Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Nov 24, 2023

Sushil Sukhwani is the founding director of the overseas education consultant firm, Edwise International. He has 31 years of experience in counselling students who have opted to study abroad in various countries, including the UK, USA, Canada and Australia. He is part of the board of directors at the American International Recruitment Council and an honorary committee member of the Australian Alumni Association. Sukhwani is an MBA graduate from Bond University, Australia. ... more
Vivek Question by Vivek on Sep 25, 2023Translate

Sir/ma'am I am undergraduate holding an mbbs degree nd want to pursue MD from abroad in English medium from Germany.

Ans: Hello Vivek,

To begin with, thank you for contacting us. I am happy to hear that you already hold an MBBS degree and now wish to pursue a Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree abroad. To answer your question first, I would like to tell you that owing to the well-known healthcare system and top-notch education in Germany, pursuing an MD degree in the country can be a wise decision.

You would be glad to know that international students can choose from a vast array of English-medium MD programs offered in Germany. Nevertheless, the procedure may entail a few steps. To begin with, you ought to make sure that the relevant authorities in Germany acknowledge your MBBS degree. Remember that even though a number of MD programs in Germany are taught in the English language, you will be required to demonstrate your fluency in the language through appearing for tests viz., the TOEFL or IELTS. In addition, you might also need to demonstrate your ability to speak German. I would recommend that you conduct an all-round study and shortlist universities that offer Doctor of Medicine (MD) programs in order to select the one that best resonates with your interests, you should fulfill their unique prerequisites for admission. Not just that, I also suggest that you acquaint yourself with the financial considerations, guidelines for obtaining a visa, as well as any requirements to be met in order to practise medicine in the country (Germany) upon earning your MD degree.

I would like to tell you that enrolling in an MD program overseas calls for careful planning, comprehending the prerequisites, as well as requires you to adjust to a new academic and cultural setting. You will be able to gain exposure to a variety of medical practices, as well as widen your horizons in the field, thus, it offers an excellent chance for both, individual and career development.

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Sep 30, 2023

Dear Sir My daughter is currently in 2nd year of BCA . She wants to pursue her Masters from Germany public university I need to ask two questions Requirement of any English language Test Cost of living in Germany as I had seen no tution fee or very nominal fees is of that course
Ans: Hello Rakhi,

First and foremost, thank you for contacting us. I am extremely excited to hear that your daughter intends to pursue her Master's from Germany after the completion of her Bachelor’s degree in Computer Application. As as answer to both your queries, consider the following:

1. Prerequisites for English Language Test: Considering your query pertaining to any English language test requirement, I would like to inform you that Master's degree courses are offered in English by the majority of German universities. To secure admission to these programs, students are required to prove their English language competency. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and International English Language Testing System (IELTS) are the English language tests that are commonly accepted. Remember that each university and program has its unique score criteria. The particular programs and universities of your daughter’s choosing may have varying prerequisites for language proficiency, and thus, I recommend that you visit each university’s official website and look into the admission criteria.

2. Living Expenses in Germany: With regards to your second question pertaining to the cost of living in Germany, I would like to tell you that although international students are offered either tuition-free or very low cost of education by a number of German universities, it’s crucial to take into account the living expenses. Based on your daughter's way of life and the city she lives in, the living costs can differ. Some estimated monthly expenditures, however, are mentioned as under:

Cost of meals: Your daughter can expect to pay between €150 to €300 as the monthly expenses for groceries and meals.

Cost of Textbooks and Study Resources: I recommend that your daughter would need to keep aside €30 - €50 each month for the same.

Housing Costs: On deciding to study abroad, I feel that accommodation costs can be one of the most expensive charges. Based on the city, the rent per month for a shared flat or student dormitory can cost roughly between €300 to €600 on average.

Travel Costs: The cost of public transport can differ from city to city. Your daughter may need to pay monthly charges ranging from €30 to €80 for the same.

Medical Insurance: To study in Germany, obtaining a medical insurance is a necessity. Although the cost can differ, the typical monthly charges for students ranges from €80 to €100.

