Home > Money > Question
Need Expert Advice?Our Gurus Can Help

Sanjeev Govila  |282 Answers  |Ask -

Financial Planner - Answered on Sep 23, 2023

Asked by Anonymous - Sep 20, 2023Translate

I'm 36 year old. My father got the amount of share from his father property. He brought the old house with portion of the money and brought some Gold to my Sister. Later due to leakage problem I have planned demolish the house and planed for construction of new house in that portion. My father not done any savings. For the construction I have invested my money. Now my sister asking for the money. Whether I need to pay share in this? Since both parents are still with me.

Ans: As per the Hindu Succession Act 1956, all the children of Hindu male fall into class 1 heirs and all are equally eligible to get the claim or benefit in father’s property. In your case, property has been registered in your father’s name and as per the Hindu Succession Act, your sister is equally eligible to claim her portion. At the time of claim, you can showcase your expenses which you have incurred on the property with valid proofs.

If your father had made a will and declared you as a beneficiary to the same property, in that case, your sister would not have been eligible to get the share from the property.
DISCLAIMER: The content of this post by the expert is the personal view of the rediffGURU. Users are advised to pursue the information provided by the rediffGURU only as a source of information to be as a point of reference and to rely on their own judgement when making a decision.

You may like to see similar questions and answers below


Tejas Chokshi  |126 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on Apr 25, 2023

Asked by Anonymous - Mar 28, 2023Translate
Part-I 1. My Father was a central govt pensioner, died in 2020 2. My Mother died in 1990( first wife to my father) 3. Father got married again – who was a divorcee(second wife) with 3 children at the time of marriage with my father 4. After my father’s death, second wife left us, as she was getting my family pension as nominee 5. My maternal grand father gifted a plot at the time of her marriage( first wife) with my father 6. My father build a house on the plot g+1( it is in commercial area- front is shop and back house and in 1st floor same pattern) – schedule property-1 Part II 1. We are 4 children to our parents( 1 and 2) 2. 3 female and 1 male( myself) 3. My eldest sister died in 2005 leaving 1 male child and her husband behind 4. My 2nd elder sister married but no kids 5. 3rd elder sister married having 2 children 1-male and-1-female 6. I am also married having 2 children both are male 7. Both my sisters are working and husbands also working 8. Myself running a shop and staying with family in schedule property-1 9. My father purchase a plot in my name in 2015 schedule property -2 Part-iii 10. My both sisters asking share in schedule property-1 after my father’s death 11. I suggested them, I will give the schedule property-2 as a gift but that time they did not accepted Now 12. One of my sister called me, asked to sell the schedule property-2 and pay the amount as a share amount of schedule property-1. 13. I am ready to do that, in future also its their right to get the share from schedule property-1 Question How can I handle the issue If I sell the schedule property -2, will I have to pay the tax to the government Can I gift the schedule property -2 to my sisters how can i transfer the schedule property-1 on my name Please Suggest all option in dealing this case and also if any legal problems persists after selling the schedule property-2
Ans: Dealing with family property issues can be complicated, and it's essential to understand the legal and tax implications before making any decisions. Here are some options you can consider:

Sell Schedule Property-2: If you decide to sell the Schedule Property-2 to pay your sisters' share in Schedule Property-1, you may have to pay capital gains tax on the profit earned from the sale. However, you can claim an exemption from capital gains tax by investing the sale proceeds in specified assets, such as residential property or bonds, within a certain period. It's best to consult a tax expert to understand the tax implications and explore the available options.

Gift Schedule Property-2: You can gift the Schedule Property-2 to your sisters, but it may attract gift tax. However, you can also consider transferring it as a family settlement, which is a legal agreement between family members that divides assets and liabilities in a fair and mutually agreeable manner. It's advisable to consult a lawyer to draft a family settlement deed and ensure that all legal formalities are completed.

Transfer Schedule Property-1: If you want to transfer the Schedule Property-1 on your name, you need to execute a gift deed or a sale deed, depending on whether you want to transfer it as a gift or sell it to yourself. However, if there are other legal heirs or claimants to the property, such as your sisters, they may contest the transfer, and you may have to go through legal proceedings to establish your ownership rights.

Mediation: If you and your sisters cannot agree on a solution, you can consider mediation, which is a voluntary process where a neutral third party helps you reach a mutually agreeable solution. Mediation can save time and money compared to going to court, and it allows you to maintain family relationships.

In summary, before making any decisions, it's best to consult a tax expert and a lawyer to understand the legal and tax implications and explore all available options. Additionally, it's essential to communicate openly and honestly with your sisters and try to find a solution that is fair and mutually agreeable.

Tejas Chokshi  |126 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on Apr 27, 2023

Latest Questions
DISCLAIMER: The content of this post by the expert is the personal view of the rediffGURU. Investment in securities market are subject to market risks. Read all the related document carefully before investing. The securities quoted are for illustration only and are not recommendatory. Users are advised to pursue the information provided by the rediffGURU only as a source of information and as a point of reference and to rely on their own judgement when making a decision. RediffGURUS is an intermediary as per India's Information Technology Act.


You haven't logged in yet. To ask a question, Please Log in below

A verification OTP will be sent to this
Mobile Number / Email

Enter OTP
A 6 digit code has been sent to

Resend OTP in120seconds

Dear User, You have not registered yet. Please register by filling the fields below to get expert answers from our Gurus
Sign up

By signing up, you agree to our
Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy

Already have an account?

Enter OTP
A 6 digit code has been sent to Mobile

Resend OTP in120seconds