Vivek

Vivek Shah  |60 Answers  |Ask -

Vivek Shah is a SEBI registered investment advisor and certified financial planner from FPSB India. He has over 18 years of experience in financial planning.
Shah founded Finrise, a financial planning and wealth management firm, in 2011. He believes that equity investment is the only way to generate long term wealth.
sk Question by sk on Jun 11, 2023Hindi

I HAVE 1500 SHARES OF VIKAS LIFE @ AVERAGE OF 5 WHAT SHOULD I DO? PLEASE REPLY

Ans: The Company was originally incorporated as Vikas Multicorp Limited in the year 1995. The Company changed the name from 'Vikas Multicorp Limited' to 'Vikas Lifecare Limited' by passing a Special Resolution consequent upon change of name and fresh Certificate of incorporation issued by the Registrar of Companies, NCT Delhi on April 09, 2021. The Company operates in the business of recycling plastic waste and trading of polymer compounds, manufacturing of polymers compounds.

Until 2019, the business of Company was engaged in the trading of various Polymer Compounds such as Ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA Compounds), Polyvinyl chloride resins (PVC resins), chlorinated Parrafin, Polyethylene Compound (PE Compounds) and Thermoplastic Rubber Compounds (TPR Compounds). However, subsequent to the acquisition of `Recycled and Trading Compounds Division' of group concern `Vikas Ecotech Limited' under the Scheme of Arrangement approved by National Company Law Tribunal, Principal Bench, New Delhi, the Company started manufacturing Polymer Compounds such as PE Compound, Polyvinyl Chloride Compound (PVC Compounds), V lend SOE Compound, Polypropylene Compounds (PP granules), TPR Compounds from FY 2019-20 onwards.

The Company is a del credere agent of ONGC Petro Additions Limited (OPAL). The Company has a single manufacturing plant located at Shahjahanpur, in Rajasthan. The Company business is divided into two major segments which includes recycling materials and trading of Polymer Compounds.

During the period 2021, the Company completed the acquisition of `Recycled and Trading Compounds Division' of group concern `Vikas Ecotech Limited' through demerger, thus shifting the entire manufacturing of recycled material in the Company and hence putting greater emphasis on taking this production process to greater heights. Post demerger, the Company acquired the `Recycling and Upcycling Division" from the Demerged Company i.e. Vikas Ecotech Limited, pursuant to which the Company had to incur extra expenses to carry out the new manufacturing and recycling process that came along with the acquisition of new business segment .

The Scheme of Arrangement under Section 230 to 232 Companies' Act, 2013 between the Company and Vikas Ecotech Limited (the demerged Company) and their respective Shareholders and Creditors of two companies for demerger of Trading unit Business undertaking as a going concern into the Company on the Appointed Date at the opening of business hours on 01st April 2017, has been sanctioned by the Hon'ble National Company Law Tribunal, New Delhi vide Order dated 31st October 2018. Certified copies of the Order of Hon'ble National Company Law Tribunal, New Delhi have been filed with Registrar of Companies at Delhi and the Scheme has become effective from 01st April 2017.

During the year 2019-20, pursuant to the Scheme of Arrangement, Shareholders of Vikas Ecotech Limited were allotted equity shares of the Company in the ratio of 1:1

In December 2020, the Company initiated trading in raw and finished cashew nuts to pursue one of the business strategies to venture into FMCG Industry.

The Company is venturing into a new business segment "Food protection and Personal Hygiene" segment of FMCG industry" with the total investment of approx Rs. 100 crores and have signed a definite agreement for acquisition of a portfolio or trademarks, comprising of popular and well established national brands such as S.R. Foils.

With the acquisition of the prestigious 'Brand portfolio,, the Company is initiating the process to identify and acquire an existing plant for manufacturing these items in the interim, alternate arrangements are being made to produce these products through third party contract manufacturing.

The Company is at advance stages to form partnerships through acquisition, merger or joint venture with players dealing with herbal drugs to use their marketing network and enter into retail, food protection and personal hygiene section of FMCG and to be in the retails business of consumer goods like, spices, flour, pulses, grams etc.

