Ulhas

Ulhas Joshi  |266 Answers  |Ask -

Mutual Fund Expert - Answered on Mar 27, 2024

With over 16 years of experience in the mutual fund industry, Ulhas Joshi has helped numerous clients choose the right funds and create wealth.
Prior to joining RankMF as CEO, he was vice president (sales) at IDBI Asset Management Ltd.
Prateek Question by Prateek on Mar 24, 2024Hindi

Hello Ulhas, I am 33 years and I want to start investing in MF with amount 25k per month till next 10-15 years so that I can get a good corpus for my child's education and also retirement . I am also planning to increase the amount each year for this . Can you please help in which type of funds should I invest ( also the company if possible) and how much amount should I increase each year.

Ans: Hello Prateek & thanks for writing to me. As your goal is long term, you can consider investing in equity schemes for around 10 to 12 years, stop your SIP's in equity funds & begin SIP's in balanced advantage funds & multi asset funds for the remainder 3 to 4 years.

You can invest in a mix of

1-Flexicap Funds: 50% of your investible corpus.
2-Multicap Funds:25% of your investible corpus.
3-Midcap Funds: 12.5% of your investible corpus.
4-Smallcap Funds:12.5% of your investible corpus.
Asked on - Apr 05, 2024 | Answered on Apr 05, 2024
Dear Ulhas , Thanks for your suggestion and apologies for replying late. When you mentioned to do SIP in remaining 3-4 years , is it after 10-12 years in equity or is it 6-7 years in equity and then 3-4 years of other funds ? Also can you tell me how much should I step up every year in the SIP amount so that I can get a target corpus of atleast 4-5 Crs as retirement fund and same for child education as well. You suggested the division of amount in MF category , can you please suggest MF in these category , I know past performance in not indicative of future but still it gives an approx. Idea . Best Regards, Prateek
Ans: Hi Prateek & thanks for writing back.

As your goal is to invest for 15 years, I recommend that for the first 10 to 12 years, you invest via SIP's in equity funds. Then, you pause your investments in equity funds & begin SIP's in balanced advantage funds & multi asset funds for the remainder 2-3 years.

You can consider beginning SIP's in:

1-Parag Parikh Flexicap Fund
2-Samco Flexicap Fund
3-Axis Flexicap Fund
4-SBI Multicap Fund
5-Canara Robeco Multicap Fund
6-Kotak Emerging Equity Fund
7-Tata Smallcap Fund

Do note that if you share other details, I may recommend other schemes. Periodic rebalancing is essential to ensure you are on the right track.
Asked on - Apr 06, 2024 | Answered on Apr 08, 2024
Hello Ulhas, Thanks for the suggestions but what other details are you referring that I should share. This periodic rebalancing should happen at what interval - monthly/quarterly/yearly. And how can you get an idea that rebalancing is required ? Best Regards, Prateek
Ans: Hi Prateek, other details can include what amount/percentage of annual step-up you can do to your SIP's, whether your financial goals & objective change during the course of the investment journey & whether you make any redemptions midway.

Annual or 6 monthly rebalancing is generally good enough.
Asked on - Apr 08, 2024 | Not Answered yet
Hello Ulhas, Given right now I can invest 25k from my side and 15k from my wife side i.e. a total for 40k , I have a target of atleast 4-5 CR for my child education and same amount for retirement . So, according to that can you tell me how much should I step up my SIP. Mostly I will be dedicated to remain invested for this long period unless an urgent money requirement comes up as I already have 1.5Crs of health insurance and 3Cr of Life Insurance separately. If I have to add any more expense , I can add my child's marriage into it and possible house purchase( not sure about this one right now ) Also what does rebalancing means - can you please explain in a layman manner ,like do I have to increase investment in one SIP and parallel decrease in another ? Or is it something different ? Best Regards, Prateek

