Tax Expert - Answered on Sep 29, 2022

Mihir Tanna has more than 10 years of experience in direct taxation, including filing income tax returns.
Durga Question by Durga on Sep 29, 2022Translate

Dear Mr Tanna,

Before soliciting your sincere opinion I must first congratulate and compliment you for the benevolent job being done to alleviate the problems being faced by the solo taxpayers from the pounce of the IT Office. I would request you to go through my problem which is very much exhaustive and moreover disheartening for the busy people like you.

I am a retd employee from LIC in the FY 2020/21. In FY 2021/22 I had received arrears of salary along with commutation of pension and leave encashment. The employer while finalizing the IT for 2021/22 had deducted IT giving the exemption for comm pension, 80CC and 80D without the benefit under sec 89. While filing IT I could see the effect of AIS. Without any further deduction except under 80 TTB, I tried to confirm the Total Taxable Income as per 26AS/AIS.

The self-assessed tax was to be paid on three dates because of the ATM limit etc. The last payment which was on 28th July, could not be successful and was debited on 29th as a result I could not add the CIN No etc., on the Add box of tax payment. Since the total amount of tax was paid before the last date i.e 31st I did submit a short paid ITR presuming it would be taken care of.

On 1st Aug I received a message under sec 143 with a demand due for 4660/. The e-file status was showing the ITR is under process with O/S demand Nil (four Green tick was displayed). Till Aug 30th when I found the ITR is not accepted despite the grievances as cited above, again I paid the balance amount going thru the demand due option, there also I faced the same problem from bank. The amount could be debited on 31St Aug. I did pay the amount thinking the ITR and tax deposit are different Module.

Moreover after filing ITR I made a query with the ITO regarding exemption of Transfer grant which should have been allowed at source. They denied it under pretext that no further exemption after filling.

In order to see the last payment due appear under SAT head I had submitted a grievance which was not seen till I spoke to the help desk. One reply came with so many tags to file revised IT under section 131 (5). While I visited for re-file, I could see the interest amount along with an increased taxable income thus returned back.

Now my questions are:

1. How the taxable income would vary when a letter under 143 is issued with a demand?

2. If I am to re-submit the ITR under Sec 131 (5) can I restrict the taxable income to the earlier one?

3. Can they alter the taxable income when Sec 143 is invoked?

4. Finally, should I conform to the query or wait till they make their earlier demand set right.

Sir I had filled it by myself without the help of a professional. Your opinion would be mostly an antidote against the IT virus that has made me upset. Eagerly awaiting your reply.

Ans: Thank you so much for your compliment. Looking at your facts, I wish you could have got professional advice on 1st August itself. My views on your queries are as follows:

1. I understand you are using online feature of filing Income Tax Return at www.incometax.gov.in wherein data is prefilled based on information reported by different persons (like employer for salary, bank for interest income, company for dividend income, TDS deductor for TDS deducted and amount of income credited, etc.). In your case, it might be possible that reportable entity has revised its data for reporting to income tax department and accordingly amount appearing in intimation issued u/s 143(1) differs from amount auto populated while filing income tax return u/s 139(5) of Income Tax Act using online feature.
  1. It is not advisable to restrict auto populated income unless income auto populated at e-filing portal is incorrect. Check AIS for income auto populated at e-filing portal. If income appearing in AIS is incorrect, you can file feedback for AIS and offer actual income to tax while filing return u/s 139(5) of the act which allow tax payer to revise return by rectifying mistakes.
  1. Yes, income tax provides updated figure at portal even if intimation is issued u/s 143(1) of the Act, as revised figures is provided by the payer of income or person authorised as reportable entity.  
  1. I understand you are talking about self-assessment tax paid by you and not auto populated in relevant schedule of ITR. Reason for the same can be wrong selection of year or code while making payment or while uploading challan details by the bank. Please check 26AS for self-assessment tax paid, if the same is not appearing in 26AS of AY 2022-23, you have to discuss said issue with Jurisdictional officer.

