Geeta

Geeta Ratra  |118 Answers  |Ask -

Visas, Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Sep 27, 2023

Rajesh Question by Rajesh on Aug 02, 2023Translate

My son currently in his first PU, he is planning to write SAT in August, his practice scores are in the range of 1350 to 1500. He is interested in pursuing either Computers or Physics at US universities. What kind of universities we can expect hoping his SAT scores are the same as practice tests? Also, how to know about the scholarships offered ?

Ans: Hi Rajesh,
With his SAT score range of 1350 to 1500 along with his academics and extra curriculum activities he will have good options to enroll for computer degree from top universities in USA.

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Oct 13, 2023

My son is Btech from IIT delhi having 3 years work experience in a software start up. he wants to pursue MS in computer Science,has Gre score above 350,TOFFLE score above minimum required.He applied last year too but didnt receive any call from Ivy League universities.This year too he will apply what should he do to get admission in good university sanjay
Ans: Hello Sanjay,

To begin with, thank you for contacting us. I am happy to hear about your son’s plans on pursuing Master’s of Science in Computer Science. As an answer to your query, I would like to tell you that your son should follow these recommendations in order to enhance his chances of securing admission to Ivy League universities.

As the first step, your son should make sure to draft a compelling application. This entails submitting a strong Statement of Purpose/Personal Statement that outlines his interest for the field of computer science, his accomplishments as well as his future goals. Not just that, he should also obtain robust endorsement letters from professors or employers who can attest to his character and abilities. As mentioned previously, your son has applied to only Ivy League universities. Remember that outstanding programs in Computer Science are offered by a number of high-class universities. I would suggest that he submits applications to not only Ivy League but rather to a broad variety of universities. In doing so, his chances of obtaining admission offers will be boosted.

Remember that extracurricular activities are an integral part of the application procedure, and thus, I would recommend that in order to showcase his passion for the field of computer science, your son should throw light on extracurriculars or outstanding achievements he has earned. Versatile applicants are often favored by admissions committees. As mentioned above, your son has already appeared for and obtained a GRE score of more than 350. I would say that though this score earned by him is respectable, it might not necessarily meet the criteria to secure admission to Ivy League universities. Earning a robust score can greatly enhance your son’s application, and thus, I would recommend that he re-appear for the GRE examination and strive to achieve a greater score.

When applying to certain universities, your son may be required to appear for interviews as part of the application process. I would recommend that he researches common interview questions and prepares his responses to those queries. If asked for, he should be well prepared to throw light on his past experiences, background, as well as his objectives for the future. Remember that one’s performance in the interview can greatly decide whether he/she secures admission. Your son should show his earlier application to academic advisors or counselors if possible as they would be able to point out areas that require improvement, provide meaningful insights, and guide him better. Lastly, with a number of universities have rolling admissions procedures, I would recommend that your son submits his applications ahead of time.

I would like to point out that although Ivy League universities are well-renowned, several other universities offer outstanding computer science programs that your son can consider applying to. His chances of getting admitted to a reputed program in the field of computer science can be enhanced if he applies to a number of universities.

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Oct 09, 2023

Asked by Anonymous - Oct 08, 2023Translate
Hello Sushil, my son hasn't completed any UG course inspite of getting admission into 3 premier colleges in India. Now he wants to apply for a course in MIT or Stanford. He has scored 117/120 in TOEFL. Expecting his SAT result by this month end. Can you please guide us with the admission process ? Also is there any organization which can assist him with scholarship for the program. He is an extremely intelligent and hardworking student. It is just that the education system here wasn't convincing him to finish what he started.

First and foremost, thank you for getting in touch with us. I am glad to hear about your son’s plans on enrolling in a course at leading American universities viz., MIT or Stanford. I would like to inform you that it’s very likely for many students to alter their educational pathways. Similarly, remember that applications made by students who have chosen to embark on different education paths are taken into account by the above mentioned universities. Follow these steps to ensure a successful admission process:

1. Education Prerequisites: The education prerequisites for each university is unique. I would suggest that your son fulfills these minimum requirements that generally require him to maintain a strong grade point average (GPA), high scores in the ACT/SAT exam, and complete challenging courses in high school.