Vivek

Vivek Lala  |257 Answers  |Ask -

Tax, MF Expert - Answered on Jun 20, 2024

Hello sir, I am 23 years old, just graduated and starting my first job next week. I will be earning around 90k per month and I live at our own house (so no rent). I am planning on investing in MF but don't know where to start or how much to invest. Our monthly expense is roughly 20k and I also have an education loan which I have to start paying soon. I have a goal of saving 1 cr before 30. Kindly let me know where to invest and how much to invest.
Ans: Hello, glad to know that you are interested about investments at such a young age
Assuming 90K is your pre tax income , you will get around 80K in hand post taxes and post EPF
If your house expenses and education loan is 20K + 20K ( assuming ) = 40K , you have an investable surplus of 40K
You can follow the below strategy that I often use for young investors :
Mid cap - 30%
Small cap - 30%
Multi cap - 20%
Emergency Fund ( Payment of term insurance premiums , medical insurance premium and travel fund ) - 20%

If you keep doing this for the next 7yrs and utilise the entire emergency fund on the way, you shall accumulate Rs.44L by the age of 30yrs at 13% XIRR.

Please note that these suggestions are based on your stated goals and the information you provided. It is always a good idea to consult with a financial advisor in person to better understand your risk tolerance, time horizon, and specific financial goals.

Do let me know your thoughts on the same
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ca-vivek-lala-21a2038b?utm_source=share&utm_campaign=share_via&utm_content=profile&utm_medium=android_app

I am 26 years old , i am investing 1k/month on stock & doing SIP's in 1k/month in ICICI prudential bharat 22 FoF direct growth , 500/month in HDFC mid cap opportunities direct plan, 500/month in mahindra manulife aggresive hybrid & 500/month in nippon india ultra short duration is this much enough for future perception
Ans: Your Current Investment Strategy
At 26, your investment journey has begun well. You are investing Rs 1k/month in stocks and doing SIPs in various mutual funds. This is a great start.

Evaluating Your SIPs
Stock Investments
Investing in stocks directly can yield high returns. However, it comes with high risk. Ensure you research well before picking stocks. Diversify across sectors to manage risk.

ICICI Prudential Bharat 22 FoF
This fund focuses on PSU companies. It has potential but can be volatile. Keep an eye on its performance.

HDFC Mid Cap Opportunities
Mid-cap funds can provide good growth. They are riskier than large-cap but can outperform in the long run. Your SIP in this fund is a smart choice.

Mahindra Manulife Aggressive Hybrid
This hybrid fund balances equity and debt. It offers stability and growth. This fund is a good addition to your portfolio.

Nippon India Ultra Short Duration
This fund invests in short-term debt instruments. It provides liquidity and low risk. It's suitable for short-term goals.

Direct funds might seem cheaper due to lower fees. However, regular funds through a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) offer several benefits:

Professional Advice: A CFP provides tailored advice based on your goals.

Active Management: Regular funds are actively managed by experts.

Emotional Support: CFPs help you stay disciplined during market fluctuations.

Enhancing Your Portfolio
Diversify: Ensure you have a mix of equity, debt, and hybrid funds.

Long-Term Focus: Stay invested for the long term to ride out market volatility.

Review Regularly: Monitor your investments and make adjustments as needed.

Actively Managed Funds vs Index Funds
Actively managed funds aim to outperform the market. They can provide higher returns than index funds, which only track the market. Although actively managed funds have higher fees, the potential for better performance justifies the cost.

Keep Learning: Enhance your knowledge about investments.

Stay Disciplined: Consistency is key to wealth creation.

Seek Professional Help: A Certified Financial Planner can guide you better.

Your current investment approach is commendable. With slight adjustments, you can further improve your portfolio.

Hi iam 29 years old Currently I'm investing 2.5k in Mirae assets emerging bluechip fund. 2k in ICICI prudential technology fund. 1.5k in axis small cap fund. 1k in quant small cap fund. 1k in quant infrastructure fund. Are those funds good for long-term like 20 years plz answer.
Ans: Current Investment Overview

At 29 years old, you have a well-diversified portfolio. Your investments include:

Rs 2,500 in an emerging bluechip fund

Rs 2,000 in a technology fund

Rs 1,500 in a small cap fund

Rs 1,000 in another small cap fund

Rs 1,000 in an infrastructure fund

Evaluation of Fund Selection

Emerging Bluechip Fund

Potential for Growth: This fund targets mid-cap and large-cap stocks. These offer substantial growth potential over the long term.

