Sachin Question by Sachin on Apr 05, 2023Hindi

Recently my elder brother has expired. His wife since after marriage has never shown in interest to behave well with my brother nor with my father, mother and me. More of she like to enjoy life, flirting. Since my brother nature was very soft, he never fighted with her on this and she has kept him under her control. She has one 7 year kid and she doesn't care at all about him. My mother and father are taking care of the kid. In such situations l, my father has transferred the house on my name and other finances stuff as well. Since my brother expired, she is now forcing my father to give her house. Nd my father is not willing to give her and want her to leave house. And send the kid to boarding school as he knows that she will ruined the kid life. Pls suggest how we can make her go away from our house and also make the kid future arrnagement.

Ans: I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your brother and the difficult situation you are facing. It's important to handle the situation with sensitivity and compassion, especially for the child involved.

Firstly, it's important to consider the legal aspects of the property transfer and ensure that everything is in order. You may want to consult with a lawyer or legal professional to understand your options and any legal implications of the situation.

In terms of making her leave the house, it's important to approach the situation with empathy and understanding, while also being firm about your boundaries. It may be helpful to have a family meeting to discuss the situation and come up with a plan together. You could suggest alternative housing options for her and the child, or offer to help her find a new place to live.

Regarding the child's future, it's important to prioritize their well-being and ensure that they are provided with a stable and nurturing environment. You may want to consider options such as counseling for the child, or exploring alternative living arrangements that would be in the best interest of the child.

It's also important to approach the situation with compassion and empathy for your brother's wife, even if her behavior has been difficult to deal with. Grief can manifest in different ways, and it's possible that she may be struggling with her own emotions and feelings of loss.

In any case, it may be helpful to seek the guidance of a therapist or counselor who can help you navigate the complexities of the situation and provide support to all involved.

