Nayagam is a certified career counsellor and the founder of EduJob360.
He started his career as an HR professional and has over 10 years of experience in tutoring and mentoring students from Classes 8 to 12, helping them choose the right stream, course and college/university.
He also counsels students on how to prepare for entrance exams for getting admission into reputed universities /colleges for their graduate/postgraduate courses.
He has guided both fresh graduates and experienced professionals on how to write a resume, how to prepare for job interviews and how to negotiate their salary when joining a new job.
Nayagam has published an eBook, Professional Resume Writing Without Googling.
He has a postgraduate degree in human resources from Bhartiya Vidya Bhavan, Delhi, a postgraduate diploma in labour law from Madras University, a postgraduate diploma in school counselling from Symbiosis, Pune, and a certification in child psychology from Counsel India.
He has also completed his master’s degree in career counselling from ICCC-Mindler and Counsel, India.
AYUSH Question by AYUSH on Jun 21, 2024Hindi

Good evening sir. Sir I have secured 18318 OBC rank in Jee main with 96 percentile , CRL 61051 In 1st round I am getting Shri mata vaishno devi university In Jammu with CSE I want your suggestion that Metallurgy in NITs of 2nd tier is better than This option which I am getting today or not. In my rank I get ECE in some IIITs and Metallurgy in 2nd tier NITs . In further rounds I have to study IIT madras BS course in DATA science also. And want to clear GATE exam in computer science What is your suggestion sir. Please tell me I am also waiting for CUET result . If I get BHU with BSc in computers science then I can opt that also

Ans: Ayush, As you have the plan for GATE in Computer Science also, it is suggested for go for CSE with SMVDU (or) BSc in Computer Science with BHU. Out of these 2-Universitieis, prefer BHU over SMVDU. Have others just as back-ups only, but not preferable. Whenever you get time now (till you join any college), start RESEARCHING about the GATE Exam / Syllabus / Exam Pattern / To Join Any Coaching Center online or to self-study / Minimum Score Required to Target Top Universities-Institutes-Colleges / Combination Papers You Can Appear in / Any Scholarship Available etc. Take time to do this ground work which will BOOST your Confidence to start preparing for GATE Exam. All The BEST Ayush.

To know more on ‘ Careers | Education | Jobs’, please Ask / Follow me in RediffGURU here.

Hi, I am 40 years old, stay with wife , no kids. My monthly take home salary is 1,00,000. I have yearly contributions towards Tax saver mutual funds of 1,20,000. PPF of 30,000 and NPS of 50,000. Investment towards non tax saver mutual funds of 36,000 for last 3 years. 23,000 is my rent and 50,000 is my monthly family expense. I have a house in my native where my mother stay with approx valuation of 50L. Wife has a plot in her native which is priced 1Cr as of today. Please suggest what should be my retirement corpus and how to achieve the same.
Ans: You have a monthly take-home salary of Rs. 1,00,000. Your annual investments are:

Tax Saver Mutual Funds: Rs. 1,20,000
PPF: Rs. 30,000
NPS: Rs. 50,000
Non-Tax Saver Mutual Funds: Rs. 36,000
Your monthly expenses are:

Rent: Rs. 23,000
Family Expenses: Rs. 50,000
Evaluating Existing Investments
Your current investments in tax saver and non-tax saver mutual funds, PPF, and NPS are good. These will help build your retirement corpus over time.

Estimating Retirement Corpus
Assume you plan to retire at 60 and live till 85. You need a retirement corpus to cover 25 years. Considering inflation and current expenses, your retirement corpus should be substantial.

Steps to Achieve Retirement Corpus
Increase Monthly Savings: You have Rs. 27,000 left after expenses. Allocate this to your retirement savings.

Diversify Investments: Continue investing in mutual funds and NPS. Consider increasing your SIP amounts gradually.

Review and Adjust Investments: Regularly review your portfolio. Adjust based on market conditions and financial goals.

Consider Health Insurance: Ensure you have adequate health insurance. This protects your savings from medical emergencies.

Emergency Fund: Maintain an emergency fund. This should cover 6-12 months of expenses.

Property Valuation
Your house and wife's plot are significant assets. Though not recommended for real estate investment, they provide financial security.

You are on the right track with diversified investments. Increase your savings, review regularly, and ensure you are covered for emergencies. This will help you achieve a secure retirement.