The Company has signed an MoU with a huge and renowned collection centre. This collection centre is a Producer Responsibility Organization formed to facilitate recycling of all kinds of packaging waste and contribute towards cleaner and greener environment. They specialize in collection and aggregation of all packaging waste in a professional and organized manner backed by technology.

Risks and negatives:
Decline in Net Profit with falling Profit Margin (QoQ)
Decline in Quarterly Net Profit with falling Profit Margin (YoY)
Major fall in TTM Net Profit
High promoter stock pledges
Company has low interest coverage ratio.
Promoter holding is low: 11.4%
Company has a low return on equity of 3.28% over last 3 years.
Promoter holding has decreased over last 3 years: -43.9%

Looking at the current high valuation of the company and company making loss and also on the above risks and negatives. Its better to be away from such businesses.

Hope this will help you. Happy Investing...

Disclaimer: Information provided is only for educational purpose. Please consult your investment adviosor before making any investment decisions

Dear Sir, I had retired from railways in Dec'23. I receive a regular monthly pension of Rs. 50000/- & Rs.9260/- as monthly dividend by investing Rs. 1500000/- in HDFC balanced advantage fund( IDCW). I have also invested Rs.3000000/- in ICICI Pru Multi-asset fund(G), Rs.1000000/- in SBI Multi Asset allocation fund(G) & Rs.2000000/- in SBI Amrit Kalash for 400 days. A considerable amount of Rs. 2500000/-(approx) is being spent for ongoing renovation work of my residence. I have a cash amount of Rs.1500000/-(approx) in SBI @ 7.30% interest which I wish to maintain as emergency fund. I'm entitled to railway medical facilities & I have a floating (With wife) health insurance of Rs. 1000000/- wef March'24. Is my investment plan ok? If not, please advise me the right plan to follow. Thank you.
Ans: Your retirement plan seems well-thought-out.

A regular pension and dividends provide stable income.

Balanced Advantage Fund
Investing in a balanced advantage fund is wise.

It offers stability and some growth.

Multi-Asset Funds
Multi-asset funds diversify your portfolio.

This reduces risk and offers moderate returns.

Fixed Deposit for Safety
Keeping funds in a fixed deposit is a good safety net.

It offers guaranteed returns.

Maintaining Rs 15 lakhs for emergencies is prudent.

It ensures liquidity in urgent situations.

Health Insurance Coverage
Railway medical facilities and health insurance provide good coverage.

This reduces your medical expense burden.

Renovation Expenses
Spending Rs 25 lakhs on renovation is considerable.

Ensure it doesn't impact your financial stability.

Suggestions for Improvement
Consider reallocating some funds to debt mutual funds.

These offer better returns than fixed deposits with moderate risk.

Avoid Direct Funds
Direct funds lack professional management.

Regular funds with CFP guidance are better for returns.

Actively Managed Funds Over Index Funds
Actively managed funds aim for higher returns.

Index funds only track market performance.

Your plan is largely sound and balanced.

Diversifying more into debt funds could enhance returns.

Continue monitoring and adjusting your portfolio as needed.

Sir, I am holding nearly 25 lakhs for an investment of 10lakhs in different mutual funds. I want to exit from some of the funds like UTI NIFTY 500 VALUE 50 INDEX FUND Regular The return on this fund is nearly hundred percent. Iam 78 years old. Wherever I have more than fifty percent return I would like to invest MIP OF POST OFFICE OR KISAAN VIKASH PATRAor SENIOR CITIZENS SCHEME.Only the profit part. Principal l will continue. Should I wait till the budget of act.Should linvst that amount in top 50 NSE.stocs. kindly treat the matter as urgent.
Ans: It's wise to exit funds like UTI NIFTY 500 VALUE 50 INDEX FUND with 100% returns. Shifting profits to safer options is a good move at your age. Let's evaluate suitable investment options.

