Ulhas

Ulhas Joshi  |265 Answers  |Ask -

Mutual Fund Expert - Answered on Oct 17, 2023

With over 16 years of experience in the mutual fund industry, Ulhas Joshi has helped numerous clients choose the right funds and create wealth.
Prior to joining RankMF as CEO, he was vice president (sales) at IDBI Asset Management Ltd.
SANDEEP Question by SANDEEP on Oct 16, 2023Hindi

i am doing sip of 10000 per month. 2000 in ICICI blue chip fund growth,2000 in HDFC top 100 fund & 2000 in HDFC small cap fund, 1000 in HSBC midcap fund & 1000 in SBI Blue chip fund growth. I am investing in this from last three year. I am 51 year old & i am doing it for my retirement. Is these funds are good or should i change these

Ans: Hello Sandeep and thanks for writing to me. The funds you are investing in are good funds and you can continue to invest in them.

If you state your objectives, time horizon and other goals, I may recommend other funds.

I am 37 years old and doing below SIPs, please suggest if these are decent funds? Mirrae Asset Large & Mid Cap - 3000 Quant Small Cap - 5000 PGIM Mid Cap - 5000 Axis Mid Cap - 2500 Nippon Small Cap - 5000 UTI Nifty 50 Index - 3000 UTI Nift Next 50 Index - 2000 Parag Parikh Flex Cap - 3000
Ans: It's impressive to see your commitment to systematic investment plans (SIPs) at this stage of your financial journey. Your selection showcases a thoughtful mix of funds across various categories, reflecting a well-diversified approach.

Diversification is key to managing risk, and your choice of funds spanning large & mid-cap, small-cap, and flexi-cap categories demonstrates a balanced strategy.

As a Certified Financial Planner, I commend your focus on actively managed funds over index funds. While index funds offer lower expense ratios, they lack the potential for outperformance that actively managed funds can provide, especially in volatile markets.

However, it's essential to regularly review your SIPs to ensure they align with your financial goals and risk tolerance. Market dynamics and fund performance can warrant adjustments over time.

Consider consulting with a certified financial planner periodically to reassess your investment strategy and make informed decisions based on changing market conditions.

Remember, patience and discipline are crucial virtues in long-term investing. Stay committed to your financial plan, and you'll reap the rewards of disciplined investing over time.

Sir, I am new and I have started investing in SIP of 7 thousand from this month: quant small cap fund direct -1000, Tata small cap fund-500, quant mid cap fund direct- 1000, Nippon India large cap-1000, UTI nifty 50 index fund - 2000, JM FLEXI cap fund direct-500, Aditya Birla sunlife psu equity-1000 Please inform me whether these funds are good and also I hv plan to keep these sips for 10 yr horizon.
Ans: Let's dive into a detailed analysis and provide you with comprehensive guidance on your SIP investments for a 10-year horizon. It's great to see your initiative in starting a systematic investment plan. Here's a thorough evaluation of your investment portfolio with a focus on various aspects to help you understand the implications of your choices and make informed decisions.

Understanding Your Current Investment Portfolio
You've chosen a diverse mix of mutual funds for your SIPs, which is a good strategy. This diversity helps in spreading risk and capturing growth from different segments of the market. Let's break down your investments into categories and analyze each one:

Small Cap Funds: You've invested in two small cap funds. Small cap funds have the potential for high growth, but they also come with high volatility.

Mid Cap Funds: You've allocated funds to a mid cap fund. Mid caps strike a balance between growth potential and risk.

Large Cap Funds: You've chosen a large cap fund, which provides stability to your portfolio with lower risk compared to small and mid cap funds.

Index Funds: You've invested in an index fund, which aims to replicate the performance of the Nifty 50 index.

Flexi Cap Funds: You've invested in a flexi cap fund, which offers the flexibility to invest across market caps.

Sector-Specific Funds: You've allocated funds to a PSU equity fund. Sector-specific funds can be volatile and are often dependent on the sector's performance.

Evaluating Small Cap Funds
Small cap funds can deliver impressive returns, especially in a growing economy. However, they are highly volatile and susceptible to market fluctuations. Over a 10-year horizon, these funds can provide substantial growth if the companies perform well.