Risk Factor: It carries moderate to high risk, suitable for your long-term horizon.

Technology Fund

Sector Focus: This fund invests in the technology sector. Technology is a rapidly evolving sector with high growth potential.

Volatility: Sector funds are more volatile. Diversification within your portfolio helps manage this risk.

Small Cap Funds

High Growth Potential: Small cap funds can offer high returns. They invest in smaller companies with significant growth potential.

High Risk: These funds are high-risk due to market volatility. Holding for 20 years can help ride out market fluctuations.

Infrastructure Fund

Sector-Specific Growth: Infrastructure funds invest in infrastructure projects. This sector can benefit from government policies and economic growth.

Moderate to High Risk: Sector-specific funds can be volatile. Diversifying across sectors helps balance your portfolio.

Professional Management

Expertise: Actively managed funds are handled by experienced fund managers.

Research and Analysis: Fund managers conduct in-depth research to make informed investment decisions.

Flexibility

Dynamic Adjustments: Managers can adjust the portfolio based on market conditions. This can help mitigate risks and capitalize on opportunities.

Regular Monitoring: Continuous monitoring ensures the portfolio aligns with market trends and investment goals.

Lack of Professional Guidance

Self-Management: Direct funds require you to manage your investments. This involves research, analysis, and regular monitoring.

Time-Consuming: Managing direct funds can be time-consuming. It requires a thorough understanding of market dynamics.

Risk of Errors

Potential for Mistakes: Without professional advice, there's a higher risk of making investment errors. This can affect your returns.

Missed Opportunities: Lack of expertise can lead to missed investment opportunities.

Recommendations for Long-Term Strategy

Maintain Diversification

Balanced Portfolio: Continue diversifying across different sectors and fund types. This reduces risk and enhances growth potential.

Regular Review: Review your portfolio periodically. Ensure it remains aligned with your long-term goals.

Increase SIP Amount Gradually

Boost Investments: Gradually increase your SIP amounts. This helps in building a substantial corpus over time.

Compounding Benefits: Higher investments benefit from compounding returns, accelerating your wealth growth.

Consult a Certified Financial Planner

Expert Advice: Seek advice from a Certified Financial Planner. They can provide personalized recommendations based on your financial goals.

Holistic Approach: A CFP can offer a 360-degree financial solution, ensuring all aspects of your financial health are covered.

Your current investment strategy is solid for long-term growth. Diversify your portfolio, increase SIP amounts, and seek professional advice. This will ensure a secure and prosperous financial future.

Hi sir myself jagadish.m I have two kids one of age 4 years and one of 1year.I have own house in Bangalore and 4acres farmland in Andhrapradesh.I am planning to save money for my kids future.Currently I am doing trading with 15lakhs by taking advisory.I am happy with returns from trading so far.Pls suggest me suitable entity to invest
Ans: Current Financial Situation
You have two young children, a house in Bangalore, and farmland in Andhra Pradesh. You are also trading with Rs. 15 lakhs and are satisfied with the returns.

Appreciating Your Efforts
It's commendable that you are actively trading and seeing positive results. Your initiative in planning for your children's future is also praiseworthy.

Goals for Your Children's Future
To secure your children's future, it's essential to have a diversified investment strategy. Here are some key areas to consider:

Education Planning
Start Early: Investing early gives you the advantage of compounding.

Estimate Costs: Calculate the future cost of education. Consider inflation in your calculations.

Investment Options: Look at equity mutual funds for long-term growth. They can provide higher returns over time.

Child Plans
Dedicated Plans: Consider child-specific investment plans. These plans offer benefits tailored for children's future needs.

Dual Benefits: These plans often provide life cover and investment growth. They ensure financial security for your children.

Regular Investments: SIPs allow you to invest a fixed amount regularly. It helps in disciplined saving.

Rupee Cost Averaging: SIPs benefit from market fluctuations. They help in averaging out the purchase cost of units.

Flexibility: You can start SIPs with small amounts. They offer flexibility to increase investments over time.

Professional Management: Actively managed funds are handled by expert fund managers. They adjust the portfolio based on market conditions.

