Rithu Question by Rithu on Jul 01, 2024Hindi

Dear Anu, my fiancé ...( pov it’s a love marriage) always gets irritated when I point something wrong statement made by his mother. She is quite friendly but very cunning. He asks me not to talk casually with her.... My family is not this kind.... I’ve always talk to my mum like a chatterbox expressing all my feelings..... but by mistake I did this to my mil.... Sometimes I felt she is not much interested in my feelings..... she is talking to me as her son loves me ..... I guess I can’t never accept her as my mother..... my fiancée says I don’t know how to talk with them.... I haven’t said anything disrespectful... but yeah I do talk openly.... That’s how I talk.... That’s how I am wired..... but I feel deeply hurt as he mentioned that statement. I don’t know how should I behave and talk to them.... Can you suggest a solution for this.

Ans: Dear Rithu,
You will agree with me when I say that: No two people or families are same, let alone similar...
And you two are still not married. Isn't it a good time to actually get to know his side of the family as he gets to know yours and the two of you learn to adapt to who each one is rather than comparing and then feeling disappointed.
Why are you comparing your relationship with your mother with your relationship with your fiance's mother? Do you know find it silly? Moms and daughters have a different bond...you love, argue, quarrel, make it up and then love yet again. Can you assume the same to happen with your future mother-in-law as of now?
Maybe someday it might come close BUT never make the mistake of comparing people. You will always be left upset as it will never fulfill your expectations.
Instead, ACCEPT people for who you are. You are about to embark on a journey where different relationships will challenge you in different ways. the only way to ACE it will be to let people be and accept them wholeheartedly.
Given that your future MIL does not warm up to you like the way you want, give her some time to know you better. And to do that, just extend a warm heart and hand to her. Slowly, things fall into place.

DO NOT get into a family with preconceived notions about anyone and instead be curious and embrace relationships. And oh, complaining to your fiance will only end up in him defending his family and it will seem like he is not on your side. Why don't the two of you work together in understanding each others' family? That way things become smooth after marriage as well.

Asked by Anonymous - Oct 23, 2023Hindi
Because of my mother my married life is falling apart.. my mother does something purposely which hurts my wife and then quarrel starts. I pleaded my mother not to do so many times but she doesn't understand what we are loosing. I don't want to loose any of them family. Pls advice what should I do.
Ans: I'm sorry to hear that you're facing such a challenging situation. Balancing relationships with both your mother and your spouse can be difficult, but it's essential to find a way to create harmony. Here's some advice on how to handle this situation:

Communication: Open, honest, and empathetic communication is crucial. Sit down with your mother and your spouse separately and discuss the issue. Let them both know how much you care about them and the impact their conflicts are having on your life.
Set Boundaries: Clearly define boundaries with your mother and your spouse. Discuss what is acceptable behavior and what is not. Make it clear that you expect respect and kindness toward one another.
Counseling or Mediation: If direct communication doesn't resolve the issue, consider involving a neutral third party, such as a family therapist or counselor, to mediate the conversation. They can provide guidance and facilitate a constructive dialogue.
Prioritize Your Spouse: Your spouse should be your primary concern when it comes to your immediate family. Make sure your wife knows that you support her and are taking her concerns seriously.
Support Your Mother's Transition: If your mother's actions are rooted in a sense of loss or fear of losing you, reassure her that you still love her and that your relationship with your spouse doesn't diminish your love for her.
Time and Patience: Resolving family conflicts can take time. Be patient and persistent in your efforts to mend the relationships.
Self-Reflection: Reflect on your role in the situation and ensure you are not unintentionally contributing to the conflicts. Sometimes, small changes in your behavior can make a big difference.
Establish Separate Boundaries: If necessary, you might consider setting boundaries that involve keeping your mother and spouse apart if they can't peacefully coexist.
Remember, it's crucial to strike a balance and prioritize your spouse and immediate family. While maintaining a relationship with your mother is important, your marital relationship should come first. Seek professional help if the situation doesn't improve, as a therapist can provide guidance tailored to your specific circumstances.