Advantages:

High growth potential.
Beneficial in a bullish market.
Disadvantages:

High volatility.
Risk of significant losses during market downturns.
Mid Cap Funds: Balancing Growth and Stability
Mid cap funds offer a balance between the high growth potential of small caps and the stability of large caps. These funds invest in mid-sized companies that have significant growth potential and are more stable than small caps.

Advantages:

Potential for good returns.
Moderate risk compared to small caps.
Disadvantages:

Can be volatile.
Requires a longer investment horizon to mitigate risks.
Large Cap Funds: Stability and Consistent Returns
Large cap funds invest in well-established companies with a solid track record. These funds provide stability to your portfolio and are less volatile compared to small and mid cap funds.

Advantages:

Lower risk and volatility.
Consistent returns over the long term.
Disadvantages:

Lower growth potential compared to small and mid caps.
Returns may be modest.
Index Funds: A Critical Analysis
You've invested in an index fund which tracks the Nifty 50. Index funds are passively managed and aim to replicate the index's performance. While they offer diversification and low expense ratios, there are some drawbacks:

Disadvantages:

Limited to the performance of the index.
Cannot outperform the market.
Lack of active management to navigate market downturns.
Benefits of Actively Managed Funds:

Potential to outperform the market.
Active management to mitigate risks.
Flexibility in changing market conditions.
Flexi Cap Funds: Versatile and Adaptive
Flexi cap funds are versatile as they can invest across different market capitalizations. This flexibility allows the fund manager to capitalize on opportunities in any segment.

Advantages:

Diversification across market caps.
Ability to adapt to market conditions.
Disadvantages:

Performance highly dependent on the fund manager's expertise.
May have higher expense ratios.
Sector-Specific Funds: Concentrated Risk
You've invested in a PSU equity fund, which focuses on public sector undertakings. Sector-specific funds can be rewarding if the sector performs well but are highly risky.

Advantages:

High returns if the sector performs well.
Targeted exposure to a specific sector.
Disadvantages:

High risk due to concentration in one sector.
Performance is sector-dependent and can be volatile.
Active vs. Direct Funds: Considerations
You've chosen direct funds, which means you invest directly with the mutual fund company without intermediaries. While this can save on commission fees, there are advantages to investing through a Certified Financial Planner (CFP):

Disadvantages of Direct Funds:

Requires thorough research and understanding.
No professional guidance in fund selection and management.
Benefits of Investing through CFP:

Expert advice and tailored investment strategies.
Regular portfolio review and adjustments.
Better understanding of market trends and opportunities.
Long-Term Investment Strategy
A 10-year investment horizon is a substantial period, allowing you to ride out market volatility and benefit from compounding returns. Here's how you can make the most of your investments:

1. Stay Consistent with SIPs:
Continue your SIPs regularly to benefit from rupee cost averaging, which helps in buying more units when prices are low and fewer when prices are high.

2. Diversify Your Portfolio:
Ensure your portfolio remains diversified across different market caps and sectors to spread risk and capture growth from various segments.

3. Review and Rebalance:
Periodically review your portfolio with a CFP to ensure it aligns with your financial goals. Rebalancing helps in maintaining the desired asset allocation.

4. Monitor Performance:
Track the performance of your funds and compare them with benchmark indices. If a fund consistently underperforms, consider switching to better-performing alternatives.

5. Focus on Financial Goals:
Align your investments with specific financial goals, such as retirement, children's education, or buying a home. This helps in maintaining discipline and focus.

Investing in SIPs for a 10-year horizon is a smart choice. You've diversified across different types of funds, which is commendable. However, it's crucial to regularly review your portfolio, seek expert advice, and make adjustments as needed. Stay informed about market trends and remain consistent with your investments. Your financial journey is a marathon, not a sprint. With patience and prudent decision-making, you're likely to achieve your financial goals.

