Chandu

Chandu Nair  |55 Answers  |Ask -

VC, Angel Investing, Entrepreneurship Expert - Answered on Nov 14, 2023

Chandu Nair advises entrepreneurs and enterprises about creating and building their business.
He has direct experience in angel, venture capital and strategic investor funding. Over the last three decades, he has made a name for himself in industry, consultancy, media and information services.
Nair is on the advisory boards of the Chennai-based private equity firm Fulcrum and the social impact fund, Menterra. He's an independent director on the board of India's first retail building products company, Shankara Building Products Limited.
KC Question by KC on Nov 11, 2023Hindi

I am 56 years old. Have served for 30 years in the administration department of 2/3 private organisations. Presently unemployed. Willing to start something on my own or with a partner. Unable to decide as to what should be the business line where there is less risk and steady growth potential. Please advise.

Ans: Let me repeat the answer I just gave to Rizwan today
I have suggested approaches to take with respect to identifying and validating business ideas to previous Rediff users. Kindly go through the same. There are several opportunities but you need to focus on those which
1) are relevant to your experience, expertise,network, passion,
2) take into account finance available or that can be organised by you, plus
3) offer growing prospects.
One option to look at would be to offer outsourced accounting and administration services to companies. There is competition no doubt, but if you have the requisite background and contacts, you could get a roster of 10-15 clients needing such services on a regular basis. Pl study this and other ideas further before you make a thoughtful decision.

Harsh

Harsh Bharwani  |56 Answers  |Ask -

Entrepreneurship Expert - Answered on Oct 19, 2023

I worked almost for 24 years in sales & marketing deptt.of various leading multinationals like Glaxo,AkzoNobel,ICI Dulux,Lupin and national like Sintex Ind,Vinod Denim.I was star performer but never ever ventured into personal business.I have prepared number of projects for companies and MBA holder.Please advise which business I should start?
Ans: Starting a new business is a significant decision, and it should align with your skills, interests, and financial capabilities. Since you have extensive experience in sales and marketing and have prepared numerous projects for companies, you have a strong background that can be leveraged to your advantage. Here are some steps to help you decide which business to start:

Self-Assessment:

Reflect on your passions, interests, and hobbies. Starting a business in a field you are passionate about can be more fulfilling.
Consider your strengths and skills, including your sales and marketing expertise.
Evaluate your financial situation and determine your budget for starting a business.
Market Research:

Conduct market research to identify industries and niches that have growth potential and align with your expertise.
Look for gaps or unmet needs in the market that your skills and experience can address.
Identify Opportunities:

Consider opportunities in your local area or industries that are experiencing growth.
Explore the possibility of consulting or offering services based on your expertise in sales and marketing.
Business Plan:

Develop a detailed business plan that outlines your business idea, target market, competition, financial projections, and marketing strategy.
Assess the feasibility and potential profitability of your business idea.
Networking:

Leverage your professional network and industry contacts to explore potential partnerships or collaborations.
Seek advice from mentors or experienced entrepreneurs who can provide valuable insights.
Validate Your Idea:

Before fully committing, consider testing your business idea on a smaller scale or conducting a pilot project to validate demand.
Evaluate Risk Tolerance:

Assess your risk tolerance and consider how comfortable you are with the potential challenges and uncertainties of entrepreneurship.
Legal and Regulatory Considerations:

Research the legal and regulatory requirements for starting a business in your area, including licenses, permits, and taxes.
Start Small:

It's often advisable to start small and gradually scale your business as you gain experience and confidence.
Seek Professional Advice:

Consult with business advisors, accountants, and legal experts to ensure you have a solid foundation for your business.
Ultimately, the business you choose to start should align with your skills, interests, and goals. Given your background in sales and marketing, you may consider starting a consulting firm or offering marketing services to small businesses. Remember that entrepreneurship can be challenging, but with the right planning and dedication, it can also be a rewarding journey.