Dear Anu I am a 46 year old man .. married for last 16 years... My wife is well educated but a house wife by choice.. I lost my father when i was 18 and had struggled a lot to gain a great life in terms of money, name in my field and satisfaction at work. At home front we live a nuclear family... me, my wife and my 12 year daughter. But after my marriage in 2006 for next 6/7 years we were in joint family. my daughter was born in 2010.. In joint family me, my younger brother his wife and my mother were members... during these years, my wife never got along with my mother, brother and his wife... and also had fights [severe kind] where she accused them for petty reason...she demanded separate house within 3 month of marriage.. but since I was not financially settled so I promised her we will buy own home in course of time... but over these 6&7 years her behavior started really erratic.. she stopped talking to everyone, and keep fighting with all my family. also the house with joint family owned my me and younger brother... she demanded i should sell the house and get my share to buy own house. which i refused as my brother and his family with my mother were also staying there... and while buying it my mother had helped us financially, without having her name as owner. over the period things became really bitter... we also had fights where out of anger I happened to slap her.. but as promised I bought another house [with lot of efforts since i m self employee] within 5/6 years and we shifted to another city around our previous house. but after shifting she had the same temperament. She never got along with me.. Over an argument she would stop talking to me, and when confronted she would mention about my share in old house which i left... she was not happy seeing my brother living in that house with his family and my mother... i told her as promised we bought this house and I haven't withdrew my share in that house.. may be over the year i will take my share as per market value.. but at this point we don't need to do it.. since it will involve a lot of turbulence for my brother, his family and my mother as they were settled there. so I strongly told her she should not think about as she have her house and focus on it. Over these time, we had a very cute daughter... growing.. her schooling started.. i got busy with my work... and my wife by choice chose to be house wife... taking care of house... but she was hell bent on the house issue over selling it and taking my share.. and due to that we had several fights... which became my life miserable. her point was why pay EMI when you can get share and pay off the loans for new house. in these 8/9 years she became bitter person... no ties with my relatives /cousins, no friends, never got along with neighbors... and opposite to that i have very cordial relation with her family, cousins, my family and have great social circle. when my daughter was 10 year old, i was already settled with good career and financial status... i had cleared all the home loan for our new home... i did everything all out to make her happier but her wish to sell that house where my brother with his wife and my mother i didn't take share or sell it.. and she keeps nagging me with that and her temperament getting worst... now she started accusing me for having an affair and threatening me that she will complain police if i argue with her. unfortunately my daughter had to see this... but my daughter is very sorted, focused and a good kid. In last 2 years i managed to buy another house, which is bigger, where we shifted 1.5 years back, she wanted to do a puja and refused to invite anyone from my family.. also bought one more house as investment.. and a farm too as second home... Im very happy and satisfied with my career and other aspects of life... but the bitterness of wife kept on increasing... sometimes i felt she wanted me to fail and she could just take the pleasure of making me feel how she was right.. which never happened.. Now she is completely out of touch with my family... her anger triggers when i speak to my brother , my mom, Now over these years my brother also managed to earn some money and he paid me an amount as part of my share for the house he is living.. which we mutually agreed among us... and i withdrew my name from that property... i informed this to my wife.. first she didnt believe.. and then she was not interested in it.. so basically over these years i managed to fulfil everything what i promised also took my share from the joint house even i was not very happy with that situation. but all these incidences.. my wife became a difficult person to deal with... be it talking a simple conversation or smallest issue.. we don't have any physical relation .... we sleep in different bedrooms.. my wife also became too possessive and control freak with my daughter.. my daughter is 12 now and she retaliate with it.. so even they keep fighting now... me and my daughter have a great bonding... over these period i started feeling that i married a wrong person.. sometimes i think of divorce but i m worried about my daughter.. and also lot other things as im 45 already.. i wont say that i have never done any mistake while these 16 years but i never chose to disconnect with my wife... i worked really hard to earn money to build a good fortune for my wife and daughter... but looks like she doesn't care... and she takes me completely for granted... she thinks i wont leave her and will be stuck around.. i also advised to visit a therapist or counselor... or join a meditation or do anything she likes to do... be it creative or extra curricular.. but she just ignores it... i am into creative field and this domestic chaos sometimes really bothers me. it never effected my work yet but i m worried it might just. Let me know your opinion... if there is something i can do more to help this mess with my wife.
Clearly your wife has a streak of wanting people to want her, literally where it comes off as her being possessive of them (I gather this from what you have shared). I only have a one-sided view and don't know fully well why your wife chooses to be possessive.
She does not want to share you or what you earn with your family; it only suggests that she is worried about losing both. It may seem like they are unfounded fears but they exist in real for her.
Obviously your pleas to see a counselor will better her life and it is easier to stay where she is as nothing needs to change. It seems relatively clear that she fears LOSING!
How this got there or did it become even more evident because of the tussles between your family and her; no one knows. You would not completely know what transpired between your wife and your family; but something has triggered within her to hold on to her beliefs.
Anyway, it is difficult to be where you are; but the only way out is to have a person that is neutral to handle this. It could be a mutual friend, a senior member of her side of the family, a person that she idolizes...anyone who can in a very unbiased manner approach the situation and bring out the fears.
In the meantime, you can spend more time with your daughter and give her a sense of protection and care and at the same time ensuring that she empathizes with her mother. Matters like these can go sour overnight and YES, you have held on so long, give it some more time but do facilitate the neutral person to do an Intervention ASAP.

Relationships Expert, Mind Coach - Answered on Jan 12, 2024

Asked by Anonymous - Jan 08, 2024Hindi
Hi, my only son aged 27yrs is in relationship with a girl aged 22yrs and she kept him as guarantor in her home loan of 20 lacs and took personal loan of 5 lacs from my son (which he took from NBFC and gave it to her). This all done without informing any of us in our family. She is from other state and she donot have any family members except her single mom. We have undivided family with conservative mind set. Our family members are not willing to accept her in the family as she is taking undue advantage from my son and feels untrustworthy....We have clarified to my son that in such a scenario you have to choose her or us leaving behind everything including the ancestral property. His girlfriend is not accepting him this and told him that she will accept him only if our family members accepts her. This has chaos in our calm and cool nature of our home as our son is throwing the tantrums everyday and disturbing the mental peace of every member of our family. Please advice us what can be done in this scenario as none of our family members are willing to accept her and also not wanting to part away my only son. Thanking you
Either your family sees her as someone who wants family approval and be happy with it OR you can doubt her as someone who has managed to cheat your son.
Which of it is true, only time will tell...Your son is blinded by love...how can you appeal to him? What can you say that will make him realize that he possibly can be cheated?
One way is to invite her to your home and ask her to come out clean about these money dealings and why your son chose to keep this information away from his family...If you are all convinced about her honesty, it will be easier to accept her into the family; otherwise there is a possibility that your son maybe able to see through her lies...
So, whether she is the right person for your son or not will be better known when you warmly invite her over and without any judgements give her a chance...making sense?

