Hi Anu, I'm married since 5 years now and having loving In-Laws who are financially very well to do. My husband and I earn very less as compared to my in-laws, with whom we stay. My husband is 37 years old and earns 47000 INR a month, out of which he saves 35000 INR (in-laws have told him not to spend on house expense, but instead save). The rest 12000 INR he has for himself. I am also working and all my earning is with me. The problem is that he usually ends up spending almost all of the 12K. This angers me as I feel he should focus on saving as much as possible from that. We have an understanding among us that the expense for enjoyment will be borne by me as his major chunk is being saved for "Our" future. Am I wrong to be upset with his spending?

Are you wrong to be upset?
NO and YES...
NO; as you feel wronged that you are the one spending on enjoyment, so where does he spend 12K?
YES; as you have not conveyed it to him or the two of you have not spoken about it earlier. Have you discussed that he must save the 12K?
So, the key to any solid marriage is COMMUNICATION...Communicating your needs, wants, desires, values and aligning them to make the marriage work looking at the larger picture.

Simply have a frank conversation. For all you know, he may just understand where you are coming from; BUT if he wants to spend SOME OF his hard earned money on himself his way, kindly let it be. It's the pride of a man to be able to earn and spend without asking for anyone's permission. Do respect that...

Dear Maam, I am a 45 year old married woman. (Married for last 10 years). We do not have any children as yet. My husband was employed at the time of marriage, however, he quit his job within a couple of months of marriage and has remained unemployed since then. His mother, my MIL happily supports him in this matter and keeps treating him like a 10 year old boy. Since my husband has no source of income, he keeps festering me for money to buy all sorts of things and becomes irritated and angry and doesn't speak to me for days when I refuse to give him any money. We do not have a single joint bank account and I am afraid to share my bank account details with him as he will insist on the Debit Card and spend all my hard earned money. I have tried speaking to him about his employment status and have told him clearly that amount of salary is not important, but instead he should be gainfully occupied instead of watching movies with his parents all day long. Another irritating habit of his is to watch his car five - six times a day. People taunt him for his joblessness and his obsession over his car. (Maintenance money is also paid by me). His parents are 100% in his favor and told me many times that they have raised their boy nicely and that I shouldn't tell him how to live. I don't remember the last time I have been physical with him. Must have been 5-6 years back atleast. I am fed up completely and dont know how to put some sense in him.
You have married a man who refuses to grow up. And to top it all, his parents get a kick out of him behaving like a child. Maybe it eases their guilt of being better parents to him than they were when he was much younger. Whatever it is, please think for yourself if you want to raise a child instead of living with a man who is your husband. He shows no signs of wanting to take responsibility and be an adult here.
So, what exactly are you supporting this man for?
Why are you allowing him to live off your money?
What makes you reinforce his tantrums by being a child?
What more needs to happen for you to see that your marriage is in shambles?

Either take him to a professional who can help him sort out his challenges OR if that does not work, think about your life and make solid decisions in your favor.
You are financially independent and even after 10 years of marriage, if you are still squabbling over a husband who is a child, you know how you can lead a better life.
So, try talking him into going to see a professional first...

I am a 45 years old Indian living in the US for the past 10 years with the family. Despite having a steady job and a pay which typically is considered high, I end up spending more than my income. My wife also works full time with good pay as well but she thinks it's my responsibility to provide and she just saves all her money in her own accounts. We have multiple properties on both our names including cars but only I pay. I pay for groceries, bills, travel everything. On discussing about the expenses, which I have done multiple times so far, she says I should be ashamed to expect money from a woman. If this continues, I will reach retirement age kind of broke I feel. Also, I will spend sleepless nights thinking about finances until then. Please advice.
Like in any partnership, marriage is one such partnership where everything is usually shared. But I do know of couples, where they mutually agree that one partner takes care of the bills and the other education etc.
In your case, your wife has been saving up and you have been bleeding dry of your finances.
But why exactly are you spending more than your income? Financial mismanagement? Maybe that's why your wife is worried that it might happen to her portion of the income too?
Having said that, I guess your wife also needs to move past the belief that the Man is solely responsible for bringing money home. By that logic, she should never have worked, right?

Since she is working as well, she can contribute towards the family to the extent it can help but it is also imperative that as a woman she keeps some finances saved as a back-up for herself. It provides a good safety blanket for a woman since she possibly feels that you are spending more than what you earn.
It's up to you to bring about the subject without her feeling that you are out to spend all her money. So, you really need to start with managing your finances better...I am sure things will get better from thereon...

