Tax Expert - Answered on Dec 07, 2023

Mihir Tanna has more than 10 years of experience in direct taxation, including filing income tax returns.
Asked by Anonymous - Nov 28, 2023Translate

Hi My daughter is perusing MS in US . I have taken education loan. How i can claim while filling tax return ? What is the overall limit for higher education

Ans: You can take deduction u/s 80E for the interest paid during the year for 8 years (starting from the year in which loan repayment is started). There is no limit for interest deduction.

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Aug 26, 2023

Hello Mr. Sushil Sukhwani, thanks for your advise. Just need small clarification, my daughter will be going to USA after 12th but in your response it's says after bachelor's so can you pleaase look into this and confirm?
Ans: Hello Deepak,

First and foremost, thank you for contacting us. We are extremely sorry for the part pertaining to Educational prerequisites, having mistakenly written Bachelor’s. Pursuing medical studies in the USA can certainly be fruitful, however, multiple steps are involved in the process, right from preparing for standardized exams to making applications for universities. The application process is as under:

1. Prerequisites:
• Academics: Your daughter will need to complete 12 years of schooling comparable to that of the U.S. high school education. This typically requires completing grades 11th and 12th.
• Standardized Tests: Prepare for and give the requisite standardized tests:
â—¦ SAT or ACT: Undergraduate admissions require one to appear for general standardized exams like the SAT or ACT. Certain universities might favor one over the other.
â—¦ SAT Subject Tests: For competitive programs like medicine, specific subject exams might be needed or recommended by certain universities.
• English Proficiency: If English is not your daughter's primary language, appear for the TOEFL or IELTS English language proficiency test.

2. Research and Choose Universities:
• Universities and medical programs that correspond to your daugther’s academic objectives, choices, and monetary capabilities should be researched.

3. Entrance Tests:
• MCAT: The Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) is required for admission to the majority of American medical schools. An applicant’s comprehension of scientific principles, critical thinking, and problem-solving abilities are assessed in this standardized test.

4. Application Process:
• Online Applications: Via the Common Application or specific university websites, complete online applications.

• Transcripts: Academic marksheets including those of grades 11th and 12th, as well as any other pertinent education should be submitted.

• Recommendation Letters: Your daughter will require outstanding LoRs from professors, mentors, or professionals who can attest to her intellectual prowess and character.

• Statement of Purpose: Typically, applicants must compose a convincing personal statement outlining their purpose to pursue a medical career, relevant experiences, and attributes that make them a viable candidate.

• Extracurricular Activities: Talk about extracurricular activities, community service, leadership roles, and research experiences that you have undertaken.

5. Prepare Your Finances:
• Medical studies can be costly, therefore, budgeting is essential. Look into various scholarship opportunities, grants, and financial aid possibilities that universities offer.

6. Applying for a Visa:
• On being accepted, your daughter must apply for a student visa (F-1 visa) to study in USA. This entails submitting necessary documents, attending an interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate, and proving she can pay for her education and living costs.

7. Pre-departure Preparations:
• Before leaving for the USA, make accommodation, travel, and other essentials arrangements.

8. Arrival and Orientation:
• Once you arrive, adapt yourself to campus life and academic expectations by attending orientation programs organized by the university.

Depending on the university and course, the process can differ a little. Check the official websites of the universities your daughter is interested in frequently and adhere to their particular application guidelines and deadlines.

The medical sector in the USA being highly competitive, securing admission to medical schools can be difficult. Your daughter will need to maintain excellent academic standards, actively participate in extracurricular activities, and perform well on the required exams to increase her admission chances.

In addition, speaking with a qualified educational counselor or advisor who specializes in assisting students apply to foreign universities can provide tailored guidance throughout the application process.

What are balanced advantage funds and would you recommend how I should go about investing in such funds?
Ans: Balanced Advantage Funds are a type of mutual fund that dynamically manages the allocation between equity and debt instruments based on market conditions. These funds aim to provide investors with a balance between growth (through equity exposure) and stability (through debt exposure). The allocation between equity and debt is adjusted by fund managers based on various factors such as market valuations, interest rates, and economic indicators.

