Nayagam is a certified career counsellor and the founder of EduJob360.
He started his career as an HR professional and has over 10 years of experience in tutoring and mentoring students from Classes 8 to 12, helping them choose the right stream, course and college/university.
He also counsels students on how to prepare for entrance exams for getting admission into reputed universities /colleges for their graduate/postgraduate courses.
He has guided both fresh graduates and experienced professionals on how to write a resume, how to prepare for job interviews and how to negotiate their salary when joining a new job.
Nayagam has published an eBook, Professional Resume Writing Without Googling.
He has a postgraduate degree in human resources from Bhartiya Vidya Bhavan, Delhi, a postgraduate diploma in labour law from Madras University, a postgraduate diploma in school counselling from Symbiosis, Pune, and a certification in child psychology from Counsel India.
He has also completed his master’s degree in career counselling from ICCC-Mindler and Counsel, India.

Hello Sir, My son has got VIT CSE core under category 4 and likely to get ECE in MSRIT Bangalore through COMEDK. Kindly advise on which one to choose between these two.

Ans: Prefer MSRIT-Bengaluru for ECE over VIT-CSE, if you are ok with ECE also. If you prefer CSE, you can go for VIT, but take into consideration your parents' affordability to pay the Fees when compared to each other. All The BEST for your Bright Future.

To know more on ‘ Careers | Education | Jobs | Resume Writing | Profile Building | Salary Negotiation Skills | Building Professional LinkedIn Profile | Choosing Right School Board (State | Matriculation | CBSE | ICSE |International Board) | Student Psychological Counselling | Exam Preparation Techniques (Board | Entrance & Competitive)| Job Interview Skills | Skill Upgrading | Parenting & Child Upbringing Skills | Career Transition | Abroad Education | Education Loan (India | Abroad) | Scholarship (India | Abroad)’, please FOLLOW me in RediffGURU here.

Nayagam PP |
EduJob360 |
CERTIFIED Career Coach
https://www.linkedin.com/in/edujob360/

Hello mam, During the mid of my 12th, I began to serious think about what I am going to do after 12th, before that I just watched a lot of science related shows, and some books, so i thought of becoming a research scientist but i was never serious about it. I was never interested in engineering as it is a technical field, so i very recklessly ignored my jee which were during January in 2023. I gave 12th and got 89% . Still, i was in this dilemma what should I purse, i was thinking that there is stable financial life if i take engineering cse, but on the other hand, i had my passion, so I wanted to take pure science. I was really confused and kept over thinking about it, so i messed up my April attempt as well. After that, i had options to do cuet (for du etc) or join a local govt engineering college. But, i thought that I can get iisc( for bs research) through jee advanced next year if i take a drop and prepare for it because iisc has kashmiri migrant cutoff of 8000 crl rank. So thought it was good. Now, i am in my drop year but still the thought are lingering in my mind that i won't be able to have a stable life if i take bs, then ms after PhD, all that takes time and if done from abroad only, they can provide good financial stability. So I am really confused right now what should I do? My father spend 2 lakhs in 11th+12th and now 70K in coaching, i think how can I repay him... that's kinda silly but still....also I don't want a cooperative job. What should I do?? Please guide me mam 😭 please 🙏
Ans: Aryan, please update your status as of now in July 2024 to enable me to answer. All the BEST.

