Hello, I am 35 years old. Married. Not living with husband since an year, as he flirted with an office girl (this is the extent of it that I caught) and has tendency to do so. He is not emotionally aware (of himself or me) and I keep getting hurt as I am quite emotional. Also, I am not on talking terms with his parents as they had tried to sabotage our marriage in different ways on countless occasions. My husband wont agree (not that I want him to agree), but I think that's one reason of our increasing differences. I love him, but cannot find in my heart to move back with him ever again. We have a 5 year old kid, due to whom I am unable to move ahead with divorce. I am stuck in the midst, not knowing where to go next or stay in this same 'married but separated ' position forever. I'm definitely happier without the everyday petty bickering that we had when we lived together (which was turning me into a bitter and angry person, I don't want to be that). I have turned extremely distrustful of him. I do feel very lonely at times. We also went to a guidance counsellor to make the relation work some 1.5 years back, but my husband felt its a waste of money after 5 sessions, also he never invested in the emotional sorting that the counsellor mentioned our relation required. Any guidance?

Ans: It sounds like you're facing a complex and challenging situation. Here are some steps you might consider as you navigate your next steps:

Take care of yourself first and foremost. This means prioritizing your mental and emotional well-being. Consider seeking support from a therapist or counselor who can help you process your feelings, develop coping strategies, and explore your options moving forward.
Take some time to reflect on what you want for yourself and your child in the long term. Consider what kind of environment you want to create for your child, as well as what you need in terms of emotional fulfillment and stability.
If you feel comfortable, consider having an open and honest conversation with your husband about your concerns and feelings. Express how his actions have affected you and what you need from him moving forward. However, be prepared for the possibility that he may not be receptive or willing to change.
Consult with a family law attorney to understand your rights and options regarding divorce, custody, and child support. They can provide guidance tailored to your specific situation and help you navigate the legal process.
Regardless of whether you choose to stay married or pursue divorce, prioritize effective co-parenting for the well-being of your child. This may involve setting clear boundaries, communicating openly about parenting decisions, and prioritizing your child's needs above any personal conflicts.
Consider exploring alternative living arrangements or custody agreements that may better suit your needs and preferences. This could include living separately while co-parenting, or exploring shared custody arrangements that provide stability for your child while allowing you to maintain some distance from your husband.
Reach out to friends, family members, or support groups for additional support and guidance. It can be helpful to connect with others who have gone through similar experiences and can offer empathy, advice, and solidarity.
Ultimately, the decision of whether to stay married or pursue divorce is a deeply personal one that only you can make. Take your time, trust your instincts, and prioritize your own well-being and that of your child as you navigate this challenging process.

Hi, me and my husband are married for 12 years now, we have a daughter. Both of us are totally different, like north and south pole. He is very extrovert, tries to be the centre of attention, always needs his social circle, his work, friends circle is all that matters to him. I am a total introvert. I don't care about having friends, I hate parties, all that matters to me is my family. First few years, he made me feel that I am a misfit in this world and I had a huge pressure to be an extrovert like him. He was always like how can this famous Mr Extrovert can have such an introvert wife, that's so shameful. I tried changing myself because I was so desperate for his love and respect. All that mattered to him was my looks, how I conducted myself in front of people and after pregnancy, all that bothered him was my weight gain. I started hating myself, believed that maybe I just don't deserve to be loved. I went into depression after pregnancy. I had to leave my job to take care of my baby, his mom who was bed ridden by then, his dad who had serious health issues. I told him, thought he would at least care then. It took him 3 years after that to even come with me to a psychiatrist. He never cared. I always thought it’s my fault, tried to patch things up but now I am tired, really tired. I feel suffocated. I am afraid of separating from him. As a person, he is good but we are totally misfit for each other. I still cannot come to terms with all the emotional abuse I went through. He didn't intend to harm me, he thought he is only helping me to improve and be better but now, I don't know what to do, I am not happy.

Dear SN, It’s a wonder why anyone would go to such lengths to change themselves for another; especially their personalities: what makes them who they are! All in the name of saving relationships and love.

True love within a relationship doesn’t demand that the other person change themselves upside down, but it embraces who the other person is unconditionally.

And what makes you think that an extroverted person has the right to change an introverted person?

Did you try and change him to be like you? No! Then why is the reverse even being given so much importance. Also, your husband does not any right to mock you!

His world is different from yours as much as your world is different from yours. And kindly remember: Extroverts (if you want to label them), ate people who are happy with a lot of company around them, are vocal about liking being in a crowd and having a good time spending time with people.

They are not ones who poke fun at the way their spouses look, try and change them to suit their personalities.

So, who you are living with right now is a man with very poor self-esteem and huge insecurities and is blaming you for these and trying to change you will make him feel better.

Do not feed into this game; as once you begin to show that you will yield to his demands, that’s all you are going to do for life. He has to change from within!

He has to understand that what is going on within him is the cause of his misery and not you. But of course, doing something for a spouse even when you don’t like it has to be out of your own will and not forced. Now you take a call as to how you are going to deal with this in your marriage.

READ WHAT YOU HAVE WRITTEN: He didn't intend to harm me, he thought he is only helping me to improve and be better!

Do you really need help or does he? You have started to actually believe that you are at fault and that it is your problem.

Bottom line: You change only if you wish to and that too with things that don’t challenge your value systems. Never be forced into anything; period!