Other Expenditures: Other expenditures that your daughter may need to spend for include purchasing personal belongings, recreational activities, and any other unexpected costs. For the same, I recommend that she keep aside an extra €50 to €100 per month.

Based on the student’s lifestyle and the city he/she resides in, the total cost of living in Germany per month can typically range from €600 - €1,200. Please remember that these are just estimated values, the actual costs however, may differ. To help alleviate the high costs of studying in Germany, I recommend that you daughter looks into the available scholarship possibilities or part-time employment prospects. Since the costs of living can greatly differ between different German cities, I suggest that your daughter conducts an extensive study on the costs of studying in the city of her choosing.

Asked by Anonymous - Oct 23, 2023Translate
My daughter is in 12th Standard (PCMB). She wants to study medicine. What is the criteria for doing medicine from Germany? What is the fee and other expenses? What is the procedure to get scholarship for education? Thanks in advance.

First and foremost, thank you for getting in touch with us. I am glad to hear about your daughter's plans on studying medicine in Germany. As an answer to your query I would like to tell you that owing to Germany’s well-regarded education system and comparatively cheaper tuition fees in contrast to other nations, pursuing medicine in the country can be a wise decision. Nevertheless, remember that the prerequisites for admission may be strict. Overseas students are required to prove their competency in the German language, and for the same they will need to pass tests viz., the DSH or TestDaF. Not just that, your daughter will also need to fulfill academic requirements, and this includes submitting transcripts from high school and a valid bachelor's degree, if applicable. Further entry examinations or interviews may be required by certain universities.

To answer your question pertaining to the fees and other expenses, I would like to let you know that although the tuition fees at public universities in Germany are usually very cheap or completely free, semester fees covering administrative costs and public transportation, are charged by them. Depending on the way of living and location, the costs of living can differ, but one can anticipate paying around Euros 800-1,000 each month.

Next, coming to scholarships, you would be glad to know that there are numerous opportunities available from both private as well as public organizations. Foreign students are offered scholarships by DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service), in addition, financial aid options are frequently offered by universities themselves. The costs of living or tuition fees are covered by these scholarships, at times, it covers both. To enhance your daughter’s chances of obtaining funding, I would recommend that she conducts an extensive study and begins applying well in advance as the prerequisites and process of application between universities may vary.

HR, Workspace Expert - Answered on Feb 23, 2024

Dear sir,I am compulsory retired from psu, as a senior Manager still I am having 5 years For matured retirement. Is there any jobs available for me?
Ans: As a senior manager with significant experience and five years until mature retirement, you have valuable skills and expertise that can be applied to various job opportunities. Here are some potential avenues to explore:

Industry Consultancy: Consider offering consultancy services in your industry. Your extensive experience can be valuable to companies seeking expertise in areas such as operations management, strategic planning, or process optimization.

Freelancing or Contract Work: Explore opportunities for freelancing or contract work in your field. Many companies, especially startups or smaller businesses, may require temporary support for specific projects or initiatives.

Part-Time or Remote Work: Look for part-time or remote work opportunities that allow for flexibility and work-life balance. Many organizations offer remote positions for experienced professionals, including roles in project management, consulting, or advisory services.

Government or NGO Roles: Investigate opportunities in government agencies or non-governmental organizations (NGOs) where your experience and expertise can be beneficial. These organizations often have positions available in areas such as policy development, program management, or capacity building.

Teaching or Training: Consider sharing your knowledge and expertise by pursuing opportunities in teaching or training roles. Universities, colleges, training institutes, and corporate training departments may seek experienced professionals to teach courses or conduct workshops in your field.

Professional Associations and Networks: Join professional associations and networks related to your industry. These platforms can provide access to job opportunities, networking events, and professional development resources.

Entrepreneurship: Explore the possibility of starting your own business or venture based on your expertise and interests. Entrepreneurship allows you to leverage your experience to create innovative solutions or services within your industry.

Career Counseling and Coaching: With your extensive experience, you could consider a career in counseling or coaching, helping individuals navigate their career paths, develop skills, and achieve their professional goals.

