Financial Planner - Answered on Aug 06, 2023

Colonel Sanjeev Govila (retd) is the founder of Hum Fauji Initiatives, a financial planning company dedicated to the armed forces personnel and their families.
Muthyala Question by Muthyala on Aug 05, 2023Hindi

I have monthly sip investment as follows Rs5000 each in canara robecco Blue chip equity fund and uti midcap fund. Rs2000/- each in tata digital fund,kotak infrastructure and economic reform fund,sbi small cap fund. Is it ok to çontinue them for one child education who is studying 3rd class

Ans: While Canara Robeco Bluechip Equity Fund is a good fund in the large Cap space, there are much better funds in mid cap space than UTI Midcap Funds. Please google and select yourself.

I do not agree with any body using thematic or sectoral funds for long term goals. The other three funds are cyclical and you may not be suitably placed to judge when to get out of them. I would suggest you to choose a flexicap, a multicap and an asset allocator fund instead of the three funds I am referring to.

Disclaimer:
• I have just no idea about your age, future financial goals, your risk profile, other investments and whether you would have the nerves to not get unduly perturbed if stock markets go temporarily down.
• Hence, please note that I am answering your question in absolute isolation to other parameters which should definitely be considered when answering a question of this type.
• I recommend you to also consult a good financial advisor who would look at your complete profile in totality before you act on this advice given by me.

Hi Sir, I am investing in SIP since last 5years and presently below are the SIP's. 1. PARAG PARIKH FLEXI CAP FUND - GROWTH - 20000, 2. SBI FOCUSED EQUITY FUND REGULAR GROWTH -5000 ,3. Mirae Asset Emerging Bluechip Fund - 20000 , 4. Canara Robeco Bluechip Equity Fun - 5000 , 5. Mirae Asset Large Cap - 10000 6. AXIS MIDCAP FUND - 10000 . Apart from SIP , PPF and SSY - 1.5lakh /year each With the SIP's any modification required please suggest. and my goal plan is as my daughter aged 5years now for her Education ,marriage and self retirements after 20 years and a house of 50lakhs at 2030. can it be ok . give more idea on this financial planning base on my goal.
Ans: It's fantastic to see your dedication to investing and planning for your future and your daughter's. Let's dive into your current SIP portfolio and goal planning:
• Firstly, kudos on maintaining a disciplined approach to SIP investing over the past five years. Consistency is key!
• Your SIP portfolio consists of a mix of flexi-cap, large-cap, mid-cap, and focused equity funds, providing diversification across market segments.
• Additionally, investing in PPF and SSY reflects your commitment to long-term savings and securing your daughter's future.
Now, let's focus on your goals:
• Education & Marriage: Allocating funds for your daughter's education and marriage is crucial. Consider estimating the future expenses for these goals and adjusting your investment allocations accordingly.
• Retirement: Planning for your retirement after 20 years is wise. Ensure your investment portfolio aligns with your retirement goals and risk tolerance. Regularly review and adjust your investments as needed.
• Home Purchase: Saving for a house by 2030 is a significant goal. Factor in inflation and property price trends while estimating the required corpus. You may need to increase your savings rate or explore additional investment avenues.
Here are some additional pointers:
• Regular Review: Periodically review your investment portfolio to ensure it remains aligned with your goals and risk tolerance.
• Emergency Fund: Build an emergency fund equivalent to 6-12 months of expenses to handle unforeseen financial challenges.
• Professional Advice: Consider consulting with a Certified Financial Planner to fine-tune your financial plan and receive personalized advice tailored to your goals and circumstances.
Remember, financial planning is a dynamic process, and adjustments may be needed along the way. Keep up the good work, and if you have any further questions or need assistance, feel free to reach out. You're on the right track to financial success!

I m 46yr old married and only earning person of my family,i have two daughters one is 13 Yrs old and other one is 12 yrs with long term Investment horizon and will transfer the shares to their name once they have majors ,I would like your comments on my monthly SIP Investment of Rs 65,000 started from January 2024, by splitting following stocks : 1.RIL -Rs 10,000 PM 2.Jio Finance Rs 10,000PM 3.Tata Motor Rs10,000PM 4. Tata Power Rs 10,000PM 5.Jyothy Labs Rs10,000PM 6.Adani Green Rs 10,000 PM 7.Savitha Oil tech Rs 5,000PM i wish to continue as long as afford to spare extra Income, please give your view .
Ans: Evaluating Your Stock Portfolio
You have chosen a diverse set of stocks, spanning various sectors. This diversification can help balance risks and rewards.