Considering Safe Investment Options
Investing in MIP of Post Office, Kisan Vikas Patra, or Senior Citizens Scheme ensures safety. These options offer steady returns and low risk. They are ideal for preserving capital and generating regular income.

Importance of Certified Financial Planner
Consulting a CFP can provide tailored advice. They help assess your risk tolerance and financial goals. This ensures your investments align with your needs.

Evaluating Top 50 NSE Stocks
Investing in top 50 NSE stocks can offer growth potential. However, it carries higher risk compared to fixed income schemes. Given your age, balancing risk and safety is crucial.

Timing and Budget Considerations
Waiting until the budget can offer insights into tax benefits or new schemes. However, market conditions can change. Consult a CFP to decide the best time to invest based on your financial goals.

Instead of index funds, consider actively managed funds. They offer professional management and can adapt to market changes. This can lead to better returns and risk management.

Evaluating All Financial Aspects
Review your entire financial situation before deciding. Consider your expenses, other investments, and risk tolerance. Diversifying your portfolio ensures stability and growth.

Exiting high-return mutual funds and investing in safer options is prudent. Consider MIP, Kisan Vikas Patra, or Senior Citizens Scheme for safety. Consult a CFP for personalized advice and balanced investment strategies.

Greetings to the panel. I have been investing since 2017 and I am planning to restructure my investments this year. I am someone who is a free lancer and does not have a fixed monthly income. I have invested 11 Lakhs in direct equity current valued at 40 Lakhs plus. I also have invested 19 Lakhs in mutual funds currently valued 35 Lakhs. My idea was to redeem the above investments and create a corpus of 75 Lakhs. Invest the same into a place which gives me fixed monthly returns which will act like a salary for me taking care of all my monthly expenses. This will give me the freedom to use my earned money to invest more aggressively or for personal recreation etc. I wanted your guidance to understand if I m thinking on correct line and is this a good idea? If so please suggest where could I park my money to get a monthly interest payout with the least risk of depleting the capital of 75 Lakhs. Thank You
Ans: Your plan to restructure investments is wise.

Having Rs 75 lakhs for monthly income is a smart goal.

Freeing Up Funds
Your current equity and mutual funds have grown well.

Selling to create a Rs 75 lakh corpus makes sense.

Fixed Monthly Returns
Consider options like debt mutual funds and fixed deposits.

These can provide regular monthly payouts.

Debt funds offer steady returns with low risk.

They can provide monthly income through Systematic Withdrawal Plans (SWP).

Fixed Deposits
Bank FDs are safe and offer fixed returns.

Senior citizen FDs give higher interest if eligible.

Avoid Direct Funds
Direct funds lack professional guidance.

Regular funds offer expert management.

Actively Managed Funds Over Index Funds
Index funds only match market performance.

Actively managed funds aim to beat the market.

Diversify between debt funds and FDs for stability.

Maintain some funds for growth to offset inflation.

Your strategy ensures regular income and financial freedom.

Is Rs .9000000 enough to generate Rs 40000/- fixed monthly pension in any fixed pension scheme
Ans: Evaluating Rs. 90 Lakhs for Rs. 40,000 Monthly Pension
Generating Rs. 40,000 monthly from Rs. 90 lakhs depends on the investment return. Fixed pension schemes often have lower returns. We need to evaluate if the return can sustain this withdrawal.

Typical Returns from Fixed Pension Schemes
Fixed pension schemes offer stability but lower returns. They typically yield around 6-8% per annum. With Rs. 90 lakhs, this means an annual return of Rs. 5.4 to 7.2 lakhs. This translates to Rs. 45,000 to 60,000 monthly. However, this amount must cover both the monthly pension and the inflation-adjusted growth of the corpus.

A CFP can help assess your financial goals and risk tolerance. They can suggest a mix of investments to meet your needs. This ensures your money lasts through retirement and keeps up with inflation.

Consider a mix of fixed and actively managed funds. Actively managed funds can offer higher returns. They are managed by professionals who adapt to market changes. This can help in achieving better growth and sustaining your monthly pension.

