48 to the cost. An example would be as follows:

Suppose the cost is Rs. 2.98 Lakhs
Indexed cost would be Rs. 2.98 Lakhs x 348 / 100 OR 2.98 Lakhs x 3.48 = Rs. 10.37 Lakhs

I am 37 years old and a govt servant.i just recently started sip in four funds 1.Mirae asset large and midcap fund direct growth. _1k 2.quant large and mid cap fund direct growth_1k 3.kotak equity opportunities fund direct growth_1k 4.icici prudential retirement fund pure equity plan direct growth -5k Is it good for a term like 10 years?and if i want to invest 5k more then where should i invest for a term of 15 to 20 years.please advice .thank you
Ans: As a government servant at 37, planning for the future is crucial. Starting SIPs in mutual funds is a wise step, but evaluating and refining your strategy can optimize your returns. This analysis will guide you through your current investments and suggest additional avenues for a long-term horizon.

Current SIP Analysis

You've begun SIPs in four mutual funds with a 10-year perspective:

Mirae Asset Large and Midcap Fund
Quant Large and Midcap Fund
Kotak Equity Opportunities Fund
ICICI Prudential Retirement Fund Pure Equity Plan
Your current allocation in these funds is commendable. Let's evaluate the benefits and potential improvements.

1. Mirae Asset Large and Midcap Fund

This fund invests in both large and midcap stocks. It offers growth potential from midcaps and stability from large caps. This balanced approach can yield good returns over the long term.

2. Quant Large and Midcap Fund

Similar to the Mirae Asset Fund, this fund also diversifies between large and midcap stocks. Diversification is a key strategy to mitigate risk while aiming for growth.

3. Kotak Equity Opportunities Fund

This fund focuses on equity opportunities across market caps. It's known for good management and consistent performance. It adds diversity to your portfolio.

4. ICICI Prudential Retirement Fund Pure Equity Plan

This fund is designed for long-term goals like retirement. It invests primarily in equities, which can offer higher returns over an extended period.

Your portfolio currently has a good mix of large-cap stability and mid-cap growth potential. However, since you're considering a long-term investment horizon of 15-20 years, let's explore where you can invest an additional Rs 5,000 per month.

Evaluating Direct Funds vs Regular Funds

You've invested in direct plans, which typically have lower expense ratios. However, regular funds through a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) have their advantages. A CFP provides personalized advice, timely reviews, and adjustments to your portfolio. These services can potentially enhance your investment performance, justifying the slightly higher expense ratios.

Long-term Investment Strategy

For a long-term investment horizon of 15-20 years, consider the following factors:

Diversification: Spread investments across different asset classes and sectors.
Risk Tolerance: Understand your risk appetite and invest accordingly.
Consistent Review: Regularly review and adjust your portfolio based on market conditions and personal goals.
Recommended Investment Avenues

To invest an additional Rs 5,000 per month, here are some funds and strategies to consider:

1. Flexi Cap Funds

Flexi cap funds invest in stocks across market capitalizations. They offer flexibility to shift investments between large, mid, and small caps based on market conditions. This dynamic allocation can capture opportunities across the spectrum and provide robust returns over the long term.

2. Mid Cap Funds

Mid cap funds focus on medium-sized companies with high growth potential. These companies often grow faster than large caps and can offer higher returns. However, they come with higher risk, suitable for a long-term horizon.

3. Sectoral or Thematic Funds

These funds invest in specific sectors like technology, healthcare, or financial services. Investing in a growing sector can yield substantial returns. However, they are riskier and require careful selection and timing. For example, the healthcare sector in India is poised for significant growth due to increasing health awareness and spending.

4. International Funds

Investing in international funds provides exposure to global markets. This diversification can reduce risk associated with the Indian market. It also allows you to capitalize on the growth of developed economies and emerging markets. For instance, a fund investing in US technology stocks can offer high growth potential.

5. Balanced or Hybrid Funds

Balanced funds invest in both equity and debt instruments. They provide growth potential with equity and stability with debt. This mix can be suitable for moderate risk tolerance and long-term investment. These funds can provide a cushion during market volatility, ensuring smoother returns.

6. Multi-Asset Funds

Multi-asset funds diversify across various asset classes, including equity, debt, and gold. This diversification reduces risk and can provide steady returns. Investing in multiple assets helps in balancing the portfolio against market fluctuations.

The Benefits of Actively Managed Funds

While index funds passively track market indices, actively managed funds have fund managers making strategic decisions. Actively managed funds aim to outperform the market, providing higher returns. They adjust portfolios based on market trends, economic conditions, and company performance. This active management justifies the slightly higher expense ratios, as it can potentially lead to better returns than passive funds.