Either sit him down and assert this point or ask him to visit a professional to take care of his state of mind.

Hi Anu, it's been 5 years of my marriage. From the last few months I am feeling disconnected from my husband. I ask him about it. He mentioned that he met a guy somewhere in November and had a one-night stand with him. He explained to me the initiation was from him and that he likes him. After few days of conversation with him my husband started having feelings for him. But it was for limited time period coz that guy was trying on someone else or many others (according to my husband) A few days earlier he mentioned that he is being confused if he is gay or straight. He now has feeling for another guy but he has a family and sees him as friend. My husband is continuously telling me to understand him. He needs to find him etc etc... And deep down I know he has no future with any other man. He doesn't feel any physical attraction towards me (it's what I think). I do like him. Physically also. But he doesn't. We don't have any child. He is 36, I am 34.Now I am super confused what to do. I do love him. Please help.

Dear KS,

It’s still unfortunate largely in our country and in few other places outside of India, sexual preferences and orientation is still considered a taboo or something to shoved under the carpet.

It’s treated as an illness that will go away like a cold and fever.

Your marriage possibly comes under this confusion and hence both you and your husband are struggling.

He never got a chance to figure out which gender he leans into more maybe due to societal pressure or from family; and it has surfaced after marriage.

For you, it feels like you have been cheated and though you love him, do know that it might not be a marriage that might work especially if he chooses to root himself to his current sexual orientation.

I suggest you weigh out the pros and cons of being in this marriage and have a frank discussion with your husband.

If he has nothing to offer to you and in this marriage, you know what is to be done.

Whatever it be, do know that this has happened at the right time; just imagine the confusions if there were children in the picture.

If after the discussion, it was just something that he experimented with, I guess there might be scope to grow into the marriage.

Have that discussion and do that NOW; a lot will ease.

Yes, it perhaps might be a heartbreak, but better to MOVE either way.

Be strong and all the best!

I want to keep it anonymous.I am a 30 years old independent woman married for 5 months only.My husband and I were in same college but were not friends.He had been approaching me for getting married since 2017, but every time I had rejected his proposal, later in February, 2021 I talked to him openly and mentioned my inability to conceive if we get married.To which his response was that he really liked me and is ready to accept me with my inability.I made our families met and we got engaged.During the one year of courtship period, initial 4-5 months were peaceful, but he and I were missing a bond, yet we thought may be with time we will find it.After the initial phase as we started meeting for family functions.He started finding flaws in me. Things like, I stare at other men when I go out, I don’t give him priority, why do I talk to any male friend beyond necessity, why do I praise my senior at office parties etc.He started controlling me in these areas and used to get angry if I talk to my siblings late night.I started feeling trapped and suffocated, and always under the fear that any of my action could make my husband angry.In that anger he seemed like a very different person, someone aggressive.We started fighting, arguing over petty things.He wanted me to change but I was reluctant as those were very normal things for me and I started telling him that this relationship is not working.We are two persons with different mindset and ideologies and since we are unable to reach to a solution over any issue, let’s call it off.I tried to call this wedding off for like 6 times, but he never agreed to this stating that he loves me and he will change his attitude and will not stop me from doing anything.Whenever I tried to break up with him he'd start crying, stating things like you are my only happiness in life, and I would die without you and all.I involved my family into the matter and shared things with them.They used to call my husband to make him understand my expectations from him.In front of them my husband used to admit that he would change his behaviour.He used to stay calm for 5-6 days and then continue with the same attitude.Basically, it was an on and off behaviour from his side and because of that my behaviour was also affected.I was trying to see his positive side as he had accepted me with my inability, so he must be a good person.Somehow, after so many issues, we got married.After marriage, we went for honeymoon, but he showed a different attitude.He started insulting me that I stare at other people, including the waiter.He would fight with me aggressively, and when I cry he'd calm me down stating that this fight is my fault; had I not done this he would not have fought; had I obeyed him he would not have gotten angry. Then he used to make love to me.For 4 days this happened continuously.On the 4th day I told him I cannot stand him and bear his mind numbing torture.If he sees so many flaws in my character we must part our ways, and there is not point of staying together.He agreed but later he started apologising, asking for another chance to this marriage. I agreed.But his behaviour didn’t improve much. We used to live with his parents, he started taking active participation in local politics which used to keep him busy.He started controlling me indirectly for visiting my moms and relatives.He'd taunt me for not sharing my salary with his parents.Later I found out his work is not running smooth and he is not making enough.The issue of staring at men and shaking hands with men while greeting congratulations, was also an issue to him.He'd remain normal as long as I did things as per his wish.If I said or did anything opposite, he'd get aggressive and disrespectful towards me.Love was nowhere around. He never said I am a good looking woman. My husband rarely complimented me though I get many whenever I go out.He seemed not to be bothered about me except for the time I do something he doesn’t like.My mom also supported him. His behaviour started taking a toll on my mental condition and I started feeling uncomfortable around him.I stopped being physical as I was feeling emotionally detached.The fights had broken me, my bare minimum expectations were not fulfilled.My husband also broke relations with my family and was disrespectful to them.Initially he had promised that I will be free to visit my mom whenever I want and he will not seek my salary ever or doubt my character, but nothing turned to be true.After 4 months of torture, I came to my mom's place and told my husband that I cannot live with him.I actually feel much better without him. As soon as he knew that I am leaving him he has surrendered and is admitting that he made mistakes and doesn’t want to lose me.He says I am his only hope in life and he loves me a lot and can’t live without me.He does the same emotional drama every time I try to part ways with him.My family is pressurising me to give him another chance. But my trust is shattered beyond repair.He made my cry, he pushed me into depression.I do not respect him. He accepted me with my inability, but I feel he never liked the real me.He is not ready to admit this fact that we have not been good for each other.To me he seems like a male chauvinist, a dominating and controlling person.He stays grumpy most of the time, behaves well with others but is arrogant with family members.What do I do? I am in utter confusion, I am unable to force myself into a love-less marriage and my family and husband doesn’t understand it.(I am a government officer and my husband runs a small business)

