Financial Planner - Answered on Jul 23, 2023

Colonel Sanjeev Govila (retd) is the founder of Hum Fauji Initiatives, a financial planning company dedicated to the armed forces personnel and their families.

Suggest an MF where I can invest a lump sump of 50K to 1Lakh for next 10 years

Ans: Our investment decisions should be matched with our risk appetite and investment horizon.

You can invest in a good Mid or Small Cap Fund if you have a time period of 10 years and a matching risk profile. PGIM India Mid Cap Opportunities Fund/Nippon India Small Cap Fund would be good options for you. In the initial 3 years, you might face negative returns as equity oriented funds are very volatile in the short term but you can expect the returns ranges between 12% to 15% in 10 years of investment horizon.

I am 50... I want to invest 10k every month in different mf. Can you suggest
Ans: Crafting a Diversified Mutual Fund Investment Plan
Investing in mutual funds can be a prudent strategy to build wealth over the long term. Let's design a portfolio that suits your needs.

Understanding Your Investment Objectives
Genuine Compliments: It's inspiring to see your commitment to investing even at the age of 50. Your proactive approach towards securing your financial future is commendable.

Empathy and Understanding: I understand that at this stage of life, you may have specific financial goals and risk tolerance levels that we need to consider while designing your investment plan.

Assessing Investment Options
Benefits of Actively Managed Funds: Actively managed funds offer the expertise of professional fund managers who actively select investments to outperform the market.

Disadvantages of Index Funds: While index funds offer low fees, they passively track a market index, limiting potential for outperformance and customization.

Regular Funds Investing through MFD with CFP Credential: Working with a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) who specializes in mutual funds can provide personalized guidance and ongoing portfolio management.

Building a Diversified Portfolio
Equity Funds: Allocate a portion of your investment to equity funds to capture the potential for long-term capital appreciation, albeit with higher volatility.

Debt Funds: Diversify your portfolio with debt funds to provide stability and generate regular income, especially as you approach retirement age.

Balanced Funds: Consider investing in balanced funds, which provide a mix of equity and debt exposure, suitable for investors seeking a balanced risk-return profile.

By diversifying your investments across different mutual fund categories and seeking guidance from a Certified Financial Planner, you can build a robust portfolio that aligns with your financial goals and risk tolerance.

Age: 44years. Please suggest a MF which works best for retirement, child's education and long term capital appreciation. I could invest lumpsum Rs 100000/
Ans: Planning for Your Future: Retirement, Education & Growth
At 44, you're making a smart move by planning for your future goals: retirement, child's education, and long-term wealth creation. A single mutual fund might not be the best fit for all these needs, but let's explore some options:

Diversification is Key

Since your goals have different time horizons (retirement is farther away than your child's education), it's wise to diversify your investments. This means spreading your money across different asset classes to manage risk.

Actively Managed Funds for Growth

Given your long-term perspective and willingness to take on some risk, actively managed funds can be a good option. Here's why:

Outperforming the Market: Actively managed funds have fund managers who try to pick promising stocks and beat the market average. This has the potential for higher returns compared to passively managed options like index funds.
Matching Risk to Goals

Here's a possible approach to consider, but remember, this is general advice:

Retirement (Long Term): Invest a larger portion (say 60-70%) in aggressive actively managed funds like multi-cap funds. These invest in a mix of large, mid, and small-cap companies, offering growth potential along with diversification.

Child's Education (Mid Term): Allocate a mid-range portion (say 20-30%) to a balanced actively managed fund. These funds balance between equity and debt, offering some growth potential with a lower risk profile compared to aggressive funds.

Remember, your situation is unique. A Certified Financial Planner (CFP) can help you create a personalized asset allocation plan based on your risk tolerance and specific goals.

Rs. 1 Lakh Lump Sum Investment

A lump sum investment of Rs. 1 lakh can be a great way to jumpstart your investment journey. Consider investing across different actively managed funds based on your asset allocation plan.