Implementing the Strategy

Based on the analysis, here's a suggested allocation for your additional Rs 5,000 investment:

Flexi Cap Fund: Rs 1,500
Mid Cap Fund: Rs 1,000
Sectoral/Thematic Fund: Rs 1,000
International Fund: Rs 1,000
Multi-Asset Fund: Rs 500
This allocation provides a balanced mix of growth potential and risk mitigation.

Regular Review and Adjustment

Investing is not a one-time activity. Regularly review your portfolio to ensure it aligns with your goals. A Certified Financial Planner can assist in this process, providing insights and adjustments based on market trends and your evolving financial situation.

Investing for the long term requires a strategic approach. Your current SIPs are a good start, and with the additional Rs 5,000 investment, you can further strengthen your portfolio. Diversification across different asset classes and sectors is key to maximizing returns and minimizing risk.

Consider the benefits of regular funds through a Certified Financial Planner. While they have higher expense ratios, the personalized advice and active management can enhance your investment performance.

Focus on a balanced mix of flexi cap, mid cap, sectoral/thematic, international, and multi-asset funds. This diversified approach can capture growth opportunities across markets and sectors, ensuring a robust and resilient portfolio.

Regularly review your investments, adjust based on performance and market conditions, and stay committed to your long-term goals. With careful planning and strategic investments, you can build a substantial corpus for your future needs.

I am 28 years old, I have 18 lakhs invested in stocks and close to 8 lakhs with now monthly SIP of 45000 in MF. I hold no FDs and I have close to 7 lakhs as liquid fund. I do not own my house, I live with my parents in hometown and unmarried. How should I diversify my investments ? Also what are the suggestions as I currently do not own house and Car
Ans: Your current financial landscape includes a healthy mix of stocks, mutual funds, and liquid funds. You’re 28 years old, unmarried, and living with your parents, which gives you a strong base to diversify and grow your investments. Let’s delve into how you can optimize your portfolio and plan for your future needs.

Evaluating Your Current Portfolio
You’ve made some great strides already. Having Rs 18 lakhs in stocks and Rs 8 lakhs in mutual funds is commendable. You also have a monthly SIP of Rs 45,000, which is substantial and shows commitment to regular investing. Your Rs 7 lakhs in liquid funds offer a good emergency cushion.

However, diversification is key to mitigating risks and maximizing returns. Let’s explore how you can enhance your portfolio for better balance and growth.

Enhancing Your Mutual Fund Investments
While your SIP of Rs 45,000 is impressive, it's important to assess the mix of mutual funds you’re invested in. It’s crucial to have a blend of large-cap, mid-cap, and small-cap funds to spread out risk and potential returns.

Actively managed funds, as opposed to index funds, offer professional management and the potential for higher returns. Fund managers use their expertise to pick stocks that they believe will outperform the market. This active selection can lead to better performance, especially in a volatile market.

Expanding Your Investment Horizons
Debt Funds for Stability

Given that you don’t have fixed deposits, consider adding some debt funds to your portfolio. Debt funds can provide stability and regular income, which can counterbalance the volatility of your equity investments. They are generally less risky and can offer better returns than traditional fixed deposits.

Gold Investments for Hedging

Gold has always been a trusted asset in India. It acts as a hedge against inflation and currency fluctuations. Investing in gold ETFs or sovereign gold bonds can be a good way to add this asset to your portfolio without the hassle of physical storage.

Exploring New Investment Avenues
International Funds for Global Exposure

To truly diversify, consider investing in international mutual funds. These funds invest in global markets, giving you exposure to international equities. This can spread your risk further and tap into the growth potential of developed and emerging markets.

Sectoral and Thematic Funds

If you have a keen understanding of certain sectors, like technology or pharmaceuticals, sectoral funds can be a good choice. These funds focus on specific sectors, allowing you to benefit from sector-specific growth. However, they come with higher risks, so ensure you balance them with broader-based funds.

Building for Future Goals

Starting early with retirement planning is wise. Consider investing in equity-linked savings schemes (ELSS) for tax benefits and long-term growth. Also, look into setting up a Public Provident Fund (PPF) account, which offers tax benefits and a secure return.

Insurance for Security

Ensure you have adequate insurance coverage. Health insurance is crucial to cover any medical emergencies. Additionally, a term insurance policy will provide financial security to your dependents in case of any unforeseen events.

Saving for a Home and Car
You mentioned not owning a house or car. While it’s not urgent, planning for these big purchases is essential.