Relationships Expert, Mind Coach - Answered on Jan 20, 2024

Dear Anu, My son is 17years and has a affinity towards his mother it seems. Whenever i ask any questions about his studies and plans he shouts at me and misbehaves. I have stopped talking to him because of this. I don't know whether he likes me or not. He seems very content with his computer and his friends.. How can i build a relation with him. Also same with my wife. She does not talk to my parents neither to nay of my relatives. I tried on many occasions to make her realize that this is not okay. My Father is 82 and is longing to talk to her and stay with us...I do not know what is the issue with her. I do not abject to anything she does. How can i convince her...
Ans: Dear Trilok,
Why are you so intent on making people be with you or like you? If they don't see value in you, it's their misfortune maybe. This is one line of thought.
Another line of thought could be: Are there other ways of actually connecting with them? You son perhaps may bond better with you over a sport that the two of you can play BUT may connect with his mother over a conversation. Do not expect the same kind of connection...he's your son...rather than complain about what's not happening, how about trying a different approach and make things happen. See what interests him and bond with him on that!
Now with what your wife does...you really must find out what makes her not want to talk to your father. Maybe instead, you can invite your father to stay and encourage a conversation between him and your wife. And please don't form an opinion that just because your wife refuses to talk to your father, your son refuses to talk to you. It's two very different situations...

Stopping to talk to your son or wonder what's wrong with your wife only means that you have managed to externalize the issue and you will soon find reasons to blame them for a failing relationship. Instead assume charge and do what it takes to bond with your family...it works!

Mam i am in relationship for 9 years now..he became my boyfriend when i shifted in my new house he was my neighbour..i was in 10th when i got caught and since then my parents hate my boyfriend , i apologized to my parents then and said to have no contact with my boyfriend but 9 years down the lane ..we are totally connected and living a peaceful healthy relationship..my parents hate my boyfriend and his family to the core..my relationship with ny parents are.mixed someday they will be super nice to me , another day they will abuse me for evn small things..we have ups and down in our relationship but i love them a lott , i want to care of them in their old age..but at this point i want to talk to them about my boyfriend but seeinng that they hate him so much i am literally very very afraid that my parents will hate me to their core knowing about someone i want to marry whoom they hate soo much ..... i don't know how will they react .. i am been through physcial and verbal abuse earlier too but i don't know how much worse it can get this time..for them the girl who marry their parents choice is the best in the world..my boyfriend and i have no caste issue its just the ego issues with my parents they think karrying into that house they will never able to have good enough respect though my mother and his mother talk..but that too my mother bitch a lott about her mother for even nonsensical things..i am 24 now and preparing for government exam ...i am soo much stress knowing i have to choose between my love or my parents.....i think so even if i marry him with their superficail consent they will never be happy woth me..and can even cut contacts with me...i don't know what to do i have no elder in my house to make parents explain...mam plss show me some path
No where have you mentioned what your boyfriend does for a living? Could this be the reason that your parents refuse to acknowledge your relationship?
Parents want the best for their children but at times their own beliefs on love marriages etc can come in the way. Since you are an adult, it is time to actually start acting like one. My suggestion is to have a conversation with them and understand the reason for their refusal to accept your boyfriend. If it is one of society and family objection, then you know how to handle it BUT if their concern is more about his character or his job, you both need to make an effort to take away that concern so that they accept all this wholeheartedly.
Find the reason and things will become clearer as to how you must handle the situation.

Hi gurus I m 38 yrs old nd married for last 6 years. I have one kid. My wife is little poised to toxic and she has a fight with her mom for nearly before 6 months and have not spoken a word also. Her mother is more rigid than her as she never bothered to give a call though she came to know recently that my wife is pregnant. Now comes the main picture - as I m neutral in nature. I tried calling her twice and my wife herself said don't loose your esteem by calling her often as every one in her family knows that she is moore adamant. Now comes the twist now my wife is asking me after 2-3 months that i should stop speaking to my parents and asking me to don't pick the calls from my parents and I too should not talk to them as in some reasons we are also involved in their fight between her nd her mother which is actually not the cent percent reason . Now please tell me what should I do as she checks for the mobile whether i had spoken to my parents or not. Please advise .. i m loosing peace and not able to concentrate at work . Thanks Ravi
Ans: Dear Ravi,
I wonder what is the point of all this ego tussle? Surely your wife needs to grow up in terms of managing relationships.
Now, if she has decided not to talk to her mother, that is between them and hey, you tried to patch things up as well.
What and how you interact with your parents is solely your business; it would have been nice to have your wife's presence in the same BUT the day she puts aside her ego (this needs some checking as to the root cause of why the wall is up), that day things will change.
I assume that you want to continue interacting with your parents; in that case state that to your wife that that is exactly what you wish to do. Be prepared for a backlash from her; she may ignore you or be angry or tell you that you are causing her stress when she is pregnant. This is to let you go on a guilt trip all by yourself with no chance of getting off the rails. DO NOT be guilty for speaking with your parents and instead offer more love and support to your wife.
The focus has been on what not to do to break relationships rather than what must be done to improve relationships. This may also improve the bond between you and your wife which is so needed when she is going to be a mother.
Impress the fact that the unborn child also picks off emotions and that to have a better space of mind will aid the child's growth.

