Samraat

Samraat Jadhav  |1818 Answers  |Ask -

Stock Market Expert - Answered on Feb 08, 2024

Samraat Jadhav is the founder of Prosperity Wealth Adviser.
He is a SEBI-registered investment and research analyst and has over 18 years of experience in managing high-end portfolios.
Gopal Question by Gopal on May 10, 2023Hindi

Holding 350 shares of ROYAL ORCHID HOTEL purchased at Rs.319. I can hold for six months. Your advice?

Ans: hold

Disclaimer: Investments in securities are subject to market RISKS. Read all the related documents carefully before investing. Please consult your appointed/paid financial adviser before taking any decision. The securities quoted are for illustration only and are not recommendatory. Registration granted by SEBI, membership of BASL and certification from NISM in no way guarantee performance of the intermediary or provide any assurance of returns to investors.

Is it wise to pay off the entire bank loan on a house built on my husband's ancestorial property using entire PF money to avoid paying high EMIs? The house can never be sold as it is on a prestigious ancestorial land. I am retired and do not have any regular income. Please advice.
Ans: I understand your situation and will provide detailed advice. Let’s dive into the details to help you make an informed decision.

Understanding Your Financial Position

Your question brings up some important financial concerns. You have retired, don’t have a regular income, and are considering using your Provident Fund (PF) money to pay off a bank loan on a house. This house is on your husband's ancestral property, which holds significant sentimental value and cannot be sold. These are critical points to consider before making a decision.

The Importance of Emergency Funds

One of the primary rules in personal finance is to maintain an emergency fund. This fund should ideally cover at least six months of your living expenses. Since you are retired and do not have a regular income, it’s crucial to have a financial cushion to cover unexpected expenses such as medical emergencies or home repairs. Before using your entire PF to pay off the loan, ensure that you have set aside enough money for such contingencies.

Evaluating Your PF Money Utilisation

Using your entire PF to pay off the loan might give you relief from the high EMIs, but it will also deplete a significant portion of your savings. Given your retired status, you need to carefully consider the consequences of using this money. Once your PF is exhausted, it won’t be easy to rebuild this fund without a regular income.

The High EMI Concern

High EMIs can indeed be a burden, especially when you do not have a steady income stream. However, there are several other strategies you could consider before deciding to use your PF money. It might be worth looking into the possibility of restructuring your loan. Speak to your bank to see if you can extend the tenure of the loan, which would reduce the EMI amount, making it more manageable on a monthly basis.

Exploring Loan Restructuring Options

Banks often offer various loan restructuring options, especially for retired individuals. These options might include extending the loan term, which can significantly reduce your monthly EMIs. While this might mean paying more interest over the life of the loan, it can help ease your monthly financial burden and allow you to retain more of your PF for future needs.

Consider Partial Payments

If paying off the entire loan seems too risky, you might consider making a partial payment. This could reduce the principal amount of the loan, thus lowering your EMIs. You’ll still retain some of your PF money for future needs, and you won’t be entirely depleting your savings.

Benefits of Retaining PF Money

Your PF money is a significant safety net. It’s not just about having cash available; it’s also about the potential returns on that money. If you invest your PF wisely, it can generate returns that might help cover your loan EMIs or other expenses. Consider consulting a Certified Financial Planner to explore investment options that can provide you with regular income or growth potential.

The Emotional Value of Ancestral Property

The house being on prestigious ancestral land adds a layer of complexity. Emotional and sentimental values are important and should be factored into financial decisions. Since selling the property is not an option, it’s crucial to balance emotional considerations with financial practicality. Paying off the loan entirely might feel like a relief, but ensure it doesn’t leave you financially vulnerable.

Disadvantages of Using Entire PF

Using your entire PF money to pay off the loan means you lose out on the compounding benefits of keeping that money invested. Once spent, it’s gone, and you might face financial difficulties if any unexpected expenses arise. It’s important to maintain a balance between reducing your debt and retaining financial liquidity for future needs.

Exploring Alternative Investment Options

Instead of depleting your PF, consider investing in mutual funds through a Certified Financial Planner. Regular funds, managed by experienced professionals, can offer better returns compared to direct funds. This strategy can provide a steady stream of income, which could help in managing your loan EMIs without exhausting your savings.

