Dr Archana

Dr Archana Bajaj  | Answer  |Ask -

Gynaecologist, Obstetrician, IVF Expert - Answered on Apr 05, 2023

Dr Archana Dhawan Bajaj is an infertility specialist with over two decades of experience in IVF and reproductive medicine.
She founded The Nurture IVF Clinic in New Delhi in 2003.
Dr Bajaj has completed her MBBS from Maulana Azad Medical College and has a diploma in gynaecology and obstetrics and DNB (obstetrics and gynaecology) from the Sir Ganga Ram Hospital.
Ashwini Question by Ashwini on Mar 19, 2023Hindi

Hi doctor, I've been having periods problems past 3 years.. I was earlier diagnosed with pcos, with and deit and weight maintanence the condition is reversed, yet I'm facing irregular periods I underwent multiple scans the test results were positive( like there are no cysts and issue with the ovaries in the ultrasound scan and fsh tsh and hormone results are positive). I'm 5'4 65 kg, I workout regularly and eat healthy and only rarely I eat junk food. Only with help of hormone tabs I'm able to mensurate. Could anyone suggest what needs to be done like any test I need to take up ?

Ans: PCOS is a condition of the ovary that one is born with. You can optimize the hormonal imbalances in PCO, but the condition never factually reverses because it is a type of theory. So, lifestyle modifications and medication are sometimes necessary to ensure that regular ovulation happens with PCO. Lifestyle modification in terms of diet control, exercise, medication like metformin, MYO inositol. In exceptional cases, cyclical contraceptive pills, etc., may be needed to regulate cycles and ensure hormonal imbalances in PCO, PCOS with androgen excess, men need medication like spironolactone and aldactone to optimize their hormonal imbalances. Weight loss often helps to optimize the condition and resume ovulation in cases of PCOS. Since you weigh 64 kilos, it might be a good idea to lose around 7 to 8 kgs of weight, which will help further improve the cycles.