Being surrounded by people who love and care will also ensure a good pregnancy. This could also be a point to make your wife understand that all battles need not be fought and a few can just be at rest so that they can resolve itself.

I am currently 51 and willing to retire at 56.current sips done is 1.33L per month.Started investing in June 2021 and so far invested value is 58 L and market value seen as 77 L..Now i am thinking to increase SIP by additinal 1.4 L per month so will it be good to increase sips for next 5 years .Pl advise.
Ans: Current Investment Analysis
You are investing Rs. 1.33 lakhs per month in SIPs. Since June 2021, your investment of Rs. 58 lakhs has grown to Rs. 77 lakhs. This shows good growth in your portfolio.

Increasing SIPs
You plan to increase your SIPs by Rs. 1.4 lakhs per month for the next 5 years. This will significantly boost your investment corpus. Regular investments in diversified funds can yield good returns over time.

Evaluating Investment Strategy
Increasing SIPs is a good strategy. Ensure you diversify across large cap, midcap, and small cap funds. Actively managed funds can offer better returns than index funds.

Balancing Risk and Returns
As you are nearing retirement, balance your portfolio to manage risk. Consider allocating a portion to debt funds for stability. This ensures safety and steady returns.

Planning for Retirement
With increased SIPs, your retirement corpus will grow substantially. Review your portfolio regularly. Adjust based on market conditions and financial goals.

Insurance and Emergency Fund
Ensure you have adequate life and health insurance. Maintain an emergency fund covering 6-12 months of expenses. This provides financial security for unforeseen events.

Increasing your SIPs by Rs. 1.4 lakhs per month is a good strategy. Ensure diversification and balance risk. Regular reviews and adjustments will help you achieve your retirement goals.

Hello sir, I am 44 year old male, working abroad, but here job security is not guaranteed. I can allocate Rs.50k monthly for MF or SIP investment. I feel ashamed to tell you this, that without consulting I had already invested in:- 1) Nippon India Growth Fund direct growth 50k 2) JM aggressive hybrid fund direct growth 50k 3) ICICI prudential balanced adv dire growth 50k 4) Quant mid cap fund direct growth 50k SIP's - 2500 per month 1) Nippon India multi cap Fund direct growth 2) SBI PSU direct plan growth 3) Quant small cap fund direct plan growth 4) ICICI prudential BHARAT 22 FOF direct growth Sir, Please advise whether this above plan is okay to continue or not also, please advise how to go ahead with 50k monthly allocation for investments. Benign regards Vinu George
Ans: Current Investments Review
Your current investments include:

Nippon India Growth Fund direct growth: Rs. 50k
JM Aggressive Hybrid Fund direct growth: Rs. 50k
ICICI Prudential Balanced Adv direct growth: Rs. 50k
Quant Mid Cap Fund direct growth: Rs. 50k
SIPs of Rs. 2,500 per month in:

Nippon India Multi Cap Fund direct growth
SBI PSU direct plan growth
Quant Small Cap Fund direct plan growth
ICICI Prudential BHARAT 22 FOF direct growth
Assessment of Current Investments
Direct funds can be beneficial due to lower costs, but managing them without professional guidance can be challenging.