Dear Sir, I am married for 10 years and are blessed with a daughter. My wife is very supportive, and we both are working middle class professionals. We usually take our parents along with us whenever we go for any vacation. My mother-in-law and my parents love travelling and openly inform me if they are disinterested in visiting any place. The issue is with my father-in-law. My father-in-law is 80 years and working full time and keeps himself occupied. He is healthy and can walk around easily considering his age. We have visited many places together (both locally and domestic travel) and whenever I ask my father-in-law about his feedback about the place visited/activity performed, he often tells me that he is not interested in any of the activities/places visited and prefers sitting in one place. This really bothers me as to the reason for my father-in-law accompany us and instead, send only his wife would have travelled with us. My mother-in-law is also fine travelling without him. My father-in-law could have simply sat at home or perform his office duties. There is always a cost factor incurred for flight or train travel/stay in a hotel/food/local travel whenever we visit any place, and we could have saved lakhs of rupees if my father-in-law had not visited any of the places. I discussed this with my wife who informed that she feels happy taking her parents and we should not discuss the issue with my father-in-law openly as it will hurt him. If my father-in-law was genuinely interested, I would not have minded spending money, but because of his negative feedback, I feel we could have rather invested the saved money for future use. Please advise.
Ans: It's understandable that you're concerned about the cost incurred for family trips, especially when your father-in-law doesn't seem as interested in the activities. Balancing family dynamics and expectations can be challenging.While your wife has advised against discussing the issue with your father-in-law openly, it might be helpful to have a gentle and respectful conversation with him. Express your concerns about the costs involved and inquire about his preferences for future family trips. Understanding his perspective may provide clarity on whether he genuinely enjoys the travel or if there's an alternative arrangement that could work better for everyoneIf your father-in-law prefers staying in one place, consider suggesting alternatives that may still allow him to be a part of family vacations without compromising his comfort. For example, you could plan trips to destinations with more relaxed environments or activities that cater to his interests. This way, everyone's preferences can be accommodated to some extent. Discuss with your wife the importance of budgeting for family vacations. Consider setting aside specific funds for travel and allocate them wisely to maximize enjoyment for everyone involved. This may involve finding a balance between accommodating your father-in-law's preferences and exploring new destinations or activities that the rest of the family enjoys Ultimately, finding a solution that works for everyone may require compromise and understanding each family member's needs and preferences. Open communication and flexibility can go a long way in navigating these dynamics and ensuring that family time is enjoyable for everyone involved.

Dating, Relationships Expert - Answered on May 22, 2024

I am a working women, i have to take care of my parents expenses and also take care of my expenses , i have a child 8 years old, my husband is not supporting me financially, he just spend most of his money for his wants, and no savings so far even after 15 years of marriage, how to make him understand about savings i have quarreled many times on this but no use, i feel like to go away from him, kindly suggest

I am very sorry about your situation. It sounds stressful and you have every right to be worried. Here are a few ways to sort this out:

The first and the most obvious one- communication. I am sure that you have communicated your concerns to your husband but let's give it another try and this time, make sure it's non-confrontational. For instance, just casually mention the financial burden that is on you without assigning any blame to him. Try "I" statements instead of "You." He might come to a realization that he needs to put in more effort to relieve you of your burdens. Try mentioning some shared goals that you won't achieve if you don't join your finances and share the responsibilities. Next, tell him that you both should start tracking your expenditures and set a budget at the beginning of every month. Try a more practical approach. Set up monthly deposit schemes that would automatically deduct the money from your accounts. Last but not least, seek support from a trusted family member or close friend. While they might not be able to give you any concrete solution, sharing your woes can make you feel lighter.

