NIKHIL Question by NIKHIL on Apr 14, 2024Hindi

Hi Sir, I am currently working in PSB in the Middle management group and investing in different investment options to achieve the goal of financial freedom. I have one 6 years old daughter and want to accumulate a fund of 2.5 Cr for her education and marriage also. I am investing the monthly amount in below mentioned categories: A) Traditional: 1) Sukanya Sammaridhi account: 2K 2) PPF: 1K B) Market Linked: 1) DSP Small cap fund: 3K 2) SBI magnum Mid Cap Fund: 2 K 3) HDFC Mid Cap opportunities Fund: 3 K 4) Aditya Birla SL Pure value fund Reg (G): 1K 5) Mirae Asset Large & Midcap Fund Reg (G): 2 K 6) Canara Robeco Emerging Equities Reg (G): 3K 7) 3-4 K in share purchase for long term investment. I want to keep investing in MFs for the next 25 years with an annual increment in monthly investment figures as per the capability. Kindly advise me about these funds and share your suggestions to achieve my dream. Awaiting your reply. Regards, Bhuvneshwar.

Ans: Bhuvneshwar, your commitment to securing your daughter's future is commendable, and your diversified investment strategy reflects your dedication to achieving your financial goals. Let's break down your approach:

Traditional Investments: Sukanya Samriddhi and PPF provide a solid foundation with tax benefits and guaranteed returns. These avenues ensure stability and security for your daughter's future needs.
Market-Linked Investments: By investing in a mix of small, mid, and large-cap funds, you're tapping into the potential growth of the market. Your selection shows a balanced approach, spreading risk across different segments of the market.
Direct Stock Investments: Your involvement in direct stock purchases demonstrates your confidence in specific companies for long-term growth. However, ensure thorough research and prudent decision-making to mitigate risks associated with individual stocks.
To further enhance your strategy:

Regular Review and Rebalancing: Periodically assess the performance of your investments and rebalance if needed to maintain your desired asset allocation.
Risk Management: While market-linked investments offer growth potential, they also carry inherent risks. Ensure you're comfortable with the level of risk in your portfolio and adjust your investments accordingly.
Gradual Increase in Investments: Your plan to incrementally increase your monthly investments aligns with the principle of gradual improvement over time. Consistency and discipline in this approach will help you reach your target efficiently.
Remember, Bhuvneshwar, achieving financial freedom for your daughter's education and marriage requires patience, discipline, and a long-term perspective. Stay focused on your goals, continuously educate yourself, and adapt your strategy as needed along the journey. With dedication and strategic planning, you're well on your way to realizing your dreams for your daughter's future.

Asked by Anonymous - Sep 07, 2023Hindi
Hello Sir/Madam, I am 44-year-old man working in a private sector. My wife is 39 years old, and she is a homemaker. We have one daughter aged 7 years. My take home salary is INR 1.25 lacs per month, and I get a bonus around 3 lacs yearly. I would like to invest for retirement in MF for next 15 years. Currently I am only investing in NPS – 5000 per month. SSY for daughter – 5000 per month MF - Canara Robeco Bluechip Equity Fund Direct Growth – 3000 per month. PPF is around 14 lacs. I am planning to increase NPS and SSY to 10000 per month; and I can invest around 30000 to 40000 in MF monthly. Please suggest long term mutual funds for 15 years. Regards, SA
Ans: Retirement Planning Through Mutual Fund Investments

Assessment of Current Financial Situation

Your commitment to securing your retirement deserves commendation. Let's delve into your financial landscape:

Income Stability: Your monthly take-home salary of Rs. 1.25 lakhs, supplemented by an annual bonus of Rs. 3 lakhs, provides a stable financial footing.
Existing Investments: Presently, your investment portfolio includes contributions to the National Pension System (NPS), Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana (SSY) for your daughter, and investments in mutual funds (MFs).
PPF Holding: Your Public Provident Fund (PPF) investment stands at approximately Rs. 14 lakhs.
Understanding Retirement Goals

Your aspiration for financial freedom post-retirement is both practical and forward-thinking:

Timeframe: Planning for retirement over the next 15 years indicates a proactive approach to long-term financial security.
Financial Commitment: Your willingness to increase contributions to NPS and SSY demonstrates a dedicated effort to build a robust retirement corpus.

