Dr Vinod

Dr Vinod Kumar  |133 Answers  |Ask -

Kidney Health Specialist - Answered on Apr 28, 2024

Dr Vinod Kumar is a consultant kidney health specialist at Aster RV Hospital, Bengaluru. His expertise includes critical care nephrology, paediatric nephrology and kidney transplantation. He has performed more than 500 kidney transplants, including robotic and high-risk transplants.
Dipesh Question by Dipesh on Mar 15, 2024Hindi

Dear Sir, Below is the report of my wife CT SCAN CONTRAST My question is for KIDNEY damage that how much chances are there if kidney stone operation done successfully, means as of now kidney is works or not works. MSCT SCAN OF KUB MSCT imaging was performed using submillimeter thin contiguous axial scan of KUB with oral and I.V. contrast. Coronal and sagittal Reformatted images were obtained. FINDINGS/OBSERVATIONS: Right kidney and ureter: RK measures :72 x 36 mm 4 mm sized calculus (800 HU) is noted in lower calyx of right kidney. Rightkidney shows moderate hydronephrosis with dilated upper ureter with presence of 11.5 x 7 mm sized calculus (1400hu) approximately 3.6 cm distal to the right PUJ. There is seen multiple cortical scarring and thinning of parenchyma involving the right kidney. No renal mass or other lesions. N Left kidney and ureter: LK measures :107x50 mm. No calculi. No hydronephrosis or hydroureter. No renal mass or other lesions. No urothelial lesions: No filling defect, dilation, stricture or wall thickening. Urinary bladder: Well distended. No evidence of calculi or obvious mass lesion. On post-contrast study, both the kidneys shows normal post-contrast enhancement and simultaneous excretion. IMPRESSION: 1. Right kidney shows moderate hydronephrosis with dilated upper ureter with presence of 11.5 x 7 mm sized calculus (1400hu) approximately 3.6 cm distal to the right PUJ. 2. Multiple cortical scarring and thinning of parenchyma involving the right kidney.

Ans: Need to consult an Urologist.

Dr Hemalata

Dr Hemalata Arora  |186 Answers  |Ask -

General Physician - Answered on May 25, 2023

Hello Doctor-DD here and am 50 years old. I had lower back pain on left hand side along with radiating pain in left groin area since end of March 2023. After initial local pain management, the pain did not go, so my GP asked me to do LS Spine MRI. The report suggested some nerve root issue in L4 and L5, so I was asked to refer it to spine specialist. I tried to connect with Dr. Bapat at Nanavati Hospital, but could not see him as his assistant reviewed the reports and said its mild and suggested medicines – Ultracet 1-0-1 for 10 days, Vitencial – 0-1-0 for 30 days and Calciman K10 – 0-1-0 for 30 days. However, the pain persisted with bit of increase in pain in groin area. So the assistant suggested that for pain in groin area better to check with general surgeon about hernia and / or prostate. Since my regular GP is out of town and I had to take my mother to see Dr. Pande, Urologist at Kokilanben Hospital for Urinary Tract problems. So I checked with him about my problem. So he first did Uroflow test and then physically examined the prostate also and later said it’s all fine. He said due to L4-L5 nerve issue, there is pain in groin area and suggested medication – Synaptol 50mg 1-0-1 for 3 weeks, Pregablin (50mg) 0-0-1 for 6 weeks and Etoshine 90mg – 1-0-0 for 10 days and said to do USG of Groin, PSA (total) test and HBA1C after 6 weeks and then again see him. I have started his medication from 20.5.23. He said this type of pain is due to L4-L5 nerve falls under his area and now there is no need to again see Dr. Bapat (I am scheduled for his appointment on 29.5.23). I had also done MRI for hip joints in Nov 22 and the reports were normal. Please note all through last 2-3 months, most of the time the pain is dull and mild specially when in sitting position and at times in sleeping position. If I stand, walk, there is as good as no pain or very very minimal pain. But the pain still continues but in less intensity. Since yesterday, I have also started getting pain on right hand side also, but it pains only while getting up and / or twisting the body a bit here and there. Also, today morning I was having some burning sensation in pelvic area in sleeping position but no pain at that time. I am worried about all this and do not understand what the problem could be and why it is taking so long to become normal and whether all these pains is only due to L4-L5 nerve root issue or is it due to some other complications. I had done CBC test, LFT, KFT, Routine Urine and stool test around one month back and the reports were all normal.
Ans: This would need a thorough examination in addition to the tests that were done. The possibilities are nerve root pain both in the lumbosacral and cervical areas accounting for the arms pain and pelvis and leg pain, vitamin B12 deficiency, folic acid deficiency, or a kind of nerve inflammation. Please do keep your appointment with Dr Bapat on 29th and in fact you may please come meet me as well on the same day.