Hi Sir Iam 54 years old with health issues. I have personal debts to a tune of 70 lakhs. I have a small business which gives me an average monthly income of Rs 30000. On an average my monthly requirement is 1.5lakh. I own a property which is worth around 4 to 5 crore. I have a few options: Option 1: Take half the property, develop it into plots and sell it. Here I will initially need to put in money towards project expenses, which means some more borrowing. Else I can wait to pre sell about 4 plots, which will help me to cover the expenses to develop the plots and then later sell the balance plots and repay my existing debts and then put deposit the balance money in the bank and see if the interest will sustain my monthly requirements. This option has the usual risks of delayed sale of plots etc. Option 2: just sell part of the land as it is. I will get around 1.5 cores if I do this. Out of this 1.5 I will use 70 lakhs towards debt repayment. If I deposit the balance 70lakhs in the bank, how much interest will I get monthly? Option 3: Sell the entire property for about 4 to 5 crores. Repay the 70 lakh debt and invest the balance in bank etc. But this means I will not own anything, and will have to rent a house etc. So my monthly requirement will go upto 2 lakhs per month. Here, the down side is I will be giving up all my assets, which I had retained would have grown in value. Please advise. Thanks.
Ans: At 54, with health issues and a substantial personal debt of Rs 70 lakhs, you are managing a small business that brings in Rs 30,000 per month. Your monthly financial requirement is Rs 1.5 lakhs. You own a valuable property worth around Rs 4-5 crores. You have three main options to consider for managing your debt and ensuring a steady income.

Assessing Your Options
Let's explore each option with a detailed analysis:

Option 1: Develop and Sell Plots
Developing your property into plots and selling them could be lucrative. However, this option involves significant upfront costs and the risk of delays in sales.

Advantages:

Higher Potential Returns: Selling plots can yield higher returns compared to selling the property as a whole.

Retain Ownership: You still retain a portion of the property.

Disadvantages:

Initial Investment: You will need to invest money upfront for development costs, leading to more borrowing.

Risk of Delays: There’s a risk of delayed sales, which can affect your ability to repay debts on time.

Project Management: Managing such a project can be stressful and time-consuming, especially given your health issues.

Option 2: Sell Part of the Land
Selling part of the land can provide immediate funds without the need for further borrowing. This option seems less risky than developing plots.

Advantages:

Immediate Funds: You get immediate funds to repay the Rs 70 lakhs debt.

Reduced Risk: Fewer risks compared to developing plots, as it does not involve further borrowing or project delays.

Disadvantages:

Limited Funds: Selling only part of the land may not generate sufficient funds for long-term sustainability.

Interest Income: Interest from Rs 70 lakhs may not cover your monthly requirement of Rs 1.5 lakhs.

Option 3: Sell Entire Property
Selling the entire property can clear your debts and provide a substantial amount for future investments. This option, however, means giving up ownership and potentially increasing your monthly expenses due to rent.

Advantages:

Debt-Free: You can repay the Rs 70 lakhs debt completely.

Large Corpus: You will have a significant corpus to invest for future income.

Disadvantages:

No Ownership: You will lose ownership of the property, which could appreciate in value over time.

Increased Expenses: Renting a house will increase your monthly financial requirement to Rs 2 lakhs.

Evaluating the Best Option
Given your health issues and the need for a stable monthly income, it's crucial to choose an option that minimizes stress and ensures financial security.

Option 1: Feasibility and Risks
Developing and selling plots can be profitable, but the upfront investment and potential delays pose significant risks. At your age and with health concerns, managing such a project might be too demanding.

Option 2: Immediate Debt Relief
Selling part of the land seems like a balanced approach. You can repay the Rs 70 lakhs debt immediately and invest the remaining Rs 70 lakhs. However, you need to evaluate if the interest income from Rs 70 lakhs is enough to meet your monthly requirements.

Bank Interest Income:

Interest Rate: Assume an average bank interest rate of 6% per annum.

Monthly Income: Rs 70 lakhs * 6% / 12 = Rs 35,000 per month.

With Rs 35,000 from interest and Rs 30,000 from your business, your total monthly income would be Rs 65,000, which is insufficient to meet your Rs 1.5 lakhs requirement.

Option 3: Long-Term Security
Selling the entire property provides a substantial amount to invest. Post repayment of the Rs 70 lakhs debt, you will have approximately Rs 3.3-4.3 crores for investment.

Investment Strategy:

Diversified Portfolio: Invest in a mix of fixed deposits, mutual funds, and bonds to generate a steady income.
Recommended Strategy
Considering the analysis, Option 3 seems the most viable for ensuring long-term financial security despite its downsides. Here’s a detailed plan:

Debt Repayment and Initial Investment
Repay Debt: Use Rs 70 lakhs to clear the debt.

