Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Jul 04, 2023

Sushil Sukhwani is the founding director of the overseas education consultant firm, Edwise International. He has 31 years of experience in counselling students who have opted to study abroad in various countries, including the UK, USA, Canada and Australia. He is part of the board of directors at the American International Recruitment Council and an honorary committee member of the Australian Alumni Association. Sukhwani is an MBA graduate from Bond University, Australia. ... more
Sreekumar Question by Sreekumar on Jul 03, 2023Hindi

My son wants to go for MS degree in US. He is working as software engineer for one year now. Please advise pros and cons. Thanks,

Ans: Hello Sreekumar,

To begin with, thank you for contacting us. Choosing to pursue a Master of Science (MS) degree in the United States can be a significant decision with several pros and cons to consider. Here are some factors to keep in mind:

Pros:
1. Advanced Education: An MS degree can provide specialized knowledge and advanced skills in a particular field, allowing your son to deepen his expertise and stay competitive in the job market.

2. Career Opportunities: Many employers value candidates with advanced degrees, and an MS can enhance his chances of landing higher-level positions or advancing his career in the software engineering field.

3. Networking: Studying in the US can provide excellent networking opportunities, allowing your son to connect with industry professionals, potential mentors, and fellow students who may become valuable contacts in the future.

4. Research Opportunities: If your son is interested in pursuing research or academia, an MS degree can serve as a stepping stone towards a Ph.D. program and open doors to research positions or teaching opportunities.

5. Exposure to Diverse Perspectives: Studying in the US exposes students to a culturally diverse environment, which can broaden their horizons, foster global awareness, and provide a rich learning experience.

Cons:
1. Financial Considerations: Pursuing an MS degree in the US can be costly, including tuition fees, living expenses, and potentially higher healthcare expenses. It's important to carefully assess the financial implications and explore scholarships, grants, or assistantships to help mitigate costs.

2. Competitive Admissions: Admission to reputable MS programs can be highly competitive, especially in sought-after fields. Your son will need to prepare a strong application, including competitive test scores, letters of recommendation, and a compelling statement of purpose.

3. Temporary Stay: Pursuing an MS degree usually involves a temporary stay in the US on a student visa. It's essential to be aware of the associated visa requirements, potential limitations on employment, and the need to return to one's home country after completing the degree, unless pursuing further work authorization or education.

4. Personal Adjustments: Moving to a different country for studies can be a significant adjustment, including adapting to a new culture, lifestyle, and potentially being away from family and friends. Your son should be prepared for the challenges of living abroad and maintaining a support network.

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Jul 31, 2023

My son wants to go for undergraduate in US. Please advise pros and cons. Thanks,

First and foremost, thank you for getting in touch with us. With your son's interest in pursuing undergraduate education in the USA, it's critical that you understand the many benefits and downsides. Here’s a summary:

Pros:

1. Academic Excellence: Universities in USA provide excellent education and research opportunities, with degrees that are recognized worldwide.

2. Array of Options: The United States offers a wide range of academic programs and majors, allowing students to customize their education to their interests and future prospects.

3. Research Possibilities: Colleges in USA have well-funded research programs that allow students to partake in cutting-edge studies, work with renowned scholars, and earn priceless experience.

4. Build global networks: Study in USA allows your son to interact with students from many cultures, establishing a strong global network for future professional opportunities.

5. Career Opportunities: A degree from the United States improves career opportunities internationally since employers value the abilities and global exposure earned.

6. Extracurricular Activities: Extracurricular activities, clubs, and organizations at US universities often allow students to develop leadership abilities and pursue interests outside of academics.

Cons:

1. Exorbitant Price: International students studying in the United States endure higher tuition rates than domestic students, causing a major financial strain. Furthermore, living expenses, viz., housing and healthcare, add to the overall price.

2. Immigration and Visa Rules: Navigating the US visa procedure can be challenging and time-consuming. Your son must make sure he fulfills all the requirements and keeps up with any changes to the policy.

3. Culture Shock: Moving to a foreign country can be challenging, and your son might face culture shock. Getting used to a new environment, lifestyle, and social conventions takes time and patience.

4. Away from Home: For some students, being far from home can be emotionally stressful, particularly during significant events or trying times.

5. Competitive Admissions: Admission to prestigious US institutions can be fiercely competitive, and meeting the admission requirements can be a challenging procedure.

6. Medical Insurance: In the US, health insurance is mandatory, but it may also be pricey. Understanding coverage and selecting the appropriate plan is critical for overseas students.