Expert Management: Actively managed funds have professional fund managers.
Better Returns: They can outperform index funds due to active management.
Flexibility: Fund managers can adjust portfolios based on market conditions.
Lack of Guidance: Investing in direct funds without a Certified Financial Planner can lead to suboptimal decisions.
Time-Consuming: Monitoring and managing these funds requires time and expertise.
Suggested Portfolio Allocation
To maximize returns and manage risk, consider the following:

Equity Funds
Allocate 60% to equity funds: These funds offer high growth potential. They are ideal for long-term goals like retirement.
Debt Funds
Allocate 30% to debt funds: Debt funds provide stability and reduce overall portfolio risk.
Diversified Funds
Allocate 10% to diversified funds: These funds invest across various sectors, balancing risk and returns.
Monthly Allocation Plan
You can invest Rs. 50k monthly. Here’s a suggested allocation:

Equity SIPs: Rs. 30k in a mix of large-cap, mid-cap, and multi-cap funds.
Debt SIPs: Rs. 15k in high-quality debt funds.
Diversified SIPs: Rs. 5k in diversified funds.
Seek advice from a Certified Financial Planner. They can help you:

Optimize Your Portfolio: Ensure a balanced and diversified portfolio.
Regular Reviews: Regularly review and adjust your investments based on performance and goals.
Your current investments need optimization. Focus on actively managed funds for better returns. Diversify your portfolio with a mix of equity, debt, and diversified funds. Consult a Certified Financial Planner for tailored advice.

Sir, My age is 40. I have a family with Mom, Dad, 2 daughters aged 13 years and my wife. I am the only source for income in my family. I am a business person and average monthly profit is approx 2 to 3 lakhs. There are lots of ups and downs in the business and profits are not consistant. So I am doing daily SIP of 5000 in HDFC Top 100 growth. Till date the MF is approx 9 lakhs. I have purchased a flat of Rs 1cr. With an home loan of 40 lakhs. Current EMI is 35000, tenure 20 years started last year. I have taken 2 health insurance policies, one for my mom and dad and another for us. Total yearly premium is 1.25 lakhs. My monthly expenses are approx 1.5 lakhs. I am bit worried about Daughters higher education as they wish to pursue MBBS. Secondly I need to save for my retirement. I wish to retire at 55. Please suggest if I am on right track or I need to change my investment patterns?
Ans: Current Financial Overview

You have a monthly profit of Rs 2-3 lakhs from your business, but it fluctuates. You have a daily SIP of Rs 5000 in HDFC Top 100 growth, amounting to Rs 9 lakhs till now. You have a home loan of Rs 40 lakhs with an EMI of Rs 35,000 for 20 years. Your monthly expenses are around Rs 1.5 lakhs, and you have two health insurance policies with a total annual premium of Rs 1.25 lakhs.

Goals and Concerns

Daughters' Higher Education: Both daughters wish to pursue MBBS.
Retirement Planning: Aim to retire at age 55.
Education Planning

Estimate Costs: MBBS education can be expensive. Estimate the total cost considering tuition, books, and other expenses.

Dedicated Education Fund: Start a dedicated SIP for your daughters’ education. Consider a combination of equity and debt mutual funds for stability and growth.

Current Investments: Your daily SIP in HDFC Top 100 growth is a good start. Continue this but also diversify.

Additional Investments: Consider starting SIPs in a mix of large-cap, mid-cap, and multi-cap funds. This will balance risk and growth.

Retirement Fund: Calculate the corpus needed for retirement at age 55. Factor in your lifestyle, inflation, and life expectancy.

Health Insurance: Your existing health insurance for your parents and family is crucial. Ensure coverage is adequate for medical emergencies.

Term Insurance: Consider taking a term insurance plan to cover your family’s financial needs in case of any unforeseen event.

Home Loan: Your EMI of Rs 35,000 is manageable given your income. Try to prepay whenever you have extra funds. This will reduce the loan tenure and interest burden.

Build an Emergency Fund: Keep at least 6-12 months of expenses in a liquid fund or savings account. This will help during business downturns.

Your current investments and insurance coverage are good, but diversification and dedicated funds for education and retirement will strengthen your financial plan.

I am a Nri based in Singapore age 31 sole earner of my family of 3. In Inr my income is 63 lakhs and I want to invest money to save for my daughter who is 3 months old right now and also for my retirement. Below is my portfolio- 29k sip - 2.90 lkh invested 1.13 lkh profit Stocks- 2.7 lkhs invested 3.12 lkh profit Small case- 19k invested 5k profit Nps - 1 lkh invested - 90k profit One 2- bedroom flat in udaipur no loan bought for 35 lkh No loan no credit card 49 lkh in saving in Singapore. Health insurance in Singapore by company Ppf- 12 lkh Able to save 4000 sgd monthly after rent; grocery etc. How much more should i invest or should just continue with above? Sip - 5k canara robecca emerging equities growth large and mid cap. 3k Nippon india small cap. 1k Canara robecca elss tax saver fund. 10k Quant elss tax saver and 10k hdfc defence fund growth equity sectoral
Ans: You have a well-diversified portfolio, which is a strong foundation. Here's a detailed look at your investments:

SIPs: Rs. 29k invested with Rs. 1.13 lakh profit.
Stocks: Rs. 2.7 lakh invested with Rs. 3.12 lakh profit.
Smallcase: Rs. 19k invested with Rs. 5k profit.
NPS: Rs. 1 lakh invested with Rs. 90k profit.
Flat in Udaipur: Bought for Rs. 35 lakh, no loan.
Savings in Singapore: Rs. 49 lakh.
PPF: Rs. 12 lakh.
SIPs: 5k in Canara Robeco Emerging Equities Growth Large and Mid Cap, 3k in Nippon India Small Cap, 1k in Canara Robeco ELSS Tax Saver Fund, 10k in Quant ELSS Tax Saver, 10k in HDFC Defence Fund Growth Equity Sectoral.
Your investments are diverse, including equity, real estate, and fixed income. This diversification reduces risk and ensures stability.

Investment Strategy for Daughter's Education
To secure your daughter's future, start a dedicated education fund:

Equity Mutual Funds: Equity funds are ideal for long-term growth. They can offer high returns over 15-20 years, which aligns with your daughter's education timeline.
SIPs for Education Fund: Start an SIP specifically for her education. Consider allocating a portion of your monthly savings to this SIP.
Review and Adjust: Regularly review the fund's performance and adjust contributions if needed.
Your current investments are strong, but there's always room for enhancement:

Continue Current Investments: Your existing SIPs, stocks, and other investments are performing well. Continue these.
Diversify Further: Include a mix of equity and debt funds. Equity funds can provide growth, while debt funds add stability.
Increase SIP Amounts: Gradually increase your SIP contributions as your income grows. This will help in compounding your returns.
Equity and Debt Balance: Maintain a balance between equity and debt funds to manage risk and ensure steady growth.
Monthly Savings Allocation
You save 4000 SGD monthly (approximately Rs. 2.4 lakhs). Here's a suggested allocation:

Increase SIPs: Allocate a portion to increase your SIP contributions in the existing funds.
Diversified Mutual Funds: Invest in additional diversified mutual funds to spread risk and enhance returns.
Debt Funds: Allocate a part to debt funds for stability and lower risk.
It's crucial to seek advice from a Certified Financial Planner:

Regular Consultation: Schedule regular reviews with your planner to assess your portfolio and make necessary adjustments.
Goal Setting and Tracking: Clearly define your goals (daughter’s education and retirement) and track your progress.
Your portfolio is well-structured, but consider the following to optimize your investments:

Increase SIPs: Gradually increase your SIP contributions for higher returns.
Focus on Equity Funds: Prioritize equity funds for long-term goals like your daughter's education and your retirement.
Diversification and Balance: Ensure a balanced mix of equity and debt funds to manage risk.
Regular Reviews: Keep reviewing your portfolio with a Certified Financial Planner to stay on track with your goals.

I'm 27 years old and married with 1 daughter (age 1 month) and from last 2 year I'm doing sip on 4 equity MF with 14k ( 5 on small cap, 5 midcap, 3 large cap, 1 flexicap), and holding stocks worth 4 lac, now I'm planning to invest more 5k in large & midcap, midcap 3k and small cap 3k, and quarterly 30k on sovereign gold bonds. My investment time frame is 10 year and I want to retire at 40 age. Please suggest me if any changes required or not.
Ans: Current Investment Strategy
You are investing in equity mutual funds and stocks. Your monthly SIPs total Rs. 14,000. You plan to add Rs. 11,000 more in various mutual funds and Rs. 30,000 quarterly in sovereign gold bonds.

Assessing Your Investment Mix
Your portfolio is well-diversified across small cap, midcap, large cap, and flexicap funds. This diversification balances risk and potential returns.

Adding More Investments
Adding more to large & midcap, midcap, and small cap funds is good. It aligns with your long-term goals. Sovereign gold bonds add stability and diversification.

You plan to retire at 40, giving you a 13-year investment horizon. This requires a substantial corpus. Ensure your savings are aggressive yet balanced. Regularly review and adjust your portfolio.

