Colonel Sanjeev Govila (retd) is the founder of Hum Fauji Initiatives, a financial planning company dedicated to the armed forces personnel and their families.

Hello, I have a portfolio of Mutual fund with majority 65% towards small cap ( SBI Small Cap, Axis Small Cap and HSBC Small cap earlier L&T emerging business fund) and 20% in Mid cap (Axis Midcap, Kotak Emerging Business & HSBC mid cap fund) and 15% in Large Cap funds. This is purely long term plan( my retirement) and I don't need any fund as of now as I have FD's for my emergency need. I am also invested directly in stocks mainly large caps. This investment for me in all is more than 1.5 Cr. I want to invest another 50 lakhs purely for my child future educational needs which I would be requiring after 15 years. I would like to understand should I go ahead with mutual funds or I can try PMS services.

Ans: First of all, you have a good portfolio but it is very risky and a little over-diversified. You have invested in 3 funds for each category which is more than I would recommend to anybody.

Regarding your query on investment options to accumulate the amount for Children’s education need, both - mutual funds and PMS services - can be good option for investing your money. However, there are some key differences between the two that you should consider before making a decision.
• Cost: Mutual funds are typically less expensive than PMS services since mutual funds have a lower expense ratio, which is the fee that is charged to investors to cover the costs of managing the fund. However, PMS have a heterogeneous charge structure that can vary on the basis of performance, or fixed charge structure irrespective of performance, that may or may not justify/align to your requirement/objective.
• Incidence of Tax – In Mutual Funds, all the transactions that the fund manager does - whether he buys or sells any stock, are not liable to be taxed to you. It doesn't affect your tax liability. You are liable to capital gains tax only when you actually redeem your money invested in the fund. But in the case of PMS, all transactions done by the fund manager will be treated as your own transactions and will be liable to capital gains tax.
• Flexibility and liquidity: Mutual funds offer more flexibility than PMS services. This is because mutual funds can be bought and sold easily and generally carry no lock in. PMS services might have lock-in periods and exit loads if exited before 1 - 2 years depending on the fund.
You could invest your money in a low-cost, diversified mutual fund that is designed for long-term growth. This would provide you with the potential for growth over time, while still minimizing your risk. Risk management is equally important when it comes to critical life goals.

There are various mutual funds available for educational reasons, such as the Children's Gift Fund (Mutual Fund) and even a well-diversified regular MF portfolio. You can use those to meet your long-term educational objectives.

Disclaimer:
• I have just no idea about your age, future financial goals, your risk profile, other investments and whether you would have the nerves to not get unduly perturbed if stock markets go temporarily down.
• Hence, please note that I am answering your question in absolute isolation to other parameters which should definitely be considered when answering a question of this type.
• I recommend you to also consult a good financial advisor who would look at your complete profile in totality before you act on this advice given by me.

Financial Planner - Answered on Jan 09, 2024

I have a corpus of 1 cr in mf with an ongoing monthly sip of 85k..have invested 6 lacs in stocks..I am investing 1.5 lacs each In both ppf and sukanya samridhi scheme for the past 5 years.. I also have invested in hdfc sanchay annuity plan around 5.5 lacs annually for the past 4 years which will give me a monthly income from the 12th years of 50 k.. I have FDs of around 3 cr which is giving me a return of 7% annually.. I have 2 kids and I am 43 yrs old. I am looking at building a corpus of 40 cr plus on my retirement.. I have been investing in mf since 2017.. The funds that I am investing in are 1) axis.mid cap 2) canara robeco emerging equities 3) Nippon small cap 4) Parag Parikh flexi cap 5) quant flexi cap 6) Mirae asset mid and larg cap 7) icici nifty 50 index 8) SBI focussed equity 9) hdfc balanced advantage fund 10) SBI equity hybrid fund Plz suggest if these funds are fine to reach a target of 40 cr plus in the next 17 years... My kids are 10 and 4 yrs old respectively and I want to keep 1.5 cr plus for their education. When they attain the age of 18 years respectively. Kindly suggest do I need to change the investment plan and mutual funds or should I continue with the same strategy to achieve my goal.
Ans: You can not reach to your target of 40 crores plus education corpus of 1.5 cr for 2 children as most of your money is getting invested in fixed income type of instruments, since your goal is still 17 years away you can convert theses fixed income in mutual funds.

