Kirtan

Kirtan A Shah  |77 Answers  |Ask -

MF Expert, Financial Planner - Answered on Aug 28, 2023

Kirtan A Shah is a certified financial planner and managing director, private wealth, at Credence Family Office.
He is also a Certified International Wealth Manager and Financial Engineering and Risk Manager.
Shah is the co-author of Financial Service Management and Financial Market Operations, which are used as reference books for Mumbai University.
Asked by Anonymous - Aug 28, 2023Hindi

Hello, Good Day, I am retiring soon and my total corpse in hand will be around 1.25 crore. What would be your advise to invest this to get systematic monthly income?

Ans: Start with,
- Senior Citizen Savings Scheme
- LIC PMVVY

What you do with the remaining investment will completely depend on your risk profile & requirements. You can choose to do FD's, Corporate Bonds or SWP from Debt Mutual Funds

Hi Sir, I am 50 years and planning for early retirement by this dec 2024. I will have around 2 crores to manage my post retirement expenses. I would need 1 lakh for my expenses. Please suggest ways to invest this 2 crores and get 1 lakh from it every month.
Ans: Congratulations on planning for your early retirement! It's commendable that you're taking proactive steps to ensure a comfortable retirement lifestyle. Let's explore some strategies to invest your 2 crores and generate a monthly income of 1 lakh to meet your expenses:

Assessing Your Retirement Needs
Before deciding on investment options, it's crucial to assess your retirement expenses, risk tolerance, and investment horizon. Since you'll need 1 lakh per month for expenses, your investment strategy should aim to generate a sustainable and reliable income stream while preserving capital.

Investment Options
1. Systematic Withdrawal Plan (SWP)
Consider investing a portion of your 2 crores in mutual funds or balanced funds and setting up a systematic withdrawal plan (SWP). SWP allows you to withdraw a fixed amount regularly, typically on a monthly basis, while keeping the remaining investment invested to continue generating returns.

2. Dividend-Paying Stocks or Mutual Funds
Invest in dividend-paying stocks or mutual funds that focus on generating regular income through dividends. Dividend income can supplement your monthly expenses and provide a steady stream of income in retirement.

3. Rental Income from Real Estate
If you're open to real estate investments, consider purchasing rental properties that can generate rental income to cover a portion of your monthly expenses. Rental income can provide stability and inflation protection over the long term.

4. Fixed Deposits or Bonds
Allocate a portion of your retirement corpus to fixed deposits (FDs) or bonds to provide stability and capital preservation. While FDs offer fixed interest income, bonds provide regular coupon payments, which can supplement your monthly income.

Risk Mitigation Strategies
Diversification: Diversify your investments across different asset classes and investment vehicles to spread risk and reduce dependency on any single source of income.
Emergency Fund: Maintain an emergency fund equivalent to 6-12 months of expenses to cover unforeseen expenses and mitigate the need to liquidate investments during market downturns.
Regular Review: Monitor the performance of your investments regularly and adjust your withdrawal strategy as needed to ensure it remains sustainable over the long term.
Seeking Professional Advice
Consider consulting with a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) who can provide personalized advice tailored to your retirement goals, risk tolerance, and financial situation. A CFP can help you develop a comprehensive retirement income strategy and ensure your investments align with your objectives.

In conclusion, by diversifying your investments across SWP, dividend-paying stocks or mutual funds, rental properties, and fixed income instruments, you can generate a sustainable monthly income of 1 lakh to meet your post-retirement expenses. Remember to assess your needs, risks, and consult with a financial planner to create a customized retirement income plan.

I will retire this year at the age of 63. Will have a corpus of around 3 crores out of which I want to have a yearly return of at least 18 lakhs to take care of monthly expenses. How do you suggest to invest ??
Ans: Congratulations on reaching this significant milestone of retirement! With a corpus of 3 crores and a goal of generating an annual income of 18 lakhs, thoughtful investment planning is key. Here's a tailored approach to help you achieve your financial objectives:

Diversify your investments across various asset classes, including equities and fixed income securities, to mitigate risk and enhance returns.

Allocate a portion of your corpus to actively managed equity funds. These funds have the potential to outperform the market, especially during periods of market inefficiencies, offering you the opportunity for higher returns.

Avoid direct funds investing. They may require active management, expertise, and time, which could be challenging, especially during your retirement phase. Instead, consider investing through a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) who can guide you in selecting the right mutual fund distributors (MFDs).

Fixed income investments such as bonds and debt mutual funds can provide stability and regular income. Allocate a significant portion of your corpus to these instruments to meet your income requirements.

Regular review and rebalancing of your portfolio are essential to ensure it remains aligned with your financial goals and risk tolerance. Consider periodic consultations with your CFP to make any necessary adjustments.

Stay informed about market trends and economic developments. Keeping yourself updated will empower you to make informed decisions regarding your investments.

Remember, investing is a journey, and it's essential to remain patient and disciplined. With careful planning and prudent investment decisions, you can enjoy a financially secure retirement.