Insurance and Emergency Fund
Ensure you have adequate life and health insurance. This protects your family. Maintain an emergency fund covering 6-12 months of expenses.

Your investment strategy is sound and diversified. Continue with disciplined investments. Regularly review and adjust based on market conditions and goals.

Hi there, I am 34 yr old, new in market. Never invested in any mutual funds or anything. Can you guide me whats best option for me right now in terms of mutual funds, stocks, bonds, Etfs etc. Looking for ling term investment. Thanks in advance!!
Ans: As a 34-year-old new investor, you have the advantage of a long investment horizon, which allows you to benefit from compounding. Here's a guide to help you get started.

Investment Options

1. Mutual Funds

Equity Mutual Funds: Suitable for long-term growth. Invests in stocks and provides diversification. Ideal for those looking to build wealth over time.

Debt Mutual Funds: Safer option, invests in bonds and government securities. Provides regular income and stability.

Hybrid Mutual Funds: Combines equity and debt. Balanced approach to growth and stability.

2. Stocks

Direct Stock Investment: Invest in individual companies. Requires research and monitoring. Potential for high returns but comes with higher risk.
3. Bonds

Government Bonds: Safe and secure. Provides fixed returns over time. Suitable for conservative investors.

Corporate Bonds: Higher returns than government bonds but come with higher risk.

4. Exchange-Traded Funds (ETFs)

ETFs: Trades like a stock but holds a diversified portfolio. Offers exposure to a wide range of assets with lower fees.

1. Define Your Goals

Long-Term Goals: Retirement, children's education, buying a house. Helps in choosing the right mix of assets.
2. Assess Your Risk Appetite

High Risk Tolerance: Can invest more in equity mutual funds and stocks.
Moderate Risk Tolerance: Balance between equity and debt funds.
Low Risk Tolerance: Focus more on debt funds and bonds.
3. Diversify Your Portfolio

Diversification: Spread investments across different asset classes. Reduces risk and enhances returns.
4. Start with Systematic Investment Plans (SIPs)

SIPs: Invest a fixed amount regularly in mutual funds. Disciplined approach and benefits from rupee cost averaging.
5. Review and Rebalance

Regular Reviews: Monitor your investments periodically.
Rebalancing: Adjust your portfolio based on performance and changing goals.
Recommended Approach

For a Balanced Portfolio:

Equity Mutual Funds: 60% of your portfolio. Choose a mix of large-cap, mid-cap, and small-cap funds.
Debt Mutual Funds: 20% of your portfolio. Provides stability and income.
Bonds: 10% of your portfolio. Safe and secure returns.
ETFs: 10% of your portfolio. Diversified and low-cost option.

Starting your investment journey with a mix of mutual funds, bonds, and ETFs can provide a balanced approach to growth and stability. Regularly review your investments and adjust as needed to stay aligned with your goals.

Investment Options

1. Mutual Funds

2. Stocks

3. Bonds

4. Exchange-Traded Funds (ETFs)

1. Define Your Goals

2. Assess Your Risk Appetite

3. Diversify Your Portfolio

5. Review and Rebalance

Recommended Approach

For a Balanced Portfolio:

Sir,my aim was to study cse, now I have got electrical and computer in Thapar which costs around 5.4lakhs pa, amrita amaravati campus cse which costs around 3lakhs pa tuition fees, so it will go around 4-4.5 pa(including everything), and IEM in Kolkata IT branch which will cost around 7-8lakhs for 4years. Sir please guide me, money is not that much of a factor but I don't want to use my father's hard earned money, and would like to take a loan if the budget goes over 10lakhs. Sir please help me out as I am confused. Thank you.
Ans: Evaluating Your Options

You have three educational options:

Electrical and Computer Engineering at Thapar Institute.
Computer Science Engineering at Amrita Amaravati.
Information Technology at IEM Kolkata.
Let’s break down the financial aspects of each option to help you make an informed decision.

