Nikunj

Nikunj Saraf  |308 Answers  |Ask -

Mutual Funds Expert - Answered on Feb 16, 2023

Vasu Question by Vasu on Feb 13, 2023Translate

I own a flat gifted to me by my Patents Can I get a loan against it? If so how much ? The govt. valuation of the flat is approx 35 Lakhs Can I sell the flat if I want to? If so for how much maximum value?

Ans: Hello Vasu, please consult your Chartered Accountant for the same.

Tax Expert - Answered on Sep 29, 2022

Dear Mr Mihir, I would like to know the following points: I bought a flat in Thane - 400603 @ rs.one lakh in Dec.'1983 & would like to sell now this year 2022 @ rs.64 lakhs. Pl. let me know the amount of Property Gain Tax (Long Term) which I have to pay now considering 'Ready Reckoner Rate' at Thane - 400603 area or how to calculate the same to get taxable amount? Also can I (as Sr. Ctzn.) get a tax exemption as I already bought (in joint ownership where my wife is 1st owner) another flat @ rs.75 lakh in Thane in Nov '2020? May I invest taxable amount (if any) in Govt. Bonds like NHAI / REC / PFC to get tax exemption & what interest I will get for how many yrs. or else if it will be better to invest my selling amount in good Flexi Cap Mutual Funds for 5 years after paying entire taxable amount to recover the same? Will appreciate your prompt feedback in detail.
Ans: Capital gain on sale consideration will be reduced by Indexed cost of acquisition and allowable expenses incurred on transfer. You have to calculate indexed cost of acquisition by applying Cost Inflation Index as per prescribed formula on cost of acquisition.

For cost of acquisition, you may take actual cost or fair market value of the asset, as on 01.04.2001.

In case of land and building, fair market value on 01.04.2001 cannot exceed stamp duty value as on 01.04.2001.

Exemption is available if amount of capital gain is invested by purchasing a new residential house within one year before or within 2 years after the date of transfer of the residential house.

As you have already got possession of new property in November 2020, you will not be eligible for exemption.

Decision of investment in specified bonds or acquiring tax mutual funds can be taken after considering several factors like risk appetite, amount of tax liability on capital gain, availability of surplus fund etc.

Mahesh

Mahesh Padmanabhan  |120 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on May 20, 2023

Sir, On 14-June 1994, I acquired a flat (tenement) in my own name for Rs. 2,98L. In April 2015, I had to spend Rs. 4.15L on general renovation of this flat. Now, I plan to sell this tenement and wish to invest its sale proceeds within two years of the sale in buying a ready possession flat in another city. My queries are follows: 1. Can I invest the sale proceeds in buying two flats in the same society of the new city or do I have to necessarily invest in one property only? 2. Can I add the name of my spouse and my son also as co-owners in the new property(s) even if their financial contribution is nil? 3. Can I add the name of my spouse and my son also as co-owners in the new property(s) in case they also partially contribute financially in the purchase of the new flat(s)? 4. What is the present applicable Indexed Cost of the flat planned to be sold by me?
Ans: Hi Thomas
As the base year for Cost Inflation Index (CII) has been reset to 2001, you may need to get a valuation done through an approved valuer to identify the value as on April 1, 2001. If this value is higher than Rs. 2.98 Lakhs then you could use that as the cost.

As regards the general renovation amount spent, it may not be allowed to be added as cost of the property as generally tax officers are not dispensed to allow it.

W.R.T. your decision to reinvest in a ready possession flat within 2 years, please note that if this investment is extending beyond 6 months OR due date for filing your tax returns (whichever is earlier), you would need to open a Capital Gain Account Scheme (CGAS) account with a nationalized bank and park the capital gain amount in it for reinvestment.

Now answering your queries

Query 1 - If the capital gain amount does not exceed Rs. 2 Crores then you could reinvest in 2 residential units. This however is a one time option and cannot be used again in any other year.

Query 2 - Yes you could add their names but they would be treated as name-sake owners and for all purposes of taxation, you would be taxed singly.

Query 3 - You can add their name as proportionate owners to the value of their contribution. The taxation of income in that case would be based on their contribution

Query 4 - The answer to this would depend on the valuation report. Nevertheless, you could derive the indexed cost yourself by multiplying a factor of 3.48 to the cost. An example would be as follows:

Suppose the cost is Rs. 2.98 Lakhs
Indexed cost would be Rs. 2.98 Lakhs x 348 / 100 OR 2.98 Lakhs x 3.48 = Rs. 10.37 Lakhs

What are balanced advantage funds and would you recommend how I should go about investing in such funds?
Ans: Balanced Advantage Funds are a type of mutual fund that dynamically manages the allocation between equity and debt instruments based on market conditions. These funds aim to provide investors with a balance between growth (through equity exposure) and stability (through debt exposure). The allocation between equity and debt is adjusted by fund managers based on various factors such as market valuations, interest rates, and economic indicators.