Hi. Can my mother of two sons get her will registered for a residential property with half share each for both her Sons. Now the property was registered in mother's name in year 2000 for 15 lacs. A loan was taken by the younger son for 12 lacs to finance the property. This loan was in due course paid off. Now mother in present situation is aged and wants to will her property equally to both her sons. Can she go ahead with registered will. Also what other documentation needs to be done so that there is no dispute in future among brothers.
Ans: Yes, your mother can get her will registered for the residential property, allocating half share to each of her sons. This process involves several steps to ensure that the will is legally valid and that there are no disputes in the future.

Steps to Register the Will
Drafting the Will: The will should clearly state her intention to divide the property equally between both sons. It should include specific details about the property, such as its location, registration details, and any other pertinent information.

Appointment of Executors: Your mother should appoint one or more executors in her will. Executors are responsible for carrying out the terms of the will. It is advisable to choose trustworthy and impartial executors.

Witnesses: The will must be signed by your mother in the presence of at least two witnesses who are not beneficiaries in the will. The witnesses must also sign the will, confirming that they saw her sign it.

Registration of the Will: Although not mandatory, registering the will with the local sub-registrar’s office is highly recommended. This provides a legal safeguard against future disputes. The process involves:

Visiting the local sub-registrar’s office.
Submitting the will along with required documents (proof of identity, proof of residence, etc.).
Paying the registration fee.
The sub-registrar will then record and register the will.
Additional Documentation and Steps to Prevent Future Disputes
To further ensure there are no disputes in the future, consider the following additional steps:

Family Settlement Agreement: If both sons agree, your mother can draft a family settlement agreement. This agreement can state that both sons have agreed to the equal division of the property and that they will respect the terms of the will. This should be signed by all parties involved and can be notarized for added legal strength.

Declaration of No Objection: Both sons can sign a No Objection Certificate (NOC) stating they have no objections to the property being divided equally as per their mother’s will. This can be attached to the will or kept as a separate

Consulting a Lawyer: It is advisable to consult with a property lawyer to ensure that all legal formalities are correctly followed. The lawyer can help draft the will, the family settlement agreement, and the NOC to ensure they are legally binding.

Updating Property Records: Once the will is registered, ensure that the property records reflect your mother’s ownership clearly. This will prevent any claims of ownership or legal complications in the future.

Informing Family Members: Make sure that all family members, especially the beneficiaries, are aware of the will and its contents. Transparency can often prevent misunderstandings and disputes.

Summary
Your mother can proceed with registering her will to divide her property equally between her two sons. The will must be drafted properly, witnessed, and ideally registered with the sub-registrar’s office. Additional steps, such as a family settlement agreement and a No Objection Certificate, can provide further assurance that there will be no disputes in the future.

By following these steps and seeking professional legal advice, your mother can ensure her wishes are respected and that her sons can receive their shares without any legal complications.

Hello sir, I am a 41 year old, have a dependend wife and 10 yr old daughter. I have a monthly income of 2.20 lakh in hand, 1 lakhs in equity stocks, 15 lakhs in MF lumpsum, 10 lakh in FD and 7 lakh in NSC. I pay 35,000 for SIP monthly, pay PPF 10,000 monthly, pay 5,000 monthly for NPS and pay SSY for daughter 12,000 monthly and PPF for wife 12,000 monthly. How should i plan my retirement corpus?? Is it enough or shall i invest more?? I want to plan retirement at the age of 52.
Ans: Planning for Retirement: A Comprehensive Guide

Assessing Your Current Financial Position

You have shared valuable details about your current financial situation. It is evident that you have a strong foundation with various investments and savings. This shows a commendable level of financial discipline and foresight. Your monthly income is Rs 2.20 lakh, and you have significant investments in different financial instruments. Let's break down your current investments:

Equity Stocks: Rs 1 lakh
Mutual Funds (MF) Lumpsum: Rs 15 lakh
Fixed Deposit (FD): Rs 10 lakh
National Savings Certificate (NSC): Rs 7 lakh
Monthly SIP: Rs 35,000
Public Provident Fund (PPF): Rs 10,000
National Pension System (NPS): Rs 5,000
Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana (SSY) for your daughter: Rs 12,000
PPF for your wife: Rs 12,000
This diversified portfolio shows a balanced approach, combining equity, fixed income, and government-backed savings schemes. Each investment has a role to play in your overall financial plan.

Setting Retirement Goals

Planning for retirement is essential, especially when you aim to retire early at the age of 52. This gives you 11 more years to build a robust retirement corpus. The key to a successful retirement plan is to estimate your future needs and ensure your investments align with those needs.