2. Submit TOEFL Test Results: As mentioned previously, your son has scored 117/120 in the TOEFL examination. I would like to tell you that this is indeed outstanding and must satisfy the prerequisites for English language competency.

3. Submit Marksheets: Your son will need to acquire and submit official marksheets from all his past academic institutions.

4. Craft a Compelling Personal Statement or Essays: A strong Statement of Purpose (SOP) or personal essays demonstrating your son’s past experiences, character, and reasons for him aspiring to study at MIT or Stanford University need to be prepared and submitted.

5. Endorsement Letters: As part of the admission procedure, your son will also need to obtain compelling recommendation letters from professors or instructors who can attest to both, his personality and skills.

6. Showcase Extracurricular Achievements: Remember that showcasing one’s extracurricular activities is also a vital part of the application process, thus, I would recommend that your son demonstrates his participation in extracurriculars, highlights his roles as a leader in any event as well as talks about his accomplishments.

7. Submit Standardized Exam Results: As soon as your son receives his SAT result, he should submit the same. Its crucial to achieve high scores as both, Stanford and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) welcome these tests.

8. Appear for Interviews: Keep in mind that certain programs may require your son to appear for interviews as part of the admission procedure. He should be well prepared for the same. I would recommend that he investigates common interview questions and prepares his responses to those queries.

9. Investigate Possible Scholarships and Monetary Assistance Options: Multiple scholarships and financial assistance possibilities are offered by these American universities. I would suggest that your son takes into account the available scholarships and funding alternatives, and applies for the same.

10. Making Applications for External Scholarships: As an answer to your query, I would suggest that your son conducts a comprehensive study on external grant possibilities that provide assistance to international students. These scholarships, with varying eligibility criteria are offered by organizations viz., Rhodes Scholarship, Fulbright, or numerous other groups.

11. Adhere to Application Deadlines: Do not miss out on the application deadlines for both, Stanford and MIT. Submit each university’s application on time.

12. Plan your Finances: Consider the living costs, tuition fees, medical costs, as well as other study abroad expenditures, and plan your finances accordingly.

13. Meet Visa and Immigration Rules: To study in the USA, familiarize yourself with the visa and immigration guidelines. Also, prepare the required paperwork ahead of time.

14. Take into account possible routes: If it is taking a while for your son to secure admission, I would suggest that you take into account other possible routes viz., getting him enrolled in community college transfer courses. This pathway has been opted for by a number of students which has proven to be successful.

15. Acquire Guidance: Meaningful insights and assistance can be provided by study abroad organizations and consultancies to international students who can guide them throughout the application procedure and help them obtain grants or scholarships. I recommend that you get in touch with such consultancies.

In the application, your son should describe his prior school experiences as well as pen down the reasons for him not completing any undergraduate course despite securing admission to three prestigious colleges. In addition, if granted an opportunity, he should throw light on his capacity to grow and succeed. These universities have cut-throat competition for admission. Your son’s opportunities to secure admission and obtain monetary assistance can be boosted through submitting a robust application.

HR, Workspace Expert - Answered on Feb 23, 2024

Dear sir,I am compulsory retired from psu, as a senior Manager still I am having 5 years For matured retirement. Is there any jobs available for me?
Ans: As a senior manager with significant experience and five years until mature retirement, you have valuable skills and expertise that can be applied to various job opportunities. Here are some potential avenues to explore:

Industry Consultancy: Consider offering consultancy services in your industry. Your extensive experience can be valuable to companies seeking expertise in areas such as operations management, strategic planning, or process optimization.

Freelancing or Contract Work: Explore opportunities for freelancing or contract work in your field. Many companies, especially startups or smaller businesses, may require temporary support for specific projects or initiatives.

Part-Time or Remote Work: Look for part-time or remote work opportunities that allow for flexibility and work-life balance. Many organizations offer remote positions for experienced professionals, including roles in project management, consulting, or advisory services.

Government or NGO Roles: Investigate opportunities in government agencies or non-governmental organizations (NGOs) where your experience and expertise can be beneficial. These organizations often have positions available in areas such as policy development, program management, or capacity building.

Teaching or Training: Consider sharing your knowledge and expertise by pursuing opportunities in teaching or training roles. Universities, colleges, training institutes, and corporate training departments may seek experienced professionals to teach courses or conduct workshops in your field.

