Tax Expert - Answered on Apr 24, 2023

Mihir Tanna has more than 10 years of experience in direct taxation, including filing income tax returns.
Asked by Anonymous - Apr 23, 2023Translate

Is HRA Exemption is available in New Tax Regime?

Ans: No, HRA exemption not available in New Tax Regime

Sir can u list the income exemptions which are eligible under revised New tax regime
Ans: The answer to your query is as below. I have simply copied it from another website, for your information.

With the revised new tax regime, several exemptions and deductions have been removed as below:-

1. Leave Travel Allowance
2. House rent allowance depending upon salary structure and rent paid
3. Professional tax paid by a maximum of Rs. 2,500/-
4. Deductions available under Section 80TTA and 80TTB that is interest from Savings Account/Deposits
5. Tax deduction on entertainment allowance and deduction on professional tax for government employees
6. The interest amount payable on home loan for a self-occupied or any vacant property u/s 24 maximum deductions of Rs 2 lakhs
7. Deduction of Rs 15,000 allowed from family pension under clause (ii) (a) Section 57
8. Special Allowances that are provided under Section 10(14) except:
9. Transport allowance granted to a disabled employee
10. Conveyance allowance
11. Any allowances granted for meeting the cost of travel on tour or transfer of an employee
12. Daily allowance
13. Perquisites
14. Business owners and professionals will lose the exemption to Special Economic Zones under Section 10AA.
15. Deductions under Section 32AD, 33AB, 33ABA, 35(1)(ii),35(1)(ii( (a), 35(1)(iii), 35(2AA), 35AD and 35CCC of the Income Tax Act.
16. Options of additional depreciation under Section 32(ii) (a) of the Income Tax Act
17. The option to carry forward or unabsorbed depreciation of earlier years
18. Tax-saving investment deductions under Income Tax Act , Chapter VI-A 80C, 80D, 80E, 80CCC, 80CCD, 80D, 80DD, 80DDB, 80EE, 80EEA, 80EEB, 80G, 80GG, 80GGA, 80GGC, 80IA, 80-IAB, 80-IAC, 80-IB, 80-IBA, etc. These tax-saving investment options include ELSS, NPS, PPF tax relief on mediclaim insurance premium, FDR, dependents who are differently-abled, expenses for specified medical treatments, interest on education loan and many more.

Exemptions that remain prevalent in the new revised system, that you can claim:

1. Standard deduction for salaried and pension class of Rs 50,000.
2. Interest received on Post Office Savings Account under Section 10(15)(i) the maximum amount of Rs. 3,500.
3. Gratuity received from employer up to a maximum amount of Rs. 20 Lacs.
4. Amount received from Life Insurance Policy on maturity under Section 10(10D).
5. Employer contribution in NPS or EPF up to 12% of salary and interest on EPF up to 9.5% p.a.
6. Income from Life Insurance.
7. Income from agricultural farming.
8. Standard reduction on rent.
9. Retrenchment compensation.
10. Leave encashment on retirement.
11. VRS proceeds up to Rs 5 lacs.
12. Retirement cum death benefit.
13. Money received as a scholarship for education.
14. Interest and maturity amount of PPF or Sukanya Smriddhi Yojna.
15. Commutation of Pension.
16. The new tax regime offers you to claim deductions u/s 80CCD(2) (employers contribution in notified pension scheme) and 80JJAA (for new employment).

What are balanced advantage funds and would you recommend how I should go about investing in such funds?
Ans: Balanced Advantage Funds are a type of mutual fund that dynamically manages the allocation between equity and debt instruments based on market conditions. These funds aim to provide investors with a balance between growth (through equity exposure) and stability (through debt exposure). The allocation between equity and debt is adjusted by fund managers based on various factors such as market valuations, interest rates, and economic indicators.

