Tax Expert - Answered on Dec 06, 2023

Mihir Tanna has more than 10 years of experience in direct taxation, including filing income tax returns.
George Question by George on Aug 23, 2023Translate

Am salaried earning around 50k per month, apart from this am getting a remuneration of Rs. 6000/- per month under section 194J, the company says its mandatory to deduct tax of 10%. Is there any form which can be submitted, so that 10% is not deducted on monthly remuneration. Am not attracting any tax as have home loan, tution fees , investments, medical insurance and NPS.

Ans: You can file application online at Traces portal in Form 13 for obtaining NIL TDS certificate from TDS officer.

Tax Expert - Answered on Mar 13, 2023

Asked by Anonymous - Mar 06, 2023Translate
Dear Mihir, My income is 13.66 lac per annum. My company has been deducting TDS to an extent of 2 lac . I fail to understand the reason. My house rent & electricity bill is getting paid by the company. House rent is shown as rent allowance in the pay slip & electricity bill is paid upon furnishing the bill every month. They say that these are perquisites and are taxable. I have not been told before about the same. Please guide me. This is what they are showing...Please help me in saving this tax...I am clue less about this. Please find your Tax Calculation Sheet below.  Income Tax Computations With Rent/Without Perquisites With out Rent/With Perquisites Gross Salary (includes Employer contribution to NPS **) 1415198 1320496 Exemptions U/s 10   House Rent Allowance 101999 0 Gross Salary after Section 10 Exemptions 1313199 1320496 Deduction U/s 16 Standard Deduction (Sec 16 ia) 50000 50000 Professional Tax (Sec 16 iii) 2400 2400 Gross Total Income 1260799 1268096 Deductions under chapter VI-A     Investments  ( Sec 80C) 150000 150000     Contribution to NPS (Sec 80CCD (1b) 10000 10000     Medical Insurance Premium (Sec 80D) 15000 15000     Total 175000 175000 Net taxable income 1085800 1093100 Tax on Total Income ( as per applicable slabs)     Income Liable to Tax at Normal Rate 138240 140429     Short Term Capital Gains (Charged @ 15%) 0 0     Long Term Capital Gains (Charged  @ 20%) 0 0     Long Term Capital Gains (Charged @ 10%) 0 0     Winnings from Lottery (Charged @ 30%) 0 0 Total Tax Due 138240 140429 Surcharge on Tax 0 0 Education Cess @4% 5530 5617 Total Tax Due 143770 146046 Less Tax Deducted Till Date- Employer 51000 51000          Other TDS deduction    0 0 Balance Tax to be deducted 92770 95046 Remaining months in the Year 2 2 Tax Per Month 46385 47523 Old Regime Old Regime
Ans: If rent and electricity is paid by the company, it is considered as perquisites. To save tax, you can invest additional 40k in NPS, you can pay additional mediclaim premium.
Tejas

Tejas Chokshi  |126 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on Apr 18, 2023

I'm a Legal professional engaged as a Consultant with a Company and getting INR 1,50,000/- per month (Annual - INR 18.00 Lakh) as Consultancy Fee. In addition to Consultancy Fee., I've been provided with free accommodation in the township. the value of accommodation as per IT Act/Rules is assessed at INR 9,500/- per month (Annual - 1,14,000/). TDS is also deducted !10% on the Consultancy Fee as also on free accommodation under Section 194R (perquisites). My Total Income from Professional is !8 Lakh + 1.14 Lakh (value of perquisites) = 19.14 Lakh. Am I required to get registration under GST and raise GST Invoice on the Company? Kindly clarify. Shall be grateful for the help. Regards, Rakesh Tiwari
Ans: Dear Rakesh, Basis your question, let us unbundle the situation , one after the other.

1) I have understood that you are not an "employee" of the company and so, provisions of "Income under the head Salaries" under the provisions of the Income - Tax Act, 1961 of India, would not be attracted. And so, your income won't fall under the head salaries.

2) Again, as mentioned by you, the TDS is deducted under @10.00% on consultancy fees (under provisions of Sec 194J ) and also on free accommodation.

Section 194 R is a newly inserted section, and it is applicable from July 1, 2022. The wording of this section reads, ... It mandates a person responsible for providing any benefit or perquisite to a resident to deduct tax at source at a rate of 10% of the value or aggregate value of such benefit or perquisite before providing it to the resident......

.......The provision of this section shall not apply to an individual or a Hindu Undivided Family (HUF) whose total turnover/sales/receipt doesn’t exceed INR 1 crore in case of business or INR 50 lakh in case of profession....

TDS deducted under provisions of Sec 194R itself infer that, you are not an employee of the company, else the TDS of such "benefits" would have been deducted under provisons of "Salaries".

