Tax Expert - Answered on Dec 06, 2023

Mihir Tanna has more than 10 years of experience in direct taxation, including filing income tax returns.
Vishal Question by Vishal on Jul 07, 2023Translate

I didn't have down payment of 20Lacs so couldn't buy home in navi mumbai so what if I buy home at Karad and now I am staying in Navi Mumbai on rent will i be able to claim HRA and home loan.Also if I bought new house after 3-4 years in navi mumbai can i claim tax benefit for both loans

Ans: Yes HRA can be claimed if own house property is in different city and due to employment, you have to stay on rent.

Further, with reference to deduction of Interest and Principle repayment on housing loan, subject to prescribed limit (Rs.2 lacs for self occupied home interest and Rs.1.5 lacs for principal repayment u/s 80C ), benefit can be taken for both houses.

Tejas

Tejas Chokshi  |126 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on Jun 12, 2023

Asked by Anonymous - Jun 05, 2023Translate
I didn't have down payment of 20Lacs so couldn't buy home in navi mumbai so what if I buy home at Karad will i be able to claim HRA and home loan.Also if I bought new house after 3-4 years in navi mumbai can i claim tax benefit for both loans
Ans: If you buy a home in Karad, you can claim tax benefits on a home loan, but you may not be eligible to claim House Rent Allowance (HRA). Here's an explanation:

Home Loan Benefits: If you purchase a house in Karad and take a home loan for that property, you can claim tax benefits on the loan under the following sections:

a. Deduction on Home Loan Interest (Section 24(b)): You can claim a deduction on the interest paid on the home loan up to Rs. 2 lakh per financial year, subject to certain conditions.

b. Deduction on Principal Repayment (Section 80C): You can claim a deduction on the principal repayment of the home loan under Section 80C, up to a maximum limit of Rs. 1.5 lakh per financial year, along with other eligible investments.

House Rent Allowance (HRA): HRA is a benefit provided to salaried individuals who live in a rented house. If you own a house in Karad and reside in it, you may not be eligible to claim HRA, as you are not paying rent.

Tax Benefits for a New House in Navi Mumbai: If you buy a new house in Navi Mumbai after 3-4 years, you can claim tax benefits on the home loan for that property as well. The tax benefits mentioned earlier (deduction on home loan interest and principal repayment) can be claimed for both properties separately, subject to the prescribed limits and conditions.

I will be retiring in October 2024 and expecting a retirement corpus of Rs 80 lakh. I would be spending 60 per cent of this amount on my son’s medical admission and studies. How should I invest the rest in different sectors to earn monthly income of nearly about 40,000?
Ans: Given your retirement corpus of Rs 80 lakh and your plan to allocate 60% of it towards your son's medical admission and studies, which amounts to Rs 48 lakh, you'll have Rs 32 lakh remaining for investment. To generate a monthly income of approximately Rs 40,000, you'll need to carefully plan your investment strategy. Here's a suggested approach:

1. Assess Your Risk Tolerance: Before investing, consider your risk tolerance, investment horizon, and financial goals. Since you're retiring soon and seeking a regular monthly income, it's advisable to focus on relatively stable and income-generating investment options.

2. Allocate Funds: With Rs 32 lakh available for investment, you can allocate the amount across different investment instruments to achieve diversification and manage risk.

3 Income-Generating Investments: To generate a monthly income of Rs 40,000, you'll need investments that offer regular payouts. Here are some options to consider:

a. Senior Citizen Savings Scheme (SCSS): This government-backed savings scheme offers quarterly interest payouts. You can invest up to Rs 15 lakh individually and earn regular income at a fixed interest rate, currently around 7.4% per annum.

b. Post Office Monthly Income Scheme (POMIS): Another government-backed scheme that provides monthly income. The maximum investment limit is Rs 4.5 lakh for an individual account and Rs 9 lakh for a joint account. The current interest rate is around 6.6% per annum.

c. Fixed Deposits (FDs): Consider investing a portion of your corpus in fixed deposits offered by banks or financial institutions. Opt for monthly interest payout FDs to generate regular income.

d. Debt Mutual Funds: Invest a portion in debt mutual funds that focus on generating steady income with relatively lower risk compared to equity funds. Choose funds with a track record of consistent returns and low expense ratios.

4. Systematic Withdrawal Plan (SWP): For investments in mutual funds or other growth-oriented instruments, consider setting up a systematic withdrawal plan. SWP allows you to withdraw a fixed amount regularly, which can serve as your monthly income.

5. Emergency Fund: Set aside a portion of your corpus as an emergency fund to cover unexpected expenses or contingencies. This fund should be easily accessible and parked in liquid or low-risk instruments like savings accounts or liquid funds.

6. Review and Adjust: Regularly review your investment portfolio to ensure it remains aligned with your financial goals and income requirements. Adjust your asset allocation and investment strategy as needed based on changing market conditions and personal circumstances.

It's crucial to consult with a financial advisor or planner who can provide personalised advice based on your specific situation and goals. They can help you create a comprehensive retirement plan and investment strategy tailored to your needs, risk tolerance, and income requirements. Additionally, consider tax implications on your investment income and consult with a tax advisor to optimise your tax efficiency.