The decision to study in USA depends on your son's particular circumstances, academic interests, and professional objectives. Pursuing a US undergraduate education can be satisfying if he is passionate about a certain field and aware of the difficulties and opportunities. Making an educated decision requires research into colleges, programs, and scholarships.

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Jun 12, 2024

Dear Sir, I am 40 years old, happily married, have 2 daughters 7 years and 3 years old. My financials are 1. Real Estate 1.50 cr. Land and 2 houses (house value: 85 lakhs: Monthly rental yield 30,000) 2. ULIP 18,000 monthly for 5 years. (19 months completed. Corpus: 4 lakhs) C. Mutual funds 50,000 (just started). I can invest monthly 1.50 lakhs now. Please advice the best categories of Mutual Funds to invest as SIP. Also, thinking to sell the house of 85 lakhs value and put in SWP. Please advice.
Ans: You are 40 years old, happily married with two daughters aged 7 and 3. You have real estate worth Rs. 1.50 crores, including two houses (one valued at Rs. 85 lakhs with a monthly rental yield of Rs. 30,000). You have a ULIP with a monthly contribution of Rs. 18,000 for 5 years, with 19 months completed and a corpus of Rs. 4 lakhs. You have just started investing Rs. 50,000 in mutual funds. You can invest Rs. 1.50 lakhs monthly now.

Investment in Mutual Funds
Equity mutual funds are essential for long-term growth. They provide high returns over time. You can invest in large-cap, mid-cap, and small-cap funds. Large-cap funds are less risky. Mid-cap and small-cap funds offer higher returns but come with higher risks.

Debt mutual funds provide stability to your portfolio. They invest in bonds and government securities. They are less volatile and offer regular returns. You can consider short-term and long-term debt funds based on your investment horizon.

Hybrid Mutual Funds
Hybrid funds invest in both equity and debt. They balance risk and return. They are suitable for moderate risk takers. They provide stability with some growth potential.

Tax-saving Mutual Funds
ELSS funds provide tax benefits under Section 80C. They have a lock-in period of 3 years. They offer good returns and help in tax planning. You can allocate a portion of your investments to these funds.

Selling the House and SWP
Selling the house worth Rs. 85 lakhs can provide a lump sum. You can invest this in a Systematic Withdrawal Plan (SWP). SWP offers regular income from mutual funds. It provides flexibility and better returns compared to rental income. Ensure to consult with a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) to align this with your financial goals.

Increase your SIP contributions to Rs. 1.50 lakhs monthly. Diversify your investments across equity, debt, and hybrid funds. Review your portfolio regularly to ensure it aligns with your goals.

Seek advice from a Certified Financial Planner (CFP). They can provide a tailored financial plan. Professional guidance helps achieve your financial goals efficiently.

Focus on long-term growth with equity funds. Maintain stability with debt funds. Balance risk and return with hybrid funds. Consider tax-saving ELSS funds. Review your portfolio regularly.

Age41 yrs , Currently been doing monthly SIP in below mutual funds: * Parag parikh elss tax saver fund : 2000 a month ( 1 year ) * Quant mid cap fund : 5000 a month (started newly ) I am self employed who earns minimum 50k a month I have term insurance and health insurance for my family . Would like to retire my age 55 , keeping inflation and children education and other expenses in my mind . How should I go ahead
Ans: You are 41 years old. You earn Rs. 50,000 a month. You have term insurance and health insurance for your family. You are investing in two SIPs: Parag Parikh ELSS Tax Saver Fund (Rs. 2,000/month) and Quant Mid Cap Fund (Rs. 5,000/month).

Retirement Goal
You plan to retire at 55. Consider inflation, children's education, and other expenses in your planning. Start by estimating your retirement corpus. This should cover living expenses, healthcare, and other needs.

Increase your SIP contributions gradually. This will help build a larger retirement corpus. Diversify your investments across equity, debt, and hybrid funds. This balances risk and provides stable returns.

Actively Managed Funds
Actively managed funds offer better potential returns. Fund managers select stocks based on research. This can outperform index funds, which only track the market.

Tax Saving and Growth
Continue investing in ELSS funds for tax benefits. They also provide good returns over the long term. Consider adding more equity funds for growth. Equity funds can beat inflation and provide higher returns.

Education Fund for Children
Start a separate education fund for your children. Invest in a mix of equity and debt funds. This ensures their education expenses are covered.

Maintain an emergency fund to cover at least six months of expenses. This provides financial security in case of emergencies. Use a high-interest savings account for this fund.

Regular Fund Investments
Consider regular funds with the help of a Certified Financial Planner (CFP). Regular funds come with expert advice and monitoring. This ensures your investments stay aligned with your goals.