Hi Sir . I am a 41-year-old woman with a monthly income of 1.4 Lakh. I have a 14-year-old son. I haven't invested in mutual fund investments before and seek your guidance on how much to invest and in which mutual funds. My financial goals are as follows: Accumulate 6 crores before retirement (in the next 17 years). Save 1 crore for my son's higher education in the next 7 years. Set aside 50 lakhs for my son's marriage in the next 12 years. My current investments include: PPF - 1.5 Lakhs per annum for the last 5 years. VPF - 1.6 Lakhs per annum for the last 2 years. NPS - 10,000 per month for the last 1 year. I would greatly appreciate your advice on how to structure my mutual fund investments to achieve these goals Thank you
Ans: You've set commendable financial goals, laying a strong foundation for your future and your son's. Given your monthly income and current investments, it's essential to strategize wisely for optimal growth.

Considering your long-term goals, a diversified approach is crucial. Start with an equity-heavy portfolio for the long-term goals, aiming for higher returns, while keeping a balanced approach for the medium-term goals like your son's education.

For your retirement corpus of 6 crores in 17 years, an equity-heavy allocation is advisable, as equities historically offer better returns over the long run. For your son's education and marriage, consider a balanced allocation between equity and debt to balance risk and return.

Remember, investing is a journey, not a destination. Regularly review and adjust your portfolio based on life changes, market conditions, and financial goals. A financial advisor can provide personalized guidance, ensuring you stay on the right path towards achieving your dreams. Happy investing!

Hi Sir, I am currently working in PSB in the Middle management group and investing in different investment options to achieve the goal of financial freedom. I have one 6 years old daughter and want to accumulate a fund of 2.5 Cr for her education and marriage also. I am investing the monthly amount in below mentioned categories: A) Traditional: 1) Sukanya Sammaridhi account: 2K 2) PPF: 1K B) Market Linked: 1) DSP Small cap fund: 3K 2) SBI magnum Mid Cap Fund: 2 K 3) HDFC Mid Cap opportunities Fund: 3 K 4) Aditya Birla SL Pure value fund Reg (G): 1K 5) Mirae Asset Large & Midcap Fund Reg (G): 2 K 6) Canara Robeco Emerging Equities Reg (G): 3K 7) 3-4 K in share purchase for long term investment. I want to keep investing in MFs for the next 25 years with an annual increment in monthly investment figures as per the capability. Kindly advise me about these funds and share your suggestions to achieve my dream. Awaiting your reply. Regards, Bhuvneshwar.
Ans: Bhuvneshwar, your commitment to securing your daughter's future is commendable, and your diversified investment strategy reflects your dedication to achieving your financial goals. Let's break down your approach:

Traditional Investments: Sukanya Samriddhi and PPF provide a solid foundation with tax benefits and guaranteed returns. These avenues ensure stability and security for your daughter's future needs.
Market-Linked Investments: By investing in a mix of small, mid, and large-cap funds, you're tapping into the potential growth of the market. Your selection shows a balanced approach, spreading risk across different segments of the market.
Direct Stock Investments: Your involvement in direct stock purchases demonstrates your confidence in specific companies for long-term growth. However, ensure thorough research and prudent decision-making to mitigate risks associated with individual stocks.
To further enhance your strategy:

Regular Review and Rebalancing: Periodically assess the performance of your investments and rebalance if needed to maintain your desired asset allocation.
Risk Management: While market-linked investments offer growth potential, they also carry inherent risks. Ensure you're comfortable with the level of risk in your portfolio and adjust your investments accordingly.
Gradual Increase in Investments: Your plan to incrementally increase your monthly investments aligns with the principle of gradual improvement over time. Consistency and discipline in this approach will help you reach your target efficiently.
Remember, Bhuvneshwar, achieving financial freedom for your daughter's education and marriage requires patience, discipline, and a long-term perspective. Stay focused on your goals, continuously educate yourself, and adapt your strategy as needed along the journey. With dedication and strategic planning, you're well on your way to realizing your dreams for your daughter's future.

Hi Sir . I am a 34-year-old man with a monthly income of 1.4 Lakh. I have a 1-year-old son. I haven't invested in mutual fund investments before and seek your guidance on how much to invest and in which mutual funds. My financial goals are as follows: Accumulate atleast 6 crores before retirement (in the next 20 years). Save atleast 1 crore for my son's higher education in the next 15 years. Set aside atleast 50 lakhs for my son's marriage in the next 20-25 years. My current investments include: PPF - 1.5 Lakhs per annum for the last 5 years. NPS - 50000 per annum for the last 3 year. ULIP - 1.2 Lakh per annum for last 1 year One SBI scheme - 1.2 Lakhs per annum for last 3 years My wife is also working with monthly income of 1.4 Lakhs. I would greatly appreciate your advice on how to structure my mutual fund investments to achieve these goals. Thank You.
Ans: Given your financial goals and current investments, here's a suggested approach to structure your mutual fund investments:

Retirement Corpus (6 Crores in 20 years):
Start SIPs in diversified equity mutual funds with a focus on long-term growth. Allocate a significant portion of your investments towards equity funds to harness their wealth-building potential over the long term. Consider a mix of large-cap, mid-cap, and multi-cap funds to diversify across market segments and manage risk effectively. Review and increase your SIP amounts periodically, considering your income growth and inflation.
Son's Higher Education (1 Crore in 15 years):
Allocate a portion of your mutual fund investments specifically towards your son's education goal. Since the timeframe is relatively shorter, consider a balanced approach with a mix of equity and debt funds to balance growth potential with capital preservation. Gradually shift towards debt-oriented funds as the goal approaches to safeguard against market volatility and ensure capital protection.
Son's Marriage (50 Lakhs in 20-25 years):
Similar to the education goal, allocate a portion of your investments towards your son's marriage goal. Since the timeframe is longer, you can afford a more aggressive approach with a higher allocation towards equity funds. As the goal approaches, gradually shift towards more conservative investments to protect the accumulated corpus.
Review and Rebalance:
Regularly review your mutual fund investments and rebalance your portfolio as needed to ensure alignment with your financial goals and risk tolerance. Consider consulting with a Certified Financial Planner to periodically reassess your goals, investment strategy, and progress towards achieving them.
Remember, investing is a long-term commitment, and staying disciplined, diversified, and focused on your goals is key to achieving financial success.

Sir, I am earning Rs 40000/- (Rs Forty thousand only) per month And aged 51 years old I can still work till 55 years I have very good knowledge in mutual funds and specially small cap funds My portfolio is as under 1) Quatt small cap fund 2) HSBC SMALL CAP FUND 3) TATA SMALL CAP FUND sip 25000 4) NIPPON SMALL CAP FUND sip 35000 5) AXIS 50 SMALL CAP NIFTY INDEX FUND 6) HDFC 250 SMALL CAP NIFTY INDEX FUND 7) MAHINDRA MANULIFE SMALL CAP FUND All investments are direct schemes I had received money from PPF account which is in lakhs should I invest more in mutual funds ?? Mohan Satpal
Ans: Your portfolio reflects a strong inclination towards small-cap funds, indicating a higher risk appetite and a belief in the growth potential of smaller companies. Let's evaluate your current portfolio and explore whether additional investments in mutual funds are suitable given your financial circumstances.

Portfolio Analysis
Focus on Small-cap Funds: Your portfolio is heavily concentrated in small-cap funds, which are known for their high growth potential but also carry increased volatility and risk. This concentration amplifies the risk-reward dynamics of your portfolio.
Active vs. Passive Management:
While you've included both actively managed mutual funds and index funds (ETFs) in your portfolio, it's important to understand the differences between the two. Actively managed funds aim to outperform the market through active stock selection and portfolio management, while index funds passively track a specific index's performance.
Benefits of Actively Managed Funds:
Actively managed funds offer the potential for higher returns compared to index funds, especially during market inefficiencies or when skilled fund managers can identify lucrative investment opportunities. Additionally, active management allows for flexibility in portfolio construction and adjustments based on market conditions.
Potential Disadvantages of Index Funds:
While index funds offer low expense ratios and broad market exposure, they may lack the potential for outperformance compared to actively managed funds. Additionally, they're subject to tracking error, which occurs when the fund's performance deviates from the index it's designed to replicate.

Direct Scheme Investments: Opting for direct schemes indicates your confidence in making independent investment decisions. However, it also requires active monitoring and research to ensure optimal fund selection and performance.
There are some advantages to consider direct funds, and the cost savings can be significant in the long run. However, there are some potential benefits to using a regular MFD:
Advantages of Investing Through a Mutual Fund Distributor (MFD):
• Personalized Advice: MFDs can be helpful for beginners or those who lack investment knowledge. They can assess your risk tolerance, financial goals, and investment horizon to recommend suitable mutual funds. This personalized guidance can be valuable, especially if you're new to investing.
• Convenience: MFDs handle all the paperwork and transactions on your behalf, saving you time and effort. They can help with account setup, SIP registrations, and managing your portfolio across different funds.
• Investor Support: MFDs can be a point of contact for any questions or concerns you may have about your investments. They can provide ongoing support and guidance throughout your investment journey.

Financial Situation
Monthly Income and Expenses: With a monthly income of Rs 40,000 and nearing retirement age at 55, it's essential to assess your financial stability and readiness for retirement. Consideration of future expenses and income sources is crucial in planning your investment strategy.

