Harsh

Harsh Bharwani  |55 Answers  |Ask -

Entrepreneurship Expert - Answered on Oct 19, 2023

Harsh Bharwani is a fourth generation entrepreneur.
As CEO and managing director, he leads the international business and employability initiatives at the computer networking institute, Jetking Infotrain Limited.
After graduating from Delhi University, Bharwani joined the family business in 2010 and set up operations in the US and Vietnam.
Harish Question by Harish on Jul 04, 2023Translate

I worked almost for 24 years in sales & marketing deptt.of various leading multinationals like Glaxo,AkzoNobel,ICI Dulux,Lupin and national like Sintex Ind,Vinod Denim.I was star performer but never ever ventured into personal business.I have prepared number of projects for companies and MBA holder.Please advise which business I should start?

Ans: Starting a new business is a significant decision, and it should align with your skills, interests, and financial capabilities. Since you have extensive experience in sales and marketing and have prepared numerous projects for companies, you have a strong background that can be leveraged to your advantage. Here are some steps to help you decide which business to start:

Self-Assessment:

Reflect on your passions, interests, and hobbies. Starting a business in a field you are passionate about can be more fulfilling.
Consider your strengths and skills, including your sales and marketing expertise.
Evaluate your financial situation and determine your budget for starting a business.
Market Research:

Conduct market research to identify industries and niches that have growth potential and align with your expertise.
Look for gaps or unmet needs in the market that your skills and experience can address.
Identify Opportunities:

Consider opportunities in your local area or industries that are experiencing growth.
Explore the possibility of consulting or offering services based on your expertise in sales and marketing.
Business Plan:

Develop a detailed business plan that outlines your business idea, target market, competition, financial projections, and marketing strategy.
Assess the feasibility and potential profitability of your business idea.
Networking:

Leverage your professional network and industry contacts to explore potential partnerships or collaborations.
Seek advice from mentors or experienced entrepreneurs who can provide valuable insights.
Validate Your Idea:

Before fully committing, consider testing your business idea on a smaller scale or conducting a pilot project to validate demand.
Evaluate Risk Tolerance:

Assess your risk tolerance and consider how comfortable you are with the potential challenges and uncertainties of entrepreneurship.
Legal and Regulatory Considerations:

Research the legal and regulatory requirements for starting a business in your area, including licenses, permits, and taxes.
Start Small:

It's often advisable to start small and gradually scale your business as you gain experience and confidence.
Seek Professional Advice:

Consult with business advisors, accountants, and legal experts to ensure you have a solid foundation for your business.
Ultimately, the business you choose to start should align with your skills, interests, and goals. Given your background in sales and marketing, you may consider starting a consulting firm or offering marketing services to small businesses. Remember that entrepreneurship can be challenging, but with the right planning and dedication, it can also be a rewarding journey.

Dear sir, I am currently 45 and just off from my dependents i.e., my 3 sisters out of which 2 were expecting my help to settle on their life - both my sisters off from their burden to an extent as their son started working and daughters were married to a decent families. I helped them by helping on their studies, marriage of my niece and assisted my nephew to buy a property (provided the advance or initial payment of 4 lacs). I haven't saved anything for my kids yet except a house , some jewellery about 50 sovereign and 1/2 ground land. My sisters and mother doesn't feel complete but I have informed it is not happening because I need to looks at my 2 kids 11 and 6. Besides, my wife is super supportive and never disputes or raised concerns. The ask is I have been working since childhood like 16 so feeling tired at times so I am planning to start my own businesses but still I am feeling jittery as I didn't save much for their studies etc. I am working in ites services so I feel like that I have 5 years max ahead. No politics in the office but I am stuck with no major opportunities. Please guide me on how to put a perspective and lead a clear way ahead as I am totally confused to be honest. Thanks in advance and please write back as this is my second time asking for suggestions.
Ans: It would really be good to answer you but I am confused as what to tell you because you have not mentioned any of your financial goals as such, I may not be of any help to you for your social obligations