Home Purchase Planning

Given the rising real estate costs, it's smart to start a dedicated savings plan for your home purchase. Consider a mix of safer debt instruments and balanced funds for this purpose. The goal is to have a sizeable down payment ready when you decide to buy a home.

Car Purchase Planning

For a car, set up a separate savings account or a recurring deposit. This will ensure that you have the funds when you're ready to make the purchase without disrupting your long-term investment plans.

Leveraging Professional Guidance
While you’ve done a great job managing your investments so far, it might be beneficial to seek advice from a Certified Financial Planner. They can provide tailored advice based on your goals and risk appetite, ensuring your investments are optimized for your needs.

Index funds, which aim to replicate the performance of a specific index, lack the flexibility to adapt to market changes. They may not perform well in volatile markets and offer no potential for outperforming the market. Actively managed funds, in contrast, can be adjusted based on market conditions and provide opportunities for better returns.

Advantages of Regular Funds
Investing through a Mutual Fund Distributor (MFD) with CFP credentials offers several benefits over direct funds. MFDs provide valuable advice, portfolio management, and timely rebalancing. They help you navigate through market complexities and make informed decisions, which is crucial for maximizing returns and managing risks.

You are in a strong position financially, and with thoughtful diversification, you can enhance your portfolio further. By balancing your investments across various asset classes and ensuring you have a mix of stability and growth, you can secure your financial future.

Remember, financial planning is a continuous process. Regularly review your portfolio, stay updated with market trends, and adjust your investments as needed. Your commitment to saving and investing will pay off in the long run.

Hello Sir, I am Srinivas. 53 years. I have 5 years service remaining. I have 1.4 crores in FD. On retirement, I can get 2 crores from PF, Superannuation & Gratuity. I do not have any loans. I can save 1.3 lakhs per month till my retirement. I have a son working. I need to keep 10 lakhs for his wedding. I have 2 flats - one given on rent & getting 1.5 lakhs per year on rent. I need 1 lakh per month for regular expenses. How I need to plan my finance considering my retirement. Request your advice. Thanks.
Ans: Hello Srinivas,

Firstly, it's commendable that you have planned ahead and saved significantly. Let's explore the best strategies to ensure a comfortable and secure retirement for you.

Current Financial Snapshot
You are 53 years old with five years until retirement. Here’s a quick overview of your current financial position:

Fixed Deposits: Rs 1.4 crores
Expected Retirement Corpus: Rs 2 crores from PF, Superannuation, and Gratuity
Monthly Savings Potential: Rs 1.3 lakhs
Monthly Expenses: Rs 1 lakh
Rental Income: Rs 1.5 lakhs per year
Upcoming Expense: Rs 10 lakhs for your son's wedding
No existing loans
This is a solid financial foundation. However, strategic planning will help ensure it lasts throughout your retirement.

Evaluating Fixed Deposits
Fixed Deposits (FDs) provide security and assured returns, but they often yield lower returns compared to other investment options. While FDs can be part of your portfolio for safety and liquidity, over-relying on them might not be the most efficient strategy for growth.

Transition to Actively Managed Funds
Given the disadvantages of index funds, such as lower potential returns and lack of active management, actively managed mutual funds are a preferable alternative. These funds can potentially offer higher returns through professional management. Regular funds, where you invest through a Certified Financial Planner (CFP), come with the added benefit of expert guidance and personalized strategies, ensuring that your investments are well-aligned with your financial goals.

Monthly Savings Allocation
You can save Rs 1.3 lakhs per month until retirement. Here’s how you could allocate these savings:

Mutual Funds: Diversify your investment across large-cap, mid-cap, and small-cap funds. This balance can provide stability while also leveraging growth opportunities. Actively managed funds should be the focus here.

Balanced Funds: These funds invest in a mix of equity and debt, providing growth potential with lower volatility. They can be a good addition for risk management.

Debt Funds: Considering your approaching retirement, debt funds can offer stable returns with lower risk, complementing the more aggressive equity investments.

Building a Retirement Corpus
By the time you retire, you will have accumulated a significant corpus. Let's detail how to manage this:

Existing Savings and Expected Corpus
Current FD: Rs 1.4 crores
Monthly Savings for 5 Years: Rs 1.3 lakhs x 60 months = Rs 78 lakhs
Retirement Benefits: Rs 2 crores
This totals to approximately Rs 4.18 crores (excluding interest and returns on investments).

Creating a Withdrawal Strategy
A well-planned withdrawal strategy is crucial to ensure that your retirement corpus lasts. Here are some steps:

Emergency Fund: Set aside an emergency fund equivalent to 6-12 months of expenses. This fund should be kept in liquid assets like a savings account or a liquid mutual fund.