Dear MK,

This is a classic case of crying out, blaming the spouse for the crying and sending her on a guilt trip, promising to do better, not following through and when she walks out, crying out again.

It's cyclical and traps you within in the loop.

He really needs to work out his stuff with a professional, else this is going to be something that you have to deal with repeatedly.

To not be able to take responsibility for his actions, shifting blame onto you, acting insecure and preventing you from leading your life the way that you are used to -- like talking to your family and friends -- are all red flags.

Step up, take charge and suggest that he goes to a professional if he wants the marriage to work.

If he doesn’t and continues the same way, you know what you must do to secure yourself and your life.

Dear MK,

I am a divorcee living with my teenager son. I am working as a teacher in a private school. My monthly income is 40,000. My son is pursuing for correspondence degree and side by side doing part time job and earning 12,000. I don't have any savings, health insurance etc. My humble request to guide me how can we start our savings now. I also want to buy health insurance for me without any more delay. Please guide. Regards
    Ans: It's a privilege to help you with your financial planning. With some thoughtful strategies and careful planning, you can establish a solid financial foundation for you and your son. Let's break it down step-by-step.

Understanding Your Current Financial Situation
    You earn Rs 40,000 per month, while your son contributes Rs 12,000 from his part-time job. Together, this makes a combined monthly income of Rs 52,000. Recognising this starting point is crucial for building a robust financial plan.

Considering your situation, it's commendable that you're keen on starting savings and securing health insurance promptly. This shows foresight and responsibility, which are essential traits for successful financial planning.

Budgeting and Expense Management
    First, let's address budgeting. Tracking your expenses will help you identify areas where you can cut costs and save more effectively.

List Monthly Expenses: Break down your monthly expenses into categories such as rent, utilities, groceries, transportation, and other essentials. Also, factor in any discretionary spending like dining out or entertainment.

Evaluate and Trim: Assess each expense category to see where you can make adjustments. For example, cooking at home more often can reduce food costs. Small changes can add up to significant savings over time.

Set a Savings Goal: Aim to save at least 20% of your combined income. This would amount to Rs 10,400 per month. Start by saving any amount you can and gradually increase it as you manage your expenses better.

Prioritising Health Insurance
    Securing health insurance should be your immediate priority. Medical emergencies can lead to substantial financial stress without adequate coverage.

Choosing a Plan: Look for a comprehensive health insurance plan that covers major illnesses, hospitalisation, and critical care. Compare different plans and their premiums to find one that fits your budget.

Covering Both: Ensure that both you and your son are covered under the plan. Family floater plans can be a cost-effective way to provide coverage for both of you.

Building an Emergency Fund
    An emergency fund is essential for handling unexpected expenses such as medical emergencies, job loss, or urgent repairs.

Initial Goal: Aim to save at least three to six months' worth of living expenses. Given your current income, this would be between Rs 1,20,000 to Rs 2,40,000.

Saving Incrementally: Start by saving a small amount each month. For example, allocate Rs 5,000 monthly towards your emergency fund until you reach your goal.

Establishing Regular Savings and Investments
    Once you have a health insurance plan and an emergency fund, the next step is to begin saving and investing regularly. Given your income, you can start small and gradually increase your contributions.

Recurring Deposit (RD): A recurring deposit is a safe option to start with. You can save a fixed amount every month, which earns interest over time. This is suitable for short-term goals and offers liquidity.

Mutual Funds: Mutual funds are an effective way to grow your wealth over the long term. Choose actively managed mutual funds, as they often outperform index funds due to professional management and research.

Systematic Investment Plan (SIP): Start a SIP in mutual funds to invest a fixed amount regularly. This helps in averaging the purchase cost and reducing risk. For instance, a SIP of Rs 5,000 per month in a diversified mutual fund can be a good starting point.

Evaluating and Managing Existing Insurance Policies
    If you hold any investment-cum-insurance policies like LIC or ULIPs, consider their performance and charges.

Review Policy Details: Check the return on investment, charges, and insurance coverage. Many times, these policies have high charges and low returns.

Surrender and Reinvest: If the policies are not yielding satisfactory returns, consider surrendering them. Reinvest the proceeds into more efficient instruments like mutual funds for better growth and separate term insurance for adequate coverage.

Planning for Long-term Goals
    Setting long-term financial goals will provide direction and motivation to your saving and investment efforts.

Child’s Education: With your son pursuing a correspondence degree, consider his future educational aspirations. Start a dedicated investment for this goal, like a mutual fund SIP, to build a corpus over time.

Retirement Planning: Even though you may have several years until retirement, it's never too early to start. Look into retirement-focused mutual funds or pension schemes that can provide a steady income post-retirement.

