Abhishek

Abhishek Shah  |76 Answers  |Ask -

HR Expert - Answered on May 15, 2023

Hi Abhishek! I am a lost entrepreneur having 13 years experience. I found decent exit from my previous startup where I've put in 10 years in different roles at elementary level like Marketing, Customer Success, Product, Tech but haven't developed a niche. In last 3 years, I've worked with an early stage startup which failed. Now when I came out of there, I feel so insecure about future not having any expertise even after having 13 years of experience so to say. Please guide how to find my liking and develop expertise quickly or how can I navigate my career so that I am viewed at least as a competent mid career professional.

Ans: Hi there,

It's great to hear about your extensive entrepreneurial experience. Finding your niche and developing expertise can be a valuable step in advancing your career. Here are a few suggestions to help you navigate your career and be viewed as a competent mid-career professional:

Reflect on your past experiences: Take some time to reflect on your previous roles and identify the aspects you enjoyed the most. Consider the skills you excelled at and the tasks that brought you the most satisfaction. This reflection can provide insights into potential areas of expertise.

Assess your strengths and interests: Conduct a self-assessment to identify your strengths, skills, and interests. What are you naturally good at? What topics or industries fascinate you? This evaluation can help you pinpoint areas where you can build expertise more quickly.

Stay updated with industry trends: Stay informed about the latest trends and developments in your field of interest. Subscribe to relevant newsletters, follow influential figures on social media, and attend industry conferences or webinars. This will help you gain a deeper understanding of the subject matter and identify potential areas of specialization.

Seek learning opportunities: Take advantage of various learning resources available, such as online courses, workshops, or certifications. These can provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills to build expertise in a specific area.

Network and collaborate: Engage with professionals in your field of interest. Attend industry events, join relevant communities or associations, and participate in networking activities. Building connections and collaborating with others can help you gain exposure, learn from experts, and discover new opportunities.

Start small and build gradually: Begin by focusing on a specific aspect or niche within your field of interest. By starting small, you can gradually build your expertise and become known for your proficiency in that particular area. As you gain experience and credibility, you can expand your scope and take on more challenging projects.

Remember, developing expertise takes time and effort. Be patient with yourself and embrace continuous learning. By leveraging your past experiences, identifying your strengths and interests, staying updated, seeking learning opportunities, networking, and starting small, you can work towards becoming a competent mid-career professional in your chosen niche.
Good luck on your journey!

Regards,
Abhishek

Nitin

Nitin Sathe  |127 Answers  |Ask -

HR, Recruitment Expert - Answered on Apr 06, 2023

Nitin

Nitin Sathe  |127 Answers  |Ask -

HR, Recruitment Expert - Answered on Jan 12, 2024

Hello Sir, I am 39 years old, married and have 10 years old daughter. I work in a BPO (Risk and Compliance Department) since I was 23. Since I was not ambitious during my college days and till now I have no goals, no aim, no passion, the current job I find it very boring. I am stucked at an Analyst level since last 17 years. Also, with lot of family issues at my home, my mind does not work openly and have stucked in the comfort zone. I am a hard working person but not smart working. My wife is a housewife and have no other income other than my job. I want to grow, do lots of hard working but due to lack of self confidence, I always have a fear to get at TL or Manager level. Also, I am not sure which industry I have interest in. It is only since 17 years, I am doing this job, I tell everybody that I am from a BPO sector. But I really want to earn more so that I can fulfill my family needs but please help me in which direction I should go and Howww? I know at the age of 40, I cannot start working in a new sector with no prior experience but really is it too late to change the sector? and if no, Please suggest me any industry where I can start from scratch, learn new things and can work with great interest and can grow myself.
Ans: I find your first few sentences very negative. Please get a hold of yourself and regain your lost confidence. To start from scratch at this stage is not advisable but one can branch off into related fields about which you know the best. Change your attitude, think positive and the solutions will come to you! Other than this is really cannot suggest anything specific since the information given is inadequate.

Workplace Expert - Answered on May 25, 2024

Hello Sir, I am a 31 yr old female, from Mumbai I have been working in a small scale Indian firm as an accounts executive for the past 6 years. There is no growth and learning , I handle basic invoicing, clients ledgers, maintaining ledgers, Accounts reporting etc. I struggle with self confidence and low willingness. and there is added struggle in personal life too. Now at this point I feel stuck and helpless. I feel changing job and carrer would help me gain a bit of confidence. I think i should upskill myself, with data analysis cources such as SQL, Tableau, Python.. What would you suggest ? What would be a better roadmap for me to gain confidence in my career
Ans: Hello Maam

I am sorry to hear about your situation, I can feel your pain.

On the professional side, suggest you ask yourself what all skills you have and how you can enhance them...and then look out for firms through your network which offers better growth opportunities.

It's good to have IT skills, however many a times unless those IT skills are put to use on a daily basis you may lose them.

Suggest you take up some courses around your domain of accounts and finance. Some online courses.

On the personal front I am sure you will be able to sort things.

Fighting battles on both personal and professional front can be very challenging, suggest you take things a bit slowly and most important please be kind to yourself. At the end we are all humans with our own strength and weakness and it's important that we understand that.

I am sure you will come out of your current tough situation soon and your life will be filled with rainbow.

All the best.