There is an FD in the name of my daughter (even now a minor), booked by somebody else in the family many years ago, by giving cash in SBT bank. This FD was not linked to any SB account and my wife has been added as the guardian. SBT got merged into SBI and SBI people don't know how to close this FD and handover the proceedings. How to close the FD and get the money
Ans: Regarding your inquiry about closing the Fixed Deposit (FD) in your minor daughter's name, you will need to visit the concerned branch. On 15 February 2017, the Union Cabinet approved a proposal to merge SBT and four other associate banks with State Bank of India. Please ensure you take the following documents with you:-
1. The FD receipt or passbook.
2. A copy of your daughter's birth certificate.
3. A copy of your wife's identity proof (as her guardian).
You'll also need to complete an FD closure form available at the branch. The bank's staff will assist you with this process.
Once the form is filled out, and all necessary documents are submitted, the bank will initiate the FD closure request. The funds from the FD will be transferred to your daughter's savings account, assuming she has one. If not, you'll need to open a savings account on her behalf.
Here are some additional tips for closing the FD:
1. If you're unsure which SBI branch the FD was opened at, you can contact the bank's customer care department for guidance.
2. If you do not have the FD receipt or passbook, you can still close the FD by providing the FD number and other relevant details to the bank staff.