Home > Money > Question
Need Expert Advice?Our Gurus Can Help

Vivek Lala  |251 Answers  |Ask -

Tax, MF Expert - Answered on Jun 01, 2024

Vivek Lala has been working as a tax planner since 2018. His expertise lies in making personalised tax budgets and tax forecasts for individuals. As a tax advisor, he takes pride in simplifying tax complications for his clients using simple, easy-to-understand language.
Lala cleared his chartered accountancy exam in 2018 and completed his articleship with Chaturvedi and Shah. ... more
Asked by Anonymous - May 31, 2024Hindi

Hello Ramalingam Sir, My brother lost huge amount in stock trading. He has to sell his house, gold and other assets to repay the loans. Still, he has huge debt to be cleared. i kept on supporting him from long back. i supported small amounts to him multiple times. Now, he needs around 15L to clear his debts and i decided to give that amount considering his family and kids. In his childhood my brother supported my parents financially. Considering all these, i decide to help him by giving these amount to clear his debts. Can i transfer these 15L to his account through NEFT or RTGS? will these be taxable? these 15L are out of savings from my salary and my wife salary. Thanks.

Ans: Hello, you can transfer any amount to your brother from your account to his and it's not taxable
DISCLAIMER: The content of this post by the expert is the personal view of the rediffGURU. Users are advised to pursue the information provided by the rediffGURU only as a source of information to be as a point of reference and to rely on their own judgement when making a decision.

You may like to see similar questions and answers below


Hardik Parikh  |106 Answers  |Ask -

Tax, Mutual Fund Expert - Answered on Apr 19, 2023

Sir, My father deceased in December, 2022 and as a nominee I have received an amount of Rs.20 lakhs from his PPF account and Rs.7.90 lakhs from his FD in the bank. I want to transfer this amount to my Mother's account. She is retired Govt. officer and filing IT returns for her income every year. Sir, can I transfer whole amount of Rs.20 lakhs and Rs.7.90 through RTGS to my mother's account. I want to know that in future will there be any query/AIR from IT deptt. from me or from my mother relating to the transaction done by me. My father was Govt. retiree and Income Tax payee and had filed all IT returns upto FY 2021-22. Sir please guide in this regard so that there is no issue being raised by IT deptt for transfer of amount from my account to my Mother's account. I am also a Govt. Employee. Kindly give your valued advise.
Ans: Dear Amit,

You can absolutely transfer the entire amount of Rs. 20 lakhs from your father's PPF account and Rs. 7.90 lakhs from his FD to your mother's account through RTGS. Since your father was a regular Income Tax payer and had filed all his IT returns up to FY 2021-22, there should be no issues related to the legitimacy of the funds being transferred.

However, to ensure a hassle-free experience with the Income Tax Department in the future, I recommend taking the following steps:

Keep a record of the source of the funds, i.e., the PPF account and FD account details, as well as any supporting documents like your father's death certificate, nominee declaration, and bank statements.
When your mother files her Income Tax return for the relevant financial year, make sure to disclose these amounts as gifts received from you, her son, as gifts received from relatives are exempt from tax. You can provide the details of the source of funds and the reason for the transfer (i.e., inheritance) in the notes section of her return, if applicable.
If your mother earns any interest or income from these amounts, she should include that in her taxable income and pay the applicable taxes.
It would be helpful to consult a tax professional to ensure that all the necessary documentation and disclosures are made properly in both your and your mother's tax returns.
By following these steps, you should be able to avoid any queries or issues from the Income Tax Department regarding the transfer of funds from your account to your mother's account.

I hope this helps.

Take care.

..Read more


Ramalingam Kalirajan  |4625 Answers  |Ask -

Mutual Funds, Financial Planning Expert - Answered on Jul 12, 2024

Asked by Anonymous - Jul 02, 2024Hindi
Hi Sir I have 18 years old son started to college , I would like to transfer 10-15 lacs from my corpus to his to start MF and FD investment for longer run. what sort of precautionary measure to take to avoid any tax complications later. Thank you Kumar
Ans: Kumar,

Investing in your son’s future is a wise and caring move. To ensure smooth and efficient management, here are comprehensive steps and precautions for transferring funds into mutual funds and fixed deposits, along with ways to avoid tax complications later on.