Please keep this anonymous Sir my husband is aged 65 yrs, and i am 60 ,both are retired and get pension My husband has a younger brother and sister.Both are married and well settled..We are settled and stable My inlaws are aged 91 and 86 respectively My father inlaw is bedridden since 15 years due to a stroke and is taken.care by my mother inlaw. They are financially stable with pension and house..My husband and his sister take turns in supporting them morally physically and help My husbands brother just comes occassionally for one day and visits and returns back..He never takes any responsibility of offering any type of physical and moral support.. My husband father has made a will of equally dividing his apartment worth around 65lakh and fds worth 30 lakh equally among the 3 children..I feel this to be unfair given the effort taken by my husband to take good care of them physically, morally Kindly advice anonymous
Ans: Navigating family dynamics and inheritance issues can be challenging, especially when there's a perceived imbalance in contributions. It's understandable to feel that your husband's significant efforts in caring for his parents should be more recognized in the will.

Parents often aim for equality in their wills to avoid conflict. They might believe that dividing assets equally is fairest, even if contributions differ. Your in-laws may not fully understand the support disparity or have other reasons for their decision.

Having an open, respectful conversation with your in-laws might help them see your perspective. If that's difficult, consider a family meeting to discuss everyone's views. Consulting an estate lawyer can clarify the will's implications and explore options for change, though this could strain family relationships.

Emotionally, support your husband by acknowledging his efforts. Sometimes, the satisfaction of caregiving can outweigh financial concerns. Propose compromises like including compensation for his contributions while maintaining equal asset division. Sentimental items could also recognize his efforts.

If the situation causes stress, a therapist can help manage feelings of resentment and provide strategies for maintaining family harmony. Balancing fairness with family relationships and emotional well-being is key. Open communication, legal advice, and emotional support will help navigate this complex issue.

Hello mam, During the mid of my 12th, I began to serious think about what I am going to do after 12th, before that I just watched a lot of science related shows, and some books, so i thought of becoming a research scientist but i was never serious about it. I was never interested in engineering as it is a technical field, so i very recklessly ignored my jee which were during January in 2023. I gave 12th and got 89% . Still, i was in this dilemma what should I purse, i was thinking that there is stable financial life if i take engineering cse, but on the other hand, i had my passion, so I wanted to take pure science. I was really confused and kept over thinking about it, so i messed up my April attempt as well. After that, i had options to do cuet (for du etc) or join a local govt engineering college. But, i thought that I can get iisc( for bs research) through jee advanced next year if i take a drop and prepare for it because iisc has kashmiri migrant cutoff of 8000 crl rank. So thought it was good. Now, i am in my drop year but still the thought are lingering in my mind that i won't be able to have a stable life if i take bs, then ms after PhD, all that takes time and if done from abroad only, they can provide good financial stability. So I am really confused right now what should I do? My father spend 2 lakhs in 11th+12th and now 70K in coaching, i think how can I repay him... that's kinda silly but still....also I don't want a cooperative job. What should I do?? Please guide me mam 😭 please 🙏
Ans: Aryan, please update your status as of now in July 2024 to enable me to answer. All the BEST.

