Anil

Anil Rego  |330 Answers  |Ask -

Financial Planner - Answered on Aug 29, 2022

Anil Rego is the founder of Right Horizons, a financial and wealth management firm. He has 20 years of experience in the field of personal finance.
He’s an expert in income tax and wealth management.
MADANLAL Question by MADANLAL on Aug 29, 2022Translate

I am regular Rediff reader. Sir, 

1) I am earning through share trading, my income is up to 5 lakh. Please advise which ITR form I have to file.

2) And if my income is with salary and share trading up to 5 lakh, then which ITR form I have to file.

Ans: In both the cases you can use ITR 2 to file your tax returns.

ITR 2 is used to file tax when you have income from salary, income from house property, income from capital gain and loss (in your case shares), foreign income, etc.

Hardik

Hardik Parikh  |106 Answers  |Ask -

Tax, Mutual Fund Expert - Answered on Jul 27, 2023

Dear Mr. Parikh, I am 86 years age and retired from IOCL (PSU). Last year I sold 2 nos. of Mutual Fund. The difference between sale and cost price was about Rs. 13296 which is less than the taxable limit of Rs. 100000/-. A sum of Rs. 10834/- was deposited as TDS. I propose to fill - ITR Form 1 including the Capital Gain of Rs. 13296 in the Exempt Income (for Reporting Purpose). Kindly advice whether this is in order or should I fill - ITR Form 2 ?
Ans: Dear Rajesh,

Firstly, I appreciate your diligence in managing your taxes. Now, coming to your query, the choice between ITR-1 and ITR-2 depends on the nature of your capital gains.

ITR-1, also known as Sahaj, is for individuals with income up to Rs. 50 lakh from salary, one house property, other sources (interest, etc.), and agricultural income up to Rs. 5,000. However, it does not allow you to report capital gains.

On the other hand, ITR-2 is for individuals and HUFs not having income from profits and gains of business or profession. It includes the provision to report capital gains.

In your case, since you have capital gains from the sale of mutual funds, even if it's less than the taxable limit, it would be more appropriate to file ITR-2. The TDS that has been deducted can be claimed as a refund in your return if your total income is below the taxable limit.

Please consult with a tax professional or chartered accountant to ensure you're following the correct procedure as per the latest tax laws.

Remember, it's always better to be accurate in your tax filings to avoid any future discrepancies or issues with the tax department.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards

What are balanced advantage funds and would you recommend how I should go about investing in such funds?
Ans: Balanced Advantage Funds are a type of mutual fund that dynamically manages the allocation between equity and debt instruments based on market conditions. These funds aim to provide investors with a balance between growth (through equity exposure) and stability (through debt exposure). The allocation between equity and debt is adjusted by fund managers based on various factors such as market valuations, interest rates, and economic indicators.

Here's a breakdown of the key features and considerations for investing in Balanced Advantage Funds:

1. Dynamic Asset Allocation: These funds have the flexibility to shift allocation between equity and debt depending on market conditions. When equity markets are expensive or overvalued, the fund manager may reduce equity exposure and increase allocation to debt instruments, and vice versa.

2. Risk Management: Balanced Advantage Funds tend to offer lower volatility compared to pure equity funds due to their ability to switch between asset classes based on market conditions. This can potentially reduce downside risk during market downturns.

3. Goal-based Investing: They can be suitable for investors with medium to long-term investment horizons who seek a balance between capital appreciation and capital preservation. These funds are often used for goals like retirement planning or wealth creation with a moderate risk profile.

4. Professional Management: Investors benefit from the expertise of professional fund managers who actively manage the asset allocation and investment decisions based on thorough research and analysis.

5. Tax Implications: From a taxation perspective, gains from equity investments held for more than one year are taxed at a lower rate (long-term capital gains tax), whereas gains from debt investments held for more than three years are taxed as per the investor's income tax slab. Balanced Advantage Funds may offer tax efficiency due to their equity exposure.

6. Expense Ratio: Investors should consider the expense ratio of the fund, which represents the annual fees charged by the fund house for managing the fund. Lower expense ratios can enhance returns over the long term.

As for whether you should invest in Balanced Advantage Funds, it depends on your investment objectives, risk tolerance, and financial goals.

If you're seeking a balanced approach with the potential for higher returns than pure debt funds but with lower volatility compared to pure equity funds, then these funds could be suitable for you. However, it's essential to consult with a financial advisor who can assess your individual circumstances and recommend the most appropriate investment strategy.

If you decide to invest in Balanced Advantage Funds, you can do so through various platforms such as mutual fund distributors, online investment platforms, or directly through the fund house's website. Here's a general guide on how to invest:

1. Research: Understand the different Balanced Advantage Funds available in the market, their investment objectives, performance track record, and expense ratios.

2. Select a Fund: Choose a fund that aligns with your investment goals, risk tolerance, and time horizon.

3. KYC Compliance: Complete the Know Your Customer (KYC) process as required by regulatory guidelines. This typically involves providing identity and address proof documents.

4. Investment Process: Decide on the mode of investment, whether lump sum or systematic investment plan (SIP), based on your convenience and investment strategy.

5. Online Platform or Distributor: If investing through an online platform, create an account and follow the instructions to invest in your chosen Balanced Advantage Fund. If using a mutual fund distributor, approach them with your investment decision, and they will assist you with the investment process.

6. Monitor and Review: Keep track of your investments periodically and review your portfolio to ensure it remains aligned with your financial goals.

Remember that all investments carry some level of risk, including the potential loss of capital. Diversification and a long-term investment approach are generally recommended to mitigate risk and achieve your financial objectives.

Good Morning, We are married for almost 27 years and at various stages of my wife like, beginning days when Girls had dream of her happy married life beginning, honeymoon, pregnancy, fostering the child, mid-age crisis and now Menopause I have been very unfair & sometime very cruel to my wife. I am tryint to please her in my possible ways but whenever I am planning something exciting & pleasurable for her it turn out to be flop show & nightmare. I want her to be happy but don't know why it gets spoiled due to one or other reason. Despite of all this she is always giving me chance and prepare herself for new beginning. But now I fear & feel gradually I will become a big liability on her, health wise as I am diabetic and even after taking high dose of medicines it doesn't get controlled. I am worried that though the beginning was not good our end should be Peaceful & graceful. Need your guidance
No point revisiting what has already happened. It seems like your wife wants a new beginning; then why not actually plan on how you want your life together to be from now on? What are the things that you have missed out on earlier, bring it all back and slowly start experiencing what life could be living in that harmony...
As for diabetes, getting the right medicine and taking it in the right dosage is important to see a change. Also, exercise, attempt to keep stress levels low and eat right...these help in keeping your blood sugar levels low...
Don't talk about the END when there is a NEW beginning in sight...