Crafting an investment strategy tailored to your objectives and risk tolerance is paramount:

Equity Mutual Funds: Allocating a significant portion of your monthly investment towards equity mutual funds ensures potential for long-term wealth accumulation. These funds offer exposure to a diversified portfolio of stocks across sectors and market capitalizations.
Balanced Funds: Considering investments in balanced funds strikes a balance between growth and stability, crucial for retirement planning. These funds typically invest in a mix of equities and debt instruments, offering downside protection during market downturns.
Debt Funds: Dedicating a portion of your investment to debt funds provides stability and capital preservation. These funds primarily invest in fixed-income securities like government bonds and corporate debentures, offering steady returns with lower volatility.
Systematic Investment Plans (SIPs): Continuing with SIPs ensures disciplined investing, enabling you to benefit from rupee cost averaging and mitigate the impact of market volatility over time.
Benefits of Mutual Fund Investments

Mutual funds offer several advantages conducive to retirement planning:

Professional Management: Managed by seasoned fund managers, mutual funds provide expert oversight and strategic asset allocation, optimizing returns within predefined risk parameters.
Diversification: Investing in mutual funds offers diversification benefits, mitigating concentration risk associated with individual stock selection. A diversified portfolio spreads risk across various asset classes and investment avenues.
Liquidity: Mutual funds provide liquidity, allowing investors to redeem units as per their financial needs. This flexibility is crucial during retirement to meet unforeseen expenses or capitalize on investment opportunities.
Monitoring and Review

Regular monitoring and review of your investment portfolio are essential for staying on track with your retirement goals:

Periodic Reviews: Conducting periodic reviews enables you to assess the performance of your mutual fund investments and make informed decisions based on market dynamics and evolving financial objectives.
Rebalancing: Rebalancing your portfolio periodically ensures alignment with changing market conditions and risk preferences. This process involves adjusting asset allocations to maintain desired risk-return profiles.

By adopting a disciplined investment approach and harnessing the benefits of mutual fund investments, you can lay a solid foundation for your retirement journey. Stay committed to your long-term financial objectives and seek guidance from a Certified Financial Planner for personalized advice tailored to your unique circumstances.

Sir, I want to invest in the following funds on long term basis for my grand daughter who is six years old. 1) Hdfc multi cap fund growth direct 2) Icici Multi asset fund growth direct 3)Sbi blue chip fund growth direct 4) Tata or Uti mid cap fund growth direct Each fund Rs.2500 month for her requirements like education marriage etc. Kindly suggest your views. 3)
Ans: Investing for your granddaughter's future is a thoughtful gesture! Here's a view on your selected funds:

HDFC Multi Cap Fund Growth Direct: This fund offers diversification across large, mid, and small-cap stocks, suitable for long-term wealth creation. Its seasoned fund management team and consistent track record make it a solid choice for your granddaughter's portfolio.
ICICI Multi Asset Fund Growth Direct: With a flexible allocation across equity, debt, and gold, this fund provides diversification and downside protection. It's suitable for investors seeking a balanced approach to risk and return, making it a good addition to your portfolio.
SBI Blue Chip Fund Growth Direct: This fund invests predominantly in large-cap stocks with a proven track record, offering stability and growth potential over the long term. It's ideal for investors seeking exposure to quality blue-chip companies.
Tata or UTI Mid Cap Fund Growth Direct: Mid-cap funds like these offer exposure to high-growth potential companies, albeit with higher volatility. They're suitable for investors with a higher risk tolerance and a long-term investment horizon.
Overall, your selected funds cover various market segments and offer diversification, which is essential for long-term wealth creation. Regularly review the portfolio's performance and adjust allocations if needed to stay aligned with your granddaughter's future goals. Consulting a Certified Financial Planner can provide personalized guidance and ensure your investment strategy is optimized for her future needs.