Dear Sir, I have an offer from Manipal Udupi (main campus) in joining Mechanical (from 3rd round of counseling). I am not interested on Mechanical, and I do not have any other offers in hand. I am thinking of dropping this year and preparing of JEE next year. Please note, my JEE result was below 80% percentile and PCM at 80% this year. Is it advisable to drop a year or going with Mech in Manipal-U (I am hearing that there would be few more intra-campus counselling rounds which might change my position from mech to other streams like electrical or electronics.
Ans: Bibek, what are you are referring is sliding / upgrading to other streams. Please note this depends upon the demands by other students belonging to Mechanical for ECE/CSE/EEE etc. and also your academic performance in 1st year. I normally do not recommend 'drop'. Besides, keeping in view your score in Board/JEE, it is not advisable. Better to join Manipal-Main Campus for Mechanical & try for sliding.

Some suggestions before / after joining Manipal. (1) Have a thorough research about Manipal Main Campus about its culture, hostel facilities, internship opportunities, placement records, infrastructure, faculties, quality of teaching etc. to yourself get mentally prepared (2) Keep upgrading your skills (3) Create a Professional LinkedIn Profile and keep updating it every 3-months, using keywords related to your domain / skills (4) Put Job Alerts in LinkeIn to get notifications to know about Job Market Trends to keep yourself updated (5) Connect with Professionals of your domain (not to ask for jobs) to gain knowledge from them and their views. All the Best for Your Bright Future.

To Know More on 'Education | Careers | Jobs', Ask / Follows us in RediffGURUS.

Aasif Ahmed Khan

Aasif Ahmed Khan   |64 Answers  |Ask -

Tech Career Expert - Answered on Jul 13, 2024

I had requested a company to provide internship plus project for my regular M.Tech course, instead i was offered internship plus job and contribution to pf was also there. In 3rd Sem we need to do internship which ended at Jan 2021, pf contribution started for month of October 2020. In 4th sem, no subject only project and i continued my job and project parallely This was during covid time, will this be a problem to work in IT gaint like TCS, If Yes, what best can i do ?
Ans: Having both an internship and a job during your M.Tech is commendable. It shows your commitment and multitasking abilities. The contribution to your provident fund (PF) is an added benefit. Remember, many successful professionals have navigated similar situations. Your dedication and adaptability will be valuable assets.

The pandemic accelerated the move toward hybrid workplaces, combining remote and in-person work. IT companies are increasingly open to flexible arrangements. Highlight your adaptability and remote work experience during interviews.

Update your resume and LinkedIn profile to reflect your internship, job, and project experience. Emphasize the skills you gained during your job and project. Showcase any relevant technologies or tools. Connect with professionals in your field. Attend virtual events and webinars. Prepare for technical interviews. Practice coding, algorithms, and system design. Understand TCS’s work culture, values, and projects. During interviews, explain your situation honestly. Highlight your achievements and how you managed both work and studies.

Aasif Ahmed Khan

Aasif Ahmed Khan   |64 Answers  |Ask -

My son recently completed his Btech Mechanical at Thapar Institute but still waiting for placement.He got 8.5 cg till 7th sem and cg of 8th sem not declared yet and I hope he will not get less than previous cg. Please guide us about his placement. Can he placed of campus? or but about his study now.
Ans: Job searches can be challenging, but persistence pays off. Remind your son to stay positive, keep refining his approach, and learn from any setbacks. Remember that every student’s journey is unique, and there’s no one-size-fits-all solution. Encourage your son to explore both on-campus and off-campus options, and support him throughout the process. Your son’s strong CGPA can certainly attract recruiters during these placement drives.

If on-campus placements don’t yield immediate results, off-campus placements are an alternative. Off-campus placements involve applying directly to companies outside the college. Your son can explore job portals, company websites, and networking platforms to find relevant job openings. Tailor his resume, write personalized cover letters, and apply proactively.

While waiting for placements, your son can enhance his skills. Consider certifications, online courses, or projects related to mechanical engineering. Practical experience and domain-specific knowledge can make him more attractive to employers. Networking plays a crucial role in off-campus placements. Encourage your son to connect with alumni, industry professionals, and attend job fairs or industry events.

Aasif Ahmed Khan

Aasif Ahmed Khan   |64 Answers  |Ask -