Understanding the Investment Landscape
Investing in mutual funds and fixed deposits (FDs) can be highly beneficial. Each has its own advantages, risks, and growth potential. Let’s delve into both to understand them better.

Mutual Funds

Diversification: Mutual funds invest in a wide range of securities, reducing risk.

Professional Management: Fund managers use their expertise to manage your investments.

Liquidity: Easy to buy and sell mutual fund units as needed.

Power of Compounding: Long-term investments can significantly grow due to compounding.


Equity Funds: Higher risk and higher returns, ideal for long-term goals.

Debt Funds: Lower risk, stable returns, good for short to medium-term goals.

Hybrid Funds: Mix of equity and debt, balancing risk and reward.


Market Risk: The value of investments can fluctuate based on market conditions.

Interest Rate Risk: Changes in interest rates can affect debt funds' performance.

Inflation Risk: Returns may not always keep pace with inflation, affecting purchasing power.

Fixed Deposits (FDs)

Safety: FDs are considered safe with assured returns.

Fixed Returns: Interest rates are locked in, providing predictable income.

Tax Benefits: Some FDs offer tax benefits under Section 80C of the Income Tax Act.


Lower Returns: FDs generally offer lower returns compared to mutual funds.

Liquidity: Early withdrawal can result in penalties.

Steps for Investing in Your Son's Name
1. Open a Bank Account
First, ensure your son has a bank account. This is essential for all subsequent investments and transactions. Ensure the account is in his name, with you as the guardian, if needed.

2. Open a Demat and Trading Account
For investing in mutual funds, a Demat and trading account in your son’s name is crucial. This facilitates easy purchase, holding, and selling of mutual fund units.

3. Know Your Customer (KYC) Compliance
Complete the KYC process for your son. KYC is mandatory for mutual fund investments. It involves submitting identity and address proofs, and your son needs to be compliant to invest.

4. Nomination
Ensure that a nomination is set up. It ensures smooth transfer of funds in case of unforeseen circumstances. You can be the nominee or appoint someone you trust.

Investment Strategy
Mutual Funds
Choosing the Right Funds:

Long-Term Goals: For long-term investments, equity mutual funds are ideal. They offer higher returns over time due to market growth and compounding.

Balanced Approach: Consider hybrid funds for a mix of equity and debt. They balance risk and provide steady growth.

Regular Funds vs. Direct Funds: Invest through a Certified Financial Planner (CFP). Regular funds managed by a CFP offer professional advice and management, ensuring better growth and risk management compared to direct funds.

Systematic Investment Plan (SIP):

SIP Benefits: Encourage your son to start a SIP. It promotes disciplined investing, averaging out market volatility, and leveraging the power of compounding.
Fixed Deposits
Laddering Strategy:

Laddering FDs: Divide the investment into multiple FDs with different maturities. This ensures liquidity and better management of interest rate risks.

Reinvestment: Upon maturity, reinvest the FD for continued growth. Align maturity dates with future financial needs.

Tax Considerations
Clubbing of Income
Avoid Clubbing:

Minor’s Income: Income earned by a minor is clubbed with the parent’s income. To avoid this, ensure the investments are in your son’s name post attaining majority.

Transfer Post-Majority: If your son is 18, transfer investments to his name directly. This prevents income clubbing, reducing your tax burden.

Gift Tax

Gifts to Son: Any amount transferred to your son is exempt from gift tax. Utilize this exemption to transfer funds without any tax implications.
Capital Gains Tax
Long-Term and Short-Term Gains:

Equity Funds: Long-term capital gains (LTCG) above Rs 1 lakh in a financial year are taxed at 10%. Short-term gains are taxed at 15%.