Professional Associations and Networks: Join professional associations and networks related to your industry. These platforms can provide access to job opportunities, networking events, and professional development resources.

Entrepreneurship: Explore the possibility of starting your own business or venture based on your expertise and interests. Entrepreneurship allows you to leverage your experience to create innovative solutions or services within your industry.

Career Counseling and Coaching: With your extensive experience, you could consider a career in counseling or coaching, helping individuals navigate their career paths, develop skills, and achieve their professional goals.

Online Platforms: Utilize online job platforms, networking sites like LinkedIn, and specialized recruitment agencies to explore job opportunities tailored to your skills and experience.

Upskilling and Continuous Learning: Stay updated with industry trends, technologies, and best practices through continuous learning and upskilling. Investing in certifications, attending workshops, or pursuing advanced education can enhance your marketability and open doors to new opportunities.

Remember to tailor your job search approach to your interests, strengths, and career goals. Networking, maintaining a strong online presence, and staying proactive in your job search efforts can significantly increase your chances of finding fulfilling opportunities in your mature retirement phase.

i served education institute as approved Asso Professor. superannuated before 2 years but no gratuity is paid.what next?
Ans: If you have superannuated from an educational institute and have not received your gratuity even after two years, you should take the following steps:

Check Employment Contract or Policy:

Review your employment contract or the institute's policy to understand the terms and conditions regarding gratuity. It should outline the eligibility criteria and the process for payment.
Contact HR or Administration:

Reach out to the Human Resources (HR) department or administration of the educational institute. Inquire about the status of your gratuity and seek clarification on any delays.
Written Communication:

If verbal communication does not yield results, send a written communication (email or letter) to the HR department, clearly stating the issue, mentioning your superannuation date, and seeking information on the status of your gratuity.
Gather Documentation:

Ensure you have all the necessary documentation related to your employment, superannuation, and gratuity. This may include appointment letters, salary slips, and any other relevant records.
Legal Consultation:

If your attempts to resolve the issue internally are unsuccessful, consider seeking legal advice. Consult with a lawyer who specializes in labor or employment law to understand your rights and options.
Labor Department Complaint:

In some jurisdictions, labor departments or government authorities handle labor-related disputes. You may file a complaint with the appropriate labor department or ombudsman, providing details of the non-payment of gratuity.
Employee Welfare Associations:

If applicable, involve any employee welfare or union representatives who may assist in addressing the issue.
Mediation or Conciliation:

Some jurisdictions have mediation or conciliation services to resolve employment-related disputes. Explore these options as an alternative to legal action.
Legal Action:

If all else fails, you may need to consider legal action to claim your gratuity. Your lawyer can guide you on the appropriate legal steps to take in your jurisdiction.
It's crucial to act promptly and keep records of all communication related to the non-payment of gratuity. The specific steps and options available to you may vary depending on the labor laws in your country or region. Consulting with a legal professional familiar with local employment laws is advisable to ensure you take the most appropriate course of action.

Asked by Anonymous - Dec 13, 2023Translate
Presently I work as Asst VP in formulation R&D and my CTC is 72 lakhs. I have a total of 21 years experience post Ph.D degree. How does my salary compare to pharma industry standards? Is it in line with the industry trend or higher than average or lower?
Ans: Determining whether your salary is in line with industry standards can be influenced by various factors, including your role, responsibilities, the company's size, location, and overall market conditions. However, your current salary of 72 lakhs as an Assistant Vice President in Formulation R&D with 21 years of experience post-Ph.D. seems competitive and well above average for the pharmaceutical industry.

To get a more accurate benchmark, you might consider:

Industry Reports: Explore industry reports and salary surveys specific to the pharmaceutical sector. Organizations like Aon, Mercer, or local industry associations may publish such reports.

Networking: Connect with professionals in similar roles through industry events, LinkedIn, or professional organizations. Discussing compensation trends can provide valuable insights.

Consulting with HR: Speak with your company's HR department to understand how your compensation aligns with the company's salary structure and industry standards.

Job Portals: Check job portals for similar positions in your region to see the salary ranges offered by other companies for comparable roles.

Geographical Considerations: Keep in mind that salaries can vary significantly based on geographical locations. A salary that is competitive in one region may be considered high or low in another.