Online Platforms: Utilize online job platforms, networking sites like LinkedIn, and specialized recruitment agencies to explore job opportunities tailored to your skills and experience.

Upskilling and Continuous Learning: Stay updated with industry trends, technologies, and best practices through continuous learning and upskilling. Investing in certifications, attending workshops, or pursuing advanced education can enhance your marketability and open doors to new opportunities.

Remember to tailor your job search approach to your interests, strengths, and career goals. Networking, maintaining a strong online presence, and staying proactive in your job search efforts can significantly increase your chances of finding fulfilling opportunities in your mature retirement phase.

i served education institute as approved Asso Professor. superannuated before 2 years but no gratuity is paid.what next?
Ans: If you have superannuated from an educational institute and have not received your gratuity even after two years, you should take the following steps:

Check Employment Contract or Policy:

Review your employment contract or the institute's policy to understand the terms and conditions regarding gratuity. It should outline the eligibility criteria and the process for payment.
Contact HR or Administration:

Reach out to the Human Resources (HR) department or administration of the educational institute. Inquire about the status of your gratuity and seek clarification on any delays.
Written Communication:

If verbal communication does not yield results, send a written communication (email or letter) to the HR department, clearly stating the issue, mentioning your superannuation date, and seeking information on the status of your gratuity.
Gather Documentation:

Ensure you have all the necessary documentation related to your employment, superannuation, and gratuity. This may include appointment letters, salary slips, and any other relevant records.
Legal Consultation:

If your attempts to resolve the issue internally are unsuccessful, consider seeking legal advice. Consult with a lawyer who specializes in labor or employment law to understand your rights and options.
Labor Department Complaint:

In some jurisdictions, labor departments or government authorities handle labor-related disputes. You may file a complaint with the appropriate labor department or ombudsman, providing details of the non-payment of gratuity.
Employee Welfare Associations:

If applicable, involve any employee welfare or union representatives who may assist in addressing the issue.
Mediation or Conciliation:

Some jurisdictions have mediation or conciliation services to resolve employment-related disputes. Explore these options as an alternative to legal action.
Legal Action:

If all else fails, you may need to consider legal action to claim your gratuity. Your lawyer can guide you on the appropriate legal steps to take in your jurisdiction.
It's crucial to act promptly and keep records of all communication related to the non-payment of gratuity. The specific steps and options available to you may vary depending on the labor laws in your country or region. Consulting with a legal professional familiar with local employment laws is advisable to ensure you take the most appropriate course of action.

Asked by Anonymous - Dec 13, 2023Translate
Presently I work as Asst VP in formulation R&D and my CTC is 72 lakhs. I have a total of 21 years experience post Ph.D degree. How does my salary compare to pharma industry standards? Is it in line with the industry trend or higher than average or lower?
Ans: Determining whether your salary is in line with industry standards can be influenced by various factors, including your role, responsibilities, the company's size, location, and overall market conditions. However, your current salary of 72 lakhs as an Assistant Vice President in Formulation R&D with 21 years of experience post-Ph.D. seems competitive and well above average for the pharmaceutical industry.

To get a more accurate benchmark, you might consider:

Industry Reports: Explore industry reports and salary surveys specific to the pharmaceutical sector. Organizations like Aon, Mercer, or local industry associations may publish such reports.

Networking: Connect with professionals in similar roles through industry events, LinkedIn, or professional organizations. Discussing compensation trends can provide valuable insights.

Consulting with HR: Speak with your company's HR department to understand how your compensation aligns with the company's salary structure and industry standards.

Job Portals: Check job portals for similar positions in your region to see the salary ranges offered by other companies for comparable roles.

Geographical Considerations: Keep in mind that salaries can vary significantly based on geographical locations. A salary that is competitive in one region may be considered high or low in another.

Market Demand: Assess the demand for professionals in your role. If there is a high demand for individuals with your skill set and experience, it could contribute to a higher salary.

