Financial Planner - Answered on Apr 10, 2024

Peeyush Question by Peeyush on Feb 29, 2024Hindi

Sir, I am 36 Yrs Old having a daughter aged 2. We (me and my wife) have a corpus of 3 Cr invested 70% in equities in rest in debt via FDs, Gold and Debt Mutual Funds. I'll be getting some lumpsum amount in next 2 years and our corpus will grow to 5 Cr in that time frame. How much more do I need to save if I want to retire by 42-43? My monthly expenses are currently 1.2 lakhs per month.

Ans: Your situation is very good so no need to worry

RamalingamJi, I am 51 years old & having approx. corpus of Rs. 30L. I want to have 1.5L/month after retirement (at the age of 58 yrs.) so how much should I save from now so that I can have this much money w/o trouble. At present I am investing 20K/month in MF, 12.5K/month in PPF, 30K/month in EPF, 12K in Sukanya Smridhi, 17k/month in NPS, 6k/month in another PPF & another 20K/month in other saving schemes making it total 117.5K/month.
Ans: Planning for your Retirement Income
You're taking a great step by planning for your retirement income at 51. Here's how we can estimate how much you might need to save to reach your goal of Rs. 1.5 lakh per month after retirement at 58.

Factors to Consider:

Current Savings: Your current monthly savings of Rs. 1,17,500 is a significant starting point.
Time Horizon: You have 7 years (58 - 51) till retirement.
Desired Retirement Income: Your target monthly income is Rs. 1,50,000.
Inflation: Inflation erodes the purchasing power of money over time. Consider a conservative estimate of 5-7% inflation.
Rate of Return: The expected return on your investments will determine how much you need to save.
Here's a simplified calculation (assuming a fixed rate of return):

Total Corpus Required:

Let's assume an 8% annual return and 7% inflation (adjusted return of 1%).
We can use the formula for perpetuity present value (PV) to calculate the corpus needed: PV = Desired monthly income (adjusted for inflation) / Adjusted annual return PV = (Rs. 1,50,000 * 12) / (1 + 0.01) = Rs. 1,80,00,000
Shortfall in Corpus:

You already have Rs. 30 lakh corpus.
The shortfall would be Rs. 1,80,00,000 - Rs. 30,00,000 = Rs. 1,50,00,000
Additional Monthly Savings:

To calculate the additional monthly savings required, we can use a savings goal calculator available online.
These factors will be considered: time horizon, desired corpus, and expected return.
Important Points to Remember:

This is a simplified calculation. Real-world returns may fluctuate.
Consider consulting a financial advisor for a personalized plan considering your risk tolerance and investment portfolio.
You've mentioned various investments (MF, PPF, EPF, etc.). An advisor can help assess the asset allocation and suggest adjustments if needed.
Positive Aspects of your Current Savings:

Your current savings of Rs. 1,17,500 per month is commendable.
You're invested in a variety of instruments (equity, debt, government schemes).
Next Steps:

Estimate Shortfall: Use a retirement calculator to get a more accurate estimate of the additional monthly savings required.
Review Investments: Consult a financial advisor to assess your current asset allocation and suggest adjustments if necessary to align with your retirement goals.
Increase Savings: If there's a shortfall, consider ways to increase your monthly savings by reviewing expenses or increasing income.
By planning and potentially making some adjustments, you can be well on your way to achieving your desired retirement income.

I am 53 years old working woman having SIP of 50000 per month. My retirement age is 60 years. My total corpus is 1 crore 30 lacs. How much I should save to have a corpus of around 2.25 crores at my retirement?
Ans: Assessing Your Current Financial Situation
You have done an admirable job, accumulating a corpus of ?1.30 crores and saving ?50,000 per month through SIPs. At 53 years old, you are well on your way to securing a comfortable retirement by 60.

Setting a Retirement Goal
Your goal is to have a corpus of ?2.25 crores by the time you retire at 60. To achieve this, you need to evaluate your current savings strategy and make necessary adjustments.

Calculating the Required Savings
Your existing corpus and ongoing SIPs are already substantial. However, to bridge the gap and reach ?2.25 crores, you may need to increase your monthly savings or invest in higher-yielding instruments.

Consider investing in actively managed funds. These funds have professional managers who actively make investment decisions to outperform the market. This approach can potentially yield higher returns compared to index funds, which merely track the market.

Evaluating Your SIP Strategy
Your current SIPs of ?50,000 per month are a great way to build wealth systematically. Review the performance of these SIPs periodically. Ensure they are aligned with your financial goals and risk tolerance. Adjusting your SIP amount upward, if feasible, can help you reach your target faster.

