Financial Planner - Answered on Aug 06, 2023

Colonel Sanjeev Govila (retd) is the founder of Hum Fauji Initiatives, a financial planning company dedicated to the armed forces personnel and their families.
Sameer Question by Sameer on Aug 03, 2023Hindi

Hello Mr. Ulhas. I am a 36 year old male. I wish to create a retirement corpus of Rs. 30 crores by the age of 60 to finance my retirement life. I currently invest Rs. 90000 per month in different mutual funds. I also invest 150000 per annum in ppf and Rs 50000 in NPS per annum. What would be your advice? Thanks you !

Ans: I have no idea about your risk profile or what have you accumulated so far. In giving my reply, I am assuming the following:-
1. You are open to full equity investing which is actually the rightful way to go about for such long-term targets
2. Equity will give an overall 12% returns CAGR (Comp0unded Annual Growth Rate)
3. PPF will give an average 6% yearly returns.
4. Assuming that you have zero accumulation so far as you have not given anything in your data
5. You will continue the same regular investments without any increase or decrease and not take out any money from these investments.

You are likely to accumulate about Rs 16.5 Crores by the age of 60 years.
If you wish to accumulate Rs 30 Crores in the given timeframe, you would have to make an investment of Rs 1.8 Lakhs a month. If you cannot contribute this much, a good way of course would be to keep increasing your monthly contributions as your monthly income increases at say 7-10% per year.

By the way, my name is Col Sanjeev Govila and not Ulhas!

Asked by Anonymous - Sep 22, 2023Hindi
Hi sir, I am 32 year old earning 42 LPA. I have 20 lakhs invested in stocks, 17 lakhs in mutual funds, 13 lakhs in PF, 3 lakhs in PPF, 2 lakhs in govt. bonds and 12 lakhs in FD. I want to retire by 45 with monthly pension of 2 lakhs post tax growing 7% annually. What should be my corpus amount and how should I invest per month in above instruments to reach it.
Ans: To achieve your retirement goal of a monthly pension of Rs 2 lakhs post-tax, growing at 7% annually, you'll need to calculate the required corpus. For this, I’m unable to let you know your exact corpus amount since I have no information about your current expenses, risk tolerance, life expectancy and other financial goals.

With assumptions like an 85-year life expectancy and an aggressive risk profile, you might need around Rs 7.75 crore at retirement (age 45). This considers a 7% inflation rate and 13% pre-retirement returns.

Right now, you have Rs 67 lakhs saved, split between equity and debt. However, solely relying on these might only sustain your desired lifestyle till age 60 only. To make sure you have enough until 85, you need to invest an additional monthly investment (SIP) of around Rs 1 Lakh along with your existing investments of Rs. 67 Lakhs. Also, slowly build up an emergency fund equal to 6 months of your expenses.

The response to your query is based on limited information and consulting a financial advisor is highly recommended. He/she can create a personalized plan considering your expenses, risk tolerance, and other goals. There are some free financial calculators (for retirement planning) available on google, you can also refer to the same for the calculation.

I am 39 years old. I wish to build a retirement corpus where I can have 1.5 lakh p.m. post retirement and want to save for my child's marriage and higher studies (he is 9 years old right now). My monthly take home pay is 80k. Presently, my monthly investments are 10k in voluntary EPF, two 10K SIPs in two different small cap funds. Also, have a home loan pending for 4.5 lakh. My EPF a/c has a balnce of 31 lakh and MFs have grown to 12 Lakh. My wife also invest 20k p.m. in a index related fund. Please advise. Further, I would also like to know whether it is advisable to invest in NPS also?
Ans: Given your financial situation and goals, here's a suggested investment and savings plan:

Retirement Corpus:

Voluntary EPF: Continue investing in EPF as it offers tax benefits and a secure return. Aim to maximize your contribution to reach your retirement goal.
Mutual Funds: Maintain and diversify your SIPs across different categories like large-cap, mid-cap, and balanced funds to balance risk and potential returns.
NPS: Investing in NPS can be beneficial as it provides an additional avenue for retirement savings with tax benefits. Consider allocating a portion of your monthly investment to NPS for diversification and potential higher returns.
Child's Education and Marriage:

Child Education Fund: Start a separate SIP or invest in a diversified equity fund with a target maturity date aligned with your child's higher education.
Child Marriage Fund: Open a separate investment account or mutual fund SIP specifically for your child's marriage expenses.
Home Loan:

Home Loan Repayment: Continue paying the EMIs for the home loan to clear the debt as scheduled. Consider making partial prepayments whenever possible to reduce the interest burden.
Additional Investments:

Tax-saving Investments: Utilize tax-saving instruments like PPF, ELSS, and NPS to optimize tax savings and boost your investments.
Emergency Fund: Build an emergency fund equivalent to 6-12 months of your living expenses for financial security.
Financial Planning:

Review and Adjust: Regularly review and adjust your investment plan based on changing financial goals, market conditions, and life circumstances.
Consult a Financial Advisor: Consider consulting a financial advisor to create a comprehensive financial plan tailored to your needs, goals, and risk tolerance.
Optimize Expenses:

Reduce Expenses: Identify and eliminate unnecessary expenses to free up more funds for investments.
Increase Savings: Gradually increase your monthly savings and investments to achieve your financial goals faster.
By following this investment and savings plan, you can work towards building a substantial retirement corpus, securing your child's future education and marriage expenses, and achieving your financial goals. Remember to stay disciplined, invest regularly, and consult a financial advisor to guide you through your financial journey.

Dating, Relationships Expert - Answered on Apr 22, 2024

I am a 26 years old girl completed my studies, trying to get a job, 2 years back I fell in love online with a man of 32 years old, we have not met yet physically. He is working on a very small salary in a village i.e. his hometown. He can't get a good government job or private job now due to lack of experience and age. We love each other a lot with all our flaws. My family is strictly against it due to caste difference, low salary, he lives 1600 km away, background differences. Overall they don't trust him and our love and are emotionally blackmailing me to get married with someone they choose. And the thought alone of leaving him makes me sad

I am sorry for the challenges you are facing. I understand how difficult it must be to leave a person you love. Having said that, I would also like to point out that living a decent life is not cheap. You are currently unemployed and your partner has a low salary; it will not be sustainable in the long run. I am not asking you to leave him and marry someone else; all I am suggesting is don't rush. Take the time to find a decent job and ask your partner to do the same. Once you think you both are earning a good amount of money, put forth the idea of your marriage again to your parents.

Now the most important thing, you have met him online and never met him in real life. Is it worth taking this kind of risk before verifying everything in person? I am sure he is genuine but there is no harm in cross-checking. And I can't really blame your parents for having their doubts. Please don't rush. One wrong decision can ruin the rest of your life. Take your time, think this through, and meet him in person, most likely in your city and in a public space. Do a thorough background check. It is easy to get fooled when you are in love.

Again, please don't rush. You have your whole life ahead of you.

Hi, I am 25+ years of old. Earning a handsome ammount of money arround 1lakh. I am a introvert, kind of kanjus you can say. I don't have any gf. I had one one one-sided relationship but because of low self confidence I didn't able to express my feelings. I don't feel myself as a ugly person but I am over waight, facing hair fall recently that's why I lose confidence approaching girls. I tried few dating apps but use. As I am a introvert I don't like to go to parties but definitely become comfortable after knowing the other person. Currently in Bangalore but being from a remote area I don't feel comfortable approaching a girl. What should I do.

I understand how you are feeling. First of all, you are not alone in this. Secondly, it's time you recognize how much you have achieved in life. Kudos to that.

Now, coming to your concern, being an introvert is not an issue, though it comes with its own set of challenges. I understand that you feel shy when it comes to talking to women. That's where dating apps come in. You have seen no results on them; I hear you. But give it another try, but this time, with a fool-proof strategy. First off, write an appealing bio. It's equivalent to writing a cover letter- you put forward your best attributes and convince people why they should date you. You can mention your achievements, you can be honest and disclose that you are an introvert, mention what you have to offer as a partner and don't forget to mention what you are looking for in your partner. This would give your potential matches a concise idea of you and also help attract the right people. Second, display image matters. While I am not encouraging you to put up an over-edited picture hiding your imperfections, do not put up the worst one either. Make sure it's recent, decent, and of you and you alone, and not in a group. Third, if you like somebody, don't be afraid to send a message. You are not committing to them, nor do you have to see them in person. Leave a message, interact, only if things go well, meet in person. There's no rush and no prior commitment. Fourth and the most important one, be patient. The right match can take a while but when you do find them, it will be worth the wait.

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Apr 22, 2024