Ashwini

Ashwini Dasgupta  |71 Answers  |Ask -

Personality Development Expert, Career Coach - Answered on Feb 08, 2024

Ashwini Dasgupta is a personality development coach and a neuro-linguistic programming trainer.
She has 15 years of experience training corporate professionals and has worked at Amazon, JP Morgan, Nomura and Satyam among others.
As a career coach, Ashwini specialises in helping growth-minded IT corporate managers develop their self-worth and create the right mindset so that they can achieve their career goals.
Besides corporate training, she offers personal consultations as well.
Ashwini holds a master’s degree in human resources from the Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai, and is a certified NLP trainer from the National Federation of NeuroLinguistic Programming, USA.
She has completed her soft skills training and image consultancy course from the Image Consulting Business Institute, Mumbai

Hi. I'm a Top Management Professional with the Experience of working as Business Head & CEO in my previous organizations. Have experience in multi Industries , predominantly in FMCG Sector. After leaving the job before Covid, got selected for a couple of opportunities abroad only to be cancelled due to grounded flights. After that Finding it slightly tougher to find those kind of jobs. Long lay off has resulted in poor financial condition too that I cannot start my own business. What do you suggest?

Ans: Hi Sir/ Madam,

Please consider few of the suggestions-

Networking and Industry events- Leverage your networking past and current. Attend workshops of the similar industry this will give insights of the market and trends.

Build your online presence and showcase your skills and experience. Actively engage in industry discussions and demonstrate your experiences and expertise in FMCG sector.

Take up consulting/ contract or a freelance work

Enhance your skills by taking up relevant courses, certifications

Reach out to executive search firms who can guide and help you in getting the job

Also, look for global platforms where you can connect with industry experts and one who cater to senior roles.

Financial planning- given the financial constrain you may want to reconsider and create a realistic plan.

Look for mentorship and guidance within the industry who can help you understand how the markets are trending and also they can help you navigate with their experiences.

Importantly have patience and be self motivated.

All the best

Thanks
Ashwini Dasgupta
Author of Confidence Decoded. Is it a skill or attitude?

Mayank Rautela  |238 Answers  |Ask -

HR Expert - Answered on Feb 24, 2021

Hello,I'm Swagato Ghose, 32, from Kolkata. During the pandemic and because of lockdown, I lost my job. I'm a marketing professional and worked for a print and packaging company based in Hyderabad.The situation is very difficult because, even after trying hard for the past two to three months, nothing positive is materialising.No organisations revert after the interview process and the salary offered during the interview time is negligible when compared to what I was getting before this lockdown happened.It's getting unbearable and I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown as the future seems absolutely uncertain.I'm badly looking for a decent opportunity, but there seems to be very little hope in these tough times as it looks like the recruitment has frozen in most of the good companies.I am really worried about the future and don't know how my professional career is going to shape up.How do I survive this phase?Thanks and regards,Swagato Ghose

Hey Swagato.

Hold on! Never give up as life is always full of ups and downs.

A job loss in the time of a global pandemic is not a result of your performance but due to the slowdown in the economy.

Things are now getting back to normal and most companies have started selective hiring.

This is the time to start reskilling in your area of work so that you have the right skill sets that companies are looking for in your field.

Keep yourself engaged with some freelance work or even charitable work.

Remain positive and healthy and close to your loved ones.

You have a bright future.

Ashwini

Ashwini Dasgupta  |71 Answers  |Ask -

Personality Development Expert, Career Coach - Answered on Jul 31, 2023

Hi, I lost my job in 2019. I decided to go the freelance way. When it was all just settling in, Covid19 hit. Things derailed after that. Now after a 4 years gap, I am very short on confidence. I am applying for jobs on indeed and linked in but at 43 and 4 years gap, I am not drawing any reaponse from any employer for any kind of a job. Prior to this I was working with a reputed company as a senior design manager drawing an annual salary of 21lacs. This company had asked me to resign after 11 years of service sighting cost cutting and restructuring. That too after using my services to sack many of my team members for same reason. Can I know what I can do differently to land a job. Junior positions are ok for me but companies find my CV too heavy for those and for senior positions, I am short on confidence. How can I come out of this?.
Ans: Hi Sir,

Thank you for writing in.

Few recommendations for your reference -

Update Your Resume: Customize your resume to highlight your relevant skills and experiences while addressing the employment gap. Focus on transferable skills and recent freelance work that showcases your abilities (if any). Tailor your application to each job posting to demonstrate your genuine interest and fit for the role.

Networking: Leverage your professional network to seek job opportunities. Reach out to former colleagues, friends, and acquaintances who might be aware of job openings or can provide referrals.

Online Presence: Ensure your LinkedIn profile is up-to-date and reflects your skills and experiences. Connect with people in your industry and participate in relevant groups and discussions.

Practice Interviews: Practice answering common interview questions to boost your confidence. Emphasize your accomplishments and the value you can bring to potential employers.

Continuous Learning: Stay updated with industry trends and technologies. Consider taking online courses or certifications to enhance your skills and demonstrate your commitment to learning. This will help you boost your confidence and enhance your skills.

Volunteer or Freelance Work: If possible, consider taking on volunteer work or freelance projects related to your field. This can help you build recent experience and fill the gap in your resume.

Be Positive and Persistent: Job searching can be challenging, but maintaining a positive attitude and staying persistent are key. Celebrate small victories and keep moving forward. This is very important.

Remember, setbacks are a part of life, and it's important to remain resilient and adaptable. Stay focused on your strengths and the value you can offer to employers. With determination and the right approach, you can overcome the challenges and find a job that suits your skills and experience. Good luck with your job search!

To Your Success. Be You. Be Confident.
Thanks and Regards
Ashwini Dasgupta
Author of Confidence Decoded. Is it a Skill or Attitude?

Chandu

Chandu Nair  |65 Answers  |Ask -

VC, Angel Investing, Entrepreneurship Expert - Answered on Feb 12, 2024

Dear Mr CHandu, I am 53 yrs now and an BE by qualification. I have been working in IT industry (14 yrs) and from 2007 have been working in IT Security profile as GM. In 2015 I left the job over an partnership offer which did not materialized but i lost the job. I started an start-up ecommerce company with a good concept which was liked and appreciated by the franchisees as even today they are running a grocery store which was setup by me, though my business shut down due to non funding and was cheated in the name of funding. After long gap I did join the company but lasted for just 8 months and now again am job less. I have a good start-up idea in healthcare which is workable and have been appreciated by people to whom i have brief though i M yet to launch due to funds issue, Though people are trying to find the funding after hearing the biz idea. My wife is working and have 2 kids in 12th and 10th Std respectively. Pls advice.
Ans: Dear Mr Dinesh,
It looks like you have been through a lot after getting into business on your own. Your children too are at a critical stage in life which requires funds for higher education in the next few years. The first question to ask yourself is - what is the priority in your life? Is it financial stability for the family esp for the kids? Or is it the pursuit of your business? The second question is - what is the current status of your household finances? Is there enough savings to manage the household, upcoming education expenses, other expenses (travel, medical etc)?
If you are shaky, it may be time for you to consider taking an assignment which offers you a fixed remuneration and also flexibility to work on your idea. You say you were in the field of IT security. Can you consider an assignment which might take 2-3 days per week managing and overseeing the IT security for a company which cannot afford a full-time professional?
You may also want to consider getting incubated in a good healthcare incubator in your city and also apply for a start-up funding grant from the government of India and/or local state government programmes.