Tax Expert - Answered on Oct 20, 2022

Please provide correct advice in the following situation. We filed ROI for AY 2019-20 on 30-10-2019 and paid a tax amount of Rs 1,20,03,465/- under section 115JB. Above return was processed u/s 143 (1) by intimation dated 19-05-2020. The Company has deposited Advance tax of Rs. 40, 00,000/- and ITR -6 for AY 2019-20 was filed under Section 139 on 30-10-2019 to obviate any violation in Tax compliance including the TDS claim of Rs. 87,29,484/-. In the Intimation order the assessing officer had accepted the income and other claims of the Appellant but had demanded Rs 97,85,148/- as balance tax and interest. During the Assessment Year relevant to Previous Year 2018-19, the land under the ownership of the Assessee has been taken over by the Government for Guruvayur Dewaswam (GD). LA compensation of Rs.38565360/- (on 5- 2-2018), Rs.4,00,00,000/- (on 4-2-2019), and Rs.48,28,009/- on19-11-2020 were paid to the Petitioner Company. Deductor, GD did not deposit the TDS to government in relevant years, this resulted in the demand of Rs. 97,85,148/- on Company towards balance tax and interest in the intimation u/s 143 (1) dated 19-05-2020. GD deposited Rs.95,02,088 /- towards TDS and Rs.21, 25,421 /-towards TDS and interest on 30-1-2021 and filed TDS return for the Assessment Year 2021-22. (not AY 2019-20). Deductor is delaying filing revised TDS return in spite of many requests even by Income tax authorities. Can the Income tax department seek to recover Income tax with fine from Company for AY 2019-20, on mere fact that Petitioner could not account for deposit of such tax (TDS) (Rs.87,29,484/-, only because the deductor, after paying the compensation to Petitioner in relevant year, did not deposit TDS to government revenue? Should the assessee suffer for the fault of the deductor? We understand There is a bar under Section 205 and circular of CBDT in this matter.
Ans: If TDS is deducted and there was delay in depositing TDS, said TDS amount cannot be recovered from deductee. There are some judicial pronouncements for the same which provides relief to taxpayer (deductee). But in given case, I understand that it is not case of delay but amount credited in different year.

In such a case, you can request to jurisdictional officer to provide credit of TDS in the year in which income is offered to tax though TDS is appearing in 26AS of subsequent year and it can be subject to litigation.

Tax Expert - Answered on Nov 02, 2022

I have filed my ITR-1 for AY 21-22 in time. Demand was raised on 14 Jan for Rs 1,690 on processing of my ITR. a) I have paid the amount on 27 May, 2022 through net banking against challan no 10574. BSR code 0510308. I have erroneously paid Rs 1,690 in serial 300 (self-assessment) instead of SL 400. The amount remains to be shown outstanding in mine account and acceptance of return remains pending. I have tried to correct the SL 400 through my PAN account but I have not been successful in changing serial. In rectification icon this amount of Rs 1690 is not shown because only payments prior to submission of ITR are only shown. However, this Rs 1,690 is shown in it is shown in 26As. So I have not been able to change to SL 400 instead of SL 300. b) I requested for reprocess of ITR so that this amount may get reflected and ITR will be accepted. After reprocessing request amount has been reduced to Rs 1,230. But ITR has not been accepted. It is showing with additional interest of Rs 108 as on today. c) Additionally Rs.1690 + Rs 112 has been deducted from refund of next year return on 14 September 22. This is also reflected in 26AS d) Therefore I have paid Rs1690 through net banking challan plus Rs 1,690 through deduction from refund plus Rs 112 as interest. Total payment made 1,690+1,690+112 = Rs 3,492. Whereas I am required to pay only Rs 1,230. e) ITR still outstanding and not accepted till date and amount of Rs 1,230 is reflected unpaid. Sir my query is: a) Am I required to pay amount Rs 1,230 + interest? After the re- processing, despite having paid Rs 1,690 against initial demand by net banking plus there has been deduction from refunds. i.e. twice if I ask for re-processing? b) Now that amount has been paid. What action I need to take to complete the processing of ITR.
Ans: If tax demand is paid after 30 days, income tax charge interest @1%. I understand that Rs 112 is interest charged for late payment of tax demand and all other demands are not valid. Such demand can be deleted by filing application u/s 154 of the income tax act.

Check e-filing portal “outstanding demand” tab. If rectification rights are with CPC, you can request CPC Customer Care to transfer ITR to assessing officer.

Once the case is transferred, you can explain the issue to jurisdictional officer, request officer to pass rectification order as mistake is appearing from records and issue refund for wrongly adjustment of next year refund.

