Tax Expert - Answered on Nov 21, 2023

Mihir Ashok Tanna, who works with a well-known chartered accountancy firm in Mumbai, has more than 15 years of experience in direct taxation.
He handles various kinds of matters related to direct tax such as PAN/ TAN application; compliance including ITR, TDS return filing; issuance/ filing of statutory forms like Form 15CB, Form 61A, etc; application u/s 10(46); application for condonation of delay; application for lower/ nil TDS certificate; transfer pricing and study report; advisory/ opinion on direct tax matters; handling various income-tax notices; compounding application on show cause for TDS default; verification of books for TDS/ TCS/ equalisation levy compliance; application for pending income-tax demand and refund; charitable trust taxation and compliance; income-tax scrutiny and CIT(A) for all types of taxpayers including individuals, firms, LLPs, corporates, trusts, non-resident individuals and companies.
Milan Question by Milan on Sep 23, 2023Hindi

What are tax implications of Investing and returns from start ups under AIF Cat1 for individual under both Resident , NRE & NRO accounts.

Ans: In category I of AIF, income would be pass through and taxed in the hands of Investor. Investor would pay tax on it as if it is directly invested. Receipt of income in NRE & NRO A/c will not change its taxability.

Anil

Anil Rego  |346 Answers  |Ask -

Financial Planner - Answered on Dec 17, 2020

I have invested in Alternative Investment Fund II (AIF ii). This AIF fund invests in real estate projects. My question is regarding tax treatment related to income from AIF II. Fund manager is currently deducting tax on gross basis on the income of the fund and not offsetting any expenses or management fees from the income.  What is going to be the treatment of such income in investors' hand? Can I offset management fees from the interest income of the fund? This management fee is charged by the fund for their services provided against the investment in the fund so I should be able to offset management fee and fund expenses from the income of the fund. Please advise Also, I want to check with you if i can offset the equalisation amount received with the equalisation amount paid. Currently the fund is not netting equalisation amount and deducting tax on equalisation amount received. Please provide details on tax treatment for AIF II funds. 
Ans: Any income earned by a SEBI registered category I and II AIF, is exempt from tax in the hands of AIF under section 10 (23FBA) of the Act. Such income shall be taxable directly in the hands of investors of the AIF under section 115UB of the Act.

• Any income distributed by fund is not liable of DDT
  • Any income distributed by fund, TDS of 10% has to be deducted by fund u/s 194 LBB
  • In case of losses, loss will be not be allowed to pass through investor but would be carried forward at AIF level to be set off against income of future years
  • No expense setting off is available

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. Few queries: 1) If I understood correctly, I will have no additional taxation if I am selling the Shares and Mutual fund, once I am in Resident Indian status and a LTCG of 10% will be cal calculated. But I was planning to invest in ETF in which I will be doing Swing trading, I wanted to know what is the tax implication on that being an NRI? 2) NRE FD is good option with tax free investement , but I came across the term that if your NRI status changes to resident , the resident interest rate and taxation will be calculated. This becomes a loss for me if I change my status in 1-2 years. I was thinking to invest in FD of small finavlce banks with 9% interest. Anyways taxation is 10% above 40000 interest earned. Your suggestions please. Thanks
Ans: Tax Implications on ETFs and Swing Trading: As an NRI, any income earned from securities transactions in India, including ETFs and swing trading, is subject to taxation. Short-term capital gains (STCG) from equity investments held for less than one year are taxed at 15% plus applicable surcharge and cess. However, if you become a resident Indian again, you'll be taxed as per the resident Indian tax laws, which include LTCG tax of 10% on equity investments held for over one year. It's essential to consult with a tax advisor to understand the specific implications of swing trading on your tax liability as an NRI.

NRE FDs vs. Small Finance Banks FDs: NRE fixed deposits offer the advantage of tax-free interest income and full repatriation of funds, making them an attractive option for NRIs. However, you rightly pointed out that if your residential status changes to resident Indian within 1-2 years, the interest rate and taxation will be recalculated based on resident rates. In such cases, investing in FDs of small finance banks with higher interest rates can be a viable alternative. While the interest earned above ?40,000 is subject to a 10% TDS, it's essential to consider factors like liquidity, safety, and the bank's credit rating before investing. Evaluate the interest rate differential and potential tax implications to make an informed decision based on your financial goals and risk tolerance.

Considering your investment horizon and financial objectives, it's advisable to consult with a financial advisor or tax consultant who can provide personalized guidance based on your specific situation and help optimize your investment strategy.

I am 42 and want to retire by 60, I have 10 lacs in MF, 10lac in equity, 50 lac in FD, 4cr in real estate land shops etc. I don't own a house. What should be my strategy from here my monthly expenditure is close to 2 lac.
Ans: Current Financial Overview
You are 42 years old. You want to retire by 60. You have Rs. 10 lakhs in mutual funds. You have Rs. 10 lakhs in equities. You have Rs. 50 lakhs in fixed deposits. Your real estate investments are worth Rs. 4 crores. You don't own a house. Your monthly expenditure is Rs. 2 lakhs.

Assessing Your Financial Position
Mutual Funds:

Rs. 10 lakhs in mutual funds.
This provides potential for growth.
Equities:

Rs. 10 lakhs in equities.
This is good for long-term growth.
Fixed Deposits:

Rs. 50 lakhs in fixed deposits.
Safe but with low returns.
Real Estate:

Rs. 4 crores in land and shops.
Significant value but not liquid.
Monthly Expenditure:

Rs. 2 lakhs per month.
High living expenses.

Keep at least 6 months of expenses.
This means Rs. 12 lakhs.
Diversify Investments:

Increase mutual fund investments.
Focus on large-cap and balanced funds.
Fixed Deposits:

Consider reducing FD amounts.
Reinvest in mutual funds for better returns.
Equities:

Continue with equity investments.
Diversify within sectors.
Real Estate:

Real estate is illiquid.
Consider selling some assets.
Reinvest proceeds in diversified mutual funds.
Calculate Retirement Corpus:

Aim for a substantial corpus.
This should cover post-retirement expenses.
Systematic Investment Plan (SIP):

Start SIPs in actively managed mutual funds.
This ensures disciplined investing.
Regular Review:

Review your portfolio every six months.
Adjust based on market conditions.
Expert Management:

Professionals manage actively managed funds.
They aim to outperform the market.
Better Returns:

Actively managed funds often give higher returns.
They adapt quickly to market changes.
No Outperformance:

Index funds mirror the market.
They can't outperform during good market phases.
Lack of Flexibility:

Index funds lack flexibility in volatile markets.
Complex Management:

Direct funds need more personal management.
Regular funds offer professional oversight.
Regular Funds Benefits:

Investing through MFD with CFP credential is beneficial.
They provide expert advice and management.
Owning a House
Consider Buying a House:

Owning a house gives stability.
It reduces future rent expenses.
Use Existing Assets:

Use some FD or real estate proceeds.
Fund the house purchase without heavy loans.
Utilise Tax Benefits:

Invest in tax-saving instruments.
Reduce taxable income and save more.
To retire by 60, focus on diversified investments. Ensure an emergency fund. Increase mutual fund investments. Consider selling some real estate. Reinvest proceeds wisely. Buy a house for stability. Review your portfolio regularly. Consult a Certified Financial Planner for personalized advice. Stay disciplined and focused on your financial goals.