Evaluating All Financial Aspects
Consider your entire financial picture. Look at your other savings, investments, and expenses. A diversified portfolio can provide stability and growth. Ensure you have enough to cover unexpected expenses and inflation.

Generating Rs. 40,000 monthly from Rs. 90 lakhs may be challenging with fixed pension schemes alone. Consider a diversified investment approach. Consult a CFP for tailored advice and planning.

My ppf account with 35 lacs corpus is matured on 1st April 24. I am 60 yr old. Should I renew the account or invest somewhere else?
Ans: Renewing Your PPF Account
Renewing your PPF account can provide continued tax benefits and secure returns. The interest rate is attractive, and the investment is safe. If you value stability and tax savings, renewing is a good choice.

Exploring Other Investment Options
However, consider other investments if you want higher returns. Actively managed funds can offer better growth potential. They are managed by professionals who adjust to market conditions. This can lead to better returns over time.

Actively managed funds provide expert management and flexibility. They can outperform the market, unlike index funds. Investing through a certified financial planner (CFP) offers personalized advice. This ensures your investments align with your goals.

Consulting a CFP is crucial. They can assess your financial needs and risk tolerance. A CFP helps you choose the right investment mix. They provide a holistic approach to financial planning, ensuring your investments meet your retirement needs.

Evaluating All Financial Aspects
Review all your financial needs before deciding. Consider your risk tolerance, income needs, and financial goals. Diversifying your investments can provide a balance of security and growth. Ensure your portfolio matches your retirement plans.

Deciding whether to renew your PPF or invest elsewhere depends on your goals. Stability and tax benefits favor renewing. Higher returns and growth potential favor actively managed funds. Consult a CFP for personalized advice.

I have to get marie. A d my widowe nephue. A lady again widow having a girl child is availble for marriage. She is getting pension. I want to know whether after marriage she is entitled to get pension? Will please guide me in this matter.
Ans: When a widow remarries, her pension status may change. It depends on the specific rules of the pension scheme she is part of. In general, many government pensions stop after remarriage. However, there are some exceptions.

Legal and Scheme-Specific Factors
First, review the pension scheme’s rules. Some schemes allow continued pension for widows after remarriage. If it is a private pension, the rules might be different. Consult the scheme's guidelines or a legal expert.

Potential Impact on Pension
Remarriage can impact the financial stability of a widow. Losing a pension might affect her income. Consider the pension as part of her overall financial plan. If the pension stops, you may need to adjust other investments or sources of income.

Actively managed funds are better than direct funds. They have professional management. This helps in navigating market changes. Regular funds offer advice and support from a certified financial planner (CFP). This can be crucial for achieving financial goals.

Consulting a CFP can provide valuable insights. They can help in understanding the implications of remarriage on pension. They also offer guidance on investment strategies. This ensures a holistic approach to financial planning.

Evaluating All Financial Aspects
Consider all aspects of financial planning. Look at insurance, savings, and other investments. Ensure that the widow’s financial needs are met. A balanced approach can provide financial security.

Marriage brings joy but may affect financial aspects. Understanding pension rules is crucial. Consulting a CFP can provide clarity and help in making informed decisions.

I m 42 years old having 2.15 CR of mutual funds want to work till max 58, So next 15 years, i need 15 CR of my corpous for retirement , i am having a sip of 1 lakhs per month, what you suggest what extra should i do to make it happen in 10 years
Ans: You have a clear goal of building a Rs 15 crore corpus in the next 10 years. You already have Rs 2.15 crore in mutual funds and are contributing Rs 1 lakh monthly via SIPs. This is an excellent start. Let's explore how to achieve your ambitious target.

Current Financial Position
Mutual Fund Corpus: Rs 2.15 crore

Monthly SIP: Rs 1 lakh

Investment Horizon: 10 years

Your disciplined investment strategy has laid a strong foundation. Now, let’s explore ways to accelerate your journey to the Rs 15 crore goal.