Hi Sir Iam 54 years old with health issues. I have personal debts to a tune of 70 lakhs. I have a small business which gives me an average monthly income of Rs 30000. On an average my monthly requirement is 1.5lakh. I own a property which is worth around 4 to 5 crore. I have a few options: Option 1: Take half the property, develop it into plots and sell it. Here I will initially need to put in money towards project expenses, which means some more borrowing. Else I can wait to pre sell about 4 plots, which will help me to cover the expenses to develop the plots and then later sell the balance plots and repay my existing debts and then put deposit the balance money in the bank and see if the interest will sustain my monthly requirements. This option has the usual risks of delayed sale of plots etc. Option 2: just sell part of the land as it is. I will get around 1.5 cores if I do this. Out of this 1.5 I will use 70 lakhs towards debt repayment. If I deposit the balance 70lakhs in the bank, how much interest will I get monthly? Option 3: Sell the entire property for about 4 to 5 crores. Repay the 70 lakh debt and invest the balance in bank etc. But this means I will not own anything, and will have to rent a house etc. So my monthly requirement will go upto 2 lakhs per month. Here, the down side is I will be giving up all my assets, which I had retained would have grown in value. Please advise. Thanks.
Ans: At 54, with health issues and a substantial personal debt of Rs 70 lakhs, you are managing a small business that brings in Rs 30,000 per month. Your monthly financial requirement is Rs 1.5 lakhs. You own a valuable property worth around Rs 4-5 crores. You have three main options to consider for managing your debt and ensuring a steady income.

Assessing Your Options
Let's explore each option with a detailed analysis:

Option 1: Develop and Sell Plots
Developing your property into plots and selling them could be lucrative. However, this option involves significant upfront costs and the risk of delays in sales.

Advantages:

Higher Potential Returns: Selling plots can yield higher returns compared to selling the property as a whole.

Retain Ownership: You still retain a portion of the property.

Disadvantages:

Initial Investment: You will need to invest money upfront for development costs, leading to more borrowing.

Risk of Delays: There’s a risk of delayed sales, which can affect your ability to repay debts on time.

Project Management: Managing such a project can be stressful and time-consuming, especially given your health issues.

Option 2: Sell Part of the Land
Selling part of the land can provide immediate funds without the need for further borrowing. This option seems less risky than developing plots.

Advantages:

Immediate Funds: You get immediate funds to repay the Rs 70 lakhs debt.

Reduced Risk: Fewer risks compared to developing plots, as it does not involve further borrowing or project delays.

Disadvantages:

Limited Funds: Selling only part of the land may not generate sufficient funds for long-term sustainability.

Interest Income: Interest from Rs 70 lakhs may not cover your monthly requirement of Rs 1.5 lakhs.

Option 3: Sell Entire Property
Selling the entire property can clear your debts and provide a substantial amount for future investments. This option, however, means giving up ownership and potentially increasing your monthly expenses due to rent.

Advantages:

Debt-Free: You can repay the Rs 70 lakhs debt completely.

Large Corpus: You will have a significant corpus to invest for future income.

Disadvantages:

No Ownership: You will lose ownership of the property, which could appreciate in value over time.

Increased Expenses: Renting a house will increase your monthly financial requirement to Rs 2 lakhs.

Evaluating the Best Option
Given your health issues and the need for a stable monthly income, it's crucial to choose an option that minimizes stress and ensures financial security.

Option 1: Feasibility and Risks
Developing and selling plots can be profitable, but the upfront investment and potential delays pose significant risks. At your age and with health concerns, managing such a project might be too demanding.

Option 2: Immediate Debt Relief
Selling part of the land seems like a balanced approach. You can repay the Rs 70 lakhs debt immediately and invest the remaining Rs 70 lakhs. However, you need to evaluate if the interest income from Rs 70 lakhs is enough to meet your monthly requirements.

Bank Interest Income:

Interest Rate: Assume an average bank interest rate of 6% per annum.

Monthly Income: Rs 70 lakhs * 6% / 12 = Rs 35,000 per month.

With Rs 35,000 from interest and Rs 30,000 from your business, your total monthly income would be Rs 65,000, which is insufficient to meet your Rs 1.5 lakhs requirement.

Option 3: Long-Term Security
Selling the entire property provides a substantial amount to invest. Post repayment of the Rs 70 lakhs debt, you will have approximately Rs 3.3-4.3 crores for investment.