Cost Analysis

Thapar Institute:

Annual Cost: Rs 5.4 lakhs
Total for Four Years: Rs 21.6 lakhs
Amrita Amaravati:

Annual Tuition Fee: Rs 3 lakhs
Total for Four Years (including other expenses): Rs 12-15 lakhs
IEM Kolkata:

Total for Four Years: Rs 7-8 lakhs
Budgeting Considerations

Thapar Institute:

High Cost: The total cost of Rs 21.6 lakhs is significant.
Loan Requirement: Given the high cost, you might need to take a substantial loan, especially if the budget exceeds Rs 10 lakhs.
Amrita Amaravati:

Moderate Cost: Total cost is around Rs 12-15 lakhs, more manageable.
Potential Loan: You might need a smaller loan, making repayment easier.
IEM Kolkata:

Low Cost: Total cost is the most economical at Rs 7-8 lakhs.
Minimal Loan: If at all required, the loan amount would be minimal.
Personal Finance Impact

Parental Contribution vs. Loan

Thapar Institute: Requires a significant financial outlay or loan, impacting your family's finances. If a loan is taken, ensure that the interest rates and repayment terms are favorable.

Amrita Amaravati: More balanced in terms of cost. You might need a smaller loan, which would be easier to manage and repay.

IEM Kolkata: Least financial burden. If you prefer to minimize your family's financial stress, this is the best option.

Long-term Financial Planning

Return on Investment (ROI)

Thapar Institute: High ROI potential due to its strong reputation and placement record. However, the high initial cost needs to be justified by future earnings.

Amrita Amaravati: Good ROI with moderate costs. As it aligns with your preferred field (CSE), it offers a balanced investment with potentially good returns.

IEM Kolkata: Economical with good placement opportunities. Offers a favorable ROI with the least financial burden.

Loan Repayment

Thapar Institute: Higher loan amount means higher EMIs. Ensure you have a clear repayment plan based on your expected starting salary.

Amrita Amaravati: Moderate loan amount results in manageable EMIs. Easier to handle with a decent starting salary.

IEM Kolkata: Minimal loan requirement, if any. Loan repayment will be the least stressful.

Emergency Fund and Savings

Regardless of your choice, maintain an emergency fund for unforeseen expenses.

Plan to save a portion of your income post-graduation to build a financial cushion.

From a personal finance and budgeting perspective:

Amrita Amaravati strikes a balance between cost and your preferred field, making it a prudent choice with manageable financial implications.

Thapar Institute is a significant investment with potentially high returns but requires careful financial planning due to the higher costs involved.

IEM Kolkata offers the least financial strain and is a good option if minimizing costs is a priority.

Hi, I am 40 years old, stay with wife , no kids. My monthly take home salary is 1,00,000. I have yearly contributions towards Tax saver mutual funds of 1,20,000. PPF of 30,000 and NPS of 50,000. Investment towards non tax saver mutual funds of 36,000 for last 3 years. 23,000 is my rent and 50,000 is my monthly family expense. I have a house in my native where my mother stay with approx valuation of 50L. Wife has a plot in her native which is priced 1Cr as of today. Please suggest what should be my retirement corpus and how to achieve the same.
Ans: You have a monthly take-home salary of Rs. 1,00,000. Your annual investments are:

Tax Saver Mutual Funds: Rs. 1,20,000
PPF: Rs. 30,000
NPS: Rs. 50,000
Non-Tax Saver Mutual Funds: Rs. 36,000
Your monthly expenses are:

Rent: Rs. 23,000
Family Expenses: Rs. 50,000
Evaluating Existing Investments
Your current investments in tax saver and non-tax saver mutual funds, PPF, and NPS are good. These will help build your retirement corpus over time.

Estimating Retirement Corpus
Assume you plan to retire at 60 and live till 85. You need a retirement corpus to cover 25 years. Considering inflation and current expenses, your retirement corpus should be substantial.

Steps to Achieve Retirement Corpus
Increase Monthly Savings: You have Rs. 27,000 left after expenses. Allocate this to your retirement savings.

Diversify Investments: Continue investing in mutual funds and NPS. Consider increasing your SIP amounts gradually.

Review and Adjust Investments: Regularly review your portfolio. Adjust based on market conditions and financial goals.

Consider Health Insurance: Ensure you have adequate health insurance. This protects your savings from medical emergencies.

Emergency Fund: Maintain an emergency fund. This should cover 6-12 months of expenses.

Property Valuation
Your house and wife's plot are significant assets. Though not recommended for real estate investment, they provide financial security.

You are on the right track with diversified investments. Increase your savings, review regularly, and ensure you are covered for emergencies. This will help you achieve a secure retirement.