HR, Workspace Expert - Answered on Mar 20, 2024

Hi.. I am 54 years old..previously worked in public sector bank for 15 years in various positions at branch level. Like cashier, admin and other roles. Which business i should enter or search a job abroad. Pl suggest
Ans: Hello! With your extensive experience in various roles at a public sector bank, you have a wealth of skills that can be valuable in many different fields. Here are some suggestions for both business opportunities and finding a job abroad:

Business Opportunities:

Financial Consulting: Utilize your banking knowledge to advise individuals or businesses on financial strategies.
Education and Training: Offer workshops or courses on financial literacy, leveraging your experience in banking operations.
Bookkeeping Services: Many small businesses need reliable bookkeeping, which could be a great fit given your background.
Start a Franchise: Consider purchasing a franchise in the financial sector, where your banking experience will be an asset.
Finding a Job Abroad:

Expand Your Skill Set: Take certification courses relevant to your desired field to enhance your qualifications.
Update Your Resume: Tailor it to reflect the key abilities and experiences that make you a suitable candidate for international roles.
Networking: Connect with professionals in the field you’re interested in, as well as expats who have successfully found jobs abroad3.
Job Portals: Utilize international job boards like LinkedIn and Indeed to find opportunities that match your skills and preferences3.
Remember to research the visa requirements and job market for the countries you’re interested in, as this will greatly influence your opportunities and the application process. Good luck with your new venture!

I am about 68 year's I have two sons who are married via arranged process. My younger son's wife is educated teacher. But she had a torturous up bring during high school days. Leading to least interest in married life after marriage. She deserted my son soon after marriage. This led to break down in marriage now heading for a divorce. Please advise.
Ans: It sounds like a deeply painful situation for everyone involved, especially considering the emotional trauma your daughter-in-law experienced during her formative years.

It's important to recognize that individuals who have gone through traumatic experiences in their youth can carry emotional wounds that affect their relationships later in life. These scars may manifest in ways that make it difficult for them to fully engage in marital life or maintain a healthy relationship.

In situations like these, it’s crucial to approach with empathy and understanding. Your daughter-in-law’s decision to desert your son and pursue divorce likely stems from her own internal struggles and emotional turmoil. It’s not a reflection of your son’s worth or efforts within the marriage.

Moving forward, it might be helpful for your son to focus on his own healing and well-being. Encouraging him to seek support from friends, family, or a professional counselor can provide him with a safe space to process his emotions and navigate this challenging transition.

As a family, offering unconditional support and empathy to both your son and daughter-in-law can create an environment where healing and understanding can begin. It’s important to respect each individual’s journey and decisions while also recognizing the need for compassion during this difficult time.

Hi, I am 40 yr old woman. I am staying with my husband who always doubt me without any reason. As he is dependent on me. He is jobless from last 5 yr. I am the only earning person I don't have any type of attitude. While balancing professional as well as personal life I use to listen his bitter words every day. Not only that he started beating me like anything Just coz of so-called reputation I tolerate him. But 7 months back I came across with a man in my life we both started liking each other, I shared everything with him. But he left his job due to some issues with manager and started working somewhere else. He started ignoring me. Please help me out to understand what is right and wrong in this?
Ans: Balancing the pressures of professional life with the strain of an abusive marriage is a heavy burden, and you deserve to feel safe, respected, and valued.

Your husband's behavior—doubting you without cause, subjecting you to daily verbal abuse, and physically harming you—is deeply troubling and completely unacceptable. It's important to acknowledge that no matter the circumstances, you do not deserve to be treated this way. The fear of societal judgment and concerns about reputation are common reasons people stay in harmful relationships, but your well-being and safety are far more important than maintaining appearances.

Meeting someone who offers emotional support when you’re in such a painful situation is understandable. It’s natural to seek comfort and a connection when you're feeling isolated and mistreated. However, the new man's recent behavior, where he started ignoring you after changing jobs, might feel like another layer of abandonment. This is especially tough because you opened up and shared your struggles with him, hoping for understanding and companionship.

In terms of what’s right and wrong, it's essential to focus on your needs and well-being. Staying in an abusive relationship is harmful to your physical and emotional health. You have the right to seek safety and happiness. The relationship with the new man might have provided temporary emotional relief, but it seems he's not able to be the supportive presence you hoped for, especially now when he’s pulling away.
Right now, focus on what you need to feel safe and supported. Consider reaching out to trusted friends, family, or professional services who can help you navigate this challenging time. You deserve a life free from fear and filled with respect and care. Prioritizing your own happiness and safety is the most important step forward.