Increasing SIP Contributions
Annual Increase in SIPs

Consider increasing your SIP contributions annually by 10-15%. This incremental increase can significantly boost your corpus over time. For instance, if you increase your SIP by Rs 10,000 every year, it will compound and contribute substantially to your goal.

Lump Sum Investments

Whenever you receive a bonus or any lump sum amount, invest a portion of it into your mutual funds. This will provide a significant boost to your overall investments and help in achieving the Rs 15 crore target faster.

Portfolio Diversification

Continue to invest in a mix of large-cap, mid-cap, and small-cap funds. This diversification helps in balancing risk and returns. Ensure your portfolio is well-diversified across sectors to mitigate sector-specific risks.

Actively Managed Funds

Avoid index funds. Actively managed funds, managed by experienced fund managers, have the potential to outperform the market. This can be beneficial for your aggressive growth strategy.

Alternative Investment Options

Though PPF offers lower returns compared to equities, it provides stability and tax benefits. Consider investing the maximum limit annually to balance risk in your portfolio.

NPS is a tax-efficient retirement savings option. Opt for a higher equity allocation within NPS to match your growth strategy. It offers tax benefits under Sections 80C and 80CCD.

Direct Equity Investments

If you are comfortable with market volatility, consider investing directly in stocks. Ensure you research thoroughly or seek advice from a Certified Financial Planner to pick high-growth potential stocks.

Gold Investments

Gold can be a hedge against inflation and market volatility. Invest a small portion of your portfolio in gold ETFs or Sovereign Gold Bonds to diversify your investments.

Tax-Efficient Investments
Tax-Saving Instruments

Utilize tax-saving mutual funds (ELSS) for additional tax benefits under Section 80C. These funds not only save taxes but also have the potential for high returns.

Section 80C and 80CCD Benefits

Maximize your investments under these sections to save taxes and boost your retirement corpus. NPS, PPF, and ELSS are excellent options to consider.

Regular Portfolio Reviews
Annual Reviews

Review your portfolio at least once a year. Assess the performance of your funds and make necessary adjustments. Ensure your investments are aligned with your financial goals.

Rebalancing

Rebalance your portfolio periodically to maintain your desired asset allocation. This involves selling over-performing assets and reinvesting in under-performing ones to keep your portfolio balanced.

Emergency Fund and Insurance

Maintain an emergency fund covering at least six months of expenses. This fund should be liquid and easily accessible. You can keep it in a savings account or liquid funds.

Health and Life Insurance

Ensure you have adequate health and life insurance coverage. Rising medical costs can deplete your savings. A comprehensive health insurance policy provides financial security against medical emergencies.

Certified Financial Planner (CFP)

Engage with a Certified Financial Planner to get personalized advice. A CFP can help you create a robust financial plan, monitor your investments, and make necessary adjustments.

Regular Consultations

Schedule regular consultations with your CFP. This will help you stay on track and make informed decisions based on market conditions and personal circumstances.

Planning for Retirement
Define Retirement Lifestyle

Estimate your monthly expenses during retirement. Consider factors like healthcare, travel, and leisure activities. This helps in setting a realistic retirement corpus.

Inflation Adjustment

Account for inflation while planning your retirement corpus. An inflation-adjusted retirement corpus ensures your purchasing power remains intact.

Achieving a Rs 15 crore corpus in 10 years is ambitious but achievable with a disciplined approach. Increase your SIP contributions annually, diversify your investments, and utilize tax-efficient instruments. Regularly review your portfolio and seek professional guidance to stay on track. By following these steps, you can achieve your retirement goals and secure a financially stable future.

Hi sir , I had taken a ULIP pension plan 2 from HDFC in 2009 with monthly sip of 4000. It's value now is 21 lakh will I have to pay income tax on the total amount and will the amount be added to my salary for tax liability. Please guide me
Ans: ULIP pension plans are a mix of investment and insurance. You have invested in HDFC's ULIP pension plan since 2009 with a monthly SIP of Rs 4,000. Now, your plan's value is Rs 21 lakhs. It's crucial to understand how this affects your taxes.