Hi Sir . I am a 41-year-old woman with a monthly income of 1.4 Lakh. I have a 14-year-old son. I haven't invested in mutual fund investments before and seek your guidance on how much to invest and in which mutual funds. My financial goals are as follows: Accumulate 6 crores before retirement (in the next 17 years). Save 1 crore for my son's higher education in the next 7 years. Set aside 50 lakhs for my son's marriage in the next 12 years. My current investments include: PPF - 1.5 Lakhs per annum for the last 5 years. VPF - 1.6 Lakhs per annum for the last 2 years. NPS - 10,000 per month for the last 1 year. I would greatly appreciate your advice on how to structure my mutual fund investments to achieve these goals Thank you
Ans: You've set commendable financial goals, laying a strong foundation for your future and your son's. Given your monthly income and current investments, it's essential to strategize wisely for optimal growth.

Considering your long-term goals, a diversified approach is crucial. Start with an equity-heavy portfolio for the long-term goals, aiming for higher returns, while keeping a balanced approach for the medium-term goals like your son's education.

For your retirement corpus of 6 crores in 17 years, an equity-heavy allocation is advisable, as equities historically offer better returns over the long run. For your son's education and marriage, consider a balanced allocation between equity and debt to balance risk and return.

Remember, investing is a journey, not a destination. Regularly review and adjust your portfolio based on life changes, market conditions, and financial goals. A financial advisor can provide personalized guidance, ensuring you stay on the right path towards achieving your dreams. Happy investing!

Hi Sir . I am a 34-year-old man with a monthly income of 1.4 Lakh. I have a 1-year-old son. I haven't invested in mutual fund investments before and seek your guidance on how much to invest and in which mutual funds. My financial goals are as follows: Accumulate atleast 6 crores before retirement (in the next 20 years). Save atleast 1 crore for my son's higher education in the next 15 years. Set aside atleast 50 lakhs for my son's marriage in the next 20-25 years. My current investments include: PPF - 1.5 Lakhs per annum for the last 5 years. NPS - 50000 per annum for the last 3 year. ULIP - 1.2 Lakh per annum for last 1 year One SBI scheme - 1.2 Lakhs per annum for last 3 years My wife is also working with monthly income of 1.4 Lakhs. I would greatly appreciate your advice on how to structure my mutual fund investments to achieve these goals. Thank You.
Ans: Given your financial goals and current investments, here's a suggested approach to structure your mutual fund investments:

Retirement Corpus (6 Crores in 20 years):
Start SIPs in diversified equity mutual funds with a focus on long-term growth. Allocate a significant portion of your investments towards equity funds to harness their wealth-building potential over the long term. Consider a mix of large-cap, mid-cap, and multi-cap funds to diversify across market segments and manage risk effectively. Review and increase your SIP amounts periodically, considering your income growth and inflation.
Son's Higher Education (1 Crore in 15 years):
Allocate a portion of your mutual fund investments specifically towards your son's education goal. Since the timeframe is relatively shorter, consider a balanced approach with a mix of equity and debt funds to balance growth potential with capital preservation. Gradually shift towards debt-oriented funds as the goal approaches to safeguard against market volatility and ensure capital protection.
Son's Marriage (50 Lakhs in 20-25 years):
Similar to the education goal, allocate a portion of your investments towards your son's marriage goal. Since the timeframe is longer, you can afford a more aggressive approach with a higher allocation towards equity funds. As the goal approaches, gradually shift towards more conservative investments to protect the accumulated corpus.
Review and Rebalance:
Regularly review your mutual fund investments and rebalance your portfolio as needed to ensure alignment with your financial goals and risk tolerance. Consider consulting with a Certified Financial Planner to periodically reassess your goals, investment strategy, and progress towards achieving them.
Remember, investing is a long-term commitment, and staying disciplined, diversified, and focused on your goals is key to achieving financial success.