In most cases, the deductor of the tax may not be aware about the actual income of yours ( since you are a lawyer, TDS @ 10.00% under section 194R would not have been deducted, if the income from profession is less than ₹50.00 lacs per annum. The deductor might felt to comply with these provisions and may have deducted the TDS AT 10.00% }

To summarise, as explained above,

a. Your income from consultancy fees and as consultant is liable to be taxed under the provisions of "Income from Business Profession" { Section 28 of Income tax Act, 1961}, considering the fact you are a legal professional and getting consultancy fees is your main source of income, under normal course of business.

b. You can claim other legitimate expenses against this income, which you might have incurred to earn this income, as legitimate deduction. Eg. conveyance expenses, stationery expenses, salary payment to your staff,electricity bill, etc.

3) Coming to GST provisions:

There a concept of reverse charge in case of GST , which is applicable to certain class of service providers and legal professional is one of them. As per my reading of the law, if legal services are provided to a corporate body with turnover exceeding Rs 40 lakh, then GST is applicable on reverse charge basis. You are requested to verify, if the consultancy provided by you as consultant to the receiver of the serivices is a corporate & whoes turnover exceeds ₹40.00 Lacs, then, then, it would be the responsibility of the receiver of the services, to honour the GST liability arriving due to payment of consultancy fees to you , as a legal professional, under reverse charge mechanism & if the turnover of such service recipient, is less than ₹40.00 Lacs & if the total receipt under business professional of the service provider exceeds ₹20.00 Lacs, then it is mandatory to obtain GST registration and the onus to collect the GST from the service receiver lies with the servicer provider and to pay to the exchequer.

In either case, GST registration is mandatory, once the turnover exceeds ₹20.00 Lacs in a particular financial year.

I will be retiring in October 2024 and expecting a retirement corpus of Rs 80 lakh. I would be spending 60 per cent of this amount on my son’s medical admission and studies. How should I invest the rest in different sectors to earn monthly income of nearly about 40,000?
Ans: Given your retirement corpus of Rs 80 lakh and your plan to allocate 60% of it towards your son's medical admission and studies, which amounts to Rs 48 lakh, you'll have Rs 32 lakh remaining for investment. To generate a monthly income of approximately Rs 40,000, you'll need to carefully plan your investment strategy. Here's a suggested approach:

1. Assess Your Risk Tolerance: Before investing, consider your risk tolerance, investment horizon, and financial goals. Since you're retiring soon and seeking a regular monthly income, it's advisable to focus on relatively stable and income-generating investment options.

2. Allocate Funds: With Rs 32 lakh available for investment, you can allocate the amount across different investment instruments to achieve diversification and manage risk.

3 Income-Generating Investments: To generate a monthly income of Rs 40,000, you'll need investments that offer regular payouts. Here are some options to consider:

a. Senior Citizen Savings Scheme (SCSS): This government-backed savings scheme offers quarterly interest payouts. You can invest up to Rs 15 lakh individually and earn regular income at a fixed interest rate, currently around 7.4% per annum.

b. Post Office Monthly Income Scheme (POMIS): Another government-backed scheme that provides monthly income. The maximum investment limit is Rs 4.5 lakh for an individual account and Rs 9 lakh for a joint account. The current interest rate is around 6.6% per annum.

c. Fixed Deposits (FDs): Consider investing a portion of your corpus in fixed deposits offered by banks or financial institutions. Opt for monthly interest payout FDs to generate regular income.

d. Debt Mutual Funds: Invest a portion in debt mutual funds that focus on generating steady income with relatively lower risk compared to equity funds. Choose funds with a track record of consistent returns and low expense ratios.

4. Systematic Withdrawal Plan (SWP): For investments in mutual funds or other growth-oriented instruments, consider setting up a systematic withdrawal plan. SWP allows you to withdraw a fixed amount regularly, which can serve as your monthly income.

5. Emergency Fund: Set aside a portion of your corpus as an emergency fund to cover unexpected expenses or contingencies. This fund should be easily accessible and parked in liquid or low-risk instruments like savings accounts or liquid funds.

6. Review and Adjust: Regularly review your investment portfolio to ensure it remains aligned with your financial goals and income requirements. Adjust your asset allocation and investment strategy as needed based on changing market conditions and personal circumstances.

It's crucial to consult with a financial advisor or planner who can provide personalised advice based on your specific situation and goals. They can help you create a comprehensive retirement plan and investment strategy tailored to your needs, risk tolerance, and income requirements. Additionally, consider tax implications on your investment income and consult with a tax advisor to optimise your tax efficiency.