Tax Expert - Answered on Mar 15, 2023

Mihir Ashok Tanna, who works with a well-known chartered accountancy firm in Mumbai, has more than 15 years of experience in direct taxation.
He handles various kinds of matters related to direct tax such as PAN/ TAN application; compliance including ITR, TDS return filing; issuance/ filing of statutory forms like Form 15CB, Form 61A, etc; application u/s 10(46); application for condonation of delay; application for lower/ nil TDS certificate; transfer pricing and study report; advisory/ opinion on direct tax matters; handling various income-tax notices; compounding application on show cause for TDS default; verification of books for TDS/ TCS/ equalisation levy compliance; application for pending income-tax demand and refund; charitable trust taxation and compliance; income-tax scrutiny and CIT(A) for all types of taxpayers including individuals, firms, LLPs, corporates, trusts, non-resident individuals and companies.
subhash Question by subhash on Mar 03, 2023Hindi

My father bought a land 0f of 5000 sft for Rs Rs 3500 in 1959.He constructed a 1500sft house on the land in 1967 for Rs 30000 . He passed away in 1986.Self and mother became owner.Mother passed away in 2011and Ibecame the owner. The building and land together was given to a builder in 2015 for construction of flats.As per the agreement I have received 4 flats and construction was completed on 27.11.2021 and handed over to me. Now I have sold one flat (out of four)for 18 lakhs. I want to know whether it will be short or long term capital gain ? I do not want to re invest in property and want to pay appropriate amount of tax .Kindly guide me with procedure.Whether I need to open a separate account in bank and park this money till I pay tax? Thanks. s guha.

Ans: For taxation on redevelopment, there was amendment from 1.4.2018. Before said amendment, when property is transferred to builder for development, capital gain chargeable to tax. I understand that you have not paid any tax in the year in which property is transferred to builder, accordingly, it is advised to take proper consultancy from tax consultant.

Tejas

Tejas Chokshi  |126 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on May 29, 2023

I have purchased a land of Rs. 2.5 Lacs in 2001 and start constructions on that in 2005 with 2 floors and also completed the constructions with in 5 months. Taken a loan from DHFL of Rs. 5 Lac and also repaid in next 2-3 years. Just two years back also extended one floor. Now there is 3 complete floor and one half floor is there. If today I sell this property (which is approx 80 sqyds plot size) in 70 lacs then how much capital gain tax (if applicable) I need to pay. Pl. also note that we don't so much documents for constructions related and total exp. is around 25-30 Lacs on that.
Ans: To calculate the capital gains tax on the sale of your property, we need to consider the acquisition cost, the cost of improvement, and the sale proceeds. Let's break down the calculations:

Acquisition Cost:
The acquisition cost is the amount you paid for the land in 2001, which is Rs. 2.5 lakhs.

Cost of Improvement:
The cost of improvement includes the expenses incurred for construction and any subsequent additions or extensions made to the property. In this case, it includes the construction of the initial two floors, the extension of one floor, and any other related expenses. You mentioned that the total expenses were around 25-30 lakhs. Let's assume the cost of improvement is Rs. 28 lakhs.

Indexed Cost of Acquisition and Improvement:
To adjust the acquisition cost and cost of improvement for inflation, we need to calculate the indexed cost. The indexed cost is calculated using the Cost Inflation Index (CII) provided by the Income Tax Department. The CII for the relevant years can be found on the Income Tax Department's website.

Let's assume the CII for the year 2001-2002 was 100 and for the current financial year, it is 317.

Indexed Cost of Acquisition = Acquisition Cost × (CII for the year of sale/CII for the year of acquisition)
Indexed Cost of Acquisition = Rs. 2.5 lakhs × (317/100) = Rs. 7,92,500

Indexed Cost of Improvement = Cost of Improvement × (CII for the year of sale/CII for the year of improvement)
Indexed Cost of Improvement = Rs. 28 lakhs × (317/100) = Rs. 88,76,000

Capital Gain:
To calculate the capital gain, deduct the indexed cost of acquisition and the indexed cost of improvement from the sale proceeds.
Capital Gain = Sale Proceeds - (Indexed Cost of Acquisition + Indexed Cost of Improvement)
Capital Gain = Rs. 70 lakhs - (Rs. 7,92,500 + Rs. 88,76,000)
Capital Gain = Rs. -26,68,500 (Assuming the indexed cost is higher than the sale proceeds)

Since the calculated capital gain is negative, it means there is no capital gain tax applicable in this case. This is because the sale proceeds are less than the indexed cost of acquisition and improvement.

My Father has purchase a property for rs 115000 in year 1994.at Bhayandar west district Thane at Maharashtra state.and my Father did this registration in amnesty scheme in year 2008.and after that my Father died in year 2014.and after I made a release deed transfer this property in my name (son). I sold this residential property in June 2024for rs 30lakh.in this case I want to know the status of capital gain is there or not I also want to know if I sell this residential property .I can purchase ashop or not. If I want to save capital gain what is the solution to save my tax. Thanking u.
Ans: You sold a property in June 2024 for Rs 30 lakh. It was bought for Rs 1,15,000 in 1994. Let's evaluate if there's a capital gain.

