Dr Ashit

Dr Ashit Hegde  |180 Answers  |Ask -

Consultant Physician, Internal Medicine and Critical Care Expert - Answered on Apr 18, 2023

Dr Ashit Hegde specialises in internal medicine and intensive care. He has nearly 40 years of experience and is consultant physician, intensivist and head of the critical care section at the PD Hinduja Hospital and Medical Research Centre.
He is actively involved in teaching and training residents for post graduate programmes in internal medicine and critical care.
Varun Question by Varun on Apr 06, 2023Hindi

Hey my Mom is 63 yrs old and is suffering from Liver Cirrohosis, Doctors have advised to go for Liver Transplant, is it advisable at her age.

Ans: yes it is advisable , If the liver specialists have advised it. 63 is not a very old age

Dr Hemalata

Dr Hemalata Arora  |201 Answers  |Ask -

General Physician - Answered on Jun 09, 2023

Sir my mom who is 63 yrs old has undergone a liver transplant 10 days back. Unfortunately the doctors realised that the donated liver of donor was Basically of a person who was a heavy drinker and had drink alchol on the day of surgery as well. My mother is shifted to ward now and as per the doctor she is doing fine. But she in the night is getting scared and becomes very anxious and feels as if she doesnt wnt to continue her life. During the day time she is completely ok. Just wanted to know the consequences of getting a toxic liver and would my mother have any pblms in future
Ans: Hello. This is an unusual problem. Typically, before transplant doctors run a very extensive battery of tests to understand the function of the donor liver as the surgery is very complex and should not be done without all parameters being met. I'm quite sure in this case also a similar level of due diligence would've been performed. It is possible that the liver of the donor remained normal and functioning well despite the fact that the donor consumed alcohol. Every liver behaves differently with alcohol, and it is only if the alcohol consumption was very high for a long time that the liver gets affected. Also, some people naturally are protected against liver damage. It is likely that this person was one such who could metabolize the alcohol very well. So, please reassure your mother that she is very safe and has recovered well from a very complex surgery. There are some medications and care to be taken but she's over the most complicated part. She can be comfortable with the knowledge that this liver is very strong and will work well for her as well. All the best!

HI, I am 41 years old and want to start a SIP to give a return of 20 lakh in next 15 yrs for children education. which fund I should choose?
Ans: Goal Assessment

You aim to accumulate Rs. 20 lakh over the next 15 years for your children's education.

Starting a SIP is a smart way to achieve this goal.

Let's explore the best approach to meet your objective.

Investment Horizon and Risk Appetite

You have a long-term horizon of 15 years.

This allows you to take on more risk for potentially higher returns.

Equity mutual funds are suitable for long-term goals.

Types of Equity Mutual Funds

Large-Cap Funds: Invest in big, stable companies. Less risky but moderate returns.

Mid-Cap Funds: Invest in medium-sized companies. Moderate risk and returns.

Small-Cap Funds: Invest in smaller companies. High risk but high returns.

Flexi-Cap Funds: Invest across various company sizes. Balanced risk and returns.

Why Not Index Funds?

Index funds follow the market. They lack active management.

Actively managed funds aim to beat the market.

This offers potentially higher returns.

For your goal, actively managed funds are better.

Professional Management: Managed by experts.

Personal Guidance: Certified Financial Planner can guide you.

Better Performance: Regular monitoring and adjustments.

Choosing the Right Funds

Diversify across different types of funds.

This balances risk and reward.

A mix of large-cap, mid-cap, and small-cap funds is ideal.

Example Allocation Strategy

Large-Cap Fund: 40% for stability and steady growth.

Mid-Cap Fund: 30% for moderate growth.

Small-Cap Fund: 20% for high growth potential.

Flexi-Cap Fund: 10% for balanced growth.

Regular Monitoring and Review

Review your investments annually.

Adjust based on performance and changing market conditions.

Seek advice from a Certified Financial Planner regularly.

Benefits of SIP

Discipline: Ensures regular investment.

Rupee Cost Averaging: Buys more units when prices are low.

Compounding: Helps in wealth creation over time.

Why Avoid Direct Funds?

Direct funds lack personal guidance.

You miss out on expert advice.

Certified Financial Planners provide valuable insights.

Starting a SIP for your child's education is a wise decision.

Choose a mix of large-cap, mid-cap, small-cap, and flexi-cap funds.

Regularly review and adjust your portfolio.

Seek professional guidance to stay on track.

I am a PSU employee. Now started getting EPFO pension after the age of 58 years. Where shall I show this amount received in ITR? In Salary Section or Income from other sources? If it is to be shown in the salary section, is the employer is the same as that of my current employee? Presently my age is 59 years and still working in the same PSU.
Ans: Receiving your EPFO pension after the age of 58 is a significant milestone. Given your current age of 59 and your ongoing employment with the same PSU, it's crucial to understand how to report this pension income correctly in your Income Tax Return (ITR).

Where to Report EPFO Pension in ITR
Salary Section vs. Income from Other Sources:
Income from Other Sources: EPFO pension is considered as "Income from Other Sources". This means it should be reported under this section in your ITR.
Reporting Details
Employer Details:
When reporting EPFO pension under "Income from Other Sources", you do not need to list your current employer as the source. The pension is disbursed by the Employees' Provident Fund Organization (EPFO), which acts as the payer.
Continued Employment
Working Beyond 58 Years:
Since you are still working in the same PSU, your current salary will continue to be reported under the "Salary" section of your ITR.
There is no overlap or confusion between the two sources of income.
Tax Implications
Taxable Income:
The EPFO pension is fully taxable as per your applicable tax slab.
Make sure to include the entire amount received in the relevant section to avoid any discrepancies.
Benefits of Correct Reporting
Compliance:
Correctly reporting your pension income ensures compliance with tax regulations.
This helps in avoiding any potential scrutiny or penalties from tax authorities.
Ensuring Accuracy
Double-check Figures:
Verify the pension amount received with the statements provided by EPFO.
Cross-check with your bank statements to ensure accuracy.
Professional Advice
Certified Financial Planner (CFP):
Consulting a Certified Financial Planner can provide additional insights into managing your retirement income effectively.
They can help you optimize your tax liabilities and ensure you are maximizing your financial benefits.
Insight into Pension and Salary Reporting
Separate Sources:
Keep your salary income and pension income distinctly separate in your financial records.
This clarity helps in maintaining accurate and transparent financial management.
Clear Distinctions:

Understand the distinction between salary income and pension income.
Report EPFO pension under "Income from Other Sources".
Professional Guidance:

Utilize the expertise of a Certified Financial Planner for comprehensive financial planning.
Ensure compliance with tax regulations to avoid any future issues.
Summary
Do not list current employer details for the pension.
Pension income is fully taxable.
Consult a Certified Financial Planner for optimal financial management.