Here's a breakdown of the key features and considerations for investing in Balanced Advantage Funds:

1. Dynamic Asset Allocation: These funds have the flexibility to shift allocation between equity and debt depending on market conditions. When equity markets are expensive or overvalued, the fund manager may reduce equity exposure and increase allocation to debt instruments, and vice versa.

2. Risk Management: Balanced Advantage Funds tend to offer lower volatility compared to pure equity funds due to their ability to switch between asset classes based on market conditions. This can potentially reduce downside risk during market downturns.

3. Goal-based Investing: They can be suitable for investors with medium to long-term investment horizons who seek a balance between capital appreciation and capital preservation. These funds are often used for goals like retirement planning or wealth creation with a moderate risk profile.

4. Professional Management: Investors benefit from the expertise of professional fund managers who actively manage the asset allocation and investment decisions based on thorough research and analysis.

5. Tax Implications: From a taxation perspective, gains from equity investments held for more than one year are taxed at a lower rate (long-term capital gains tax), whereas gains from debt investments held for more than three years are taxed as per the investor's income tax slab. Balanced Advantage Funds may offer tax efficiency due to their equity exposure.

6. Expense Ratio: Investors should consider the expense ratio of the fund, which represents the annual fees charged by the fund house for managing the fund. Lower expense ratios can enhance returns over the long term.

As for whether you should invest in Balanced Advantage Funds, it depends on your investment objectives, risk tolerance, and financial goals.

If you're seeking a balanced approach with the potential for higher returns than pure debt funds but with lower volatility compared to pure equity funds, then these funds could be suitable for you. However, it's essential to consult with a financial advisor who can assess your individual circumstances and recommend the most appropriate investment strategy.

If you decide to invest in Balanced Advantage Funds, you can do so through various platforms such as mutual fund distributors, online investment platforms, or directly through the fund house's website. Here's a general guide on how to invest:

1. Research: Understand the different Balanced Advantage Funds available in the market, their investment objectives, performance track record, and expense ratios.

2. Select a Fund: Choose a fund that aligns with your investment goals, risk tolerance, and time horizon.

3. KYC Compliance: Complete the Know Your Customer (KYC) process as required by regulatory guidelines. This typically involves providing identity and address proof documents.

4. Investment Process: Decide on the mode of investment, whether lump sum or systematic investment plan (SIP), based on your convenience and investment strategy.

5. Online Platform or Distributor: If investing through an online platform, create an account and follow the instructions to invest in your chosen Balanced Advantage Fund. If using a mutual fund distributor, approach them with your investment decision, and they will assist you with the investment process.

6. Monitor and Review: Keep track of your investments periodically and review your portfolio to ensure it remains aligned with your financial goals.

Remember that all investments carry some level of risk, including the potential loss of capital. Diversification and a long-term investment approach are generally recommended to mitigate risk and achieve your financial objectives.

Good Morning, We are married for almost 27 years and at various stages of my wife like, beginning days when Girls had dream of her happy married life beginning, honeymoon, pregnancy, fostering the child, mid-age crisis and now Menopause I have been very unfair & sometime very cruel to my wife. I am tryint to please her in my possible ways but whenever I am planning something exciting & pleasurable for her it turn out to be flop show & nightmare. I want her to be happy but don't know why it gets spoiled due to one or other reason. Despite of all this she is always giving me chance and prepare herself for new beginning. But now I fear & feel gradually I will become a big liability on her, health wise as I am diabetic and even after taking high dose of medicines it doesn't get controlled. I am worried that though the beginning was not good our end should be Peaceful & graceful. Need your guidance
No point revisiting what has already happened. It seems like your wife wants a new beginning; then why not actually plan on how you want your life together to be from now on? What are the things that you have missed out on earlier, bring it all back and slowly start experiencing what life could be living in that harmony...
As for diabetes, getting the right medicine and taking it in the right dosage is important to see a change. Also, exercise, attempt to keep stress levels low and eat right...these help in keeping your blood sugar levels low...
Don't talk about the END when there is a NEW beginning in sight...