Actively managed funds have the potential to outperform the market because they are managed by experts who make strategic decisions based on market conditions. While these funds may have higher fees than index funds, the professional management can lead to better returns, especially in a volatile market. By investing in these funds, you can generate returns that might help offset your loan payments.

The Role of Certified Financial Planners

Certified Financial Planners can help you create a diversified investment portfolio tailored to your risk tolerance and financial goals. They provide personalized advice, ensuring that your investments align with your need for income and growth. Working with a professional can help you make informed decisions, rather than depleting your PF.

Ensuring Financial Security

Financial security in retirement is paramount. Your focus should be on maintaining a steady income stream and preserving your savings. Consider all possible options to manage your loan without compromising your financial future. Consult with a Certified Financial Planner to explore ways to generate income from your investments and manage your debt efficiently.

Exploring Family Support

In situations involving ancestral property, family dynamics can play a crucial role. Discuss your financial situation with your family. There might be other family members willing to contribute towards the loan payments, especially if the property holds significant sentimental value for the entire family. Collaborative efforts can ease the financial burden on you.

Evaluating Long-term Financial Health

Consider the long-term implications of using your PF money. Retirement can last many years, and it’s important to ensure that your funds last. Evaluate your monthly expenses, potential future costs, and how much income you need to sustain your lifestyle. A detailed financial plan can help you make the right decision about your PF money.

Medical and Health Considerations

Healthcare costs can be a significant concern in retirement. Ensure you have adequate health insurance and set aside funds for medical emergencies. Using your PF to pay off the loan might leave you financially exposed if unexpected health issues arise. Prioritize your health and financial security.

The Importance of Diversification

Diversifying your investments is key to managing risk and ensuring stable returns. Instead of putting all your money into paying off the loan, consider spreading your investments across different asset classes. This can help mitigate risks and provide you with multiple income streams, enhancing your financial stability.

Benefits of Regular Investment through CFP

Investing through a Certified Financial Planner can provide access to a range of financial products suited to your needs. Regular investments in mutual funds, managed by professionals, can offer better returns and financial security. These planners can help you create a balanced portfolio, aligning with your retirement goals.

Financial Education and Empowerment

Empower yourself with financial knowledge. Understanding the basics of investments, market dynamics, and personal finance can help you make better decisions. Regular consultations with a Certified Financial Planner can provide you with the education and tools needed to manage your finances effectively.

Deciding to use your entire PF money to pay off a loan is a significant decision that requires careful consideration. Balancing the emotional value of your ancestral property with your financial security is key. Explore alternative options like loan restructuring, partial payments, and investing through a Certified Financial Planner. Maintaining an emergency fund, ensuring health coverage, and diversifying your investments will help secure your financial future. Consult with a financial expert to create a comprehensive plan that aligns with your retirement goals and provides peace of mind.

Hi I m 49 year old I have monthly income of 1 lakh . I have 25 thousand of investment monthly. I have personal loan of 9 lakh I will retired at 60 . I have a planning of purchasing home of 50 lakh . Kindly suggest.
Ans: First of all, it's great to see you're proactive about your financial future. At 49, with a monthly income of Rs 1 lakh and investing Rs 25,000 monthly, you're on a solid path. Let's plan how you can manage your personal loan, save for retirement, and purchase a home worth Rs 50 lakh.

Understanding Your Current Financial Position
You have a monthly income of Rs 1 lakh and a personal loan of Rs 9 lakh. You invest Rs 25,000 monthly, which is commendable. Your goal is to retire at 60 and buy a home worth Rs 50 lakh. Let's break down how you can achieve these goals.

Managing Your Personal Loan
Importance of Reducing Debt
Your personal loan of Rs 9 lakh is a significant liability. Paying off this loan should be a priority to free up your cash flow and reduce financial stress. Personal loans usually have high-interest rates, which can eat into your savings.

Accelerating Loan Repayment
Consider allocating more funds towards your loan repayment. This might mean temporarily reducing your monthly investments. Paying off the loan faster will save you money on interest and improve your financial stability.

Balancing Loan Repayment and Investments
You don't want to stop investing altogether. Find a balance where you can pay extra towards your loan while still investing a portion of your income. This ensures you continue to build your future corpus while managing your debt.