Investment Strategy:

Diversified Portfolio: Invest in a mix of fixed deposits, mutual funds, and bonds to generate a steady income.
Recommended Strategy
Considering the analysis, Option 3 seems the most viable for ensuring long-term financial security despite its downsides. Here’s a detailed plan:

Debt Repayment and Initial Investment
Repay Debt: Use Rs 70 lakhs to clear the debt.

Remaining Funds: Invest the remaining Rs 3.3-4.3 crores wisely.

Investment Allocation
Fixed Deposits: Allocate 20% (Rs 66 lakhs to Rs 86 lakhs) to fixed deposits for a stable, risk-free income.

Mutual Funds: Invest 50% (Rs 1.65-2.15 crores) in mutual funds for higher returns.

Bonds and Debentures: Allocate 20% (Rs 66 lakhs to Rs 86 lakhs) to bonds and debentures for moderate risk and steady income.

Emergency Fund: Keep 10% (Rs 33-43 lakhs) in a liquid fund as an emergency reserve.

Monthly Income from Investments
Fixed Deposits: Rs 66 lakhs at 6% annual interest = Rs 3.96 lakhs per year or Rs 33,000 per month.

Mutual Funds: Assuming an average annual return of 10%, Rs 1.65 crores = Rs 16.5 lakhs per year or Rs 1.37 lakhs per month.

Bonds and Debentures: Rs 66 lakhs at 7% annual interest = Rs 4.62 lakhs per year or Rs 38,500 per month.

Total Monthly Income: Rs 33,000 + Rs 1.37 lakhs + Rs 38,500 = Rs 2.08 lakhs.

This income exceeds your monthly requirement of Rs 1.5 lakhs, ensuring a comfortable lifestyle.

Addressing Concerns
Health Issues
Your health issues require careful consideration. A stress-free and secure financial strategy is crucial. Selling the entire property and investing wisely reduces financial stress and ensures a steady income.

Ownership and Future Value
While losing ownership of the property is a concern, investing the proceeds in diversified assets can provide better financial security. Properties can appreciate, but they also come with risks and responsibilities.

Increased Expenses
Renting a house will increase your monthly expenses. However, the proposed investment strategy generates sufficient income to cover this increase.

Your situation demands a careful balance of debt repayment, investment, and monthly income generation. Considering your health and financial needs, selling the entire property and investing the proceeds in a diversified portfolio seems the most secure option. This strategy ensures debt repayment, generates sufficient monthly income, and reduces financial stress. Always consult with a certified financial planner to tailor this strategy to your specific needs and ensure optimal results.

Hello Sir, I am 33 years old. Below is my asset. 1) PPF - 18 LAKH (I DEPOSIT 150000 PER YEAR) 2) STOCK (Invested almost 7 lakh) 3 ) SIP MONTHLY 19K ( INVESTED 13 lakh as of now) 4) Have my own house 5 ) 1.6 crore in post office schemes. 6) My salary almost 90k.but its uncertain. Do not have any NPS account. Want to retire when I am 40 but its uncertain. Do not want to rely on my job. Will that be a good decision? I want to generate a passive income of 1 lakh per month.will that be possible? I am recently married now.
Ans: Your aspirations of retiring by 40 and generating a passive income of Rs. 1 lakh per month are ambitious yet achievable with careful planning. Let’s delve into a detailed plan to help you reach your goals.

Assessing Your Current Financial Situation
Assets Overview
PPF (Public Provident Fund):

You have Rs. 18 lakh invested.
You contribute Rs. 1.5 lakh annually.
Stocks:

Investment of Rs. 7 lakh.
SIP (Systematic Investment Plan):

Monthly investment of Rs. 19,000.
Total investment so far is Rs. 13 lakh.
Own House:

This provides you with stability and reduces rental expenses.
Post Office Schemes:

Investment of Rs. 1.6 crore.
Salary:

Rs. 90,000 per month but it’s uncertain.
Financial Health
Your diversified investments are commendable. Your significant investments in post office schemes provide security. Your contributions to PPF and SIPs show your discipline in saving and investing. Owning your house is a strong financial asset, reducing living expenses.

Setting Goals and Strategies
Passive Income Generation
Generating a passive income of Rs. 1 lakh per month requires strategic planning. Your current investments are strong but may need adjustments for better returns and stability.

