Ashwini

Ashwini Dasgupta  |47 Answers  |Ask -

Personality Development Expert, Career Coach - Answered on Jul 31, 2023

Ashwini Dasgupta is a personality development coach and a neuro-linguistic programming trainer.
She has 15 years of experience training corporate professionals and has worked at Amazon, JP Morgan, Nomura and Satyam among others.
As a career coach, Ashwini specialises in helping growth-minded IT corporate managers develop their self-worth and create the right mindset so that they can achieve their career goals.
Besides corporate training, she offers personal consultations as well.
Ashwini holds a master’s degree in human resources from the Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai, and is a certified NLP trainer from the National Federation of NeuroLinguistic Programming, USA.
She has completed her soft skills training and image consultancy course from the Image Consulting Business Institute, Mumbai
Asked by Anonymous - Jul 10, 2023Translate

Hi, I lost my job in 2019. I decided to go the freelance way. When it was all just settling in, Covid19 hit. Things derailed after that. Now after a 4 years gap, I am very short on confidence. I am applying for jobs on indeed and linked in but at 43 and 4 years gap, I am not drawing any reaponse from any employer for any kind of a job. Prior to this I was working with a reputed company as a senior design manager drawing an annual salary of 21lacs. This company had asked me to resign after 11 years of service sighting cost cutting and restructuring. That too after using my services to sack many of my team members for same reason. Can I know what I can do differently to land a job. Junior positions are ok for me but companies find my CV too heavy for those and for senior positions, I am short on confidence. How can I come out of this?.

Ans: Hi Sir,

Thank you for writing in.

Few recommendations for your reference -

Update Your Resume: Customize your resume to highlight your relevant skills and experiences while addressing the employment gap. Focus on transferable skills and recent freelance work that showcases your abilities (if any). Tailor your application to each job posting to demonstrate your genuine interest and fit for the role.

Networking: Leverage your professional network to seek job opportunities. Reach out to former colleagues, friends, and acquaintances who might be aware of job openings or can provide referrals.

Online Presence: Ensure your LinkedIn profile is up-to-date and reflects your skills and experiences. Connect with people in your industry and participate in relevant groups and discussions.

Practice Interviews: Practice answering common interview questions to boost your confidence. Emphasize your accomplishments and the value you can bring to potential employers.

Continuous Learning: Stay updated with industry trends and technologies. Consider taking online courses or certifications to enhance your skills and demonstrate your commitment to learning. This will help you boost your confidence and enhance your skills.

Volunteer or Freelance Work: If possible, consider taking on volunteer work or freelance projects related to your field. This can help you build recent experience and fill the gap in your resume.

Be Positive and Persistent: Job searching can be challenging, but maintaining a positive attitude and staying persistent are key. Celebrate small victories and keep moving forward. This is very important.

Remember, setbacks are a part of life, and it's important to remain resilient and adaptable. Stay focused on your strengths and the value you can offer to employers. With determination and the right approach, you can overcome the challenges and find a job that suits your skills and experience. Good luck with your job search!

To Your Success. Be You. Be Confident.
Thanks and Regards
Ashwini Dasgupta
Author of Confidence Decoded. Is it a Skill or Attitude?

Mayank Rautela  |235 Answers  |Ask -

HR Expert - Answered on Feb 24, 2021

Hello,I'm Swagato Ghose, 32, from Kolkata. During the pandemic and because of lockdown, I lost my job. I'm a marketing professional and worked for a print and packaging company based in Hyderabad.The situation is very difficult because, even after trying hard for the past two to three months, nothing positive is materialising.No organisations revert after the interview process and the salary offered during the interview time is negligible when compared to what I was getting before this lockdown happened.It's getting unbearable and I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown as the future seems absolutely uncertain.I'm badly looking for a decent opportunity, but there seems to be very little hope in these tough times as it looks like the recruitment has frozen in most of the good companies.I am really worried about the future and don't know how my professional career is going to shape up.How do I survive this phase?Thanks and regards,Swagato Ghose

Hey Swagato.

Hold on! Never give up as life is always full of ups and downs.

A job loss in the time of a global pandemic is not a result of your performance but due to the slowdown in the economy.

Things are now getting back to normal and most companies have started selective hiring.

This is the time to start reskilling in your area of work so that you have the right skill sets that companies are looking for in your field.

Keep yourself engaged with some freelance work or even charitable work.

Remain positive and healthy and close to your loved ones.

You have a bright future.

Abhishek

Abhishek Shah  |76 Answers  |Ask -

HR Expert - Answered on Apr 20, 2023

Hello, I am 48 and working since 1996. Have worked with Airtel for 11 plus years and also earlier with Hutch and TTSL....majorly into telecom in my total work exp, rose to a DGM level in 2010 at Airtel with a v good CTC but had to leave them in 2017 as Jio the market disruptor had entered and no suitable role was left for me. Am an MBA in marketing and having solid work exp but somehow have not managed to land up a proper job till now ....the pandemic and the lockdown did not help at all !!! Kindly guide me and advice on how can I reboot my career. Thanks a ton, Ani
Ans: Hello Ani,

Based on your experience and education, you have a strong background in the telecom industry. However, I understand that you are facing challenges in rebooting your career.

