Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Feb 09, 2023

Sushil Sukhwani is the founding director of the overseas education consultant firm, Edwise International. He has 31 years of experience in counselling students who have opted to study abroad in various countries, including the UK, USA, Canada and Australia. He is part of the board of directors at the American International Recruitment Council and an honorary committee member of the Australian Alumni Association. Sukhwani is an MBA graduate from Bond University, Australia. ... more

Sushil, What are the benefits of studying law in Canada or Australia compared to India? Which field has more opportunity after studying abroad, law or engineering?

Ans: Hello!

Pursuing a law degree in Canada or Australia can offer several advantages as compared to studying in India, including:

• International Exposure: Studying law in a foreign country provides an opportunity for students to gain exposure to diverse cultural, legal and professional perspectives, thereby expanding their outlook and augmenting their global network.

• Improved Career Opportunities: International universities often have established connections with law firms, government agencies, and other organizations, offering students the potential for valuable internship and employment opportunities.

• Quality Education: Universities in Canada and Australia are renowned for their high standards of education and cutting-edge facilities, which can deliver a rigorous and enriching academic experience to students.

The prospects open to a person will rely on a number of things, including their particular fields of study, professional ambitions, and the employment market in their intended region, when comparing law and engineering. Both law and engineering may offer rewarding and successful jobs, but the options are different based on the person's abilities, interests, and background.

Also, graduate from an accredited paralegal education program requires to clear a Licensing Process. The licensing process consists of a licensing examination, a good character requirement and an application for a P1 license.

Abhishek

Abhishek Shah  |76 Answers  |Ask -

HR Expert - Answered on Aug 22, 2023

sir, my son is LLM in international law from Brussels . But find difficult placement in india as well outside. being father in concern i m worried . would like to know if law career is wrong choice to get settle .
Ans: I understand your concerns about your son's career prospects in international law. It's natural for parents to worry about their child's future, especially when it comes to career choices. International law is a highly specialized field that can offer rewarding opportunities, but like any profession, success can depend on various factors.

Here are a few considerations to keep in mind:

Specialization and Niche Expertise: International law is a complex and competitive field. Having a specialized skill set or focusing on a niche area within international law can make your son stand out. Whether it's human rights, trade law, environmental law, or something else, finding a unique area of expertise can improve his prospects.

Networking and Internships: Connections within the legal community are invaluable. Encourage your son to attend conferences, workshops, and seminars related to international law. Internships, whether paid or unpaid, can also provide him with practical experience and valuable contacts.

Location Flexibility: International law often involves working with governments, NGOs, multinational corporations, and international organizations. Being open to working in different geographical locations can increase his chances of finding suitable opportunities.

Further Education: Depending on his specific interests, pursuing further education such as a Ph.D. or specialized postgraduate courses might enhance his qualifications and marketability.

Adaptability and Multilingualism: International law often requires working with diverse cultures and languages. Proficiency in multiple languages and an ability to adapt to different legal systems can be advantageous.

Consult Career Advisors: Many universities and professional organizations offer career counseling services. Encourage your son to utilize these resources to explore different avenues and receive guidance on how to navigate the job market effectively.

Online Presence: Maintaining a professional online presence, such as a LinkedIn profile, can help showcase his skills and accomplishments to potential employers.

Persistence and Patience: The job search process can be challenging, especially in specialized fields. Encourage your son to remain persistent, patient, and open to different opportunities that might arise.

Remember that success in any career is a combination of individual effort, timing, and external factors. While the journey might be challenging, a career in international law can indeed be fulfilling and impactful. It's essential to support your son's aspirations while providing guidance and realistic expectations.

Regards,
Abhishek Shah

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Nov 22, 2023

My Son, in class 10th wanted to pursue his career in Law/Legal abroad after 10+2. With AI coming big way, I think Law/Legal will have huge impact. Please suggest if it has bright future or may be very challenging ? Also, help me understand what is the path available to pursue legal studies in countries like Canada, European Countries, Australia etc., Any best Universities you can recommend.
Ans: Hello Mahesh,

To begin with, thank you for contacting us. I am glad to hear about your son’s interest in pursuing a career in Law overseas after he completes his 12th grade. As an answer to your query, I would like to inform you that taking in account the changing landscape of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and its effects on a broad range of professions, including law, your son’s desire to practise law overseas seems encouraging. Remember, with the introduction of technology, major changes are being brought about in the legal arena. Artificial Intelligence (AI) may change some facets of the legal profession, but it also creates new opportunities in areas viz., data privacy, legal tech, and AI ethics in the legal system. It would therefore, seem that the future of law will be both difficult and fruitful, requiring flexibility as well as a fusion of legal knowledge with technical developments.

You would be glad to know that outstanding programs are offered by a number of countries to those aspiring to pursue law overseas. The University of British Columbia, University of Toronto, and McGill University in Canada are regarded for their law schools. Coming to European countries, the University of Cambridge, the London School of Economics (LSE), and Oxford University in the UK, as well as Leiden University in the Netherlands, are highly regarded. Law schools at Australian universities viz., Australian National University (ANU), the University of Melbourne, and the University of Sydney, are also renowned. As an answer to your query concerning the path available to pursue legal studies in these aforementioned countries, I would like to tell you that this path generally entails earning an undergraduate i.e. Bachelor’s degree, usually in any area of study, after which one needs to complete a legal degree i.e. Bachelor of Law (LLB) or Juris Doctor (JD), and then possibly undertake specialized programs or internships. In order that your son chooses the program that best resonates with his passion and objectives, I would recommend that he conducts an extensive study on particular program offerings, the competence of the faculty, as well as the curriculum’s primary emphasis.