Avoiding Common Pitfalls
    It's important to be aware of common financial mistakes and how to avoid them.

High-interest Debt: Avoid taking on high-interest debt like personal loans or credit card debt. If you already have such debts, prioritise paying them off as soon as possible.

Investing without Knowledge: Invest only in products you understand. Take time to educate yourself about various investment options and their risks.

Over-diversification: While diversification is key to reducing risk, over-diversification can dilute returns. Choose a balanced portfolio with a mix of equity and debt based on your risk tolerance.

Seeking Professional Guidance
    While self-education and disciplined saving are crucial, consulting a certified financial planner can provide personalised advice.

Professional Advice: A CFP can help you create a tailored financial plan, optimise your investments, and ensure you stay on track to meet your goals.

Regular Review: Schedule regular reviews with your financial planner to assess your progress and make necessary adjustments.

Your willingness to start saving and securing health insurance is a commendable step towards financial stability. By budgeting effectively, prioritising health insurance, building an emergency fund, and investing wisely, you can create a secure financial future for yourself and your son. Remember, every small step counts, and consistency is key. With careful planning and disciplined execution, you will achieve your financial goals.

My so got 78 percent in ISC and he wants to do BTech computer science but I am private teacher, I unable to afford him for financial so kindly suggest me ,what I should do
    Ans: Understanding Your Situation
    Raising children is a rewarding but challenging journey, especially when financial constraints are present. Your son's ambition to pursue a BTech in Computer Science is commendable. His 78% in ISC is a strong foundation, and his passion for technology can lead to a successful career. As a private teacher, your dedication to education is evident. However, the financial burden of higher education can be daunting. Let's explore various options to make this dream achievable.

Exploring Scholarships and Grants
    Scholarships and grants are valuable resources for funding higher education. They are often based on merit, financial need, or specific talents. Encourage your son to apply for as many scholarships as possible. Many institutions offer scholarships specifically for students in computer science. Additionally, various government and private organizations provide grants that do not require repayment. Research thoroughly and apply to all relevant opportunities.

Education Loans as a Viable Option
    Education loans are a common solution for financing higher education. Banks and financial institutions offer student loans with relatively lower interest rates. These loans typically cover tuition fees, books, and living expenses. The repayment schedule usually starts after the completion of the course, providing some financial relief during the study period. Ensure that you and your son understand the terms and conditions of the loan agreement.

Part-Time Work and Internships
    Encouraging your son to take up part-time work or internships can help ease the financial burden. Many companies offer part-time positions to students, allowing them to gain valuable work experience while earning money. Internships, particularly in the field of computer science, can provide practical knowledge and industry connections. This experience can be advantageous when seeking full-time employment after graduation.

Choosing the Right Institution
    Selecting a cost-effective institution is crucial. While prestigious universities are appealing, many lesser-known colleges offer excellent education at a lower cost. Research institutions with strong computer science programs that fit within your budget. Public universities and colleges often have lower tuition fees compared to private institutions. Balancing quality education with affordability is key.

Exploring Online Education
    Online education has gained popularity due to its flexibility and affordability. Many reputed institutions offer online degrees in computer science. These programs often cost less than traditional on-campus courses. Your son can study at his own pace while saving on accommodation and commuting expenses. Ensure that the online program is accredited and recognized by employers.

Financial Planning and Budgeting
    Effective financial planning is essential to manage the costs of higher education. As a Certified Financial Planner, I recommend creating a detailed budget that includes tuition fees, books, accommodation, and other expenses. Analyze your current financial situation and identify areas where you can cut costs. Setting aside a portion of your income regularly can help accumulate funds for your son's education.

Utilizing Education Savings Plans
    Education savings plans are a strategic way to save for future education expenses. These plans offer tax benefits and help in accumulating a substantial amount over time. Consider starting an education savings plan as early as possible. Even small, regular contributions can grow significantly over the years. Consult with a Certified Financial Planner to choose the best plan suited to your needs.

Exploring Crowdfunding Options
    Crowdfunding has emerged as a popular method for raising funds for various causes, including education. Platforms like Ketto and Milaap allow you to create a campaign to raise funds for your son's education. Share your story and goals with friends, family, and the wider community. While this may not cover all expenses, it can provide significant support.

Leveraging Family and Community Support
    Do not hesitate to seek support from family and friends. Many families contribute towards education collectively. Relatives may be willing to lend or gift money for your son's education. Community organizations and local clubs sometimes offer scholarships or financial aid. Reach out to these networks for potential support.

Reassessing Current Investments
    If you have existing investments, consider reassessing them to fund your son's education. Surrendering or liquidating non-essential investments can provide the necessary funds. For example, if you hold LIC, ULIP, or other investment-cum-insurance policies, evaluate their performance and surrender value. Reinvesting these funds in more profitable avenues can help maximize returns. Consulting with a Certified Financial Planner can provide clarity and direction.

Encouraging Academic Excellence
    Academic excellence can open doors to more scholarship opportunities and financial aid. Encourage your son to maintain high grades and participate in extracurricular activities. Active involvement in coding clubs, tech competitions, and other relevant activities can enhance his profile. Strong academic and extracurricular records can make him a more attractive candidate for scholarships and grants.