What are balanced advantage funds and would you recommend how I should go about investing in such funds?
Ans: Balanced Advantage Funds are a type of mutual fund that dynamically manages the allocation between equity and debt instruments based on market conditions. These funds aim to provide investors with a balance between growth (through equity exposure) and stability (through debt exposure). The allocation between equity and debt is adjusted by fund managers based on various factors such as market valuations, interest rates, and economic indicators.

Here's a breakdown of the key features and considerations for investing in Balanced Advantage Funds:

1. Dynamic Asset Allocation: These funds have the flexibility to shift allocation between equity and debt depending on market conditions. When equity markets are expensive or overvalued, the fund manager may reduce equity exposure and increase allocation to debt instruments, and vice versa.

2. Risk Management: Balanced Advantage Funds tend to offer lower volatility compared to pure equity funds due to their ability to switch between asset classes based on market conditions. This can potentially reduce downside risk during market downturns.

3. Goal-based Investing: They can be suitable for investors with medium to long-term investment horizons who seek a balance between capital appreciation and capital preservation. These funds are often used for goals like retirement planning or wealth creation with a moderate risk profile.

4. Professional Management: Investors benefit from the expertise of professional fund managers who actively manage the asset allocation and investment decisions based on thorough research and analysis.

5. Tax Implications: From a taxation perspective, gains from equity investments held for more than one year are taxed at a lower rate (long-term capital gains tax), whereas gains from debt investments held for more than three years are taxed as per the investor's income tax slab. Balanced Advantage Funds may offer tax efficiency due to their equity exposure.

6. Expense Ratio: Investors should consider the expense ratio of the fund, which represents the annual fees charged by the fund house for managing the fund. Lower expense ratios can enhance returns over the long term.

As for whether you should invest in Balanced Advantage Funds, it depends on your investment objectives, risk tolerance, and financial goals.

If you're seeking a balanced approach with the potential for higher returns than pure debt funds but with lower volatility compared to pure equity funds, then these funds could be suitable for you. However, it's essential to consult with a financial advisor who can assess your individual circumstances and recommend the most appropriate investment strategy.

If you decide to invest in Balanced Advantage Funds, you can do so through various platforms such as mutual fund distributors, online investment platforms, or directly through the fund house's website. Here's a general guide on how to invest:

1. Research: Understand the different Balanced Advantage Funds available in the market, their investment objectives, performance track record, and expense ratios.

2. Select a Fund: Choose a fund that aligns with your investment goals, risk tolerance, and time horizon.

3. KYC Compliance: Complete the Know Your Customer (KYC) process as required by regulatory guidelines. This typically involves providing identity and address proof documents.

4. Investment Process: Decide on the mode of investment, whether lump sum or systematic investment plan (SIP), based on your convenience and investment strategy.

5. Online Platform or Distributor: If investing through an online platform, create an account and follow the instructions to invest in your chosen Balanced Advantage Fund. If using a mutual fund distributor, approach them with your investment decision, and they will assist you with the investment process.

6. Monitor and Review: Keep track of your investments periodically and review your portfolio to ensure it remains aligned with your financial goals.

Remember that all investments carry some level of risk, including the potential loss of capital. Diversification and a long-term investment approach are generally recommended to mitigate risk and achieve your financial objectives.

Good Morning, We are married for almost 27 years and at various stages of my wife like, beginning days when Girls had dream of her happy married life beginning, honeymoon, pregnancy, fostering the child, mid-age crisis and now Menopause I have been very unfair & sometime very cruel to my wife. I am tryint to please her in my possible ways but whenever I am planning something exciting & pleasurable for her it turn out to be flop show & nightmare. I want her to be happy but don't know why it gets spoiled due to one or other reason. Despite of all this she is always giving me chance and prepare herself for new beginning. But now I fear & feel gradually I will become a big liability on her, health wise as I am diabetic and even after taking high dose of medicines it doesn't get controlled. I am worried that though the beginning was not good our end should be Peaceful & graceful. Need your guidance
No point revisiting what has already happened. It seems like your wife wants a new beginning; then why not actually plan on how you want your life together to be from now on? What are the things that you have missed out on earlier, bring it all back and slowly start experiencing what life could be living in that harmony...
As for diabetes, getting the right medicine and taking it in the right dosage is important to see a change. Also, exercise, attempt to keep stress levels low and eat right...these help in keeping your blood sugar levels low...
Don't talk about the END when there is a NEW beginning in sight...