Dear Anu, I am married for 28 yrs. Throughout my marriage, I have felt very insecure about money. I have always tried to be independent but my husband had discouraged it. So though I earned, it wasn't much. It was enough as my pocket money, or maybe a bit more. Then when I was 46yrs old, and my husband 60, he started saying that he could no longer earn and I had to support myself. At first I was shocked and devastated, but gradually i accepted and started working hard. He also started living separately and comes home for 2-3 days, every week. I have stopped needing him emotionally and financially. But he is very inconsistent with his finances, which brings back my earlier insecurity. Also he doesn't practice what he says. Suppose we plan something and I expect that to happen, but then I find he doesn't do it. I feel very cheated. For example, we decided to rent out our garage, and he said that I could pay the electricity bill of our house with that. But then , when we get a tenant, he takes away the money. This is just a small example. Many other , big things have happened . Because of this, I feel frustrated and very dissatisfied with the relationship. But outwardly, we are a happy family. I have a son of 27yrs also. I have tried talking to him about it, but he avoids it. Inspite of telling him time and again to find something to do he refuses it. His career was also very inconsistent, and a very long story. How do I deal with him? Should I leave? I don't want to. But I really don't know what to do.
Ans: I hear the deep frustration and sense of betrayal you're experiencing. Navigating a relationship where financial security and trust are consistently undermined is incredibly challenging, especially after 28 years of marriage. Your feelings are valid, and it’s important to address them thoughtfully.

Firstly, it’s crucial to recognize and validate your own strength and resilience. Despite the obstacles, you've managed to become self-reliant and support yourself financially. This is a significant achievement and speaks to your capability and determination.

Your husband's inconsistent behavior and financial unreliability are understandably distressing. It seems that his actions have repeatedly undermined your sense of security and trust, which are foundational to any relationship. The pattern of him not following through on agreed plans, such as the example of renting out the garage, erodes trust and contributes to your frustration.

Given that he avoids discussions about these issues, it might be helpful to approach the conversation differently. Choose a calm, neutral time to express your feelings clearly and directly, focusing on how his actions impact you emotionally and financially. Use “I” statements, such as “I feel insecure and frustrated when our financial agreements are not honored,” to avoid making him feel defensive.

If he continues to avoid these conversations, consider involving a neutral third party, such as a marriage counselor. A professional can facilitate healthier communication and help both of you understand each other's perspectives better.

However, it’s also essential to evaluate your own needs and boundaries. Reflect on what you need to feel secure and fulfilled in the relationship. If these needs continue to be unmet despite your efforts to communicate and resolve the issues, you might need to consider more significant changes.

Leaving a long-term marriage is a profound decision and one that requires careful thought. You’ve mentioned that you don’t want to leave, and it’s important to explore all avenues before making such a decision. However, your well-being and happiness are paramount.

If your husband remains unwilling to change or address your concerns, you may need to create boundaries that protect your financial and emotional health. This could involve having separate finances or setting clear terms for financial decisions and responsibilities.

Ultimately, the goal is to ensure that you feel secure, respected, and valued in your relationship. It's a challenging path, but with clear communication, professional support, and self-reflection, you can navigate this difficult situation and find a resolution that honors your needs and well-being.

Hi I am currently 30 years of age and I would like to ask about an investment where I'm going to make on a flat purchase of 46 Lacs with down payment of 16 Lacs along with a loan of 30 Lacs with a current salary of 50050 rupees per month... So I would like to know the loan tenure would be best suited for me to manage my savings for the future along with my daily expenditure?
Ans: Investment Strategy for Flat Purchase
Purchasing a flat can be a significant financial decision. As a Certified Financial Planner, I appreciate your initiative in seeking advice.

Assessing Your Financial Situation
You have a salary of Rs. 50,050 per month. Your down payment is Rs. 16 lakhs. You plan to take a loan of Rs. 30 lakhs. It's crucial to balance your loan repayment with your daily expenses and savings.

Evaluating Loan Tenure
For your situation, a longer loan tenure can lower your EMI. This means more manageable monthly payments. However, this will increase the total interest paid over the loan period. A shorter loan tenure will result in higher EMIs but lower total interest.

Balancing Savings and Expenses
With your monthly salary, aim to keep your EMIs around 30-40% of your income. This ensures you have enough for daily expenses and savings. For a loan of Rs. 30 lakhs, consider a tenure of 20 years. This will make your EMIs more affordable.

Planning for Future Savings
Allocate funds for emergency savings, retirement planning, and other goals. Ensure you have at least six months of expenses saved for emergencies. Regularly review and adjust your financial plan.

Balancing a home loan with savings and expenses requires careful planning. Choose a loan tenure that suits your monthly cash flow. Keep your long-term financial goals in mind.

Hi sir, I am aging 37 years. I have built house in my native and its present value is Rs 45 lakh. With housing loan of Rs 9 lakh and getting only 6k rent. As I am working in corporate company in Blore. And no plans to go back to my native for next 10 years. So plz guide me shall i sell this house and invest elsewhere. If yes. Plz guide me which is the best option for long term means for next 10 years investment. Thank u .
Ans: Current Situation Analysis

Your house in your native place is valued at Rs 45 lakh, with a housing loan of Rs 9 lakh. The rental income of Rs 6,000 per month may not be sufficient to justify holding the property if you are not planning to return in the next 10 years.