Understanding Long-Term Benefits
    Investing in your son's education is an investment in his future. A degree in computer science can lead to lucrative career opportunities. The technology sector is growing rapidly, with high demand for skilled professionals. While the initial financial burden may seem overwhelming, the long-term benefits are substantial. Higher earning potential and career stability can provide financial security for your son and your family.

Seeking Professional Financial Advice
    Navigating financial challenges requires expert guidance. Consulting with a Certified Financial Planner can provide personalized strategies for managing education expenses. They can help you create a comprehensive financial plan, optimize your investments, and explore funding options. Professional advice ensures that you make informed decisions to secure your son's educational future.

Exploring Government Initiatives
    The government offers various initiatives to support higher education. Research government schemes that provide financial aid or subsidized loans for students. These programs are designed to make education accessible to all, regardless of financial background. Ensure that you and your son are aware of these opportunities and apply where eligible.

Emphasizing the Importance of Education
    Instilling the value of education in your son is crucial. Emphasize that education is a powerful tool for personal and professional growth. Encourage him to remain committed and focused on his studies. Remind him that the challenges faced today will lead to a brighter and more prosperous future. Your support and encouragement are vital in his journey.

Exploring Financial Aid from Institutions
    Many educational institutions offer financial aid to students in need. This aid can come in the form of scholarships, grants, or work-study programs. Research the financial aid options available at the institutions your son is interested in. Contact the financial aid offices directly to understand the application process and eligibility criteria. Securing institutional aid can significantly reduce the financial burden.

Balancing Work and Study
    Balancing work and study requires discipline and time management. Encourage your son to plan his schedule effectively to accommodate part-time work or internships. This experience not only provides financial support but also helps develop essential skills such as time management, responsibility, and work ethic. Balancing work and study can enhance his overall college experience and prepare him for future professional challenges.

Leveraging Technology for Learning
    Technology offers numerous resources for learning and skill development. Encourage your son to utilize online platforms, coding bootcamps, and free educational resources. Websites like Coursera, edX, and Khan Academy offer courses in computer science and programming. These resources can supplement his formal education and enhance his skills. Staying updated with the latest technological trends is crucial in the field of computer science.

Encouraging Networking and Mentorship
    Networking and mentorship play a significant role in career development. Encourage your son to connect with professionals in the tech industry. Attending industry conferences, webinars, and networking events can provide valuable insights and opportunities. Finding a mentor in the field can offer guidance, advice, and support throughout his academic and professional journey. Building a strong network is essential for career growth.

Your dedication to your son's education is admirable. Despite financial constraints, numerous avenues can help make his dream of studying BTech in Computer Science a reality. Exploring scholarships, education loans, part-time work, and affordable institutions are practical steps. Effective financial planning, utilizing savings plans, and seeking professional advice can provide a solid financial foundation. Encourage academic excellence, leverage technology, and emphasize the importance of education. Your support and strategic planning will pave the way for a bright and successful future for your son.

Hello sir, I have invested in multiple funds @20k per month, I have some 5-6 l in FDs and a home loan of 40k per month....I am a single mother my son is now 17 and planning to send him for his ug studies preferably with 100 percentage scholarship to Germany....I want to know how effectively I can manage well as I earn @85k
    Ans: It's heartening to see your dedication to securing a bright future for your son and managing your finances effectively. As a single mother with substantial responsibilities, your proactive approach to financial planning is commendable. Let’s delve into a detailed financial strategy that will help you manage your income, investments, and expenses effectively.

You have a monthly income of Rs 85,000, an ongoing investment of Rs 20,000 in multiple funds, and a monthly home loan repayment of Rs 40,000. Additionally, you have Rs 5-6 lakhs in fixed deposits (FDs). Your son, now 17, aims for an undergraduate education in Germany with a full scholarship.

Budgeting and Expense Management
    The first step is to create a detailed budget. This will help you manage your expenses and allocate resources effectively.

Track Your Expenses: List down all your monthly expenses including groceries, utilities, transportation, and any other miscellaneous costs.

Categorise Your Expenses: Divide your expenses into needs and wants. Needs are essential expenses like food, housing, and utilities, while wants are discretionary spending like dining out and entertainment.

Evaluate and Adjust: Assess each category to identify areas where you can cut back. Prioritise essential expenses and find ways to reduce discretionary spending.

Managing Your Home Loan
    A home loan repayment of Rs 40,000 per month is a significant portion of your income. Here’s how you can manage it more effectively:

Prepayment Strategy: If possible, make partial prepayments towards your home loan. This will reduce your principal amount and interest burden. Use any bonuses, increments, or the surplus from your FDs for prepayments.

Interest Rate Review: Regularly review your home loan interest rate. If you find a better offer from another bank, consider refinancing your loan to get a lower interest rate.

Investment Analysis and Optimisation
    Investing Rs 20,000 per month is a good strategy, but it's important to ensure these investments align with your goals and risk tolerance.

Diversified Portfolio: Ensure your investments are diversified across different asset classes. This reduces risk and provides balanced growth.

Actively Managed Funds: Actively managed mutual funds can outperform index funds due to professional management. The fund manager's expertise can help navigate market fluctuations.

Review Performance: Regularly review the performance of your investments. Ensure they are meeting your expectations and adjust your portfolio as needed.

Planning for Your Son's Education
    Sending your son to Germany for his undergraduate studies with a full scholarship is a wonderful goal. However, it’s crucial to plan for other potential expenses.