Monthly Expenses: Your monthly expense requirement is Rs 1 lakh. With your current corpus, you need to ensure this amount is sustainably withdrawn without depleting your funds prematurely.

Systematic Withdrawal Plan (SWP): Invest a portion of your corpus in mutual funds and use an SWP to receive a fixed monthly income. This can provide regular cash flow while allowing the remaining investment to grow.

Rental Income: You have rental income of Rs 1.5 lakhs per year. Consider this as supplementary income for unexpected expenses or lifestyle enhancements.

Managing Your Son’s Wedding Expense
You have planned Rs 10 lakhs for your son's wedding. Here’s how to manage this without disrupting your financial plan:

Short-Term Investment: Place this amount in a short-term debt fund or a fixed deposit. This will keep the funds safe and liquid, ready for use when needed.

Liquid Funds: These funds can provide slightly better returns than a savings account and are easily accessible for large expenses like a wedding.

Ensuring Healthcare Security
Healthcare costs can be significant during retirement. Ensure you have adequate health insurance coverage:

Health Insurance: Review your current health insurance policies. Consider enhancing your coverage if needed, given rising medical costs.

Critical Illness Insurance: This can provide a lump sum amount upon diagnosis of a critical illness, safeguarding your retirement corpus.

Estate Planning
Estate planning ensures that your assets are distributed according to your wishes and can also provide for your dependents after your passing. Consider the following:

Will: Draft a will to clearly state how you want your assets distributed. This can prevent legal disputes and ensure your family is taken care of.

Nominees and Beneficiaries: Ensure that all your investments, insurance policies, and bank accounts have updated nominees.

Adjusting Investments Post-Retirement
Upon retirement, your investment strategy should shift towards preservation and income generation. Here’s how to adjust:

Shift to Debt-Oriented Investments: Move a significant portion of your corpus into debt-oriented instruments to reduce risk. This includes debt mutual funds, fixed deposits, and government bonds.

Income Funds: These funds focus on generating regular income with lower risk. They can be a reliable source of monthly income.

Hybrid Funds: These funds invest in both equity and debt, offering a balance of growth and stability. They can be a part of your post-retirement portfolio.

Addressing Inflation
Inflation can erode your purchasing power over time. It’s essential to factor this into your retirement planning:

Equity Exposure: Maintain a small portion of your investments in equity even after retirement. Equities typically provide higher returns, helping to combat inflation.

Real Estate Income: Your rental income can also increase over time, providing a hedge against inflation.

Reviewing and Rebalancing
Regular review and rebalancing of your portfolio are crucial to ensure it remains aligned with your financial goals:

Annual Reviews: Conduct an annual review of your investments and financial plan. This helps to make necessary adjustments based on performance and changing needs.

Rebalancing: Adjust the asset allocation of your portfolio periodically to maintain the desired balance between risk and return.

Srinivas, you have a strong foundation and clear goals. With careful planning and disciplined investing, you can ensure a financially secure and comfortable retirement. Diversify your investments, focus on actively managed funds, and regularly review your portfolio.

It's also essential to maintain a balance between growth and safety, ensuring that your funds last throughout your retirement. Seek the guidance of a Certified Financial Planner to refine and implement these strategies effectively.

Kasam

Kasam Shaikh  |5 Answers  |Ask -

AI Tech Expert - Answered on Jul 14, 2024

Hi, I completed my BTech in Computer Science with a specialization in Cyber Security in 2023. Since then, I have been actively applying to numerous MNCs and small organizations for job opportunities, but unfortunately, I have not been successful in securing employment. In December 2023, I joined Infosys as a Process Executive, but I resigned in February. I then moved on to another company specializing in expert networks in February 2023, but unfortunately, I was laid off. Since then, despite applying to over 1500 companies, I have not received any responses. Additionally, I have obtained certification as a Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) from EC-Council. Now, I am feeling confused and considering pursuing a Master's degree from a public university in Italy starting in October 2024. Can you advise me if I am on the right path, or what I should do next? Please provide a brief explanation. Also, I am currently 25 years old and still unemployed.
Ans: Pursuing a Master's degree in a specialized field can be a good step forward, especially if you're finding it challenging to secure a job. Studying abroad can provide you with international exposure and potentially open up more global job opportunities. Universities often have strong industry connections and career services that can help with internships and job placements. Given your current situation, this path seems promising.

However, continue applying for jobs and internships, and consider short-term courses or projects to stay engaged and build your resume until your Master's program begins.

Best of Luck!