Here's a breakdown of the key features and considerations for investing in Balanced Advantage Funds:

1. Dynamic Asset Allocation: These funds have the flexibility to shift allocation between equity and debt depending on market conditions. When equity markets are expensive or overvalued, the fund manager may reduce equity exposure and increase allocation to debt instruments, and vice versa.

2. Risk Management: Balanced Advantage Funds tend to offer lower volatility compared to pure equity funds due to their ability to switch between asset classes based on market conditions. This can potentially reduce downside risk during market downturns.

3. Goal-based Investing: They can be suitable for investors with medium to long-term investment horizons who seek a balance between capital appreciation and capital preservation. These funds are often used for goals like retirement planning or wealth creation with a moderate risk profile.

4. Professional Management: Investors benefit from the expertise of professional fund managers who actively manage the asset allocation and investment decisions based on thorough research and analysis.

5. Tax Implications: From a taxation perspective, gains from equity investments held for more than one year are taxed at a lower rate (long-term capital gains tax), whereas gains from debt investments held for more than three years are taxed as per the investor's income tax slab. Balanced Advantage Funds may offer tax efficiency due to their equity exposure.

6. Expense Ratio: Investors should consider the expense ratio of the fund, which represents the annual fees charged by the fund house for managing the fund. Lower expense ratios can enhance returns over the long term.

As for whether you should invest in Balanced Advantage Funds, it depends on your investment objectives, risk tolerance, and financial goals.

If you're seeking a balanced approach with the potential for higher returns than pure debt funds but with lower volatility compared to pure equity funds, then these funds could be suitable for you. However, it's essential to consult with a financial advisor who can assess your individual circumstances and recommend the most appropriate investment strategy.

If you decide to invest in Balanced Advantage Funds, you can do so through various platforms such as mutual fund distributors, online investment platforms, or directly through the fund house's website. Here's a general guide on how to invest:

1. Research: Understand the different Balanced Advantage Funds available in the market, their investment objectives, performance track record, and expense ratios.

2. Select a Fund: Choose a fund that aligns with your investment goals, risk tolerance, and time horizon.

3. KYC Compliance: Complete the Know Your Customer (KYC) process as required by regulatory guidelines. This typically involves providing identity and address proof documents.

4. Investment Process: Decide on the mode of investment, whether lump sum or systematic investment plan (SIP), based on your convenience and investment strategy.

5. Online Platform or Distributor: If investing through an online platform, create an account and follow the instructions to invest in your chosen Balanced Advantage Fund. If using a mutual fund distributor, approach them with your investment decision, and they will assist you with the investment process.

6. Monitor and Review: Keep track of your investments periodically and review your portfolio to ensure it remains aligned with your financial goals.

Remember that all investments carry some level of risk, including the potential loss of capital. Diversification and a long-term investment approach are generally recommended to mitigate risk and achieve your financial objectives.

Good Morning, We are married for almost 27 years and at various stages of my wife like, beginning days when Girls had dream of her happy married life beginning, honeymoon, pregnancy, fostering the child, mid-age crisis and now Menopause I have been very unfair & sometime very cruel to my wife. I am tryint to please her in my possible ways but whenever I am planning something exciting & pleasurable for her it turn out to be flop show & nightmare. I want her to be happy but don't know why it gets spoiled due to one or other reason. Despite of all this she is always giving me chance and prepare herself for new beginning. But now I fear & feel gradually I will become a big liability on her, health wise as I am diabetic and even after taking high dose of medicines it doesn't get controlled. I am worried that though the beginning was not good our end should be Peaceful & graceful. Need your guidance
No point revisiting what has already happened. It seems like your wife wants a new beginning; then why not actually plan on how you want your life together to be from now on? What are the things that you have missed out on earlier, bring it all back and slowly start experiencing what life could be living in that harmony...
As for diabetes, getting the right medicine and taking it in the right dosage is important to see a change. Also, exercise, attempt to keep stress levels low and eat right...these help in keeping your blood sugar levels low...
Don't talk about the END when there is a NEW beginning in sight...