Diversifying Your Investments
Diversification reduces risk and enhances potential returns. Ensure your portfolio includes a balanced mix of equity and debt funds. Equity funds offer growth, while debt funds provide stability.

Importance of Regular Reviews
Regularly reviewing your investment portfolio is essential. Financial markets and personal circumstances change over time. Annual reviews with a Certified Financial Planner can help you stay on track towards your retirement goal.

Assess your risk tolerance. As you approach retirement, consider gradually shifting from high-risk investments to more stable ones. This strategy protects your corpus from market volatility as you near your retirement age.

A Certified Financial Planner can provide personalized advice tailored to your situation. They can help optimize your investment strategy, ensuring it aligns with your retirement goals. Their expertise ensures your financial plan is robust and adaptable to changes.

Inflation Considerations
Inflation erodes purchasing power over time. Ensure your retirement corpus grows at a rate that outpaces inflation. Investing in growth-oriented funds can help counteract the effects of inflation.

Health and Emergency Funds
Maintain an emergency fund separate from your retirement savings. This fund should cover unexpected expenses and be easily accessible. Additionally, ensure you have adequate health insurance to cover medical costs during retirement.

Appreciating Your Progress
Your dedication to saving and planning for retirement is commendable. By staying disciplined and proactive, you are well on your way to achieving your retirement goals. Continue your efforts with confidence and regular guidance from a Certified Financial Planner.

To achieve a retirement corpus of ?2.25 crores by age 60, consider increasing your SIPs, diversifying your investments, and regularly reviewing your portfolio. With professional guidance and careful planning, you can secure a comfortable and fulfilling retirement.

My age is 49 and has a monthly salary of INR 291000 and expect yearly hike of 5%. Want to retire by 55 years. Has Current loan of 60K and Current savings monthly are 50K SIP, 20K life insurance, 62K PF my contribution, 25K PPF(mine and wifes), Currnet asseats are own house, 35lacs in PF, 25lacs in SIP and 40lacs in FD. I have one daughter 9 yrears. How much corpus should be enough at retirement and is this savings good enough to achieve that.
Ans: Understanding Your Retirement Goals
Retirement planning is crucial to ensure a comfortable and stress-free life after you stop working. You aim to retire at 55 years, which gives you six more years to build your retirement corpus. Your current salary is Rs 2,91,000 per month, with an expected annual increment of 5%. Your monthly savings include Rs 50,000 in SIPs, Rs 20,000 in life insurance, Rs 62,000 in PF contributions, and Rs 25,000 in PPF contributions. Your current assets include a house, Rs 35 lakhs in PF, Rs 25 lakhs in SIPs, and Rs 40 lakhs in FDs. Additionally, you have a loan of Rs 60,000. Understanding these details helps in assessing if your savings are adequate for your retirement goals.

Evaluating Current Savings and Investments
Your disciplined approach to saving and investing is commendable. Consistent contributions to SIPs, PF, and PPF are effective ways to build a retirement corpus. Additionally, your current assets are well-diversified across various instruments, which is prudent. However, it is important to assess whether these savings and investments are sufficient to meet your retirement needs.

Systematic Investment Plans (SIPs)
SIPs are a popular choice for many investors due to their potential for high returns over the long term. They offer the benefit of rupee cost averaging and compounding. Actively managed funds, compared to index funds, can potentially provide better returns because they are managed by professionals who actively select stocks. However, it's essential to review the performance of these funds regularly and ensure they align with your risk tolerance and financial goals.

Provident Fund (PF) and Public Provident Fund (PPF)
Your contributions to PF and PPF are great for ensuring a stable, risk-free portion of your retirement corpus. PF offers a stable return with tax benefits, which is an excellent way to secure a part of your retirement income. PPF, with its tax-free interest and principal, is another safe investment that complements your riskier investments like SIPs.

Addressing the Loan
It is good to note that your current loan is Rs 60,000, which is relatively small compared to your overall financial picture. Paying off this loan should be a priority, as being debt-free at retirement is ideal. The sooner you clear this loan, the better your financial health will be.

To determine how much corpus you will need at retirement, several factors need to be considered:

Expected Monthly Expenses: Estimate your monthly expenses post-retirement, considering inflation.

Life Expectancy: Plan for at least 30 years post-retirement.

Inflation Rate: Assume an average inflation rate of 6-7% annually.

Current Savings and Future Contributions: Calculate the future value of your current savings and ongoing contributions.

Estimating Monthly Expenses
Your monthly expenses in retirement may differ from your current expenses. Some costs may reduce, like work-related expenses, while healthcare and leisure costs might increase. It is vital to have a clear understanding of your expected monthly expenses. Let's assume your current monthly expenses are Rs 1,20,000. Considering inflation, these expenses will increase by the time you retire.