Higher Potential Returns: These funds aim to outperform market indices. They can offer higher returns compared to index funds.

Diversification: Actively managed funds invest in a variety of sectors. This reduces risk and enhances potential returns.

Self-Management: Direct funds require you to manage investments yourself. This can be challenging without professional advice.

Lack of Expertise: Without a Certified Financial Planner (CFP), you might miss out on strategic adjustments.

Higher Effort: Direct funds demand constant monitoring. It requires significant time and effort.

Benefits of Regular Funds Through a CFP
Expert Advice: A CFP provides personalized investment strategies. They consider your financial goals and risk tolerance.

Regular Monitoring: Your investments are regularly reviewed and adjusted. This ensures optimal performance.

Comprehensive Planning: CFPs offer a holistic financial plan. They cover all aspects of your financial life, including insurance, retirement, and estate planning.

Diversifying Investments
Balanced Portfolio: Diversify across equity, debt, and hybrid funds. This balances risk and returns.

Emergency Fund: Maintain an emergency fund. It should cover 6-12 months of expenses.

Insurance: Ensure adequate life and health insurance. It protects your family from unforeseen events.

Your proactive approach to securing your children's future is excellent. Focus on a diversified investment strategy. Consider education planning, child-specific plans, and SIPs. Opt for actively managed funds for higher returns. Avoid direct funds and benefit from the expertise of a Certified Financial Planner. Regularly review and adjust your investments to align with your financial goals.

Hi Sir, I have invested in a policy of HDFC bank with name HDFC Life Uday. In this I have been investing 24K per annum. Same amount i have to invest for 8 years that will end up in 2026. Maturity time is 2030. Can you please tell me how much amount will i get on maturity.
Ans: You have invested in the HDFC Life Uday policy, a traditional, non-linked insurance plan. You are paying Rs. 24,000 annually for 8 years, with the policy maturing in 2030.

Understanding HDFC Life Uday
HDFC Life Uday offers a combination of savings and protection. It includes a guaranteed sum assured and potential bonuses. However, this type of policy has several disadvantages.

Disadvantages of HDFC Life Uday
Lower Returns: Traditional policies typically offer lower returns compared to other investment options. The returns may not keep up with inflation.

High Costs: These policies often have higher costs due to premiums covering both insurance and savings components.

Limited Liquidity: Traditional policies have long lock-in periods. Accessing your money before maturity can be difficult and costly.

Inflation Impact: The fixed returns may not keep pace with inflation, reducing the purchasing power of your maturity amount.

Complexity: The structure of bonuses and guarantees can be complex and less transparent.

Surrendering the Policy
Given the disadvantages, it may be beneficial to surrender your HDFC Life Uday policy and reinvest in more efficient options.

Surrender Value: Before making a decision, check the surrender value of your policy. This is the amount you will receive if you terminate the policy early.

Reinvestment Strategy: Consider reinvesting the surrender value in mutual funds. Mutual funds can provide higher returns and greater flexibility.

Benefits of Mutual Funds
Higher Returns: Mutual funds generally offer higher returns compared to traditional policies.

Diversification: Mutual funds invest in a variety of assets, reducing risk.

Liquidity: Mutual funds are more liquid, allowing you easier access to your money.

Professional Management: Funds are managed by experts who adjust investments based on market conditions.

Flexibility: You can choose from a wide range of funds based on your risk appetite and financial goals.

Investing Through a Certified Financial Planner (CFP)
Consider investing in mutual funds through a Certified Financial Planner (CFP). Here’s why:

Expert Guidance: A CFP provides personalized advice tailored to your financial goals.

Regular Monitoring: They continuously monitor and adjust your investments to optimize returns.

Comprehensive Planning: CFPs offer a holistic approach, covering all aspects of your financial life.

Given the lower returns, high costs, and limited liquidity of traditional policies like HDFC Life Uday, it may be wise to surrender the policy. Reinvesting in mutual funds through a Certified Financial Planner can provide higher returns, greater flexibility, and professional management. Review your surrender value and consult a CFP for personalized advice and a comprehensive financial plan.