Analysis of Selected Stocks
Reliance Industries Limited (RIL): A strong, diversified conglomerate with stable growth prospects.

Jio Finance: Benefitting from the growing financial services sector, though relatively new and more volatile.

Tata Motors: A key player in the automotive industry, with potential growth in electric vehicles.

Tata Power: Focus on renewable energy is promising, but the sector can be volatile.

Jyothy Labs: A good player in the FMCG sector, offering stability.

Adani Green: High growth potential in the renewable energy sector, but with high volatility.

Savita Oil Technologies: A niche player in the lubricants industry, offering moderate growth and stability.

Diversification and Risk
Your portfolio covers multiple sectors: energy, finance, automotive, FMCG, and industrials. This diversification can reduce sector-specific risks.

Considerations for Stock Investments
Direct stock investments require regular monitoring and a deep understanding of each company. They can offer high returns but also come with higher risk and volatility compared to mutual funds.

Advantages of Mutual Funds
Mutual funds provide professional management, diversification, and convenience. Actively managed funds can potentially outperform individual stocks due to professional expertise and continuous market analysis.

SIP in Mutual Funds vs. Stocks
Systematic Investment Plans (SIPs) in mutual funds offer regular investing with the benefits of rupee cost averaging and compounding. Mutual funds are less volatile and require less active management compared to stocks.

Alignment with Long-term Goals
Given your long-term goals and the desire to transfer shares to your daughters, mutual funds might offer more stable growth. They can be more suitable for long-term wealth creation with less active involvement required.

Recommendations
Evaluate Performance Regularly: Monitor the performance of your selected stocks regularly. Stay informed about company news and sector developments.

Consider Adding Mutual Funds: To balance the portfolio, consider adding mutual funds. This can provide diversification and professional management.

Risk Management: Assess your risk tolerance and adjust investments accordingly. Diversifying between stocks and mutual funds can provide a balanced approach.

Consult a Certified Financial Planner: For personalized advice, consult a Certified Financial Planner (CFP). They can help tailor your investment strategy to your goals and risk tolerance.

Your current stock portfolio is diversified and has potential for growth. However, incorporating mutual funds can offer stability and professional management, aligning well with your long-term goals.

I am 29 year old bengali female married to a Bihar guy. We know each other since college and we have been married for 3 years. Things began to turn bitter after few months of our marriage. My husband is a govt. Employee has seen extreme poverty in his childhood. I belong to upper middle class family. Both of our parents were against our marriage. Now his family especially mother pressurise him for money that is beyond our reach. She thinks I stop him to give money. She constantly abuses my husband. He has two elder brother who are good for nothing,both are married have kids and even they expect financial help from us. I am very tensed we can't even think of spending a penny for our personal enjoyment. My husband understands all these but everytime falls into prey of my MIL'S emotional drama. She fakes illness or fights for money. I can't even share this with my family.

I am very sorry to hear that you are in such a situation. It is indeed a very complex situation. Financial troubles can disrupt marital bliss. But it has to be addressed, even if it leads to conflicts. Speak to your husband about your concerns. Politely tell him that his family's demands and his response to them are causing a financial crisis in your home. Sit together and discuss how much financial support can you provide to his family and what's beyond reasonable. Have a monthly budget and since his family will continue asking for money, keep some money (what you have decided together) for the same. Keep an emergency fund and most importantly, have a decent amount of savings.

After all these discussions, if things still don't change, consider going for marriage counseling. You gave up an affluent life to be with him; he can surely give up certain things that are clearly unreasonable. A third neutral party can point this out without you having to say it.

You can also suggest your husband push his family members to get better jobs so that they can provide for themselves. Besides everything, don't forget to take care of yourself. Be in touch with your family and share your worries with someone close to you. And maintain regular check-ins with your husband. It can't be easy on him either.