Hello. I have started investing. I have invested 80k through an agent lumpsum. But now I want to start an sip by myself as well as buy an sgb. I have decided Nippon small cap as a fund for 10k and I have decided another fund motilal oswal midcap fund for 10k. Every month if I have anything left extra maybe 2-3k i will invest in other funds like index funds. I chose only small and mid cap because I am just 24 years old and I don't really have many expenses, long term investment horizon and decided 20k after keeping aside 10k for myself. I am also going to buy an sgb on zerodha coin and leave it for 8 years. I am goin to get 2.4 lakhs from my chut fund. I am not sure how much to invest in sgb and what to do with remaining. I have 1.5 in my fd. I started sip in et money app. I set it up and it's goin to start from July 1st 2024. Please help me with if the funds I chose are good for me and how do I split the 2.5 l and also please suggest if zerodha for sgb and et money for sip are good. I also wanted one for swp but i don't know much about that and where to start that. Do you suggest and swp fund for me for nor or just stick to my plan? Please help me . Thank you so much.
Ans: Review of Current Investments

You have started with a lumpsum investment of Rs 80,000 through an agent. Additionally, you plan to invest Rs 20,000 per month in SIPs, focusing on small and mid-cap funds.

Your choice of small and mid-cap funds aligns well with your long-term horizon and risk appetite at 24 years old.

Investment Platforms: Evaluation

ET Money for SIP:

Pros:

Easy to use and set up SIPs.

Convenient for managing multiple investments.

Cons:

Lacks personalized advice from Certified Financial Planners.

Limited support for complex financial planning.

Zerodha for SGB:

Pros:

Simple and cost-effective for buying SGBs.

Good for long-term holding.

Cons:

May not provide personalized investment advice.

Limited customer support for investment queries.

Advantages of Investing through an MFD

Personalized Advice: Tailored to your financial goals and risk profile.

Regular Monitoring: Helps in adjusting investments based on market conditions.

Comprehensive Planning: MFDs offer a holistic approach, including tax planning and retirement planning.

Disadvantages of Digital Platforms

Lack of Personal Touch: Limited personalized advice and support.

Complex Needs: May not cater to complex financial planning needs.

Utilizing Your Chit Fund Proceeds

You will receive Rs 2.4 lakhs from your chit fund. Here’s how you can allocate it:

SGB Investment: Consider investing Rs 1 lakh in SGB for long-term stability and returns.

Diversified Mutual Funds: Invest Rs 1.4 lakhs in diversified mutual funds through an MFD to balance risk and growth.

An SWP can provide regular income from your mutual fund investments. It is more suitable once you have built a substantial corpus. For now, focus on growing your investments.

Your investment choices reflect a good start. Consider engaging with an MFD for personalized advice and comprehensive planning.

Is it worth considering a real estate investment at Panvel, Navi Mumbai? Or is it better to invest that capital in other growth instruments like MFs? I already have 2 houses, with zero debt, and I'm considering investing in Navi Mumbai, as I'm hearing that it'll grow as a corridor. Please advise.
Ans: Real Estate in Panvel, Navi Mumbai
Panvel is indeed growing.

The area shows promise as a future corridor.

You already own two houses.

You have zero debt, which is commendable.

Considerations for Real Estate Investment
Real estate investments can be illiquid.

Selling property takes time and effort.

Property values can fluctuate and may not always guarantee high returns.

Benefits of Mutual Funds
Mutual funds offer higher liquidity.

You can redeem investments easily.

They provide potential for high returns.

Actively Managed Funds
Actively managed funds are preferred.

Fund managers work to maximize returns.

They can adapt to market changes effectively.

Mutual funds allow for better diversification.

You can spread your risk across sectors.

This can lead to more stable returns.

Professional Management
Mutual funds are managed by experts.

Certified Financial Planners can guide you.

Regular reviews and adjustments are possible.

Investing in mutual funds is more flexible.

They offer better liquidity and potential returns.

Consider mutual funds over another property.

If anyone want to investment planning. Please let me know like lumpsum benefits and guaranteed income I will tell you briefly
Ans: Lumpsum Investment: Benefits and Considerations

Benefits:

Potential for Higher Returns: Investing a large amount at once can yield significant returns.

Simple and Quick: One-time investment, no need for regular monitoring.

Ideal for Market Opportunities: Beneficial during market dips for higher gains.