Scholarship and Funding: Research all available scholarships and funding options. Encourage your son to apply to multiple scholarships to increase his chances of securing one.

Living Expenses: Even with a full scholarship, there will be living expenses such as accommodation, food, transportation, and books. Estimate these costs and start saving specifically for this purpose.

Education Loan: Consider taking an education loan if needed. Many banks offer loans with favourable terms for studies abroad. This can cover any shortfall and ease the financial burden.

Building an Emergency Fund
    An emergency fund is essential for financial security. It acts as a safety net in case of unforeseen expenses.

Set a Goal: Aim to save at least six months' worth of living expenses. This would be around Rs 2,50,000 to Rs 3,00,000 considering your current expenses.

Utilise FDs: You already have Rs 5-6 lakhs in fixed deposits. Allocate a portion of this amount as your emergency fund. Keep this in a liquid FD or a savings account for easy access.

Securing Adequate Health Insurance
    Health insurance is crucial to protect against medical emergencies. Ensure you and your son are adequately covered.

Comprehensive Coverage: Choose a comprehensive health insurance plan that covers major illnesses, hospitalisation, and critical care. Compare different plans for the best coverage and premium.

Family Floater Plan: A family floater plan can be cost-effective. It provides coverage for both you and your son under a single policy.

Top-up Plans: Consider top-up health insurance plans for additional coverage at a lower cost. These plans act as an extension to your base policy.

Planning for Long-term Goals
    Long-term financial planning is essential to ensure a secure future for you and your son.

Retirement Planning: Start planning for your retirement early. Invest in long-term growth assets like mutual funds to build a retirement corpus. Aim to save at least 15-20% of your income towards retirement.

Life Insurance: Ensure you have adequate life insurance coverage. A term insurance policy can provide financial security to your son in case of any unforeseen events. Calculate the coverage amount based on your financial responsibilities and goals.

Avoiding Common Financial Pitfalls
    It’s important to be aware of and avoid common financial mistakes.

High-interest Debt: Avoid taking on high-interest debt like credit card debt or personal loans. If you have such debts, prioritise paying them off as soon as possible.

Over-spending: Stick to your budget and avoid unnecessary expenses. Impulse purchases can derail your financial plans.

Insufficient Insurance: Ensure you have adequate health and life insurance coverage. Under-insurance can lead to significant financial strain in case of emergencies.

Seeking Professional Guidance

Tailored Financial Plan: A certified financial planner can help create a customised financial plan based on your goals, risk tolerance, and financial situation.

Regular Reviews: Schedule regular reviews with your financial planner to assess your progress and make necessary adjustments. This ensures you stay on track to meet your financial goals.

Your proactive approach to financial planning is truly commendable. Balancing investments, loan repayments, and planning for your son’s education requires careful management and strategic planning. By creating a detailed budget, managing your home loan effectively, optimising your investments, and securing adequate insurance coverage, you can achieve financial stability and security. Regularly review and adjust your financial plan to ensure it aligns with your evolving goals and circumstances. With determination and discipline, you can provide a secure future for yourself and your son.

Hi, i invested in multiple funds through SIP. I will stop the SIPs 2 or 3 years after and start with new set of SIPs from different fund house invest and discontinue this after 2-4 year. I do this activity in order to avoid continuous averaging in the same fund. So the continuous average may not grow as like only 2-3 years investment fund. Ex, I have Nippon fund, invested around 55k and stopped 2 years back now the return is 123%(within 5yr). Likewise my over all portfolio annualized return is 20%. So i want to know the way I'm investing is that correct, kindly help me. L
    Ans: Reevaluating Your Investment Strategy
    Your strategy of discontinuing SIPs every 2-4 years and switching to new funds is unique. However, it's essential to understand that stopping SIPs forcefully isn't always necessary. Instead, you might consider other strategies to optimize your investments.

The Importance of SIP Averaging
    SIP averaging helps you manage market volatility by spreading your investments over time. This reduces the impact of market fluctuations on your portfolio. By continuing SIPs, you benefit from rupee cost averaging, which can lead to lower average costs and better long-term returns.

Assessing Fund Performance
    Only discontinue SIPs if the scheme consistently underperforms compared to its benchmark or peers. Regularly review your funds' performance, ideally once a year. If a fund consistently underperforms, it might be wise to switch. However, if the fund performs well, continuing your SIP can be more beneficial.

Benefits of Stepping Up SIPs
    Instead of discontinuing SIPs, consider a Step-Up SIP strategy. This involves gradually increasing your SIP amount, enhancing your investment without the need to switch funds frequently. Here are the benefits:

Compounding Growth: Increasing your investment amount periodically allows you to benefit more from compounding.

Inflation Adjustment: Step-Up SIPs help you adjust for inflation, ensuring your investment keeps pace with rising costs.

Goal Alignment: It helps you align your investments with your growing income and financial goals.

Implementing a Step-Up SIP Strategy
    Implementing a Step-Up SIP strategy is straightforward. Here’s how you can do it:

Annual Increase: Decide to increase your SIP amount annually by a fixed percentage, such as 10-15%.

Income Linked Increase: Increase your SIP amount whenever your income increases, like after a raise or bonus.

Set Reminders: Use financial apps or set reminders to review and increase your SIP amounts regularly.

Evaluating Funds for Step-Up SIP
    When choosing funds for Step-Up SIPs, consider the following factors:

Consistent Performance: Select funds with a track record of consistent performance over different market cycles.