Review and Rebalance
Review your portfolio regularly. Rebalance it to maintain the desired asset allocation. This helps manage risk and improve returns.

Increase your SIPs and diversify investments. Plan for children's education and maintain an emergency fund. Seek professional guidance for a comprehensive financial plan.

I am 30 years old working in Public sector bank my salary is monthly 60000 and I have shares worth 1100000 and mutual funds worth 200000 and I am investing monthly SIP 13000 Including equity, best and hybrid funds I have health and term insurance I would like to retire at 50 years with corpus of 3 crores how can I improve my investment strategy.
Ans: You are 30 years old, earning Rs 60,000 monthly. You have shares worth Rs 11 lakhs and mutual funds worth Rs 2 lakhs. You are investing Rs 13,000 monthly in SIPs. You also have health and term insurance.

Retirement Goal

You aim to retire at 50 with a corpus of Rs 3 crores. This goal is achievable with a well-planned strategy.

Investment Strategy Evaluation

Your current investments include equity, debt, and hybrid funds. This mix is good for diversification. However, to reach Rs 3 crores, you need to optimise and possibly increase your investments.

Direct funds require constant monitoring. Regular funds, managed by a Certified Financial Planner (CFP), can provide expert advice and better management. This ensures your investments are aligned with your goals.

Recommendations for Improvement

Increase SIP Contribution: Gradually increase your SIP amount as your salary grows.

Professional Management: Regular funds managed by a CFP can offer better returns and less hassle.

Diversify Portfolio: Include large-cap funds to balance the risk and return.

Regular Reviews: Monitor and adjust your portfolio regularly with the help of a CFP.

Your goal to retire with Rs 3 crores is realistic. You need to increase your SIPs, diversify your portfolio, and seek expert advice. Regular funds managed by a Certified Financial Planner can help you achieve your target with less stress.

Hello Experts, I am currently working in pvt sector and am 32 years old. My current in hand salary is 1.45lac per month. I am currently paying off my father's home loan of 38lacs, with current outstanding of 24lacs. I have bought a flat back in 2021, for which the loan is of 70lac for 30years.I have a loan insurance for this loan. The EMI for this has not been started yet. It will start once the builder will provide possession of the same. I am paying 15500 monthly rent and apart from that monthly expenses amounts to 30k a month. I am married and my wife is a homemaker and I have a baby girl 2months old. Could you please guide me.
Ans: You have a monthly salary of Rs. 1.45 lakhs. You are paying off your father's home loan with Rs. 24 lakhs outstanding. You bought a flat in 2021 with a Rs. 70 lakhs loan. Your EMI for this will start once you get possession. You pay Rs. 15,500 rent and have monthly expenses of Rs. 30,000. You are married with a homemaker wife and a 2-month-old daughter.

Focus on repaying your father’s home loan. Prioritize this to reduce financial burden. Use part of your monthly income for this. Once the EMI for your flat starts, your expenses will increase. Plan for this additional expense in advance.

Expense Management
You pay Rs. 15,500 in rent and Rs. 30,000 in other expenses. Ensure these expenses are well-managed. Create a monthly budget to track your spending. This will help you save more.

Build an emergency fund to cover at least 6 months of expenses. This will provide financial security. Use a high-interest savings account for this fund.

You have loan insurance for your flat. Ensure you also have adequate life and health insurance. This protects your family in case of emergencies.

Investment Planning
Start a Systematic Investment Plan (SIP) in mutual funds. SIPs allow you to invest a fixed amount regularly. This helps in disciplined investing and wealth creation.

Benefits of SIPs
SIPs help in rupee cost averaging. This reduces the impact of market volatility. They provide the benefit of compounding returns. SIPs are flexible, allowing you to increase or decrease your investment amount.

Actively Managed Funds
Actively managed funds offer better returns than index funds. Professional fund managers select stocks based on research. This can outperform the market.

Regular Funds vs Direct Funds
Regular funds come with the expertise of a Certified Financial Planner (CFP). CFPs provide personalized advice and regular monitoring. This ensures your investments remain aligned with your goals.

Child’s Education Planning
Start an education fund for your daughter. Invest in a mix of equity and debt funds. This will ensure her future education expenses are covered.

Seek advice from a Certified Financial Planner (CFP). They can provide a tailored financial plan. Professional guidance will help you achieve your financial goals efficiently.

Prioritize debt repayment. Build an emergency fund. Invest in SIPs for long-term growth. Secure your family’s future with proper insurance and planning.