Ultimately, while salary is an important factor, it's also crucial to consider other aspects of your compensation package, such as benefits, bonuses, and opportunities for career growth. If you feel satisfied with your overall package, including non-monetary benefits, and your compensation aligns with your responsibilities and the industry standards, then it's likely that your salary is competitive. If you have specific concerns, discussing them with your HR department or seeking advice from industry professionals can provide more tailored insights.

I am 84 but due to acute financial problems fcg even groceey problems looking for English to Hindi Translation job
Ans: I'm sorry to hear about your challenges. Finding an English to Hindi translation job can be challenging, but there are a few platforms where you can explore opportunities:

Freelance Platforms:

Websites like Upwork, Freelancer, and Fiverr often have translation projects. You can create a profile and bid on relevant jobs.
Translation Agencies:

Contact translation agencies and offer your services. Many agencies look for experienced translators for various language pairs.
Online Job Portals:

Keep an eye on job portals like Indeed or Naukri, where companies occasionally post translation-related job opportunities.
Language Learning Platforms:

Some language learning apps and websites may also require translation services. Check platforms like Duolingo, Babbel, or Rosetta Stone.
Community Centers:

Local community centers or language learning institutions might have occasional translation needs.
Online Volunteer Platforms:

Consider volunteering your translation services on platforms like Translators without Borders or UN Volunteers.
Networking:

Leverage your network. Inform friends, family, or acquaintances about your skills and let them know you are looking for translation opportunities.
Local Businesses:

Visit local businesses, especially those serving diverse communities, and inquire if they need translation services.
Government Programs:

Some government programs or NGOs may require translation services. Check with local offices or online platforms for opportunities.
Remember, persistence is key. It may take time to find opportunities, but by actively seeking and applying for jobs, you increase your chances of securing a position. Additionally, if you face financial difficulties, you may also want to explore local support services or community programs that could provide assistance. I hope you find a suitable opportunity soon.

What are best way to upskill as a student?
Ans: Upskilling as a student is a valuable investment in your future. Here are some effective ways to upskill:

Online Courses and Certifications:

Platforms like Coursera, edX, Udacity, and Khan Academy offer a wide range of courses on various subjects.
Consider certifications in areas relevant to your field of study or future career.
MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses):

Explore MOOCs from universities and institutions around the world.
They often provide high-quality content for free or at a minimal cost.
Specialized Training Platforms:

Platforms like LinkedIn Learning, Skillshare, and Pluralsight offer courses on specific skills and tools.
These platforms often have tutorials on software, programming languages, design tools, etc.
Internships and Co-op Programs:

Gain practical experience through internships or co-op programs related to your field of study.
Real-world experience can complement theoretical knowledge and enhance your skills.
Networking and Mentorship:

Connect with professionals in your industry through networking events, LinkedIn, or local meetups.
A mentor can provide guidance and share insights into the industry.
Project-Based Learning:

Work on real-world projects to apply your skills.
This hands-on experience can help you build a portfolio that showcases your abilities.
Join Student Organizations:

Participate in relevant clubs or organizations on your campus.
They often provide opportunities for skill development and networking.
Read Industry Publications and Blogs:

Stay updated on industry trends and innovations by reading blogs, journals, and articles.
Subscribe to newsletters or follow influencers in your field.
Soft Skills Development:

Focus on developing soft skills like communication, teamwork, time management, and adaptability.
These skills are crucial for professional success.
Attend Workshops and Conferences:

Attend workshops and conferences to learn from experts and connect with professionals.
These events can provide insights into the latest developments in your field.
Language Learning:

Learn additional languages, especially if they are relevant to your field or if you plan to work internationally.
Self-Assessment and Reflection:

Regularly assess your skills and identify areas for improvement.
Set goals for continuous learning and monitor your progress.
Remember, upskilling is a continuous process, and staying curious and adaptable will serve you well throughout your career. Tailor your upskilling efforts to align with your career goals and the demands of your chosen industry.
Shreya

Shreya Shah  |26 Answers  |Ask -

Nutritionist, Diabetes Educator - Answered on Feb 23, 2024