Fund Manager Expertise: Look for funds managed by experienced and reputable fund managers.

Expense Ratio: Choose funds with a reasonable expense ratio to maximize your returns.

Benefits of Long-Term Investment
    Continuing SIPs in well-performing funds for the long term has several advantages:

Rupee Cost Averaging: Long-term SIPs smooth out market volatility and reduce the average cost of investments.

Compounding Effect: Staying invested for the long term allows your investments to benefit from the power of compounding.

Reduced Transaction Costs: Fewer switches mean lower transaction costs and taxes, enhancing your overall returns.

Role of a Certified Financial Planner
    Working with a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) can provide valuable guidance in implementing a Step-Up SIP strategy. Here’s how a CFP can assist:

Personalized Advice: A CFP offers tailored advice based on your financial goals, risk tolerance, and investment horizon.

Portfolio Review: They conduct regular portfolio reviews to ensure your investments align with your financial goals.

Tax Efficiency: A CFP helps you optimize your investments for tax efficiency, minimizing tax liabilities.

Managing Risk with Step-Up SIPs
    Risk management is crucial in any investment strategy. Here’s how Step-Up SIPs can help manage risk:

Diversification: Spread your investments across different asset classes and sectors to reduce risk.

Asset Allocation: Maintain a balanced asset allocation based on your risk tolerance and investment horizon.

Regular Monitoring: Keep track of your portfolio’s performance and make necessary adjustments to stay on track.

Tax Implications of Step-Up SIPs
    Step-Up SIPs can have tax implications, which need careful consideration:

Capital Gains Tax: Long-term and short-term capital gains tax apply to your investments based on the holding period.

Tax Planning: Collaborate with your CFP to plan your investments in a tax-efficient manner, optimizing your returns.

Aligning Investments with Financial Goals
    Aligning your investments with your financial goals is essential for success. Here’s how to do it with Step-Up SIPs:

Short-Term Goals: For goals within 2-4 years, consider funds with lower volatility and stable returns.

Medium-Term Goals: For goals within 5-7 years, a mix of equity and debt funds can balance risk and return.

Long-Term Goals: For goals beyond 7 years, equity funds with a proven track record of long-term performance are ideal.

Your strategy of discontinuing SIPs frequently might not be necessary. Instead, focus on monitoring fund performance and implementing a Step-Up SIP strategy for better averaging and compounding growth. Work with a Certified Financial Planner to align your investments with your financial goals and optimize your portfolio for long-term success.

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Jun 15, 2024

Hello i have completed b.tech in computer science recently i want to do masters in data science in france which university will be best for doing this course.
    Ans: Hello Akash,

To begin with, thank you for contacting us. I am happy to know that you have completed your Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Computer Science and aspire to pursue your Master’s in Data Science in France. As an answer to your query, I would like to let you know that a number of variables viz., the program’s particular focus, research possibilities, experience of the faculty members, as well as your personal preferences pertaining to location and medium of instruction, play a key role in selecting the ideal university for a Master's in Data Science in France. You would be glad to know that there are several prominent universities in France that are renowned for the excellent data science programs they offer. You can consider applying to Université Paris-Saclay, CentraleSupélec, École Polytechnique, ENS Paris-Saclay, INSA Lyon, Université Pierre et Marie Curie (UPMC), and Université de Paris.

When deciding on a university, I would suggest that you examine their websites, the course offerings, view the profiles of the teachers, and if possible, get in touch with alumni or students presently studying there in order to acquire firsthand experiences. Not just that, I would also recommend that you examine the prerequisites for admission, language competence requirements (a number of programs are in French, although some offer English-language choices), and possibilities for internships or partnerships with industrial partners. Remember that each university has its distinct strengths and areas of expertise, and thus, I would suggest that you match your hobbies and professional objectives with the course offerings.

For more information, you can visit our website: www.edwiseinternational.com

You can also follow us on our Instagram page: edwiseint

My daughter is doing PhD in ecology and wanted to pursue her career in outside country. Please advice.
    Ans: Hello SURESH,

First and foremost, thank you for getting in touch with us. I am happy to hear that your daughter is currently pursuing her PhD in Ecology after which she intends pursuing her career abroad. To answer your question first, I would like to tell you that for your daughter, pursuing an ecological profession overseas can be a fulfilling choice. As the first step, I would recommend that your daughter investigates institutions and organizations in countries renowned for robust ecological research programs, viz., Australia, the USA, Canada, or European nations viz., the Netherlands, Sweden, and Germany. Bear in mind that networking is essential, and for the same I would suggest that she participates in international conferences, joins professional organizations, and interacts with experts in her field. Your daughter can also think about aplying for postdoctoral jobs that can offer invaluable experience and assist her in buiding a professional network in a foreign nation.

Moreover, your daughter should learn about the particular prerequisites and prospects in the countries she’s considering. This entails acquainting herself with visa guidelines, possibilities for funding, and labor market trends. To further help her relocate, she can also apply for scholarships, bursaries, and fellowships from universities and international organizations. Furthermore, I would like to tell you that acquiring good linguistic abilities, if applicable, and comprehending the host country’s cultural and professional standards will be beneficial. All in all, your daughter has a much better chance of landing a job in ecology overseas if she takes a proactive and thoroughly researched approach.