Which institution is best to subscribe for online prepation of JEE. Candidate here has also joined a offline/regular classes in a small town. Please suggest.
Ans: ALLEN Online Test Series. User-friendly / Instant Result with Answers and Time Taken for Each Question.

Some IMPORTANT Preparation Strategies for JEE Preparation: (Wherever the Subject 'You' is used here, it refers for your Candidate). (1) Whenever you study at home, study for 45-minutes. Then take a break of 10-minutes when you can move away from your study table, walk, have some water & relax. If you continue studying beyond 45-minutes, your concentration power will go down, resulting to low output. Most students commit this mistake. (2) On daily basis (morning or evening whichever will be convenient to you), do yoga or meditation or physical exercises or play any games / sports for at least 30-45 minutes. This will further reduce your stress / distractions. (3) Study tough topics / tough subjects (applicable to you) early morning with your fresh mind. (4) Eat a lot of green vegetables / fruits which you can afford for & avoid soft drinks (5) Every day nigh, before going to bed, revise whatever you have studied during the day. (6) Also, revise every week whatever you have covered till date (here your short-notes which you should prepare will be helpful). (7) Keep practizing questions on topics which you have covered either offline or online (8) Give utmost importance to wrongly answered / difficult / complicated / tough questions and have a separate note-book specially for this for each subject (PCM) (8) You might be aware that JEE rank is allotted on the basis of highest score in Maths, followed by Physics & Chemistry. Practice more and more in Maths, till you reach Speed & Accuracy (9) By the end of 11th / 12th standard (December-January), attempt fully syllabus online test series, evaluate and analyze your performance such as, (a) which topic / unit / concept you are weak which needs your revision and improvement as this will disturb you when you appear in actual JEE exam (b) abnormal time taken to attempt any question which you can come to know from Online Test Series which you should reduce (c) which questions you skipped and why? (10) Make 100% utilization of 'Doubt Clearing Sessions' of Offline Class you have joined. All the BEST.

To know more on ‘ Careers | Education | Jobs’, please ask / FOLLOW me in RediffGURU here.

I am 37 years old , and having 2.10 lacs salary in hand, I have SIP of Rs. 20k, apart from SIP I have invested in stock current market value is 10L, I have three flats which is cost approx 2.5 cr, i have a home loan as well of 35 lacs. Kindly guide me how I can achieve the milestone of 10 crore corpus in next 15 years.
Ans: Achieving a significant corpus like Rs. 10 crores in 15 years requires careful planning, disciplined investing, and leveraging various assets and investment avenues. Let's explore a comprehensive strategy to reach this financial milestone.

Current Financial Snapshot
Income and Investments
At 37 years old, with a salary of Rs. 2.10 lakhs per month, you have a solid foundation. Here's a snapshot of your current investments:

SIP Investment: Rs. 20,000 per month
Stock Investments: Current market value of Rs. 10 lakhs
Real Estate Holdings: Three flats valued at approximately Rs. 2.5 crores
Liabilities: Home loan of Rs. 35 lakhs
Strategic Roadmap to Achieve Rs. 10 Crore Corpus
1. Optimize Investment Portfolio
Review Existing Investments
Evaluate the performance and alignment of your current investments with long-term goals:

Stocks: Assess the potential for growth and consider diversification if necessary.
Real Estate: While real estate is valuable, ensure it aligns with your liquidity needs and financial goals. Consider rental income potential versus capital appreciation.
SIPs: Continue disciplined investing. Evaluate if the current SIP amount needs to be increased to meet the Rs. 10 crore target.
2. Increase Savings and Investments
Maximizing Monthly Contributions
Increase SIP Amount: Depending on your surplus income, consider increasing the SIP amount gradually. This accelerates wealth accumulation.
Bonus and Windfalls: Direct any windfall gains towards investments rather than discretionary spending.
3. Diversification and Risk Management
Balancing Risk and Return
Asset Allocation: Diversify across asset classes such as equity, debt, and possibly alternative investments like gold or international funds.
Risk Management: Regularly review and rebalance the portfolio to mitigate risks associated with market volatility.
4. Debt Management
Addressing Home Loan
Early Repayment: Explore options to accelerate home loan repayment to reduce interest burden and improve cash flow for investments.
Debt Consolidation: Consolidate high-interest debts if applicable to streamline finances and improve liquidity for investments.
5. Investment Avenues
Exploring Options Beyond SIPs
Equity Mutual Funds: Actively managed funds can potentially outperform passive funds like index funds due to strategic decisions by fund managers.
Debt Instruments: Consider debt funds for stability and regular income, balancing the portfolio against equity market fluctuations.
Systematic Transfer Plans (STP): Utilize STPs to stagger lump sum investments into equity funds, reducing timing risks.
6. Professional Guidance and Monitoring
Leveraging Certified Financial Planner (CFP)
Holistic Financial Planning: Engage with a CFP to develop a customized financial plan considering income, investments, goals, and risk appetite.
Periodic Reviews: Regularly review investment performance and adjust strategies based on changing life circumstances and market conditions.
Addressing Existing Policies and Investments
7. Insurance and Investment Policies
Surrender and Reinvest
LIC, ULIPs, Investment cum Insurance Policies: Evaluate existing policies for surrender value and consider reinvesting in more lucrative investment avenues like mutual funds for better returns.
Legal and Recovery Aspects
8. Recovering Debt
Legal Recourse
Documentation: Gather all evidence and communication related to the debt owed by your friend.
Legal Consultation: Seek legal advice to explore options like sending legal notices, mediation, or filing a suit in a court of law if necessary.
Financial Impact: While pursuing legal action, continue focusing on building your financial assets through disciplined investments.
Achieving a corpus of Rs. 10 crores in 15 years demands a balanced approach involving disciplined savings, strategic investments, and proactive debt management. Leveraging existing assets like stocks and real estate alongside increasing SIPs and exploring diverse investment avenues is key. Engaging with a Certified Financial Planner ensures a structured approach, optimizing your path towards financial independence and security.

Dr Hemalata

Dr Hemalata Arora  |194 Answers  |Ask -

General Physician - Answered on Jun 21, 2024

I am 77 years old. I was taking medicine for high BP from the age of 50 years.I was very active doing yoga regularly in the morning and doing walk in the evening. I do not smoke and do not drink as well. I am a person with height weight normal as per the standard chart. I was very active doing my job and never use to get tired. I worked for six years in Central Govt, thirty years in PSU and seventeen years in Private Organisations. I used to believe that " a Person should never retire from work". I stopped going to work from March 2020 after the Covid 19 spread in India. During a routine check up, my doctor mentioned on my prescription as "Stable Angina". I asked about it but he replied, it is nothing, do not worry. I was not having any pain etc. But this remark of Stable Angina. was written on my prescription on every visit. In June 2022, I got a CT Angiography done just to know the deposits in my arteries. It was found to be more in all the five arteries. But I had no symptoms of any pain or breathlessness while moving or working.In August 2022, I got some problem in my left eye, went to eye specialist, he observed a little deposit in eye nerve. He tried to break it but could not. I went for Angiography. All the arteries were found with deposits but still I had no pain etc. I was operated for Heart By pass Surgery on 22.9.22 and released from Hospital on 1.10.22. I was put on High Protein Diet. During Jan 23 to July 23, my Blood Urea Nitrogen & Urea got up the required level.High Protein Diet was stopped and advised take more Fruits. BUN & Urea came normal. More fruits were being taken. It caused potassium level to go up. Then in fruits also restriction imposed on banana, coconut water & citrus fruits. Now I am on restricted diet. BUN & Urea are normal but potassium remains fluctuating. Now I am alright but feel very weak. I do little walk but get tired soon. I am not able to do yoga due to low energy. Vitamin supplements are being taken but not getting strength. Even feels stability problem. While standing feels giddiness and feels that i may fall. I am also feeling severe pain in my arms muscles. Now I am taking medicines for BP, Cholesterol, Blood Thinner, Enlarged Prostrate Gland, Vitamin supplement. I always think why I am feeling so many problems after Heart Bye Pass Surgery. Please advise.
Ans: I feel you need your medications adjusted. They're probably making you feel like this.