Ulhas

Ulhas Joshi  |266 Answers  |Ask -

Mutual Fund Expert - Answered on Dec 08, 2023

With over 16 years of experience in the mutual fund industry, Ulhas Joshi has helped numerous clients choose the right funds and create wealth.
Prior to joining RankMF as CEO, he was vice president (sales) at IDBI Asset Management Ltd.
Vijay Question by Vijay on Jul 04, 2023Hindi

Dear Sir, I am 26 years old (still single) and have net salary of 50000 per month. Since I am living with my parents a considerable amount of my salary is saved on monthly basis. With a long term view of 20-25 years I have already started investment through SIP in Kotak Small Cap Fund and PPFAS (Rs.5100.00 each per month). I want to invest more (about 10000-15000 per month). Kindly suggest in which asset I should start investing. If it is MF, kindly also suggest scheme(s). Thanks & regards.

Ans: Hello Vijay and thanks for writing to me. I discuss only mutual funds. As you wish to invest a higher corpus, you can consider starting SIP's of Rs.5,000 each in:

1-DSP Quant Fund
2-Edelweiss NIFTY 100 Quality 30 Index Fund
3-SBI Focused Equity Fund

I am recommending these funds assuming you are fine with the high risk of equity investments and your horizon being long term. If you share your goals, horizon and risk appetite, I may recommend other funds.

Sir, Now I am 55 and started investing since last two years ago, due to family responsibilities. Now I am investing in (1) HDFC Midcap opportunities fund direct plan Rs 5000 (2) Mirae asset large cap and mid cap fund direct growth plan Rs 5000 (3) Nippon India Small Cap fund direct growth plan Rs 8000 (4) Parag Parikh flexicap fund RS 2000 per month. I will be remain invested for min 10 years. And retired with normal corpus. Not big. Please suggest for investment, Within Rs 20000- per month.
Ans: It's never too late to start investing, and it's admirable that you've taken this step towards securing your financial future, especially with family responsibilities and approaching retirement. Let's explore some suggestions for your investment within your budget of Rs 20,000 per month:

Diversify Your Portfolio: Your current portfolio already includes a mix of mid-cap, large-cap, small-cap, and flexi-cap funds, which is a good start. To further diversify, consider adding a balanced fund or a hybrid fund, which invests in a mix of equities and debt instruments. This can provide stability while still offering growth potential.
Consider Debt Investments: As you approach retirement, it's essential to balance your portfolio with debt investments to reduce overall risk. You can allocate a portion of your monthly investment towards debt funds or fixed-income instruments like PPF, RDs, or bonds. These investments offer steady returns and help preserve capital.
Evaluate Risk Tolerance: Given your age and investment horizon of at least 10 years, you can afford to take on some risk to achieve higher returns. However, it's crucial to assess your risk tolerance and ensure that your investment choices align with your comfort level.
Review and Rebalance Regularly: Periodically review your investment portfolio to ensure it remains aligned with your financial goals, risk tolerance, and market conditions. Rebalance your portfolio if necessary, considering changes in your financial situation or investment objectives.
Consult with a Financial Advisor: Consider consulting with a Certified Financial Planner or financial advisor who can provide personalized advice based on your specific needs and goals. They can help you create a customized investment plan and provide guidance on asset allocation, portfolio diversification, and risk management.
Stay Invested for the Long Term: Investing for retirement requires patience and discipline. Continue to invest regularly and stay committed to your long-term financial goals. Avoid making impulsive decisions based on short-term market fluctuations.
Remember, investing is a journey, and it's essential to remain focused on your goals while adapting to changing circumstances. With careful planning and prudent investment choices, you can build a secure financial future for yourself and your family. Keep up the good work, and best of luck on your investment journey!

HI, I am 41 years old and want to start a SIP to give a return of 20 lakh in next 15 yrs for children education. which fund I should choose?
Ans: Goal Assessment

You aim to accumulate Rs. 20 lakh over the next 15 years for your children's education.

Starting a SIP is a smart way to achieve this goal.

Let's explore the best approach to meet your objective.

Investment Horizon and Risk Appetite

You have a long-term horizon of 15 years.

This allows you to take on more risk for potentially higher returns.

Equity mutual funds are suitable for long-term goals.

Types of Equity Mutual Funds

Large-Cap Funds: Invest in big, stable companies. Less risky but moderate returns.

Mid-Cap Funds: Invest in medium-sized companies. Moderate risk and returns.

Small-Cap Funds: Invest in smaller companies. High risk but high returns.

Flexi-Cap Funds: Invest across various company sizes. Balanced risk and returns.

Why Not Index Funds?

Index funds follow the market. They lack active management.

Actively managed funds aim to beat the market.

This offers potentially higher returns.

For your goal, actively managed funds are better.

Professional Management: Managed by experts.

Personal Guidance: Certified Financial Planner can guide you.

Better Performance: Regular monitoring and adjustments.

Choosing the Right Funds

Diversify across different types of funds.

This balances risk and reward.

A mix of large-cap, mid-cap, and small-cap funds is ideal.

Example Allocation Strategy

Large-Cap Fund: 40% for stability and steady growth.

Mid-Cap Fund: 30% for moderate growth.

Small-Cap Fund: 20% for high growth potential.

Flexi-Cap Fund: 10% for balanced growth.

Regular Monitoring and Review

Review your investments annually.

Adjust based on performance and changing market conditions.

Seek advice from a Certified Financial Planner regularly.

Benefits of SIP

Discipline: Ensures regular investment.

Rupee Cost Averaging: Buys more units when prices are low.

Compounding: Helps in wealth creation over time.

Why Avoid Direct Funds?

Direct funds lack personal guidance.

You miss out on expert advice.

Certified Financial Planners provide valuable insights.

Starting a SIP for your child's education is a wise decision.

Choose a mix of large-cap, mid-cap, small-cap, and flexi-cap funds.

Regularly review and adjust your portfolio.

Seek professional guidance to stay on track.