Indexed Cost of Acquisition

The property purchase cost will be adjusted for inflation. This is called the Indexed Cost of Acquisition (ICA). The ICA is calculated using the Cost Inflation Index (CII) provided by the Income Tax Department.

Calculating Indexed Cost

Calculate the ICA to understand your capital gain. Since we won't use specific formulas here, you can consult a Certified Financial Planner to get the precise ICA value. This helps in determining the exact capital gain.

Long-Term Capital Gains (LTCG)

Since you held the property for more than 24 months, it is classified as a long-term asset. The profit from the sale, after adjusting for the ICA, is your Long-Term Capital Gain (LTCG).

Tax on LTCG

LTCG is taxed at 20% with indexation benefits. However, there are ways to save on this tax.

Investing in Another Property

You can save on capital gains tax by investing in another residential property. This is covered under Section 54 of the Income Tax Act. If you buy a residential house within two years or construct one within three years, you can claim exemption.

Investing in Capital Gains Bonds

Another option is to invest in Capital Gains Bonds under Section 54EC. These bonds have a lock-in period of five years and provide tax exemption on the gains. The maximum investment limit in these bonds is Rs 50 lakh.

Purchasing a Shop

Buying a shop will not provide capital gains tax exemption under Section 54. The exemption is only for residential properties. If you sell a residential property, you must reinvest in a residential property to save on capital gains tax.

Other Options to Save Tax

Residential Property: Invest in another residential property within two years.

Construction: Construct a new house within three years.

Capital Gains Bonds: Invest in these bonds within six months of the sale.

To save on capital gains tax, reinvest in a residential property or Capital Gains Bonds. Purchasing a shop will not help in saving tax on capital gains. Consulting a Certified Financial Planner can help you navigate these options efficiently.

Aasif Ahmed Khan

Aasif Ahmed Khan   |87 Answers  |Ask -

Tech Career Expert - Answered on Jul 24, 2024

My son studying in Dual degree Btech + Mtech ELectrical & Electronics Engineering at JNTU hyderabad and BS in DSA online IITM. He is offered 5 yr mtech CSE at Mahindra University hyd. He is intrested in IT. Looking at his intrest can i change the college now.
Ans: Ultimately, the decision should be based on what aligns best with his interests and career aspirations. If he is passionate about IT and computer science, switching to the MTech CSE program at Mahindra University could be a great move. However, it’s important to weigh all factors and make an informed decision.

Have an open conversation with your son about his interests, career goals, and how he feels about the potential switch.
In addition speak with academic advisors at both JNTU Hyderabad and Mahindra University to understand the curriculum, opportunities, and any potential challenges. you can evaluate Long-Term Goals by Consider the long-term career prospects and how each program aligns with his goals.

If your son is more interested in IT and computer science, the MTech CSE program will be more aligned with his career goals, a specialized degree in CSE can open up more opportunities in the IT sector, including roles in software development, data science, and cybersecurity.

Switching programs and colleges can be challenging and might require some adjustment time. Consider how far along he is in his current dual degree program. If he’s already made significant progress, it might be worth weighing the benefits of completing it versus starting anew.

I am 30 years now, starting SIP from 2021 Asix small cap 1000, from 2023,November HDFC flexi cap 1500, Kotak emerging mid - 1000 tata small cap 1000 p. m.. As a long term horizon 15:yrs, is it possible to create great wealth, except Stocks...
Ans: Evaluating Your Current Investment Strategy
You are 30 years old and have been investing in SIPs since 2021. Your current SIPs are:

Small Cap Fund: Rs. 1,000 from 2021
Flexi Cap Fund: Rs. 1,500 from November 2023
Mid Cap Fund: Rs. 1,000 from November 2023
Another Small Cap Fund: Rs. 1,000 from November 2023
You have a long-term investment horizon of 15 years.

Potential for Wealth Creation
Investing in mutual funds over a long term can potentially create great wealth.

Compounding Effect: Over 15 years, compounding can significantly grow your investments.

Market Ups and Downs: Long-term investments help you ride out market volatility.

Analyzing Your Investment Choices
Your portfolio focuses on small cap and mid cap funds. These funds are high-risk but offer high returns.

High Growth Potential: Small cap and mid cap funds can outperform large caps in the long term.

Risk Diversification: Including a flexi cap fund helps diversify your investments.

Recommendations for a Balanced Portfolio
To maximize wealth and manage risk, consider further diversification.

Large Cap Funds: Provide stability and steady returns.

Debt Funds: Lower risk and provide regular income, balancing out high-risk investments.