Considerations:

Market Risk: Higher exposure to market volatility at one point.

Timing Risk: Difficult to time the market perfectly.

Liquidity: May face restrictions on withdrawing funds.

Guaranteed Income: Options and Benefits

Fixed Deposits:

Safety: Provides guaranteed returns.

Liquidity: Easy to withdraw with minimal penalties.

Predictable Income: Fixed interest rate ensures regular income.

Public Provident Fund (PPF):

Safe Investment: Government-backed, risk-free.

Tax Benefits: Interest earned is tax-free.

Long-Term Growth: Suitable for long-term financial goals.

Senior Citizens' Savings Scheme (SCSS):

High Safety: Government-backed, secure returns.

Regular Income: Quarterly interest payments.

Tax Benefits: Investment eligible for tax deduction.

Systematic Withdrawal Plan (SWP):

Flexibility: Regular income from mutual funds.

Tax Efficiency: Only the gains are taxed, not the principal.

Control: Decide the withdrawal amount and frequency.

Combining lumpsum investments with guaranteed income options can provide growth and stability. Regular reviews with a Certified Financial Planner can help align with your goals.

Hi I am currently 30 years of age and I would like to ask about an investment where I'm going to make on a flat purchase of 46 Lacs with down payment of 16 Lacs along with a loan of 30 Lacs with a current salary of 50050 rupees per month... So I would like to know the loan tenure would be best suited for me to manage my savings for the future along with my daily expenditure?
Ans: Investment Strategy for Flat Purchase
Purchasing a flat can be a significant financial decision. As a Certified Financial Planner, I appreciate your initiative in seeking advice.

Assessing Your Financial Situation
You have a salary of Rs. 50,050 per month. Your down payment is Rs. 16 lakhs. You plan to take a loan of Rs. 30 lakhs. It's crucial to balance your loan repayment with your daily expenses and savings.

Evaluating Loan Tenure
For your situation, a longer loan tenure can lower your EMI. This means more manageable monthly payments. However, this will increase the total interest paid over the loan period. A shorter loan tenure will result in higher EMIs but lower total interest.

Balancing Savings and Expenses
With your monthly salary, aim to keep your EMIs around 30-40% of your income. This ensures you have enough for daily expenses and savings. For a loan of Rs. 30 lakhs, consider a tenure of 20 years. This will make your EMIs more affordable.

Planning for Future Savings
Allocate funds for emergency savings, retirement planning, and other goals. Ensure you have at least six months of expenses saved for emergencies. Regularly review and adjust your financial plan.

Balancing a home loan with savings and expenses requires careful planning. Choose a loan tenure that suits your monthly cash flow. Keep your long-term financial goals in mind.

Hi sir, I am aging 37 years. I have built house in my native and its present value is Rs 45 lakh. With housing loan of Rs 9 lakh and getting only 6k rent. As I am working in corporate company in Blore. And no plans to go back to my native for next 10 years. So plz guide me shall i sell this house and invest elsewhere. If yes. Plz guide me which is the best option for long term means for next 10 years investment. Thank u .
Ans: Current Situation Analysis

Your house in your native place is valued at Rs 45 lakh, with a housing loan of Rs 9 lakh. The rental income of Rs 6,000 per month may not be sufficient to justify holding the property if you are not planning to return in the next 10 years.

Evaluating the Options

Selling the House: Pros and Cons

Pros:

You can clear the housing loan of Rs 9 lakh.

You can invest the proceeds in higher-return assets.

Eliminates the hassle of managing a rental property.

Cons:

You may lose potential appreciation in property value.

Emotional attachment to the property.

Investment Options for Long Term

1. Mutual Funds:

Equity Mutual Funds: Suitable for long-term growth. Diversify across sectors and companies.

Hybrid Mutual Funds: Mix of equity and debt. Provides balanced growth with some stability.

2. Public Provident Fund (PPF):

Safe and tax-efficient.

Offers decent returns over the long term.

3. Systematic Investment Plans (SIPs):

Regular, disciplined investment in mutual funds.

Beneficial for averaging out market volatility.

4. Debt Mutual Funds:

For stability and regular income.

Less risky compared to equity mutual funds.

Selling the house and clearing the loan can free up capital for more productive investments. Diversifying into mutual funds, PPF, and SIPs can provide balanced growth and stability over the next 10 years.