Mayank Rautela  |238 Answers  |Ask -

HR Expert - Answered on May 14, 2023

Mayank Rautela is the group chief human resources officer at Care Hospitals.

Hello, I am a 57 years old general manager in a private organization who moved in to human resources management 20 years ago after acquiring a management degree. Things were going on fine for me until Covid. After Covid, my responsibilities as HR professional have reduced drastically and hence I have been working part time for the last two years. Its late for any company to hire me as a HR head now although I am fit to work. I was also a hobby magician and semi professional mentalist for the last 25 years. So far I performed for good cause and charity. Covid gave me a chance to master my mentalism and magic skills and I am able to perform for living. The problem is I am unable to reach corporates to get hired as a mentalist and I don't know how to approach them.

Ans: You must market your profile on social media and highlight the role of a mentalist. Update your CV and share with HR heads of various companies. Conduct some complimentary sessions to generate awareness about your niche skills

Ashwini

Ashwini Dasgupta  |70 Answers  |Ask -

Personality Development Expert, Career Coach - Answered on Feb 08, 2024

Hi. I'm a Top Management Professional with the Experience of working as Business Head & CEO in my previous organizations. Have experience in multi Industries , predominantly in FMCG Sector. After leaving the job before Covid, got selected for a couple of opportunities abroad only to be cancelled due to grounded flights. After that Finding it slightly tougher to find those kind of jobs. Long lay off has resulted in poor financial condition too that I cannot start my own business. What do you suggest?
Ans: Hi Sir/ Madam,

Please consider few of the suggestions-

Networking and Industry events- Leverage your networking past and current. Attend workshops of the similar industry this will give insights of the market and trends.

Build your online presence and showcase your skills and experience. Actively engage in industry discussions and demonstrate your experiences and expertise in FMCG sector.

Take up consulting/ contract or a freelance work

Enhance your skills by taking up relevant courses, certifications

Reach out to executive search firms who can guide and help you in getting the job

Also, look for global platforms where you can connect with industry experts and one who cater to senior roles.

Financial planning- given the financial constrain you may want to reconsider and create a realistic plan.

Look for mentorship and guidance within the industry who can help you understand how the markets are trending and also they can help you navigate with their experiences.

Importantly have patience and be self motivated.

All the best

Thanks
Ashwini Dasgupta
Author of Confidence Decoded. Is it a skill or attitude?

Hi My son is in class 12th CBSE. Would be looking for admission in overseas universities for next year admissions. He has taken Physics, Chemistry and Biology as his main subjects. Can you guide me which subjects he can choose for his undergraduate course or which course should he choose for a better career. Also, kindly guide me which countries would be better for him.
Ans: Saumyaa Madam, please let me know, your son is interested in which subject / stream / course? His academic performance in 10th / 12th? If possible, please arrange for him to attempt a 'Psychometric Test' (available online) for Rs.1000-2000 approx. Test Report provides information about his level of Aptitude, Attitude, Interest, Personality Traits & his orientation Style. You will get a basic idea. After going through this process, please come back and ask with your feedback to recommend the right country / course etc. All the BEST for your Son's Bright Future. To know more on ‘ Careers | Education | Jobs | Resume Writing | Profile Building | Salary Negotiation Skills | Building Professional LinkedIn Profile | Choosing Right School Board (State | Matriculation | CBSE | ICSE |International Board) | Student Psychological Counselling | Exam Preparation Techniques (Board | Entrance & Competitive)| Job Interview Skills | Skill Upgrading | Parenting & Child Upbringing Skills | Career Transition | Abroad Education | Education Loan (India | Abroad) | Scholarship (India | Abroad)’, please FOLLOW me in RediffGURU here.

Nayagam PP |
EduJob360 |
CERTIFIED Career Coach
https://www.linkedin.com/in/edujob360/

I purchased an NSC in 2018 and paid tax every year for the interest on accrual basis. But it seems from last year, post offices are providing data to AIS on receipt basis, that is, whole amount of interest on maturity. What happens to the money I paid as taxes in previous years on the same basis? How do I adjust them? Please help as many people I now face this issue.
Ans: You're right! The tax treatment of NSC interest can be confusing. Here's what you need to know:

Good news: The taxes you've paid on the accrued interest in previous years are valid. You don't need to adjust them.

Why?

The Income Tax department in India treats interest earned on NSCs on an accrual basis, even though the interest is paid out at maturity. This means you were correct to pay taxes on the accrued interest every year.

What about the data mismatch with AIS?

The post office might now be reporting the entire interest on maturity to the Annual Information Statement (AIS). This can create a discrepancy.

How to handle it?

• You don't need to file any corrections for previous years.
• When filing your current year's return, consider the following:

1. If you consistently claimed the accrued interest as income in previous years, only report the interest for the final year (maturity year) in your current return. This avoids double taxation.
2. You can file feedback in the AIS portal mentioning that the interest for the previous years was already offered for tax purposes. This helps in clarifying the situation.

Additional tips:

• It's advisable to maintain records of your previous tax returns where you declared the accrued interest.
• If you have any concerns, consult a tax advisor for personalized guidance specific to your situation.

This is a common issue faced by many NSC holders. By following these steps, you can ensure your tax filing remains accurate.