Remaining Funds: Invest the remaining Rs 3.3-4.3 crores wisely.

Investment Allocation
Fixed Deposits: Allocate 20% (Rs 66 lakhs to Rs 86 lakhs) to fixed deposits for a stable, risk-free income.

Mutual Funds: Invest 50% (Rs 1.65-2.15 crores) in mutual funds for higher returns.

Bonds and Debentures: Allocate 20% (Rs 66 lakhs to Rs 86 lakhs) to bonds and debentures for moderate risk and steady income.

Emergency Fund: Keep 10% (Rs 33-43 lakhs) in a liquid fund as an emergency reserve.

Monthly Income from Investments
Fixed Deposits: Rs 66 lakhs at 6% annual interest = Rs 3.96 lakhs per year or Rs 33,000 per month.

Mutual Funds: Assuming an average annual return of 10%, Rs 1.65 crores = Rs 16.5 lakhs per year or Rs 1.37 lakhs per month.

Bonds and Debentures: Rs 66 lakhs at 7% annual interest = Rs 4.62 lakhs per year or Rs 38,500 per month.

Total Monthly Income: Rs 33,000 + Rs 1.37 lakhs + Rs 38,500 = Rs 2.08 lakhs.

This income exceeds your monthly requirement of Rs 1.5 lakhs, ensuring a comfortable lifestyle.

Addressing Concerns
Health Issues
Your health issues require careful consideration. A stress-free and secure financial strategy is crucial. Selling the entire property and investing wisely reduces financial stress and ensures a steady income.

Ownership and Future Value
While losing ownership of the property is a concern, investing the proceeds in diversified assets can provide better financial security. Properties can appreciate, but they also come with risks and responsibilities.

Increased Expenses
Renting a house will increase your monthly expenses. However, the proposed investment strategy generates sufficient income to cover this increase.

Your situation demands a careful balance of debt repayment, investment, and monthly income generation. Considering your health and financial needs, selling the entire property and investing the proceeds in a diversified portfolio seems the most secure option. This strategy ensures debt repayment, generates sufficient monthly income, and reduces financial stress. Always consult with a certified financial planner to tailor this strategy to your specific needs and ensure optimal results.

Hello Sir, I am 33 years old. Below is my asset. 1) PPF - 18 LAKH (I DEPOSIT 150000 PER YEAR) 2) STOCK (Invested almost 7 lakh) 3 ) SIP MONTHLY 19K ( INVESTED 13 lakh as of now) 4) Have my own house 5 ) 1.6 crore in post office schemes. 6) My salary almost 90k.but its uncertain. Do not have any NPS account. Want to retire when I am 40 but its uncertain. Do not want to rely on my job. Will that be a good decision? I want to generate a passive income of 1 lakh per month.will that be possible? I am recently married now.
Ans: Your aspirations of retiring by 40 and generating a passive income of Rs. 1 lakh per month are ambitious yet achievable with careful planning. Let’s delve into a detailed plan to help you reach your goals.

Assessing Your Current Financial Situation
Assets Overview
PPF (Public Provident Fund):

You have Rs. 18 lakh invested.
You contribute Rs. 1.5 lakh annually.
Stocks:

Investment of Rs. 7 lakh.
SIP (Systematic Investment Plan):

Monthly investment of Rs. 19,000.
Total investment so far is Rs. 13 lakh.
Own House:

This provides you with stability and reduces rental expenses.
Post Office Schemes:

Investment of Rs. 1.6 crore.
Salary:

Rs. 90,000 per month but it’s uncertain.
Financial Health
Your diversified investments are commendable. Your significant investments in post office schemes provide security. Your contributions to PPF and SIPs show your discipline in saving and investing. Owning your house is a strong financial asset, reducing living expenses.

Setting Goals and Strategies
Passive Income Generation
Generating a passive income of Rs. 1 lakh per month requires strategic planning. Your current investments are strong but may need adjustments for better returns and stability.