Retirement by 40
Retiring by 40 means you need a robust financial cushion. You’ll need enough to cover living expenses and medical costs for the long term.

Investment Strategies
PPF is a stable and tax-efficient investment. Continuing your annual contributions is wise. It provides a safe and steady return, which is beneficial for long-term planning.

Stock Market Investments
Your Rs. 7 lakh investment in stocks is good. Diversify your portfolio to mitigate risks. Consider investing in a mix of large-cap, mid-cap, and small-cap stocks. This balance can provide both stability and growth.

SIPs are an excellent way to invest in mutual funds. Your monthly Rs. 19,000 investment is significant. Focus on actively managed funds rather than index funds. Actively managed funds offer the potential for higher returns due to professional management.

Post Office Schemes
Your Rs. 1.6 crore investment is a solid base. These schemes are safe but often provide lower returns compared to other investments. Consider diversifying a portion of these funds into higher-yield investments.

Diversifying Investments
Mutual Funds:

Consider allocating more to actively managed mutual funds. They can provide better returns than passive funds or post office schemes.
Equity Investments:

Increase your equity exposure for higher returns. This includes direct stocks and equity mutual funds.
Debt Instruments:

Balance your portfolio with some high-quality debt instruments for stability.
Ensure you have an emergency fund covering 6-12 months of expenses. This fund should be liquid and easily accessible. It provides a safety net in case of job uncertainty or other emergencies.

Insurance Planning
Health Insurance:

Secure comprehensive health insurance for you and your spouse. This safeguards against unexpected medical expenses.
Life Insurance:

Ensure adequate life insurance coverage to protect your family’s financial future. Avoid investment-linked insurance policies. Pure term insurance offers better coverage at lower premiums.
Tax Efficiency
Maximize your tax savings by utilizing available exemptions and deductions. PPF, life insurance premiums, and health insurance premiums are tax-efficient investments.

Creating a Passive Income Stream
Dividend Stocks
Invest in high dividend-yielding stocks. They provide a regular income stream. Choose companies with a history of stable and increasing dividends.

Rental Income
If possible, consider renting out a part of your property. This can provide a steady passive income.

Interest Income
Invest in bonds or debentures offering regular interest payouts. This provides a predictable income stream.

Consider SWPs from mutual funds for regular income. This strategy allows you to withdraw a fixed amount periodically from your mutual fund investments.

Peer-to-Peer Lending
Explore peer-to-peer lending platforms. They offer higher interest rates than traditional savings. However, assess the risks before investing.

Calculate Retirement Corpus
Estimate the corpus needed to retire comfortably. Consider your current expenses, inflation, and life expectancy.

Investment Allocation
Equities:

Continue investing in equities for growth. Over time, reduce exposure to manage risk.
Debt:

Increase debt investments as you approach retirement. This ensures stability and reduces risk.
Regular Reviews
Review your portfolio regularly. Adjust based on market conditions and life changes. Stay informed and proactive in managing your investments.

Financial Discipline
Maintain financial discipline and avoid unnecessary expenses. Save and invest diligently. Avoid relying solely on your job for financial security.

Budgeting
Create a budget to track income and expenses. This helps in managing finances effectively and identifying areas to save.

Avoid Debt
Minimize debt and avoid high-interest loans. Debt can erode your savings and affect financial stability.

Continuous Learning
Stay informed about financial markets and investment options. Continuous learning helps in making informed decisions.

Your financial journey is commendable. With your diversified investments and disciplined saving, you're on a solid path. Retiring at 40 is ambitious but achievable with strategic planning. Focus on creating a passive income stream through diverse investments. Regularly review and adjust your portfolio to align with your goals.

Your goal of generating Rs. 1 lakh per month in passive income is attainable. It requires careful planning and disciplined investing. By diversifying your portfolio and focusing on higher-yield investments, you can achieve financial independence.

Congratulations on your recent marriage! Planning your finances together ensures a secure future. Stay committed to your financial goals and maintain discipline in your investments. Best of luck in your journey towards early retirement and financial independence.