Suggested Monthly SIP Allocation
To balance risk and growth, consider this allocation:

Small Cap Fund: Continue Rs. 1,000
Flexi Cap Fund: Continue Rs. 1,500
Mid Cap Fund: Continue Rs. 1,000
Another Small Cap Fund: Continue Rs. 1,000
Large Cap Fund: Add Rs. 1,500
Debt Fund: Add Rs. 1,000
Benefits of This Diversified Approach
Risk Management: Reduces overall risk by balancing high-risk and low-risk funds.

Stable Returns: Large cap and debt funds provide stability, especially during market downturns.

Growth Potential: Small cap and mid cap funds offer high growth potential over the long term.

Monitoring and Reviewing Your Portfolio
Regularly monitor and review your portfolio to ensure it aligns with your financial goals.

Periodic Review: Assess fund performance and make necessary adjustments.

Consult a CFP: Seek advice from a Certified Financial Planner for personalized investment strategies.

Additional Considerations
Emergency Fund: Maintain an emergency fund to cover at least 6 months of expenses.

Insurance Coverage: Ensure you have adequate health and life insurance.

Your current SIP strategy is promising for long-term wealth creation. By diversifying further into large cap and debt funds, you can manage risk and ensure steady growth. Regularly review your portfolio and consult a Certified Financial Planner for personalized advice.

I am working in a foreign bank 10 years exp with salary of 40k.have two kids.i pay monthly emi for car,rest for savings and expenses.pls suggest how to do investment.0 idea on investment.plz help
Ans: You have a stable salary of Rs 40,000 per month. Here's a quick summary:

Salary: Rs 40,000
EMI: Monthly car loan EMI
Expenses: For family and kids
Savings: Whatever is left after expenses and EMI
You are looking to invest wisely. Let's break it down into simple steps.

Setting Clear Financial Goals

First, create an emergency fund.
This should cover 6 months of expenses.
Keep this in a savings account or liquid fund.
Children’s Education:

Start a systematic investment plan (SIP) for each child.
This will help build a corpus for their education.
Retirement Planning:

Aim to save for your retirement.
Start investing in diversified equity mutual funds.
Systematic Investment Plans (SIP):

Start SIPs in actively managed mutual funds.
Avoid index funds due to their passive nature.
Actively managed funds can offer better returns with professional management.
Diversification:

Invest in a mix of large-cap, mid-cap, and multi-cap funds.
This will spread risk and improve returns.
Debt Funds:

Allocate some money to debt funds for stability.
They are less volatile and provide steady returns.
Life Insurance:

Ensure you have adequate life insurance.
This protects your family in case of any unforeseen events.
Specific Recommendations
Start with SIPs:

Allocate Rs 5,000 each in large-cap, mid-cap, and multi-cap funds.
This ensures diversification and growth.

Set aside Rs 5,000 monthly in a liquid fund.
This builds your emergency fund gradually.
Children’s Education Fund:

Invest Rs 5,000 each in child-specific funds.
This secures their future education needs.
Avoid Direct Funds:

Direct funds lack professional guidance.
Regular funds through an MFD with CFP credential provide better management.
Regular Review and Adjustment
Annual Review:

Review your investments annually.
Adjust based on performance and goals.
Rebalance Portfolio:

Rebalance to maintain desired asset allocation.
This helps manage risk and returns.
Additional Tips
Avoid High-Risk Investments:

Stick to mutual funds and avoid real estate or annuities.
These are more stable and manageable.
Stay Informed:

Read about personal finance and investment strategies.
This helps make informed decisions.
You have a solid start with your savings. By following these steps, you can secure your financial future and achieve your goals. Stay disciplined and regularly review your investments.

Aasif Ahmed Khan

Aasif Ahmed Khan   |87 Answers  |Ask -

Hi, I'm a PCMB student,I got 84023 rank in kcet in engineering section and 49655 in b pharma, 45205 in bsc agriculture, I'm confused whether to take engineering, which are the good colleges for my rank, I'm considering east point college near avalahalli, Hoskote is it good choice for me, or should I choose BCA over engineering in the same college. I'm totally confused
Ans: With a KCET rank of 84023, you might find it challenging to get into the top-tier engineering colleges. However, there are still good options available.

Choosing between BCA and Engineering depends on your interests and career goals:
Engineering: If you have a strong interest in technical subjects and enjoy problem-solving, engineering could be a good fit. It offers diverse career opportunities in various fields like mechanical, electrical, civil, and computer science.
BCA (Bachelor of Computer Applications): If you’re more inclined towards computer science and software development, BCA might be a better choice. It focuses on programming, software development, and IT management, leading to careers in software engineering, IT consulting, and more.

Given your ranks in B.Pharm (49655) and B.Sc Agriculture (45205), you might have better opportunities in these fields compared to engineering. Both fields have promising career prospects:
B.Pharm: Careers in pharmaceuticals, research, and healthcare.
B.Sc Agriculture: Opportunities in agribusiness, research, and government sectors.

Reflect on what subjects and career paths excite you the most, if possible, visit the colleges you’re considering to get a better understanding of their environment and facilities. Reach out to alumni or current students to get insights into the college and its programs.