Workplace Expert - Answered on Feb 07, 2024

Krishna Kumar is the founder and CEO of GoMoTech, a company that provides strategic consulting in B2B sales, performance management and digital transformation.
Before branching out on his own, he worked with companies like Microsoft, Rediff, Flipkart and InMobi.
With over 25 years of experience under his belt, KK is a regular speaker at industry events and academic intuitions, both in India as well as abroad.
KK completed his MBA in marketing from the Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning in Andhra Pradesh and his management development programme from XLRI, Jamshedpur.
sindhu Question by sindhu on Jan 08, 2024Hindi

hi sir I'm restarting my career after 8 years of career gap due to marriage and now I'm divorced and I'm 33 years old but sad part is i don't have a regular degree and it's listed under black list universities kindly suggest me a good path to earn well n settle myself

Ans: Dear Ms Sindhu

I can understand your thoughts situation.

If you could share more about your strengths and the industry you belong to that would help.

None the less I would suggest take up some certification courses depending upon your strengths it could be in sales, project management, IT, Digital Marketing and start fresh.

All the best

HR, Workspace Expert - Answered on Mar 14, 2024

I am 50. Have been working from home because of the fact that my wife is a school teacher and our girl is only 8 years old. We do not and cannot afford a caretaker for the daughter so I decided to work from home. I am a website developer with basic skill set and thankfully, because of my long association with my firm, I am earning 20k pm. Our combined earnings are okay for now, but definitely, not going to be enough in the long run. I wanted to pursue MCA but could not because these colleges/institutions need either BSC/BCA or the fees are unaffordable. I am an Arts graduate (1995) and could not opt for higher studies as I had to start earning for my family - dependent (this word does not seem to be right but) sisters, brother and now parents. Any options or suggestions?
Ans: It’s commendable that you’ve been managing work from home to take care of your family. Considering your situation and background, let’s explore some options and suggestions:

Skill Enhancement:
Since you’re a website developer, consider enhancing your skill set. Learn more advanced web development technologies, frameworks, and tools. This can open up better-paying opportunities.
Explore front-end development, back-end development, and full-stack development. These skills are in demand.
Freelancing and Side Projects:
Leverage your web development skills to take on freelance projects. Websites like Upwork, Freelancer, and Fiverr offer opportunities to earn extra income.
Consider building your own portfolio website and showcasing your work. Potential clients often look for developers with a strong portfolio.
Online Courses and Certifications:
Pursue online courses in areas like UI/UX design, mobile app development, or e-commerce development.
Certifications from platforms like Coursera, edX, or Udacity can add credibility to your profile.
Explore MCA Alternatives:
While MCA might not be feasible due to eligibility criteria, consider other relevant courses.
Look into PG Diploma in Computer Applications (PGDCA). It’s a shorter program and may have more flexible entry requirements.
Some universities offer distance learning MCA programs. Research institutions that provide such options.
Networking and Collaboration:
Connect with other professionals in your field. Attend webinars, conferences, and meetups (even virtually).
Collaborate with other developers on projects. Networking can lead to referrals and job opportunities.
Financial Planning:
Given your combined earnings, create a financial plan. Set aside savings for your daughter’s education and your own future.
Explore investment options like mutual funds or fixed deposits.
Explore Government Schemes:
Investigate government schemes related to skill development, entrepreneurship, or small business loans.
Some schemes provide financial assistance for education or self-employment.
Content Creation and Blogging:
Share your knowledge through a blog or YouTube channel. Monetize it through ads or affiliate marketing.
Write about web development, coding tips, or technology trends.
Teaching and Training:
With your experience, consider teaching web development. You can offer online courses or workshops.
Platforms like Udemy allow instructors to create and sell courses.
Stay Updated:
Technology evolves rapidly. Keep learning and adapting to stay relevant.
Follow industry blogs, podcasts, and newsletters.
Remember that your determination and adaptability are your greatest assets. Explore options that align with your interests and family responsibilities. Best wishes on your journey