Taxation on ULIPs
ULIPs have a specific tax treatment. The premiums paid for ULIPs are eligible for tax deduction under Section 80C. However, the tax treatment at the time of maturity or withdrawal is essential to understand.

Maturity Proceeds
The taxability of maturity proceeds from ULIPs depends on whether the premiums paid exceed 10% of the sum assured. If the premium paid does not exceed 10% of the sum assured, the maturity proceeds are tax-exempt under Section 10(10D). Let's evaluate this for your plan.

Evaluating Your ULIP
To determine the taxability, we need to check the sum assured of your ULIP. If the annual premium of Rs 48,000 (Rs 4,000 x 12) does not exceed 10% of the sum assured, your maturity proceeds will be tax-exempt.

Tax on Partial Withdrawals
Partial withdrawals from ULIPs are also tax-free if they meet the above conditions. However, if the conditions are not met, the proceeds will be taxed.

Adding to Salary for Tax Calculation
If the maturity proceeds are taxable, they will be added to your income for that financial year. This means it will increase your total taxable income, and you will have to pay tax according to your income tax slab.

Breaking Down the Tax Implications
Let's dive deeper into the tax implications.

Scenario 1: Maturity Proceeds are Tax-Exempt
If your ULIP's sum assured is such that the annual premium is less than 10% of the sum assured:

No Tax on Maturity: The entire Rs 21 lakhs will be tax-exempt.
Scenario 2: Maturity Proceeds are Taxable
If the premium exceeds 10% of the sum assured:

Taxable Amount: The Rs 21 lakhs will be added to your income for the year.
Tax Calculation: The amount will be taxed according to your income slab.
Understanding Your Current Financial Situation
You have diligently invested in a ULIP for over a decade. Your disciplined approach has resulted in a significant corpus. Now, you need to make informed decisions about your future investments and tax liabilities.

Future Investment Strategies
Diversify Your Portfolio
While ULIPs offer a mix of investment and insurance, it's essential to diversify. Consider investing in mutual funds, PPF, and other debt instruments.

Benefits of Mutual Funds
Higher Returns: Equity mutual funds generally offer higher returns compared to ULIPs.

Flexibility: You can switch between different funds and redeem your investments as per your needs.

Systematic Investment Plan (SIP): SIPs help in disciplined investing and rupee cost averaging.

Index funds track a specific index. They have lower expense ratios but lack the potential to outperform the market. Actively managed funds, on the other hand, have fund managers making strategic decisions to outperform the market.

Regular Funds vs. Direct Funds
Direct Funds: These have lower expense ratios but require more active management and market knowledge from the investor.

Regular Funds: These come with the expertise of a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) and an advisor, providing guidance and regular reviews.

Investing Through a Certified Financial Planner (CFP)
A CFP can offer personalized advice, helping you choose the right mix of investments based on your goals and risk tolerance. They provide ongoing support and adjustments to your portfolio.

Creating a Balanced Portfolio
Your current investments in ULIPs have served you well. Now, it's time to create a balanced portfolio that includes:

Equity: For growth and higher returns.

Debt: For stability and regular income.

Fixed Income: For safety and guaranteed returns.

Tax Planning Strategies
Proper tax planning can help reduce your tax liability and increase your net returns. Here are some strategies to consider:

Maximize Section 80C: Continue to invest in tax-saving instruments like PPF, ELSS, and life insurance.

Use Section 80D: Take advantage of deductions for health insurance premiums.

Capital Gains Planning: Plan the sale of assets to minimize capital gains tax.

Ensure you have comprehensive health insurance to protect your savings from medical emergencies. This also provides tax benefits under Section 80D.

Maintain an emergency fund to cover 6-12 months of expenses. This fund should be in liquid and safe investments.

Estate Planning
Consider estate planning to ensure your assets are distributed as per your wishes. This can include writing a will and setting up trusts.

Your journey with ULIP has been fruitful. However, diversifying your investments and planning your taxes effectively can enhance your financial security. By consulting a CFP and creating a balanced portfolio, you can achieve your financial goals and enjoy a comfortable retirement.