Sir, We've observed that you tend to recommend institutions like VIT, which have a non-transparent category system (where you 'buy' your way up over other deserving students) over Manipal CSE at both the main campus and the Bangalore campus. You also seem to favor institutions such as RV (I am from RV and a Bangalorean for over 40 years) and BMS, which are no doubt good , but ranked lower than Main Manipal in their placements. Is there a particular reason for this bias against Manipal in your recommendations? Manipal Sikkim, we can understand. Please note, I do not have any family connections to Manipal nor We have anyone studying there. We are exploring fallback options including Manipal for our son in case he doesn't get his desired branch at BITS Pilani or NITs. If a reason as to why 'No Manipal' it'll be helpful for all. Thank you for your guidance.
Ans: Thanks for your feedback. Regarding Manipal, it is one of the top-ranked universities with good placements. I had clearly mentioned it is not suitable, only for SOME (not all) students due to some reasons and the feedback I got some from Manipal students on 'Non-Academic / Psychological' Factors. Psychological factors also play an important role for careers. There are students who are academically strong, but psychologically might be average or below. Regarding VIT, most of the parents'/candidates' questions do not specifically refer about the Category they got. If they clearly mention about the category, I reply accordingly that, to go for VIT only if they can afford the fees. I hope I have clarified your clarified your doubt. Thanks once again for your feedback and for reading my answers. All the BEST for Your Son's Bright Future.

Hello sir.. my son secured 96.07pecentile in JEE mains with a rank around 60k.. basis this he applied and now has a few offers from pvt colleges.. Just to add he has basic knowledge about AI/Python from his school, while he has also registered himself for IITM BS degree online course (this course he plans to keep doing with regular engg). I will be grateful for your guidance on below four pointers... 1. Will it be too much stress to carry on with the online (NPTEL) BS-degree course of IITM with regular full-time BTech? 2. He is getting Elec n Instru at Nirma in round 1.. how would you prefer this EIE branch, from future perspective or is too low placed compared to ECE at same univ. And also critical cons about Nirma UG courses! 3. He has offer for CSE (in round 1) from - JKLU, Jaipur; KJ Somaiya (KJSCE); Symbiosis (SIT); Mahindra Ecole. 4. Thapar, Patiala has offered Robotics in round-1, while we are awaiting results from Jaypee, Sastra and YMCA, Faridabad Please help decide for the best college considering ROI (I mean 25L at some colleges where CSE batch is 1400+) and his future career path. A faster response will help us decide soon, since I have blocked too much money also for the admission offers, which might become a tedious task at refund time! Thanks! Amit
Ans: Amit Sir, Please note (1) Regarding his online Course with NPTEL-IITM, it depends upon how he manages / utilizes his time after joining his BTech. If he manages his time well for both, he can. (2) Better to prefer ECE over E & I (3) Order of Preference: Sastra (Tanjore) | Jaypee | Symbiosis (Hope, out of these 3, you can finalize one) (4) ROI: Rate of Return depends only only upon the College your joins Sir, but also your son's self-motivation, dedication, his academic performance with co-curricular activities in College, Upgrading his skills in 4-years, having professional Linkedin Pofile & his preparation for Campus Interview. Sir, I hope I have clarified all your doubts. Any further clarification, you can raise here. All The Best for Your Son's Bright Future. To know more on ‘ Careers | Education | Jobs | Resume Writing | Profile Building | Salary Negotiation Skills | Building Professional LinkedIn Profile | Choosing Right School Board (State | Matriculation | CBSE | ICSE |International Board) | Student Psychological Counselling | Exam Preparation Techniques (Board | Entrance & Competitive)| Job Interview Skills | Skill Upgrading | Parenting & Child Upbringing Skills | Career Transition | Abroad Education | Education Loan (India | Abroad) | Scholarship (India | Abroad)’, please FOLLOW me in RediffGURU here.

Nayagam PP |
EduJob360 |
CERTIFIED Career Coach
https://www.linkedin.com/in/edujob360/

Hi Anu, I'm married since 5 years now and having loving In-Laws who are financially very well to do. My husband and I earn very less as compared to my in-laws, with whom we stay. My husband is 37 years old and earns 47000 INR a month, out of which he saves 35000 INR (in-laws have told him not to spend on house expense, but instead save). The rest 12000 INR he has for himself. I am also working and all my earning is with me. The problem is that he usually ends up spending almost all of the 12K. This angers me as I feel he should focus on saving as much as possible from that. We have an understanding among us that the expense for enjoyment will be borne by me as his major chunk is being saved for "Our" future. Am I wrong to be upset with his spending?
Are you wrong to be upset?
NO and YES...
NO; as you feel wronged that you are the one spending on enjoyment, so where does he spend 12K?
YES; as you have not conveyed it to him or the two of you have not spoken about it earlier. Have you discussed that he must save the 12K?
So, the key to any solid marriage is COMMUNICATION...Communicating your needs, wants, desires, values and aligning them to make the marriage work looking at the larger picture.

Simply have a frank conversation. For all you know, he may just understand where you are coming from; BUT if he wants to spend SOME OF his hard earned money on himself his way, kindly let it be. It's the pride of a man to be able to earn and spend without asking for anyone's permission. Do respect that...