To start, I suggest updating your resume and LinkedIn profile to showcase your skills and accomplishments in the telecom industry. Highlight your experience in leadership, marketing, and any notable achievements during your tenure with Airtel, Hutch, and TTSL.

Next, consider reaching out to your professional network and former colleagues to explore potential job opportunities in the telecom industry. This could involve attending industry events, participating in online forums and discussion groups, and reaching out to recruiters who specialize in your field.

In addition, you may want to consider expanding your skills and knowledge by taking online courses, attending workshops, or pursuing additional certifications. This can help you stay up-to-date with the latest trends and technologies in the telecom industry and make you a more competitive candidate for job opportunities.

Lastly, it's important to remain optimistic and persistent in your job search. The pandemic has impacted many industries, but the telecom industry remains a vital part of our modern economy. With your experience and education, you have valuable skills to offer potential employers. Keep networking, building your skills, and staying up-to-date with industry trends, and I'm confident you will find a suitable role that meets your expectations.

Regards,
Abhishek
Ashwini

Ashwini Dasgupta  |47 Answers  |Ask -

Personality Development Expert, Career Coach - Answered on Feb 08, 2024

Asked by Anonymous - Jul 20, 2023Translate
Hi. I'm a Top Management Professional with the Experience of working as Business Head & CEO in my previous organizations. Have experience in multi Industries , predominantly in FMCG Sector. After leaving the job before Covid, got selected for a couple of opportunities abroad only to be cancelled due to grounded flights. After that Finding it slightly tougher to find those kind of jobs. Long lay off has resulted in poor financial condition too that I cannot start my own business. What do you suggest?
Ans: Hi Sir/ Madam,

Please consider few of the suggestions-

Networking and Industry events- Leverage your networking past and current. Attend workshops of the similar industry this will give insights of the market and trends.

Build your online presence and showcase your skills and experience. Actively engage in industry discussions and demonstrate your experiences and expertise in FMCG sector.

Take up consulting/ contract or a freelance work

Enhance your skills by taking up relevant courses, certifications

Reach out to executive search firms who can guide and help you in getting the job

Also, look for global platforms where you can connect with industry experts and one who cater to senior roles.

Financial planning- given the financial constrain you may want to reconsider and create a realistic plan.

Look for mentorship and guidance within the industry who can help you understand how the markets are trending and also they can help you navigate with their experiences.

Importantly have patience and be self motivated.

All the best

Thanks
Ashwini Dasgupta
Author of Confidence Decoded. Is it a skill or attitude?

I will be retiring in October 2024 and expecting a retirement corpus of Rs 80 lakh. I would be spending 60 per cent of this amount on my son’s medical admission and studies. How should I invest the rest in different sectors to earn monthly income of nearly about 40,000?
Ans: Given your retirement corpus of Rs 80 lakh and your plan to allocate 60% of it towards your son's medical admission and studies, which amounts to Rs 48 lakh, you'll have Rs 32 lakh remaining for investment. To generate a monthly income of approximately Rs 40,000, you'll need to carefully plan your investment strategy. Here's a suggested approach:

1. Assess Your Risk Tolerance: Before investing, consider your risk tolerance, investment horizon, and financial goals. Since you're retiring soon and seeking a regular monthly income, it's advisable to focus on relatively stable and income-generating investment options.

2. Allocate Funds: With Rs 32 lakh available for investment, you can allocate the amount across different investment instruments to achieve diversification and manage risk.

3 Income-Generating Investments: To generate a monthly income of Rs 40,000, you'll need investments that offer regular payouts. Here are some options to consider:

a. Senior Citizen Savings Scheme (SCSS): This government-backed savings scheme offers quarterly interest payouts. You can invest up to Rs 15 lakh individually and earn regular income at a fixed interest rate, currently around 7.4% per annum.

b. Post Office Monthly Income Scheme (POMIS): Another government-backed scheme that provides monthly income. The maximum investment limit is Rs 4.5 lakh for an individual account and Rs 9 lakh for a joint account. The current interest rate is around 6.6% per annum.

c. Fixed Deposits (FDs): Consider investing a portion of your corpus in fixed deposits offered by banks or financial institutions. Opt for monthly interest payout FDs to generate regular income.

d. Debt Mutual Funds: Invest a portion in debt mutual funds that focus on generating steady income with relatively lower risk compared to equity funds. Choose funds with a track record of consistent returns and low expense ratios.

4. Systematic Withdrawal Plan (SWP): For investments in mutual funds or other growth-oriented instruments, consider setting up a systematic withdrawal plan. SWP allows you to withdraw a fixed amount regularly, which can serve as your monthly income.

5. Emergency Fund: Set aside a portion of your corpus as an emergency fund to cover unexpected expenses or contingencies. This fund should be easily accessible and parked in liquid or low-risk instruments like savings accounts or liquid funds.

6. Review and Adjust: Regularly review your investment portfolio to ensure it remains aligned with your financial goals and income requirements. Adjust your asset allocation and investment strategy as needed based on changing market conditions and personal circumstances.

It's crucial to consult with a financial advisor or planner who can provide personalised advice based on your specific situation and goals. They can help you create a comprehensive retirement plan and investment strategy tailored to your needs, risk tolerance, and income requirements. Additionally, consider tax implications on your investment income and consult with a tax advisor to optimise your tax efficiency.