Thank you for answering my query and appreciate for your perfect analysis. My another question in continuation, is my allocation of 4000 in Small cap; 3000 in Midcap & 2000 in large cap is the right combination for my daugter who is just 19 years old and earning 15K stipend with any financial burden or obligations? Please note: In case of any point of time, if she unble to meet her SIP for sometime 6-8 months due to her studies ( I can fill the gaps ).
    Ans: Thank you for your appreciation and kind words. It's wonderful to see your dedication to your daughter's financial future. Let's delve deeper into your question about the allocation strategy for her investments and address the concerns regarding potential gaps in SIP contributions due to her studies.

Assessing the Allocation Strategy
    Small Cap Funds: Rs 4,000/Month
    Growth Potential: Small cap funds have the potential for significant growth due to their exposure to emerging companies. These companies often have higher growth rates compared to larger, more established firms.

Risks: However, small cap funds are also highly volatile. Their performance can fluctuate significantly in the short term. Given her young age, she can afford to take on this risk for the potential of higher returns.

Mid Cap Funds: Rs 3,000/Month
    Balanced Growth: Mid cap funds offer a balance between growth and stability. These funds invest in companies that are past the initial growth phase but still have significant growth potential.

Moderate Risk: Mid cap funds are less volatile than small cap funds but more volatile than large cap funds. This makes them a good middle ground for balancing the portfolio's risk and return.

Large Cap Funds: Rs 2,000/Month
    Stability: Large cap funds provide stability to the portfolio. They invest in well-established companies that are typically less volatile.

Steady Returns: While the returns from large cap funds might not be as high as those from small or mid cap funds, they offer more predictable and steady growth over the long term.

Balanced Portfolio
    Diversification: Your proposed allocation of Rs 4,000 in small cap, Rs 3,000 in mid cap, and Rs 2,000 in large cap funds is well-balanced. It diversifies the portfolio across different market capitalizations, which can help mitigate risks and optimize returns.

Young Age Advantage: At 19, your daughter has a long investment horizon. This allows her to ride out market volatility and benefit from the compounding growth of her investments.

Managing Potential Gaps in SIP Contributions
    Understanding SIPs
    Systematic Investment Plans (SIPs): SIPs are a disciplined way to invest regularly in mutual funds. They help in averaging out the cost of investment and instill a habit of regular saving.

Flexibility: One of the significant advantages of SIPs is their flexibility. Investors can pause and resume their SIPs based on their financial situation.

Addressing Potential Gaps
    Temporary Pause: If your daughter needs to pause her SIPs for 6-8 months due to her studies, it won't negatively impact her overall investment strategy. Most mutual fund companies allow investors to pause and resume SIPs without penalties.

Parental Support: Since you mentioned that you can fill the gaps if needed, this adds an extra layer of security. Your support can ensure that her investment journey continues uninterrupted, even if she faces temporary financial constraints.

Long-Term Perspective: The key to successful investing is a long-term perspective. Temporary pauses in SIPs won't significantly affect the long-term growth of her portfolio, especially with your backing.

Importance of Regular Reviews and Adjustments
    Periodic Portfolio Review
    Regular Check-ins: It's essential to review the portfolio periodically. This helps in assessing the performance of the funds and making necessary adjustments.

Rebalancing: Depending on the market conditions and the performance of different fund categories, rebalancing the portfolio might be required. This ensures that the allocation remains aligned with the investment goals.

Certified Financial Planner (CFP): Working with a CFP can provide valuable insights and strategies. A CFP can help in monitoring the portfolio and making informed decisions based on market trends and individual financial goals.

Your approach to starting your daughter's investment journey with a diversified mutual fund portfolio is commendable. The proposed allocation of Rs 4,000 in small cap, Rs 3,000 in mid cap, and Rs 2,000 in large cap funds is well-thought-out. It balances growth potential with stability, making it suitable for her age and financial situation.

Understanding that she might need to pause her SIPs due to her studies is realistic. The flexibility of SIPs and your willingness to support her during these times will ensure her investment journey remains on track. Regular portfolio reviews and professional guidance will further enhance her financial growth and stability.

Your foresight in planning her financial future is impressive. By taking these steps, you are setting her on a path to long-term financial success.

My nephew is bachelor in arts with physical education having 50 % marks and is also a good gym trainer. He has special interest in body building also. He want to go to Australia or any other country for bright future. What should he do or for which couse/ country should apply. Pl guide
    First and foremost, thank you for contacting us. Given your nephew’s background in physical education and his interest in bodybuilding and gym training, he would have a solid foundation for further education and career opportunities abroad.
    Going further, let me tell you that he can choose to pursue an additional bachelor’s or go further with a master’s degree in exercise science or sports management. Australia is known for its robust sports programs and high-quality education. He can consider institutions like the Australian College of Physical Education (ACPE), Deakin University and the University of Queensland. He can also consider pursuing a degree in countries like the UK or Canada.
    Start by researching the program, making sure to meet the admission requirements, preparing application materials accordingly, and also considering scholarships. By pursuing further education abroad, your nephew can significantly enhance his expertise and career prospects in the field. Countries like Australia, the UK, and Canada offer exceptional growth and personal development in these areas.

For any further queries, please get in touch with us. We have a team of expert counsellors who can guide you through any concerns or questions you may have.

Website- https://www.edwiseinternational.com/

You can follow us on our Instagram page- @edwiseint