HR, Workspace Expert - Answered on Sep 20, 2023

R P Yadav is the founder, chairman and managing director of Genius Consultants Limited, a 30-year-old human resources solutions company.
Over the years, he has been the recipient of numerous awards including the Lifetime Achievement Award from World HR Congress and HR Person Of The Year from Public Relations Council of India.
Asked by Anonymous - Sep 19, 2023Translate

I am 40+ years old. I worked for a few years after Pos Grad and due to family constraints had taken a long sabbatical. About 5 years ago I went to back to work moved from small firms to a corporate. However, I find myself still at the entry level position. My colleagues at the same level were not even born when I finished my college. I really feel very old amongst them and cannot gel with them also it bugs me that people of my age in the firm are at very senior position.Switching over jobs I dont will make sense either as it will be the same trend everywhere. I dont know how to address this issue. Please suggest

Ans: Hi,
It was a destiny to take a sabbatical leave for 5 years which has left you behind from others. You have to get rid of this mentally and give your best efforts towards your job and profession as destiny and luck will change one day and you will be in a better position in life.

Relationships Expert, Mind Coach - Answered on Jan 07, 2024

I am 40+. I worked for a few years after Post Grad and due to family constraints had taken a long sabbatical. About 5 years ago I went to back to work moved from small firms to a corporate. However, I find myself still at the entry level position. My colleagues at the same level were not even born when I finished my college. I really feel very old amongst them and cannot gel with them also it bugs me that people of my age in the firm are at very senior position.Switching over jobs I dont will make sense either as it will be the same trend everywhere. I dont know how to address this issue. Please suggest
Ans: career paths are unique for each individual, and success is not solely defined by age or job title. Focus on your personal growth, contributions to your organization, and finding fulfillment in your workUnderstand that your age and experience bring unique strengths to the table. You likely have a wealth of knowledge and skills that can be valuable to your current organization. Identify and leverage these strengths in your current role. Consider investing in professional development opportunities to update your skills and stay current in your field Build relationships with colleagues, both younger and older, through networking Networking can help you feel more connected and open up opportunities for mentorship or collaboration. Connect with more senior colleagues or mentors within your organization. They can provide guidance on career advancement, share their experiences, and help you navigate the corporate culture Understanding the expectations for career progression can help you set realistic goals Find common ground with your colleagues, regardless of age differences. Engage in team-building activities, attend social events, and try to connect on a personal level. Building strong relationships with your team members can improve collaboration and create a more positive work environment.
Career progression can take time, especially when re-entering the workforce after a break. Stay persistent, continue to demonstrate your skills and dedication, and be patient as you work towards your goals.

I will be retiring in October 2024 and expecting a retirement corpus of Rs 80 lakh. I would be spending 60 per cent of this amount on my son’s medical admission and studies. How should I invest the rest in different sectors to earn monthly income of nearly about 40,000?
Ans: Given your retirement corpus of Rs 80 lakh and your plan to allocate 60% of it towards your son's medical admission and studies, which amounts to Rs 48 lakh, you'll have Rs 32 lakh remaining for investment. To generate a monthly income of approximately Rs 40,000, you'll need to carefully plan your investment strategy. Here's a suggested approach:

1. Assess Your Risk Tolerance: Before investing, consider your risk tolerance, investment horizon, and financial goals. Since you're retiring soon and seeking a regular monthly income, it's advisable to focus on relatively stable and income-generating investment options.

2. Allocate Funds: With Rs 32 lakh available for investment, you can allocate the amount across different investment instruments to achieve diversification and manage risk.

3 Income-Generating Investments: To generate a monthly income of Rs 40,000, you'll need investments that offer regular payouts. Here are some options to consider:

a. Senior Citizen Savings Scheme (SCSS): This government-backed savings scheme offers quarterly interest payouts. You can invest up to Rs 15 lakh individually and earn regular income at a fixed interest rate, currently around 7.4% per annum.

b. Post Office Monthly Income Scheme (POMIS): Another government-backed scheme that provides monthly income. The maximum investment limit is Rs 4.5 lakh for an individual account and Rs 9 lakh for a joint account. The current interest rate is around 6.6% per annum.

c. Fixed Deposits (FDs): Consider investing a portion of your corpus in fixed deposits offered by banks or financial institutions. Opt for monthly interest payout FDs to generate regular income.

d. Debt Mutual Funds: Invest a portion in debt mutual funds that focus on generating steady income with relatively lower risk compared to equity funds. Choose funds with a track record of consistent returns and low expense ratios.

4. Systematic Withdrawal Plan (SWP): For investments in mutual funds or other growth-oriented instruments, consider setting up a systematic withdrawal plan. SWP allows you to withdraw a fixed amount regularly, which can serve as your monthly income.

5. Emergency Fund: Set aside a portion of your corpus as an emergency fund to cover unexpected expenses or contingencies. This fund should be easily accessible and parked in liquid or low-risk instruments like savings accounts or liquid funds.

6. Review and Adjust: Regularly review your investment portfolio to ensure it remains aligned with your financial goals and income requirements. Adjust your asset allocation and investment strategy as needed based on changing market conditions and personal circumstances.

It's crucial to consult with a financial advisor or planner who can provide personalised advice based on your specific situation and goals. They can help you create a comprehensive retirement plan and investment strategy tailored to your needs, risk tolerance, and income requirements. Additionally, consider tax implications on your investment income and consult with a tax advisor to optimise your tax efficiency.