Your current lifestyle and expenses will impact your retirement needs. You need to consider inflation, medical expenses, and lifestyle changes post-retirement. It's crucial to have a clear vision of the lifestyle you wish to maintain during retirement.

Evaluating Existing Investments

Let's evaluate the efficiency of your current investments:

Equity Stocks: You have Rs 1 lakh in equity stocks. Equity investments are crucial for long-term growth. However, individual stock investments can be volatile and risky. It’s essential to diversify and periodically review your stock portfolio.

Mutual Funds (MF): You have Rs 15 lakh in mutual funds and contribute Rs 35,000 monthly through SIPs. Mutual funds are an excellent choice for diversification and professional management. Actively managed funds often outperform passive funds, as fund managers can adapt to market changes.

Fixed Deposit (FD): With Rs 10 lakh in FDs, you have a secure, low-risk investment. However, the returns may not keep pace with inflation. It’s essential to balance FDs with higher-yield investments.

National Savings Certificate (NSC): Rs 7 lakh in NSCs provides guaranteed returns and tax benefits. However, like FDs, the returns may not beat inflation.

Public Provident Fund (PPF): You contribute Rs 10,000 monthly to PPF. PPF offers tax benefits and a decent interest rate, making it a good long-term investment.

National Pension System (NPS): Contributing Rs 5,000 monthly to NPS is a smart move for retirement planning. NPS provides market-linked returns with an added tax benefit.

Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana (SSY): Rs 12,000 monthly towards SSY for your daughter is an excellent choice. SSY offers high interest rates and is a secure investment for her future.

PPF for Wife: Contributing Rs 12,000 monthly to PPF for your wife is beneficial. It ensures her financial security with tax benefits.

Assessing Future Needs

To plan your retirement corpus effectively, we need to assess your future needs. Consider the following factors:

Living Expenses: Estimate your current monthly expenses and adjust for inflation to project future expenses.
Healthcare: Anticipate higher medical costs as you age.
Lifestyle Goals: Consider travel, hobbies, or any new pursuits you plan to enjoy post-retirement.
Daughter’s Education and Marriage: Ensure you allocate funds for your daughter's higher education and marriage.
Projecting Retirement Corpus

Based on your future needs, we can project the retirement corpus required. Without specific calculations, let's outline the steps:

Estimate Monthly Expenses: Consider your current expenses and project them with an annual inflation rate.
Account for Medical Costs: Healthcare costs typically increase with age.
Consider Lifestyle Changes: Factor in any new activities or travel plans.
Include Contingencies: Always have a buffer for unexpected expenses.
Once you have a monthly expense estimate, multiply it by the number of years you expect to live post-retirement. This gives a rough estimate of the required corpus.

Enhancing Your Investment Strategy

Given your current investments and goals, let’s explore how to enhance your strategy:

Increase Equity Exposure: Considering your long-term horizon, increasing exposure to equity mutual funds can provide higher returns. Actively managed funds, with professional fund managers, can help achieve better performance compared to index funds.

Review and Rebalance Portfolio: Regularly review your portfolio to ensure it aligns with your goals. Rebalancing helps maintain the desired asset allocation and mitigates risk.

Increase SIP Contributions: Gradually increase your SIP contributions to benefit from compounding. This disciplined approach can significantly boost your corpus.

Diversify Investments: Diversify within asset classes to reduce risk. Consider various mutual fund categories and sectors.

Tax Efficiency: Utilize tax-efficient instruments to maximize returns. Investments like PPF, NPS, and SSY offer tax benefits under different sections of the Income Tax Act.

Addressing Disadvantages of Index Funds and Direct Funds

Index funds, while popular, have certain disadvantages. They passively track indices and may underperform during market downturns. Active funds, managed by experts, can adapt to market conditions and potentially offer better returns.

Direct funds may seem cost-effective, but they require more research and active management. Investing through a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) ensures professional guidance, better fund selection, and periodic reviews. CFPs provide personalized advice, helping you navigate complex financial decisions.

Monitoring and Adjusting Your Plan

Retirement planning is not a one-time activity. Regular monitoring and adjustments are essential to stay on track. Here are some steps to ensure your plan remains effective:

Annual Reviews: Conduct annual reviews of your financial plan. Assess performance, rebalance your portfolio, and make necessary adjustments.

Life Changes: Adjust your plan for any significant life changes, such as job changes, health issues, or family needs.

Stay Informed: Keep yourself updated on market trends, new investment opportunities, and regulatory changes.

Seek Professional Advice: Regularly consult with a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) to ensure your strategy aligns with your goals.