Abhishek

Abhishek Shah  |76 Answers  |Ask -

HR Expert - Answered on Jan 07, 2024

Asked by Anonymous - Nov 25, 2023Hindi
Dear Team, I am in my 3rd year of integrated 5 years law course. I was pondering over the options to make a successful career in law. I understand, we have Lower Judiciary, upper judiciary, PSU, Banks and Advocacy with a selection grade to Judiciary. The issue: Options: 1) Judiciary: Lower Judiciary - Given the trend, the selection for upper Judiciary is quite negligible and take a considerable amount of years of your life. 2) Upper Judiciary: India does not have process of selection to Additional Session Judge (ADJ) without completing 7 years of Advocacy to be eligible for ADJ. nor any National level Judiciary exam for such selection after passing from law school. 3) PSU: A mundane process of work like a corporate and not sure, how challenging or exciting as a career option. Just a time scale career stability. 4) Banks: Apart from RBI, which has another level of selection process - meaning quite an extent of separate study from present law course and is a rated option, the other banks law officer is again mundane as in PSU's. 5) Advocacy is something which 1st generation lawyers might need a best of mentors to make to selection grade of Judiciary. 6) Indian Laws firms and Magic circle : May pl guide on the process of internship in magic circle law firms and is it a good to have internship outside of India or better to have in Indian Law Firms. Given the above, what’s the best career move and options as this is one of the profession, wherein name and fame comes later in life, however adding a right career path just adds catalyst, then having instability in your prime years of life. Regards NS.
Ans: If you are looking to make a career in India, please stick to India. Find out top 10 law firms and lawyers. Visit their website and office to meet with them and learn more about how they can mentor. Please check with them how best you could land a significant work experience with them in short span of time. The easiest way to do this would be to interview them and publish them on your blog and social space.

HR, Workspace Expert - Answered on Nov 30, 2023

Dear Sirs’, I am in my 3rd year of integrated 5 years law course. I was pondering over the options to make a successful career in law. I understand, we have Lower Judiciary, upper judiciary, PSU, Banks and Advocacy with a selection grade to Judiciary. The issue: Options: 1) Judiciary: Lower Judiciary - Given the trend, the selection for upper Judiciary is quite negligible and take a considerable amount of years of your life. 2) Upper Judiciary: India does not have process of selection to Additional Session Judge (ADJ) without completing 7 years of Advocacy to be eligible for ADJ. nor any National level Judiciary exam for such selection after passing from law school. 3) PSU: A mundane process of work like a corporate and not sure, how challenging or exciting as a career option. Just a time scale career stability. 4) Banks: Apart from RBI, which has another level of selection process - meaning quite an extent of separate study from present law course and is a rated option, the other banks law officer is again mundane as in PSU's. 5) Advocacy is something which 1st generation lawyers might need a best of mentors to make to selection grade of Judiciary. 6) Indian Laws firms and Magic circle : May pl guide on the process of internship in magic circle law firms and is it a good to have internship outside of India or better to have in Indian Law Firms. Given the above, what’s the best career move and options as this is one of the profession, wherein name and fame comes later in life, however adding a right career path just adds catalyst, then having instability in your prime years of life.
Ans: Dear N,
I am happy to see that you have a clarity of your career.
Since you have a clarity, pursue the same based on your gut feeling, plan and strategy. The career can be built in Judiciary, PSU and Banks as well as in private firms. The important point is to start with a professional setup in any one of the above as an intern, rest depends upon your hard work and luck.

Presently Im a class 12 commerce student and i want to join BCA for my degree next year but i dont know what are the careers after BCA.
Ans: Adella, first of all, shortlist top 5-10 colleges to get admission for your BCA.

Know the Eligibility Criteria / Admission Process / Entrance Exams (such as CUET & other Private Colleges' its own Entrance Exams) you will have to appear in.

There are multiple career options after BCA, but depends upon which specialization you will choose, which specilizations are available in the college you will join & which all skills you will upgrade. Some of the examples of specializations available for BCA are:

1) Software Development
2) Cyber Security
3) Data Analytics
4) Web Development
5) Mobile Application Development
6) Networking & System Administration
7) Cloud Computing
8) Digital Marketing
9) Multimedia & Animation
10) AI & ML
11) Full Stack Development & More.

After you get admission into BCA in any college:

1) Try to maintain a good academic performance.
2) Involve in co/extra-curricular activities.
3) Keep upgrading your skills, as recommended by your college faculties.
4) Start researching about the Recruiters/Companies visited your college for Campus Recruitment.
5) Have a Professional LinkedIn Profile.
6) Put Job Alerts related to your domain in LinkedIn.
7) Get notifications of job vacancies and go through the JD (Job Description) of each.
8) Know the Job Market Trends & keep analyzing how it changes till your 3rd year.
9) Connect with Professionals of your domain, get their advice/views/opinions for your Career Growth
10) At the end of your 3rd year, start applying for jobs through LinkedIn, matching your Profile and also prepare for your Campus Interview.

All the BEST for Your Bright Future.

To know more on ‘ Careers | Education | Jobs’, ask / Follow Us here in RediffGURUS.