Evaluating the Options

Selling the House: Pros and Cons

Pros:

You can clear the housing loan of Rs 9 lakh.

You can invest the proceeds in higher-return assets.

Eliminates the hassle of managing a rental property.

Cons:

You may lose potential appreciation in property value.

Emotional attachment to the property.

Investment Options for Long Term

1. Mutual Funds:

Equity Mutual Funds: Suitable for long-term growth. Diversify across sectors and companies.

Hybrid Mutual Funds: Mix of equity and debt. Provides balanced growth with some stability.

2. Public Provident Fund (PPF):

Safe and tax-efficient.

Offers decent returns over the long term.

3. Systematic Investment Plans (SIPs):

Regular, disciplined investment in mutual funds.

Beneficial for averaging out market volatility.

4. Debt Mutual Funds:

For stability and regular income.

Less risky compared to equity mutual funds.

Selling the house and clearing the loan can free up capital for more productive investments. Diversifying into mutual funds, PPF, and SIPs can provide balanced growth and stability over the next 10 years.

I am earning 1.2 lakh per month. Age 29 unmarried, Money for marriage is adjusted.I have a house and planning to buy another one probably 1cr . An lic policy of yearly premium of 25k. My savings are 5 lakhs. As of now I can invest 40k per month. I want liquid corpus of 1cr by age 50 and children education planning.
Ans: Monthly Income and Savings
You earn Rs. 1.2 lakh per month.

You save Rs. 40,000 per month.

You have Rs. 5 lakhs in savings.

Your LIC policy has a yearly premium of Rs. 25,000.

Investment Goals
You want Rs. 1 crore by age 50.

You plan for your children's education.

You plan to buy a house worth Rs. 1 crore.

Invest in a mix of equity and debt funds.

Focus on actively managed funds for better returns.

Consider SIPs for regular investments.

Liquid Corpus Goal
Aim for a diversified portfolio.

Allocate funds to equity for growth.

Include debt funds for stability.

Children's Education Planning
Start early to benefit from compounding.

Invest in children's plans and education funds.

Review and adjust the portfolio regularly.

House Purchase Plan
Ensure your investments align with your house purchase goal.

Keep your house purchase timeline in mind.

Insurance and Savings
Review your LIC policy for adequacy.

Consider additional term insurance if needed.

A Certified Financial Planner can help optimize your plan.

Regularly review your portfolio with your planner.

Maintain a disciplined investment approach.

Regularly review and adjust your goals.

Seek professional advice when needed.

Dear Sir/Madam i have an savings of 1.22CR i have invested in MF and some amount in FD also, want to ask you is it better to invest in FD as i am retiring next year by April thanks.
Ans: Evaluation of Current Investments

Your current savings of Rs 1.22 crore is commendable. Having investments in mutual funds and fixed deposits shows a balanced approach.

However, evaluating the need for fixed deposits is crucial. Fixed deposits offer safety but low returns compared to mutual funds. Since you are retiring soon, it is essential to assess the balance between safety and growth.

Fixed Deposits: Pros and Cons

Pros:

Fixed deposits provide guaranteed returns.

They are safe and secure investments.

Liquidity is available but may come with penalties.

Cons:

Returns are lower compared to mutual funds.

Interest earned is taxable.

Inflation can erode the real value of returns.

Mutual Funds: Pros and Cons

Pros:

Potential for higher returns compared to fixed deposits.

Diversified investments reduce risk.

Flexibility to choose funds based on risk appetite and goals.

Cons:

Returns are market-linked and can fluctuate.

Requires regular monitoring.

May involve higher costs if not chosen wisely.

Assessing Your Needs

Given your retirement plan next year, stability and income generation become essential. Fixed deposits provide stability, but mutual funds can offer growth. A mix of both can provide balance.

Strategy for Retirement

Consider maintaining a portion in fixed deposits for safety. This portion can cover short-term needs. The rest can remain in mutual funds for growth. This strategy ensures a balance between safety and potential returns.

Your proactive approach is commendable. Maintaining safety with fixed deposits and growth with mutual funds can serve you well. Regular reviews with a Certified Financial Planner can ensure alignment with your goals.

