Seep

Seep Pahuja  | Answer  |Ask -

NEET-UG Expert - Answered on Mar 03, 2023

Seep Pahuja is a biology expert and faculty at Unacademy, an online learning platform. A GATE-qualified teacher, Pahuja has approximately 10 years of teaching experience including online coaching for the medical entrance examination and for Classes 11 and 12. She is a gold medallist with a master's degree in science from Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar, and has a bachelor of education degree from Maharshi Dayanand University.... more
Subhashis Question by Subhashis on Feb 26, 2023Translate

Hello, my daughter appearing for Maharashtra Board HS 2023, wants to pursue career in Biotechnology(B.Sc.) from top notch colleges in India and there after for post grad., from top notch colleges abroad. Thinking about pursuing in Marine Biology. Please guide.

Ans: B.Sc. Biotechnology opens doors to multiple avenues in the field of research, agriculture, environmental conservation, healthcare, and medicine. Right now, her focus should be to appear for CUET-UG and crack the exam with good marks to get admission to one of the Central Universities in India and premium universities abroad like Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA, Harvard University, USA, Standford University, USA. Later, for her Masters, she can specialise in becoming a Marine Biotechnologist. Marine Biotechnology research is one of the emerging specializations that has applications in several areas, mainly focusing on developing drugs from marine organisms. She can also explore a larger field like Molecular Biology which includes research based on overall marine organisms (from microscopic bacteria, plants, and animals to marine mammals) to detect their exposure to pollutants, diseases, and the source of contaminants affecting them.

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Jan 08, 2024

My daughter is in third year of B.Sc.. Biotech from kelkar college Mulund. I would like to know what could be her post graduation options within India and abroad. Also if you could guide on how can she can prepare now (other than good grades) to start good career after her studies?
Ans: Hello Mahendra,

First and foremost, thank you for getting in touch with us. I am happy to know that your daughter is currently pursuing the 3rd year of her Bachelor’s of Science in Biotechnology and thereafter wishes to pursue her postgraduate studies. Concerning your question as to what could be her PG options within India and abroad, I would like to let you know that we only deal with overseas education. You would be glad to hear that there exist a plethora of choices for a graduate in B.Sc. Biotech wishing to pursue post-graduation overseas. Nations viz., the United Kingdom, Germany, the United States, Australia, or Canada, are regarded for their robust biotech industries, and your daughter could look into the postgraduate programs offered in the fields of Bioengineering, Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, or other associated areas of study in these countries. I would also recommend that she conducts an all-round study on universities well-known for the programs they offer in her preferred field of study, as well as investigates their prerequisites for admission, viz., English competency tests like the IELTS or TOEFL, or standardized tests like the GRE. As an answer to your query on how she can prepare now (other than good grades) to embark on a good career post her studies, I would like to say that your daughter, alongside maintaining strong grades, can engage in internship opportunities or take up jobs of a research assistant to acquire pertinent research experience, actively participate in extracurricular activities associated with her field of interest, craft a compelling SOP that outlines her educational objectives and ambitions, as well as build meaningful connections with academics or industry experts to boost her profile. Her opportunities for a successful job after graduation can be enhanced by staying abreast with developments in the field of biotechnology through online classes, seminars, and conferences.

What are balanced advantage funds and would you recommend how I should go about investing in such funds?
Ans: Balanced Advantage Funds are a type of mutual fund that dynamically manages the allocation between equity and debt instruments based on market conditions. These funds aim to provide investors with a balance between growth (through equity exposure) and stability (through debt exposure). The allocation between equity and debt is adjusted by fund managers based on various factors such as market valuations, interest rates, and economic indicators.

Here's a breakdown of the key features and considerations for investing in Balanced Advantage Funds:

1. Dynamic Asset Allocation: These funds have the flexibility to shift allocation between equity and debt depending on market conditions. When equity markets are expensive or overvalued, the fund manager may reduce equity exposure and increase allocation to debt instruments, and vice versa.

2. Risk Management: Balanced Advantage Funds tend to offer lower volatility compared to pure equity funds due to their ability to switch between asset classes based on market conditions. This can potentially reduce downside risk during market downturns.

3. Goal-based Investing: They can be suitable for investors with medium to long-term investment horizons who seek a balance between capital appreciation and capital preservation. These funds are often used for goals like retirement planning or wealth creation with a moderate risk profile.

4. Professional Management: Investors benefit from the expertise of professional fund managers who actively manage the asset allocation and investment decisions based on thorough research and analysis.

5. Tax Implications: From a taxation perspective, gains from equity investments held for more than one year are taxed at a lower rate (long-term capital gains tax), whereas gains from debt investments held for more than three years are taxed as per the investor's income tax slab. Balanced Advantage Funds may offer tax efficiency due to their equity exposure.

6. Expense Ratio: Investors should consider the expense ratio of the fund, which represents the annual fees charged by the fund house for managing the fund. Lower expense ratios can enhance returns over the long term.

As for whether you should invest in Balanced Advantage Funds, it depends on your investment objectives, risk tolerance, and financial goals.

If you're seeking a balanced approach with the potential for higher returns than pure debt funds but with lower volatility compared to pure equity funds, then these funds could be suitable for you. However, it's essential to consult with a financial advisor who can assess your individual circumstances and recommend the most appropriate investment strategy.

If you decide to invest in Balanced Advantage Funds, you can do so through various platforms such as mutual fund distributors, online investment platforms, or directly through the fund house's website. Here's a general guide on how to invest:

1. Research: Understand the different Balanced Advantage Funds available in the market, their investment objectives, performance track record, and expense ratios.

2. Select a Fund: Choose a fund that aligns with your investment goals, risk tolerance, and time horizon.

3. KYC Compliance: Complete the Know Your Customer (KYC) process as required by regulatory guidelines. This typically involves providing identity and address proof documents.

4. Investment Process: Decide on the mode of investment, whether lump sum or systematic investment plan (SIP), based on your convenience and investment strategy.

5. Online Platform or Distributor: If investing through an online platform, create an account and follow the instructions to invest in your chosen Balanced Advantage Fund. If using a mutual fund distributor, approach them with your investment decision, and they will assist you with the investment process.

6. Monitor and Review: Keep track of your investments periodically and review your portfolio to ensure it remains aligned with your financial goals.

Remember that all investments carry some level of risk, including the potential loss of capital. Diversification and a long-term investment approach are generally recommended to mitigate risk and achieve your financial objectives.

Good Morning, We are married for almost 27 years and at various stages of my wife like, beginning days when Girls had dream of her happy married life beginning, honeymoon, pregnancy, fostering the child, mid-age crisis and now Menopause I have been very unfair & sometime very cruel to my wife. I am tryint to please her in my possible ways but whenever I am planning something exciting & pleasurable for her it turn out to be flop show & nightmare. I want her to be happy but don't know why it gets spoiled due to one or other reason. Despite of all this she is always giving me chance and prepare herself for new beginning. But now I fear & feel gradually I will become a big liability on her, health wise as I am diabetic and even after taking high dose of medicines it doesn't get controlled. I am worried that though the beginning was not good our end should be Peaceful & graceful. Need your guidance
No point revisiting what has already happened. It seems like your wife wants a new beginning; then why not actually plan on how you want your life together to be from now on? What are the things that you have missed out on earlier, bring it all back and slowly start experiencing what life could be living in that harmony...
As for diabetes, getting the right medicine and taking it in the right dosage is important to see a change. Also, exercise, attempt to keep stress levels low and eat right...these help in keeping your blood sugar levels low...
Don't talk about the END when there is a NEW beginning in sight...