Retirement by 40
Retiring by 40 means you need a robust financial cushion. You’ll need enough to cover living expenses and medical costs for the long term.

Investment Strategies
PPF is a stable and tax-efficient investment. Continuing your annual contributions is wise. It provides a safe and steady return, which is beneficial for long-term planning.

Stock Market Investments
Your Rs. 7 lakh investment in stocks is good. Diversify your portfolio to mitigate risks. Consider investing in a mix of large-cap, mid-cap, and small-cap stocks. This balance can provide both stability and growth.

SIPs are an excellent way to invest in mutual funds. Your monthly Rs. 19,000 investment is significant. Focus on actively managed funds rather than index funds. Actively managed funds offer the potential for higher returns due to professional management.

Post Office Schemes
Your Rs. 1.6 crore investment is a solid base. These schemes are safe but often provide lower returns compared to other investments. Consider diversifying a portion of these funds into higher-yield investments.

Diversifying Investments
Mutual Funds:

Consider allocating more to actively managed mutual funds. They can provide better returns than passive funds or post office schemes.
Equity Investments:

Increase your equity exposure for higher returns. This includes direct stocks and equity mutual funds.
Debt Instruments:

Balance your portfolio with some high-quality debt instruments for stability.
Ensure you have an emergency fund covering 6-12 months of expenses. This fund should be liquid and easily accessible. It provides a safety net in case of job uncertainty or other emergencies.

Insurance Planning
Health Insurance:

Secure comprehensive health insurance for you and your spouse. This safeguards against unexpected medical expenses.
Life Insurance:

Ensure adequate life insurance coverage to protect your family’s financial future. Avoid investment-linked insurance policies. Pure term insurance offers better coverage at lower premiums.
Tax Efficiency
Maximize your tax savings by utilizing available exemptions and deductions. PPF, life insurance premiums, and health insurance premiums are tax-efficient investments.

Creating a Passive Income Stream
Dividend Stocks
Invest in high dividend-yielding stocks. They provide a regular income stream. Choose companies with a history of stable and increasing dividends.

Rental Income
If possible, consider renting out a part of your property. This can provide a steady passive income.

Interest Income
Invest in bonds or debentures offering regular interest payouts. This provides a predictable income stream.

Consider SWPs from mutual funds for regular income. This strategy allows you to withdraw a fixed amount periodically from your mutual fund investments.

Peer-to-Peer Lending
Explore peer-to-peer lending platforms. They offer higher interest rates than traditional savings. However, assess the risks before investing.

Calculate Retirement Corpus
Estimate the corpus needed to retire comfortably. Consider your current expenses, inflation, and life expectancy.

Investment Allocation
Equities:

Continue investing in equities for growth. Over time, reduce exposure to manage risk.
Debt:

Increase debt investments as you approach retirement. This ensures stability and reduces risk.
Regular Reviews
Review your portfolio regularly. Adjust based on market conditions and life changes. Stay informed and proactive in managing your investments.

Financial Discipline
Maintain financial discipline and avoid unnecessary expenses. Save and invest diligently. Avoid relying solely on your job for financial security.

Budgeting
Create a budget to track income and expenses. This helps in managing finances effectively and identifying areas to save.

Avoid Debt
Minimize debt and avoid high-interest loans. Debt can erode your savings and affect financial stability.

Continuous Learning
Stay informed about financial markets and investment options. Continuous learning helps in making informed decisions.

Your financial journey is commendable. With your diversified investments and disciplined saving, you're on a solid path. Retiring at 40 is ambitious but achievable with strategic planning. Focus on creating a passive income stream through diverse investments. Regularly review and adjust your portfolio to align with your goals.

Your goal of generating Rs. 1 lakh per month in passive income is attainable. It requires careful planning and disciplined investing. By diversifying your portfolio and focusing on higher-yield investments, you can achieve financial independence.

Congratulations on your recent marriage! Planning your finances together ensures a secure future. Stay committed to your financial goals and maintain discipline in your investments. Best of luck in your journey towards early retirement and financial independence.