I am a retired Central Government officer. I have 2.75 crores FD’s, saving accounts 75 lakhs, 10 lakhs gold, SIP 25k per month. I get pension of 60k a month and my children give me 60k towards loan advanced to them. My monthly expenses are Rs. 1 to 1.25 lakhs. Am I comfortable?
Ans: Financial Assessment

Your current financial position is strong. Here’s a breakdown:

Fixed Deposits (FDs): Rs 2.75 crores

Savings Accounts: Rs 75 lakhs

Gold: Rs 10 lakhs

SIP: Rs 25,000 per month

Pension Income: Rs 60,000 per month

Children's Contribution: Rs 60,000 per month

Monthly Expenses: Rs 1 to 1.25 lakhs

Income and Expenses Analysis

Monthly Income:
Pension: Rs 60,000

Children’s Contribution: Rs 60,000

Total Monthly Income: Rs 1,20,000

Monthly Expenses:
Range: Rs 1,00,000 to Rs 1,25,000

Surplus and Comfort Level

Monthly Surplus:
Minimum Surplus: Rs 1,20,000 - Rs 1,25,000 = (-Rs 5,000)

Maximum Surplus: Rs 1,20,000 - Rs 1,00,000 = Rs 20,000

Investment Income:
Interest from FDs and savings can supplement your income.

Financial Security

Fixed Deposits:
Provide a stable income through interest. Ensure to reinvest the interest income.

Savings Accounts:
Keep a portion for liquidity and emergencies. Consider transferring excess funds to higher-yielding investments.

Gold:
Acts as a hedge against inflation. No need for additional gold investments.

SIP and Future Planning

Systematic Investment Plan (SIP):
Continue SIP for growth. Consider diversifying into balanced or debt funds for stability.

Maintain an emergency fund of 6-12 months’ expenses in liquid assets.

Your current financial situation is comfortable. Your monthly income meets your expenses, and you have substantial savings and investments. Continue SIP and review your portfolio annually. Ensure a portion of your savings is liquid for emergencies.

I am 26 years old, earning around 70k per month. I have 25 lakhs flat from my parents but they have no earning. so I want to buy a flat worth 50 lakhs at least and a car as well as build an emergency fund. I want to do everything before I turn 30 so that I can get married. How shall I plan all these?
Ans: Current Financial Overview
Age: 26 years old
Monthly Income: Rs. 70,000
Assets: Rs. 25 lakhs flat from parents
Parents' Earnings: None
Goals Before Age 30
Buy a flat worth Rs. 50 lakhs
Buy a car
Build an emergency fund
Prepare for marriage
Financial Planning Strategy
Recommendation: Start by building an emergency fund.

Amount: 6 months of expenses (approximately Rs. 3-4 lakhs)

Investment: Put this amount in a liquid fund or high-interest savings account.

Reason: Provides a safety net for unexpected expenses.

Buying a Flat
Current Flat: Rs. 25 lakhs

Target Flat: Rs. 50 lakhs

Difference: Rs. 25 lakhs

Recommendation: Take a home loan for Rs. 25 lakhs.

EMI Calculation: With a tenure of 20 years and an interest rate of 7%, your EMI will be around Rs. 19,400.

Reason: Leverages your income to afford the flat.

Buying a Car
Budget: Rs. 7-8 lakhs for a mid-range car.

Recommendation: Opt for a car loan or save for the next two years.

Down Payment: Save Rs. 2-3 lakhs for the down payment.

Loan Amount: Rs. 5-6 lakhs with an EMI of around Rs. 10,000 for 5 years.

Reason: Manageable EMIs without straining your finances.

Monthly Budget Allocation
Emergency Fund: Save Rs. 15,000 per month until you reach Rs. 4 lakhs.

Home Loan EMI: Rs. 19,400 per month.

Car Loan EMI: Rs. 10,000 per month.

Living Expenses: Rs. 20,000 per month.

Savings/Investments: Rs. 5,600 per month.

Short-term Savings: Use a high-interest savings account or liquid funds for the emergency fund.

Medium-term Goals: Consider recurring deposits or debt mutual funds for saving towards the car down payment.

Long-term Investments: Invest in SIPs in mutual funds for wealth creation and future needs like marriage expenses.

Emergency Fund: Build it first, Rs. 15,000 per month.
Home Loan: Take Rs. 25 lakhs loan, EMI around Rs. 19,400.
Car Loan: Plan for Rs. 10,000 EMI, save for the down payment.
Budgeting: Allocate your income to manage loans, expenses, and savings.