Hybrid Debt Funds: LTCG on debt funds are taxed at 20% with indexation benefits. Short-term gains are added to your income and taxed as per the applicable slab.

Tax-Saving Strategies
Tax-Saving Funds:

ELSS: Consider investing in Equity Linked Savings Scheme (ELSS). It offers tax benefits under Section 80C and potential for good returns.

5-Year FDs: Invest in tax-saving FDs with a 5-year lock-in period. They offer tax benefits under Section 80C.

Monitoring and Review
Regular Monitoring
Track Performance: Regularly monitor the performance of your investments. Use online tools and apps to stay updated.

Annual Review: Conduct an annual review of the portfolio. Adjust allocations based on market conditions and financial goals.

Maintain Balance: Rebalance the portfolio periodically to maintain the desired asset allocation. This ensures optimal growth and risk management.

Avoid Emotional Decisions: Stay focused on long-term goals. Avoid making investment decisions based on short-term market fluctuations.

Ensuring Smooth Transfer of Assets
Nomination and Will

Nomination: Ensure nominations are updated for all investments. This simplifies the transfer process in case of unforeseen events.

Draft a Will: Draft a will clearly stating the distribution of assets. This ensures that your son receives the intended investments without legal hassles.
Power of Attorney
Legal Authorization:

Power of Attorney: Consider granting a power of attorney to a trusted person. This ensures that your investments are managed smoothly in case of any incapacity.
Final Insights
Investing in your son's future through mutual funds and fixed deposits is a commendable decision. It provides financial security and helps build a substantial corpus over time. By understanding the advantages and risks associated with mutual funds and fixed deposits, you can make informed decisions.

Remember, mutual funds offer professional management, diversification, and the power of compounding, making them suitable for long-term growth. Fixed deposits, on the other hand, provide safety and fixed returns, ideal for conservative investors.

Ensure all investments are in your son’s name to avoid clubbing of income and utilize the gift tax exemptions effectively. Opt for tax-saving instruments like ELSS and 5-year FDs to optimize tax benefits.

Regularly monitor and review the portfolio, rebalancing it to maintain the desired asset allocation. Update nominations and draft a will to ensure a smooth transfer of assets.

By following these steps, you can secure your son’s financial future, allowing him to focus on his education and career without worrying about finances. You are setting a strong foundation for his future, and that is truly admirable.

Best Regards,

K. Ramalingam, MBA, CFP,

Chief Financial Planner,


..Read more

Latest Questions

Mayank Chandel  |1481 Answers  |Ask -

IIT-JEE, NEET-UG, SAT, CLAT, CA, CS Exam Expert - Answered on Jul 13, 2024


Mayank Chandel  |1481 Answers  |Ask -

IIT-JEE, NEET-UG, SAT, CLAT, CA, CS Exam Expert - Answered on Jul 13, 2024

Nayagam P

Nayagam P P  |1860 Answers  |Ask -

Career Counsellor - Answered on Jul 13, 2024

Asked by Anonymous - Jul 12, 2024Hindi
DISCLAIMER: The content of this post by the expert is the personal view of the rediffGURU. Investment in securities market are subject to market risks. Read all the related document carefully before investing. The securities quoted are for illustration only and are not recommendatory. Users are advised to pursue the information provided by the rediffGURU only as a source of information and as a point of reference and to rely on their own judgement when making a decision. RediffGURUS is an intermediary as per India's Information Technology Act.


You haven't logged in yet. To ask a question, Please Log in below

A verification OTP will be sent to this
Mobile Number / Email

Enter OTP
A 6 digit code has been sent to

Resend OTP in120seconds

Dear User, You have not registered yet. Please register by filling the fields below to get expert answers from our Gurus
Sign up

By signing up, you agree to our
Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy

Already have an account?

Enter OTP
A 6 digit code has been sent to Mobile

Resend OTP in120seconds