Hi,Sir . Iam currently having Salary of 1 Lac per month. So far I have started my investments into PPF, NPS, Term Life, Health Insurance of both Parents and self. So far having expenses arround 40000. I initially planned to invest in chits but due to frauds I am scared hence looking for Mutual funds as an option.

Ans: It's great to hear that you're actively planning your investments and considering options like mutual funds. Given your monthly salary of Rs. 1 lakh and existing investments in PPF, NPS, and insurance, let's explore how mutual funds can complement your financial strategy.

Mitigating Risks with Mutual Funds:

Considering recent incidents with chits, it's understandable to seek safer investment avenues. Mutual funds offer professional management and regulatory oversight, reducing the risk of fraud or mismanagement.

Diversification and Risk Management:

Mutual funds pool money from multiple investors to invest in a diversified portfolio of stocks, bonds, or other assets. This diversification helps spread risk and potentially enhances returns compared to individual investments.

Types of Mutual Funds:

Equity Funds: These funds invest primarily in stocks, offering growth potential over the long term. They suit investors with a higher risk tolerance and longer investment horizon.

Debt Funds: Debt funds invest in fixed-income securities such as bonds and government securities. They provide stability and regular income, making them suitable for conservative investors.

Hybrid Funds: Hybrid or balanced funds invest in a mix of equities and debt instruments. They offer a balanced risk-return profile, catering to investors seeking both growth and income.

Investment Considerations:

Risk Appetite: Assess your risk tolerance and investment goals to determine the most suitable mutual fund categories for your portfolio.

Investment Horizon: Mutual funds are ideal for long-term wealth creation. Determine your investment horizon and choose funds aligned with your time horizon.

Expense Management: Mutual funds charge management fees, known as expense ratios. Compare expense ratios and opt for funds with competitive fees to maximize returns.

Tax Efficiency: Consider tax implications when selecting mutual funds. Equity funds held for over one year qualify for long-term capital gains tax benefits, while debt funds are subject to different tax rules.

Consultation and Research:

Before investing, conduct thorough research on different mutual funds, considering factors such as fund performance, track record, and fund manager expertise. Additionally, seek advice from a Certified Financial Planner to tailor your investment strategy to your financial goals and risk profile.

Conclusion:

Mutual funds offer a transparent, regulated, and diversified investment avenue suitable for investors of varying risk profiles. By aligning your investments with your financial objectives and risk tolerance, you can build a robust portfolio for long-term wealth accumulation.

Dear Sir, I have an offer from Manipal Udupi (main campus) in joining Mechanical (from 3rd round of counseling). I am not interested on Mechanical, and I do not have any other offers in hand. I am thinking of dropping this year and preparing of JEE next year. Please note, my JEE result was below 80% percentile and PCM at 80% this year. Is it advisable to drop a year or going with Mech in Manipal-U (I am hearing that there would be few more intra-campus counselling rounds which might change my position from mech to other streams like electrical or electronics.
Ans: Bibek, what are you are referring is sliding / upgrading to other streams. Please note this depends upon the demands by other students belonging to Mechanical for ECE/CSE/EEE etc. and also your academic performance in 1st year. I normally do not recommend 'drop'. Besides, keeping in view your score in Board/JEE, it is not advisable. Better to join Manipal-Main Campus for Mechanical & try for sliding.

Some suggestions before / after joining Manipal. (1) Have a thorough research about Manipal Main Campus about its culture, hostel facilities, internship opportunities, placement records, infrastructure, faculties, quality of teaching etc. to yourself get mentally prepared (2) Keep upgrading your skills (3) Create a Professional LinkedIn Profile and keep updating it every 3-months, using keywords related to your domain / skills (4) Put Job Alerts in LinkeIn to get notifications to know about Job Market Trends to keep yourself updated (5) Connect with Professionals of your domain (not to ask for jobs) to gain knowledge from them and their views. All the Best for Your Bright Future.

To Know More on 'Education | Careers | Jobs', Ask / Follows us in RediffGURUS.

Aasif Ahmed Khan

Aasif Ahmed Khan   |64 Answers  |Ask -

Tech Career Expert - Answered on Jul 13, 2024

I had requested a company to provide internship plus project for my regular M.Tech course, instead i was offered internship plus job and contribution to pf was also there. In 3rd Sem we need to do internship which ended at Jan 2021, pf contribution started for month of October 2020. In 4th sem, no subject only project and i continued my job and project parallely This was during covid time, will this be a problem to work in IT gaint like TCS, If Yes, what best can i do ?
Ans: Having both an internship and a job during your M.Tech is commendable. It shows your commitment and multitasking abilities. The contribution to your provident fund (PF) is an added benefit. Remember, many successful professionals have navigated similar situations. Your dedication and adaptability will be valuable assets.

The pandemic accelerated the move toward hybrid workplaces, combining remote and in-person work. IT companies are increasingly open to flexible arrangements. Highlight your adaptability and remote work experience during interviews.

Update your resume and LinkedIn profile to reflect your internship, job, and project experience. Emphasize the skills you gained during your job and project. Showcase any relevant technologies or tools. Connect with professionals in your field. Attend virtual events and webinars. Prepare for technical interviews. Practice coding, algorithms, and system design. Understand TCS’s work culture, values, and projects. During interviews, explain your situation honestly. Highlight your achievements and how you managed both work and studies.

Aasif Ahmed Khan

Aasif Ahmed Khan   |64 Answers  |Ask -

My son recently completed his Btech Mechanical at Thapar Institute but still waiting for placement.He got 8.5 cg till 7th sem and cg of 8th sem not declared yet and I hope he will not get less than previous cg. Please guide us about his placement. Can he placed of campus? or but about his study now.
Ans: Job searches can be challenging, but persistence pays off. Remind your son to stay positive, keep refining his approach, and learn from any setbacks. Remember that every student’s journey is unique, and there’s no one-size-fits-all solution. Encourage your son to explore both on-campus and off-campus options, and support him throughout the process. Your son’s strong CGPA can certainly attract recruiters during these placement drives.

If on-campus placements don’t yield immediate results, off-campus placements are an alternative. Off-campus placements involve applying directly to companies outside the college. Your son can explore job portals, company websites, and networking platforms to find relevant job openings. Tailor his resume, write personalized cover letters, and apply proactively.

While waiting for placements, your son can enhance his skills. Consider certifications, online courses, or projects related to mechanical engineering. Practical experience and domain-specific knowledge can make him more attractive to employers. Networking plays a crucial role in off-campus placements. Encourage your son to connect with alumni, industry professionals, and attend job fairs or industry events.

Aasif Ahmed Khan

Aasif Ahmed Khan   |64 Answers  |Ask -