Lump Sum from PPF: The lump sum amount received from your PPF account presents an opportunity to bolster your investment portfolio. However, it's essential to evaluate your risk tolerance, investment horizon, and financial goals before allocating these funds.

Investment Decision
Given your age, income, and existing investment portfolio, further investments in mutual funds should be approached cautiously. Here are some considerations:

Risk Management: With retirement approaching, it's prudent to reassess your risk appetite and gradually transition to a more conservative investment approach. Consider reallocating a portion of your small-cap holdings to diversified equity or balanced funds to reduce portfolio volatility.

Diversification: While small-cap funds offer growth potential, diversifying across different market segments can help mitigate risk. Consider adding large-cap or multi-cap funds to your portfolio to achieve a balanced allocation.

Professional Advice: Consulting a Certified Financial Planner can provide personalized guidance tailored to your financial goals, risk tolerance, and retirement timeline. They can help you optimize your investment portfolio and make informed decisions.

As you near retirement age, it's essential to review your investment strategy to align with your financial goals and risk tolerance. While small-cap funds offer growth potential, diversification and risk management are key considerations. Consulting a Certified Financial Planner can provide valuable insights and guidance in navigating your investment journey.

Hi I am a 35-year-old woman and my husband is 45. we are made for each other couple. we love each other and we do not have any compatibility issues except in romance. he is not very romantic and even throughout my younger years I was also not very romantic and immersed myself in studies and career. He is not very active in sex also. A few years back I told him that I wanted to be romantic after marriage and now we are not, so I missed my college and early office days when I was in my prime and could have been romantically involved with guys. Since I look very young even at 35, he suggested that I still can move around with guys and get romantic and I need not miss anything even now. though initially declining the offer, I moved a little freely toward men, mostly colleagues, and a few social club members. I encouraged late-night messages, coffee meets, movies, etc. I update my husband on every single event that happens. ex, if I went to a movie with a colleague, I will message my hubby " We kissed", if that happened. he encourages me so much and is happy with whatever is happening, cutting a long story short. though I didn't think it would go so far, I am now romantically very active. soft romance-like messages I do with many. Dating I don't say no to my known circle like colleagues, ex-colleagues, college mates, etc and almost 2-3 times a week I end up dating someone in a coffee shop, pub, or a long drive. A few times I initiate a date too. and I must confess that I have regular intimacy with four young men, all from the same office where I work. I have never hidden anything from my hubby and give a complete account every day. I offered to stop everything any moment he said. but he told me till age is there enjoy life!. I am emotionally connected to my husband only and I do all my responsibilities as a woman. Our relationship has grown manifold. My only question is, am I exploiting my husband's innocence or does he have a cuckold fantasy? If I continue the way I continue with no harm to anyone, can I keep doing it ( I love to). or I should stop at once?

After reading your question I understood that your partner and you have, what we call, an open relationship. As long as both partners are okay with the dynamics of it, and no one is emotionally hurt, or resisting, it should be okay. It isn't exploitation if your husband himself encourages you. You are both consenting adults and not harming each other or anyone else. As for your question, if he has a cuckold fantasy, that is something you should discuss with your husband. An open discussion is better than speculation. Also, at any time if you suspect that your husband is growing concerned about the nature of your relationship, ask him directly. It can help avoid misunderstandings.

Hello sir mai 28 year ki hoo mai abhi llb kar rahi hoo mai last 7 year se relationship mai hoo vo mujse 25 year bade hai saruaat 1 to 2 year inhone muje bhot priorities di ab hum 3 to 4 month mai kabhi milte hai hum dono alag alag city mai hai unki bhot badi family hai or finincially bhi problem chal rahi hai last 3 yaer se vo.muje priority nai de rahe hum.roj bat karte hai vo mera khyal bhi rakhte hai lekin muje unse ab dur nai hona mene sadi na karne ka decisions Liya hai lekin kitni bar bhot akela feel karti hoo vo muje itna time nai dete phele jaisa nai hai aisa lagta hai.fir vo ku6 help kar de ya pyar se bat bhi kar le.to.lagta hai sab theek hai mai.bhot confused hoo mai.kya karu muje kya karna chahiye ..

Dating someone older than you is not the problem, but the fact that you are making major life decisions based on what he wants and doesn't want is concerning. I am guessing that you decided to not get married because he doesn't want it either. Is that fair to you? You yourself mentioned that you often feel lonely. Don't you think you deserve better? Don't you deserve someone who would love you and would like to spend the rest of their life with you? Please reconsider this relationship. Speak to your partner and ask him what his plans are for the future. Does he want to settle down with you? How will you two continue this relationship in the future? There are many important questions that need answering. Sort them out and you will have the solution to your dilemma.