Market Demand: Assess the demand for professionals in your role. If there is a high demand for individuals with your skill set and experience, it could contribute to a higher salary.

Ultimately, while salary is an important factor, it's also crucial to consider other aspects of your compensation package, such as benefits, bonuses, and opportunities for career growth. If you feel satisfied with your overall package, including non-monetary benefits, and your compensation aligns with your responsibilities and the industry standards, then it's likely that your salary is competitive. If you have specific concerns, discussing them with your HR department or seeking advice from industry professionals can provide more tailored insights.

I am 84 but due to acute financial problems fcg even groceey problems looking for English to Hindi Translation job
Ans: I'm sorry to hear about your challenges. Finding an English to Hindi translation job can be challenging, but there are a few platforms where you can explore opportunities:

Freelance Platforms:

Websites like Upwork, Freelancer, and Fiverr often have translation projects. You can create a profile and bid on relevant jobs.
Translation Agencies:

Contact translation agencies and offer your services. Many agencies look for experienced translators for various language pairs.
Online Job Portals:

Keep an eye on job portals like Indeed or Naukri, where companies occasionally post translation-related job opportunities.
Language Learning Platforms:

Some language learning apps and websites may also require translation services. Check platforms like Duolingo, Babbel, or Rosetta Stone.
Community Centers:

Local community centers or language learning institutions might have occasional translation needs.
Online Volunteer Platforms:

Consider volunteering your translation services on platforms like Translators without Borders or UN Volunteers.
Networking:

Leverage your network. Inform friends, family, or acquaintances about your skills and let them know you are looking for translation opportunities.
Local Businesses:

Visit local businesses, especially those serving diverse communities, and inquire if they need translation services.
Government Programs:

Some government programs or NGOs may require translation services. Check with local offices or online platforms for opportunities.
Remember, persistence is key. It may take time to find opportunities, but by actively seeking and applying for jobs, you increase your chances of securing a position. Additionally, if you face financial difficulties, you may also want to explore local support services or community programs that could provide assistance. I hope you find a suitable opportunity soon.

What are best way to upskill as a student?
Ans: Upskilling as a student is a valuable investment in your future. Here are some effective ways to upskill:

Online Courses and Certifications:

Platforms like Coursera, edX, Udacity, and Khan Academy offer a wide range of courses on various subjects.
Consider certifications in areas relevant to your field of study or future career.
MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses):

Explore MOOCs from universities and institutions around the world.
They often provide high-quality content for free or at a minimal cost.
Specialized Training Platforms:

Platforms like LinkedIn Learning, Skillshare, and Pluralsight offer courses on specific skills and tools.
These platforms often have tutorials on software, programming languages, design tools, etc.
Internships and Co-op Programs:

Gain practical experience through internships or co-op programs related to your field of study.
Real-world experience can complement theoretical knowledge and enhance your skills.
Networking and Mentorship:

Connect with professionals in your industry through networking events, LinkedIn, or local meetups.
A mentor can provide guidance and share insights into the industry.
Project-Based Learning:

Work on real-world projects to apply your skills.
This hands-on experience can help you build a portfolio that showcases your abilities.
Join Student Organizations:

Participate in relevant clubs or organizations on your campus.
They often provide opportunities for skill development and networking.
Read Industry Publications and Blogs:

Stay updated on industry trends and innovations by reading blogs, journals, and articles.
Subscribe to newsletters or follow influencers in your field.
Soft Skills Development:

Focus on developing soft skills like communication, teamwork, time management, and adaptability.
These skills are crucial for professional success.
Attend Workshops and Conferences:

Attend workshops and conferences to learn from experts and connect with professionals.
These events can provide insights into the latest developments in your field.
Language Learning:

Learn additional languages, especially if they are relevant to your field or if you plan to work internationally.
Self-Assessment and Reflection:

Regularly assess your skills and identify areas for improvement.
Set goals for continuous learning and monitor your progress.
Remember, upskilling is a continuous process, and staying curious and adaptable will serve you well throughout your career. Tailor your upskilling efforts to align with your career goals and the demands of your chosen industry.
Shreya

Shreya Shah  |26 Answers  |Ask -

Nutritionist, Diabetes Educator - Answered on Feb 23, 2024