Strategic Investment Planning
Review Your Investment Portfolio
Review your current investments to ensure they align with your long-term goals. Are you investing in a mix of equity and debt instruments? Diversification is key to managing risk and maximizing returns.

Actively managed funds can offer higher returns compared to index funds. Fund managers actively select stocks, aiming to outperform the market. This can be beneficial for growing your investments faster.

Regular Investments and SIPs
Continue with your SIPs, but ensure they are in high-performing funds. Even small, regular investments can grow significantly over time due to compounding. Review the performance of your funds periodically.

Saving for Retirement
Estimating Retirement Corpus
You aim to retire at 60, which gives you 11 years to save. Estimate how much you will need for a comfortable retirement. Consider inflation and your expected lifestyle expenses.

Increasing Retirement Contributions
If possible, gradually increase your monthly investment contributions. Even a small increase can make a big difference over time. Automate your investments to ensure consistency.

Asset Allocation for Retirement
A good mix of equity and debt can help you achieve a balance between growth and stability. As you approach retirement, gradually shift towards safer, more stable investments.

Planning for Home Purchase
Evaluating Home Purchase Decision
Buying a home worth Rs 50 lakh is a big financial commitment. Ensure it fits within your long-term financial plan without straining your finances. Consider all costs, including down payment, EMIs, maintenance, and property taxes.

Saving for Down Payment
Start saving for the down payment. Typically, a down payment is 20% of the property's value, so for a Rs 50 lakh home, you'll need Rs 10 lakh. Allocate a portion of your monthly savings towards this goal.

Home Loan Considerations
If you plan to take a home loan, compare interest rates and terms from different lenders. Aim for a shorter loan tenure to save on interest. Ensure your EMI is manageable within your monthly budget.

Tax Efficiency and Benefits
Utilizing Tax-Saving Instruments
Maximize your tax-saving investments under Section 80C. This includes contributions to PPF, EPF, and ELSS. Tax savings can enhance your overall returns and help you build a larger corpus.

Regular Fund Investments
Investing through a certified financial planner can provide professional advice. Regular funds, despite higher expense ratios, come with expert guidance, which can optimize your portfolio and returns.

Creating an Emergency Fund
Importance of an Emergency Fund
An emergency fund is crucial to cover unexpected expenses. This ensures you don't have to dip into your long-term investments during financial crises.

Building the Fund
Aim to save at least 6-12 months' worth of expenses in a liquid account. Allocate a portion of your monthly savings until you reach this target. This fund should be easily accessible in emergencies.

Insurance and Risk Management
Adequate Life Insurance
Ensure you have adequate life insurance coverage to protect your family financially. Term insurance is a good option as it provides high coverage at a low premium.

A comprehensive health insurance plan is essential to cover medical emergencies. This prevents large out-of-pocket expenses that can disrupt your savings and investments.

Regular Monitoring and Rebalancing
Periodic Portfolio Review
Regularly review your investment portfolio to ensure it aligns with your goals. Markets and personal circumstances change, requiring adjustments to your strategy. A certified financial planner can assist with these reviews.

Rebalancing Your Portfolio
Rebalancing involves adjusting your investments to maintain your desired asset allocation. For example, if equities have grown significantly, sell some and reinvest in underperforming assets. This helps manage risk and stay on track with your goals.

Maximizing Your Savings
Budgeting and Expense Management
Track your expenses to identify areas where you can save more. Create a budget and stick to it. This ensures you have more funds available for investments and loan repayment.

Increasing Savings Rate
As your income grows, aim to increase your savings rate. Even small increments can significantly impact your final corpus due to the power of compounding. Automate savings to ensure consistency.

Leveraging Employer Benefits
Provident Fund Contributions
Ensure you maximize your contributions to the Employee Provident Fund (EPF). This is a safe and tax-efficient way to build your retirement corpus.

Voluntary Provident Fund (VPF)
Consider contributing to the Voluntary Provident Fund (VPF) if you can save more. VPF offers the same benefits as EPF, with guaranteed returns and tax benefits.

Long-Term Investment Strategies
Compounding Power
The power of compounding cannot be overstated. The earlier you start investing, the more your money grows over time. Regular investments and reinvesting returns accelerate growth.

Staying Invested
Market fluctuations are normal. Stay invested for the long term to ride out volatility. Equity markets tend to deliver good returns over extended periods.