Here's a breakdown of the key features and considerations for investing in Balanced Advantage Funds:

1. Dynamic Asset Allocation: These funds have the flexibility to shift allocation between equity and debt depending on market conditions. When equity markets are expensive or overvalued, the fund manager may reduce equity exposure and increase allocation to debt instruments, and vice versa.

2. Risk Management: Balanced Advantage Funds tend to offer lower volatility compared to pure equity funds due to their ability to switch between asset classes based on market conditions. This can potentially reduce downside risk during market downturns.

3. Goal-based Investing: They can be suitable for investors with medium to long-term investment horizons who seek a balance between capital appreciation and capital preservation. These funds are often used for goals like retirement planning or wealth creation with a moderate risk profile.

4. Professional Management: Investors benefit from the expertise of professional fund managers who actively manage the asset allocation and investment decisions based on thorough research and analysis.

5. Tax Implications: From a taxation perspective, gains from equity investments held for more than one year are taxed at a lower rate (long-term capital gains tax), whereas gains from debt investments held for more than three years are taxed as per the investor's income tax slab. Balanced Advantage Funds may offer tax efficiency due to their equity exposure.

6. Expense Ratio: Investors should consider the expense ratio of the fund, which represents the annual fees charged by the fund house for managing the fund. Lower expense ratios can enhance returns over the long term.

As for whether you should invest in Balanced Advantage Funds, it depends on your investment objectives, risk tolerance, and financial goals.

If you're seeking a balanced approach with the potential for higher returns than pure debt funds but with lower volatility compared to pure equity funds, then these funds could be suitable for you. However, it's essential to consult with a financial advisor who can assess your individual circumstances and recommend the most appropriate investment strategy.

If you decide to invest in Balanced Advantage Funds, you can do so through various platforms such as mutual fund distributors, online investment platforms, or directly through the fund house's website. Here's a general guide on how to invest:

1. Research: Understand the different Balanced Advantage Funds available in the market, their investment objectives, performance track record, and expense ratios.

2. Select a Fund: Choose a fund that aligns with your investment goals, risk tolerance, and time horizon.

3. KYC Compliance: Complete the Know Your Customer (KYC) process as required by regulatory guidelines. This typically involves providing identity and address proof documents.

4. Investment Process: Decide on the mode of investment, whether lump sum or systematic investment plan (SIP), based on your convenience and investment strategy.

5. Online Platform or Distributor: If investing through an online platform, create an account and follow the instructions to invest in your chosen Balanced Advantage Fund. If using a mutual fund distributor, approach them with your investment decision, and they will assist you with the investment process.

6. Monitor and Review: Keep track of your investments periodically and review your portfolio to ensure it remains aligned with your financial goals.

Remember that all investments carry some level of risk, including the potential loss of capital. Diversification and a long-term investment approach are generally recommended to mitigate risk and achieve your financial objectives.

Good Morning, We are married for almost 27 years and at various stages of my wife like, beginning days when Girls had dream of her happy married life beginning, honeymoon, pregnancy, fostering the child, mid-age crisis and now Menopause I have been very unfair & sometime very cruel to my wife. I am tryint to please her in my possible ways but whenever I am planning something exciting & pleasurable for her it turn out to be flop show & nightmare. I want her to be happy but don't know why it gets spoiled due to one or other reason. Despite of all this she is always giving me chance and prepare herself for new beginning. But now I fear & feel gradually I will become a big liability on her, health wise as I am diabetic and even after taking high dose of medicines it doesn't get controlled. I am worried that though the beginning was not good our end should be Peaceful & graceful. Need your guidance
No point revisiting what has already happened. It seems like your wife wants a new beginning; then why not actually plan on how you want your life together to be from now on? What are the things that you have missed out on earlier, bring it all back and slowly start experiencing what life could be living in that harmony...
As for diabetes, getting the right medicine and taking it in the right dosage is important to see a change. Also, exercise, attempt to keep stress levels low and eat right...these help in keeping your blood sugar levels low...
Don't talk about the END when there is a NEW beginning in sight...