You have a solid foundation for your retirement planning with diversified investments. To ensure a comfortable retirement at 52, focus on increasing equity exposure, maximizing tax efficiency, and regularly reviewing your portfolio. Working with a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) will provide you with expert guidance and personalized advice.

Your disciplined approach to savings and investments is commendable. By continuing to plan strategically and adjusting as needed, you can achieve your retirement goals and secure a financially stable future for your family.

Hi My son is in class 12th CBSE. Would be looking for admission in overseas universities for next year admissions. He has taken Physics, Chemistry and Biology as his main subjects. Can you guide me which subjects he can choose for his undergraduate course or which course should he choose for a better career. Also, kindly guide me which countries would be better for him.
Ans: Saumyaa Madam, please let me know, your son is interested in which subject / stream / course? His academic performance in 10th / 12th? If possible, please arrange for him to attempt a 'Psychometric Test' (available online) for Rs.1000-2000 approx. Test Report provides information about his level of Aptitude, Attitude, Interest, Personality Traits & his orientation Style. You will get a basic idea. After going through this process, please come back and ask with your feedback to recommend the right country / course etc. All the BEST for your Son's Bright Future. To know more on ‘ Careers | Education | Jobs | Resume Writing | Profile Building | Salary Negotiation Skills | Building Professional LinkedIn Profile | Choosing Right School Board (State | Matriculation | CBSE | ICSE |International Board) | Student Psychological Counselling | Exam Preparation Techniques (Board | Entrance & Competitive)| Job Interview Skills | Skill Upgrading | Parenting & Child Upbringing Skills | Career Transition | Abroad Education | Education Loan (India | Abroad) | Scholarship (India | Abroad)’, please FOLLOW me in RediffGURU here.

Nayagam PP |
EduJob360 |
CERTIFIED Career Coach
https://www.linkedin.com/in/edujob360/

I purchased an NSC in 2018 and paid tax every year for the interest on accrual basis. But it seems from last year, post offices are providing data to AIS on receipt basis, that is, whole amount of interest on maturity. What happens to the money I paid as taxes in previous years on the same basis? How do I adjust them? Please help as many people I now face this issue.
Ans: You're right! The tax treatment of NSC interest can be confusing. Here's what you need to know:

Good news: The taxes you've paid on the accrued interest in previous years are valid. You don't need to adjust them.

Why?

The Income Tax department in India treats interest earned on NSCs on an accrual basis, even though the interest is paid out at maturity. This means you were correct to pay taxes on the accrued interest every year.

What about the data mismatch with AIS?

The post office might now be reporting the entire interest on maturity to the Annual Information Statement (AIS). This can create a discrepancy.

How to handle it?

• You don't need to file any corrections for previous years.
• When filing your current year's return, consider the following:

1. If you consistently claimed the accrued interest as income in previous years, only report the interest for the final year (maturity year) in your current return. This avoids double taxation.
2. You can file feedback in the AIS portal mentioning that the interest for the previous years was already offered for tax purposes. This helps in clarifying the situation.

Additional tips:

• It's advisable to maintain records of your previous tax returns where you declared the accrued interest.
• If you have any concerns, consult a tax advisor for personalized guidance specific to your situation.

This is a common issue faced by many NSC holders. By following these steps, you can ensure your tax filing remains accurate.

Sir, We've observed that you tend to recommend institutions like VIT, which have a non-transparent category system (where you 'buy' your way up over other deserving students) over Manipal CSE at both the main campus and the Bangalore campus. You also seem to favor institutions such as RV (I am from RV and a Bangalorean for over 40 years) and BMS, which are no doubt good , but ranked lower than Main Manipal in their placements. Is there a particular reason for this bias against Manipal in your recommendations? Manipal Sikkim, we can understand. Please note, I do not have any family connections to Manipal nor We have anyone studying there. We are exploring fallback options including Manipal for our son in case he doesn't get his desired branch at BITS Pilani or NITs. If a reason as to why 'No Manipal' it'll be helpful for all. Thank you for your guidance.
Ans: Thanks for your feedback. Regarding Manipal, it is one of the top-ranked universities with good placements. I had clearly mentioned it is not suitable, only for SOME (not all) students due to some reasons and the feedback I got some from Manipal students on 'Non-Academic / Psychological' Factors. Psychological factors also play an important role for careers. There are students who are academically strong, but psychologically might be average or below. Regarding VIT, most of the parents'/candidates' questions do not specifically refer about the Category they got. If they clearly mention about the category, I reply accordingly that, to go for VIT only if they can afford the fees. I hope I have clarified your clarified your doubt. Thanks once again for your feedback and for reading my answers. All the BEST for Your Son's Bright Future.