Inflation and Life Expectancy
Inflation significantly impacts retirement planning. Assuming an average inflation rate of 6-7%, your expenses will grow over time. Additionally, planning for a longer life expectancy ensures you do not outlive your savings. For example, if you retire at 55 and plan for 30 years, your corpus should support you until 85.

Future Value of Current Savings
Let's project the future value of your current savings and ongoing contributions. This projection helps in understanding if your current strategy will meet your retirement goals.

Evaluating the Sufficiency of Your Savings
Given your disciplined savings approach, you are on a strong path. However, ensuring these savings are enough requires careful planning. Regularly reviewing your investment portfolio and adjusting as necessary will keep you on track.

Actively managed funds have the potential to outperform index funds, as fund managers make strategic decisions based on market conditions. This active management can lead to higher returns, although it often comes with higher fees. Nonetheless, the potential for greater returns can justify the cost, making actively managed funds a compelling option for growth-oriented investors like yourself.

Direct funds require a hands-on approach and deep market knowledge. Investing directly means you are responsible for all decisions, which can be risky if you are not well-versed in market dynamics. Regular funds, managed by Certified Financial Planners, offer professional expertise and monitoring, which can lead to better risk management and potentially higher returns. This professional guidance is invaluable, especially as you approach retirement and seek to secure your financial future.

Prioritizing Education for Your Daughter
Your nine-year-old daughter’s education is another critical goal. Education costs are rising, and planning for her future expenses is essential. Setting aside dedicated savings for her education, such as a child education plan, ensures that you are prepared for these costs without compromising your retirement corpus.

Importance of Insurance
Your current life insurance policy is a good step towards securing your family's financial future. Adequate insurance coverage is crucial to protect against unforeseen circumstances. Evaluating whether your current insurance is sufficient or if additional coverage is needed is advisable.

Your current savings and investment strategy reflect a strong commitment to financial planning. By continuing to save diligently and reviewing your investment portfolio regularly, you can build a robust retirement corpus. Paying off your loan and ensuring adequate insurance coverage further strengthens your financial position. Planning for your daughter's education and considering the benefits of actively managed funds over direct investments are also crucial steps.

Soft Skills Trainer - Answered on Jul 12, 2024

Hello sir my name is Santu Chakraborty.I am 34 year old now unmarried. My qualification is Bsc botany honours with 2nd class +diploma in mechanical engineering with distinction +btech in mechanical engineering from government engineering college west Bengal with 7.5 dgpa.I have 6 years of teaching experience in private diploma engineering college and now I working as a vocational teacher in automobile engineering department in gov high school.In my early phase of life I am going through lots of Misguide,seveare Anxiety issue. Nobody can help me on that phase.I recover mostly by my own after various dillema.I want to work in mechanical r and d company, Mechanical design basis company and also upgrade my teaching carrier. How can I start my journey at this age ?what is the risk factor also? Please tell me. I am very enthusiastic dedicated person. I have no guide in my home. My father is vegetable seller.
Ans: Hi Santu Chakraborty,

This is a really exhaustive query.

The journey thru' your acquisition of qualifications has been vast!

In the course of your life you are now suffering from SNIOP (SUSCEPTIBLE NEGATIVE INFLUENCE OTHER PEOPLE) this happens when you let others control your life.

I have this poem.. Especially for one's like you!

The Guy in the Glass

When you get what you want in your struggle for pelf,
And the world makes you King for a day,
Then go to the mirror and look at yourself,
And see what that guy has to say.
For it isn't your Father, or Mother, or Wife,
Who judgement upon you must pass.
The feller whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the guy staring back from the glass.
He's the feller to please, never mind all the rest,
For he's with you clear up to the end,
And you've passed your most dangerous, difficult test
If the guy in the glass is your friend.
You may be like Jack Horner and "chisel" a plum,
And think you're a wonderful guy,
But the man in the glass says you're only a bum
If you can't look him straight in the eye.
You can fool the whole world down the pathway of years,
And get pats on the back as you pass,
But your final reward will be heartaches and tears
If you've cheated the guy in the glass.

Dale Wimbrow (c) 1934

Get the enthusiasm going, don't get embroiled in what life has been before!

Take a stranglehold of your life and make it BIG!

The opportunities are.. Miracles waiting to happen, what are you waiting for.. You are the catalyst!?
Maxim Emmanuel.

Pick up yourself don't be a victim of self pity.

If you do need further professional advice happy to assist
https://m.me/maxim.emmanuel.2024