Workplace Expert - Answered on Mar 27, 2024

Krishna Kumar is the founder and CEO of GoMoTech, a company that provides strategic consulting in B2B sales, performance management and digital transformation.
Before branching out on his own, he worked with companies like Microsoft, Rediff, Flipkart and InMobi.
With over 25 years of experience under his belt, KK is a regular speaker at industry events and academic intuitions, both in India as well as abroad.
KK completed his MBA in marketing from the Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning in Andhra Pradesh and his management development programme from XLRI, Jamshedpur.

I have 18 yrs of exp in recruitment field,yet have been able to build my skills.i have not become manager and so salary has not grown.ihave worked in consultancy only. At age 47,I feel burnout,and am without job opportunity due to stability and age .pl advise

Ans: Dear

I can feel your pain...it's not easy..

Few thoughts.

1. Talk to your friends and family to understand yourself better...why you got stuck...was it because of poor decisions, behaviour issues or anything else...do an honest self introspection.

2. Talk to senior people from industry and understand from them what you can do now.

3. Accept your emotional state...if you think appropriate go and talk to therapist they will help you understand yourself better.

While I know how painful it must be for you however I would say that it's pain and suffering that forces us to introspect and that provides us direction...so believe in yourself and life force.

Fact that you have come this far in life that shows you have tenacity and resilience... believe in that strength of yours and it will help you move forward. Your Sincerity will guide you.

All the best.

Mayank Rautela  |238 Answers  |Ask -

HR Expert - Answered on Mar 18, 2021

Hello Mayank,I am a commerce graduate and have around 15 years of experience in back office operations.I am currently working at the document management department in an oil and gas MNC at a designation equivalent to that of a senior clerk.I am nearing 40 and I will be losing my current job in the next few months.My problem is that I am searching for a new job since one year but not getting any interviews. I guess this is due to my age (I am 40 and still at the clerical level) and my salary (around Rs 50,000) which is a bit on higher side with respect to my designation in my city.I don't have the skillsets or attitude for a team leader or managerial position.At present, I am not in a financial and mental state to acquire new skill sets, learn new things or start new businesses which are obvious suggestions.I can't work in BPOs as they don't hire associates at this salary and particularly at this age. Besides, I am not comfortable working night shifts.Could you suggest some different solution to my problem as I have already figured out/tried the common ones.Thanks in advance.Name withheld on request.

Hi.

Your question has so many ‘I can't’ statements that you have yourself ruled out many feasible options.

Please remember that, in the job market, there are many more qualified people than there are decent jobs. So you will certainly need to change your mindset and be flexible to adapt and learn new skill sets.

Even Sachin Tendulkar had to adapt to T-20 to play the IPL!

Approach the situation with a positive mindset and things will work out for you.

Abhishek

Abhishek Shah  |76 Answers  |Ask -

HR Expert - Answered on Nov 17, 2023

HR, Workspace Expert - Answered on Mar 26, 2024

I have 18 yrs of exp in Recruitment field, yet have Not been able to build my skills. I have not become a manager and so my salary has not grown. I have worked in consultancies only (not companies ) At age 47, I feel burnout, and am without job opportunity due to stability and age . Pl advise.
Ans: I’m sorry to hear that you’re feeling this way, but please remember that it’s never too late to make changes in your career. Here are a few suggestions:

Upskill: Consider upskilling in areas that are in demand in the recruitment field. This could be data analysis, HR technologies, or even soft skills like leadership and negotiation. There are many online platforms offering courses that you can take at your own pace.
Networking: Networking can open up opportunities that you might not find in job postings. Attend industry events, join online forums or groups related to your field, and don’t hesitate to reach out to old colleagues or friends.
Mentorship: A mentor who has experience in your field can provide guidance, help you set career goals, and offer advice on professional development.
Well-being: It’s important to take care of your mental health. If you’re feeling burnout, it might be helpful to speak to a professional who can provide strategies to manage stress. Remember, it’s okay to take breaks and make time for activities you enjoy.
Consult a Career Coach: A career coach can provide personalized advice based on your specific situation. They can help you identify your strengths, explore different career paths, and plan actionable steps towards your career goals.
Remember, everyone’s career path is unique and it’s okay to take your time to figure out what works best for you. Good luck!

Archana

Archana Deshpande  |45 Answers  |Ask -

Image Coach, Soft Skills Trainer - Answered on Apr 16, 2024

I have 17 yrs experience in the Recruitment field, yet have Not been able to build my skills. I have not become a manager and so my salary has not grown. I have worked in consultancies only (not companies ) At age 47, I feel burnout, and am without job opportunity due to stability and age . Pl advise.
Ans: Hi!!You have the experience, 17 yrs ….build your future on it! Nothing in life ever goes waste. Look a little deeper into yourself, why is that you didn’t become a manager? What skills you need? Looking the part, leadership skills, public speaking, communication skills? In today’s world you can learn any skill that you want… believe in yourself, perform a SWOT analysis ( Google SWOT ) .
Put everything on paper… you’ll get a lot of clarity and it will no longer overwhelm you. Any age is a good age to start learning. You are just 47… there is still a whole life ahead of you!!
Burnout comes when you stop learning and not doing stuff that brings you joy. Next 30 days., you’ll do the following-
1. 20 mins of physical activity, it can be anything which makes your heart beat faster, brisk walks, dancing non- stop , etc
2. 10-15 mins of any activity which fills your heart with joy,( make your joy list, start doing one of them every day) Your energy for life comes from your joy list!
3 spending time in nature ( nature heals you)
4. Up skilling yourself
Forget the past now, we can’t change it…plan all of your today with one step in the future and it all starts with taking care of yourself..
All the best…