Regular Investment (SIP) is Powerful

Don't stop with the lump sum! Regular investments (SIPs) can be a powerful tool for long-term wealth creation. Even a small amount invested regularly can benefit from rupee-cost averaging, where you purchase more units when the price is low and fewer units when the price is high.

A CFP Can Help You:

Choose the Right Funds: They can recommend actively managed funds with a good track record and experienced fund managers.

Asset Allocation: They can advise on the right mix of asset classes (multi-cap, balanced, etc.) for your goals.

Review and Rebalance: A CFP will monitor your progress and adjust your asset allocation as needed to stay on track.

Taking Charge of Your Tomorrow

By planning and investing for your future, you're taking control of your tomorrow. Actively managed funds within a diversified portfolio can be a powerful tool for growth, but remember, they also carry risk. A CFP can help you navigate your options and make informed investment decisions.

I am about 68 year's I have two sons who are married via arranged process. My younger son's wife is educated teacher. But she had a torturous up bring during high school days. Leading to least interest in married life after marriage. She deserted my son soon after marriage. This led to break down in marriage now heading for a divorce. Please advise.
Ans: It sounds like a deeply painful situation for everyone involved, especially considering the emotional trauma your daughter-in-law experienced during her formative years.

It's important to recognize that individuals who have gone through traumatic experiences in their youth can carry emotional wounds that affect their relationships later in life. These scars may manifest in ways that make it difficult for them to fully engage in marital life or maintain a healthy relationship.

In situations like these, it’s crucial to approach with empathy and understanding. Your daughter-in-law’s decision to desert your son and pursue divorce likely stems from her own internal struggles and emotional turmoil. It’s not a reflection of your son’s worth or efforts within the marriage.

Moving forward, it might be helpful for your son to focus on his own healing and well-being. Encouraging him to seek support from friends, family, or a professional counselor can provide him with a safe space to process his emotions and navigate this challenging transition.

As a family, offering unconditional support and empathy to both your son and daughter-in-law can create an environment where healing and understanding can begin. It’s important to respect each individual’s journey and decisions while also recognizing the need for compassion during this difficult time.

Hi, I am 40 yr old woman. I am staying with my husband who always doubt me without any reason. As he is dependent on me. He is jobless from last 5 yr. I am the only earning person I don't have any type of attitude. While balancing professional as well as personal life I use to listen his bitter words every day. Not only that he started beating me like anything Just coz of so-called reputation I tolerate him. But 7 months back I came across with a man in my life we both started liking each other, I shared everything with him. But he left his job due to some issues with manager and started working somewhere else. He started ignoring me. Please help me out to understand what is right and wrong in this?
Ans: Balancing the pressures of professional life with the strain of an abusive marriage is a heavy burden, and you deserve to feel safe, respected, and valued.

Your husband's behavior—doubting you without cause, subjecting you to daily verbal abuse, and physically harming you—is deeply troubling and completely unacceptable. It's important to acknowledge that no matter the circumstances, you do not deserve to be treated this way. The fear of societal judgment and concerns about reputation are common reasons people stay in harmful relationships, but your well-being and safety are far more important than maintaining appearances.

Meeting someone who offers emotional support when you’re in such a painful situation is understandable. It’s natural to seek comfort and a connection when you're feeling isolated and mistreated. However, the new man's recent behavior, where he started ignoring you after changing jobs, might feel like another layer of abandonment. This is especially tough because you opened up and shared your struggles with him, hoping for understanding and companionship.

In terms of what’s right and wrong, it's essential to focus on your needs and well-being. Staying in an abusive relationship is harmful to your physical and emotional health. You have the right to seek safety and happiness. The relationship with the new man might have provided temporary emotional relief, but it seems he's not able to be the supportive presence you hoped for, especially now when he’s pulling away.
Right now, focus on what you need to feel safe and supported. Consider reaching out to trusted friends, family, or professional services who can help you navigate this challenging time. You deserve a life free from fear and filled with respect and care. Prioritizing your own happiness and safety is the most important step forward.