Avoiding Emotional Decisions
Investment decisions should be based on logic, not emotions. Avoid making impulsive decisions based on market movements. A certified financial planner can provide an objective perspective.

Planning for Inflation and Taxes
Inflation Protection
Inflation can erode your purchasing power over time. Ensure your investments grow faster than inflation. Equities and other high-growth investments generally outpace inflation.

Tax-efficient investing is crucial. Utilize available tax deductions and exemptions. For instance, investments in PPF, EPF, and certain mutual funds offer tax benefits. Consult with a tax advisor to optimize your tax strategy, ensuring you retain more of your returns.

Managing your personal loan, saving for retirement, and planning to buy a home are significant financial goals. With disciplined savings and strategic investments, you can achieve these goals. Focus on reducing your personal loan, maximizing your savings, and investing wisely. Regularly review and adjust your financial plan to stay on track. With consistent efforts and careful planning, you can secure a comfortable retirement and fulfill your dream of purchasing a home.

I am 37 and my husband is 41....married for 13 years have a son ....12...and a daughter 10....want to have more kids ...but he has lots of familial...social and business responsibilities...also ...he smokes...but financially we both r comfortably well off..right now his business is a little difficult as he has to be in Mizoram...I am from central I doa n he is from Bangalore...I have lost both my parents....but have support of my siblings ..he has lots of issues with his mom sister... He has another wife n two daughters from her 6 and 4...that was a situation it happened...which I can't explain...right now...but anyways ...I have come to terms with it... What do I do to.convince him...he has already taken a lot of money and jewellery from me...plus inhave always been fulfilling joint family responsibilies...as all relatives kept coming to our house...wedding s engagements.and all...at our house....some wud even stay for months...now it's better but still our sex life...is very bad....very rare ..hardly any...he is good to me n is an upright man and an upright father ...
Ans: First, it’s important to take a step back and consider the broader context of your marriage. You’ve been together for 13 years and have built a life that includes managing extensive familial and social responsibilities. Your husband's current challenges with his business in Mizoram, coupled with his obligations from his other marriage and children, add layers of complexity. Recognizing and acknowledging these pressures is essential in understanding his potential hesitations.

When approaching the topic of expanding your family, try to create a space for open and honest dialogue. Choose a time when you both are relaxed and not distracted by daily stresses. Start by expressing your own feelings and desires gently. Share why having another child is important to you and how you envision it enriching your family. It’s helpful to frame this in terms of shared dreams and the joy that children bring, rather than focusing on it as a need or demand.

However, it’s equally important to listen to his perspective. Given the strain of his business and the complexities of managing multiple familial commitments, he might have valid concerns about adding more responsibilities. Explore these concerns with empathy and without judgment. Understanding his fears and pressures can open up avenues for finding solutions together.

Discussing his health, particularly his smoking, can also be a sensitive but necessary topic. Smoking can affect both his health and fertility, and it’s something that should be addressed openly. Encourage a conversation about his well-being, focusing on how improving health can benefit him personally and potentially improve your sex life, which you’ve noted has been infrequent. This could lead to exploring ways to enhance intimacy and connection, which might be a critical factor in your decision to have more children.

Financial stability, as you mentioned, is a positive aspect, but it’s essential to ensure that both of you feel emotionally and mentally prepared for another child. It might help to discuss how the financial aspects can support hiring help or making other arrangements to ease the burden of additional responsibilities.

Given the complexities with his other family, it's vital to consider how another child will impact all involved, including your existing children and his daughters from his other marriage. Ensuring that your household can provide the emotional support and stability for another child is crucial.

Given your supportive siblings, perhaps they could help in some ways, providing a bit of relief from your joint family responsibilities. This could potentially make the idea of expanding your family seem less daunting to your husband.

Finally, reflecting on your own needs and boundaries is equally important. If there are aspects of your relationship or family dynamics that feel unbalanced or unaddressed, consider seeking professional counseling. A therapist can provide a neutral space for both of you to explore these issues and find a path forward that honors both your desires and the realities of your life together.

In conclusion, approaching this conversation with empathy, understanding, and a readiness to listen and compromise is key. It’s about finding a balance that respects both of your wishes and the practicalities of your shared life.