Financial Planner - Answered on Aug 06, 2023

Colonel Sanjeev Govila (retd) is the founder of Hum Fauji Initiatives, a financial planning company dedicated to the armed forces personnel and their families.
Asked by Anonymous - Aug 04, 2023Hindi

I am operating a NPS Account through SBI. They are investing my saving with UTI Mutual Funds (50+25+25). I want to change this into some other higher returns mutual funds. Kindly suggest me some best funds.

Ans: SBI is just an account facilitator in your case – you must’ve opened your NPS account through SBI (bank). What NPS Fund Manager you choose is up to you and not on SBI. So choose wisely.

At present, there are ten pension fund managers in the country.
1. SBI Pension Funds Pvt. Ltd.
2. LIC Pension Fund Ltd.
3. UTI Retirement Solutions Ltd.
4. HDFC Pension Management Co. Ltd.
5. ICICI Prudential Pension Fund Management Co. Ltd.
6. Kotak Mahindra Pension Fund Ltd.
7. Aditya Birla Sunlife Pension Management Ltd.
8. Tata Pension Management Ltd.
9. Max Life Pension Fund Management Ltd.
10. Axis Pension Fund Management Ltd.

SBI Pension Fund, LIC Pension Fund, and UTI Retirement Solutions are the only fund managers who manage pension contributions of government employees under NPS.

I am 34yrs old, I am investing 16,000/month in NPS, I want to invest in these mutual funds 1. Bandhan ELSS tax saver fund direct growth(12, 500) 2. Parag parikh flexi cap fund direct growth (7, 000) 3. Quant small cap fund growth (5,000) 4. Axis small cap fund growth (5, 000) 5. Axis banking and PSU debt fund growth (1500) 6. PGIM India equity savings fund growth (1500) I am planning to invest for 15-20yrs , and I also increase my investment 5% annually Pls suggest these funds? are good for my portfolio and how much corpus I reach
Ans: Your selection covers a range of fund types, which is good for diversification. Here's a brief assessment:

ELSS: Bandhan ELSS is a good tax-saving option, but ensure you're comfortable with the lock-in period.
Flexi-cap: Parag Parikh offers flexibility across market caps, good for long-term growth.
Small-cap: Both Quant and Axis small-cap funds can offer higher returns but come with higher volatility. Make sure you're comfortable with the risk.
Debt Funds: Axis banking and PSU debt fund is a relatively safer option, suitable for diversifying equity-heavy portfolios.
Equity Savings: PGIM India equity savings fund is a balanced fund with equity, debt, and arbitrage components, adding stability.
Corpus Estimation:
Assuming an average annual return of 10%:

Yearly Increment: 5%
Investment Period: 15-20 years
With these assumptions, you can accumulate a significant corpus. For a precise estimation, using a SIP calculator can help, but you're on a good path with these selections for long-term growth. Regularly review and adjust based on performance and market conditions.

Hello Sir, my age is 28yrs and I am investing in Mutual funds for last 6 years now. As of now I have monthly SIP of 2k in PPFAS Flexi cap fund and 2.5k in Mirae Asset Large and Midcap fund. I want to invest more 12k-15k per month. I want to invest these for my retirement corpus and I am open to take risks in Smallcap, Midcap, Thematic funds, etc.. Kindly suggest good funds to invest in. Is it good to invest in schemes of Quant Fund house.
Ans: Since you're open to taking risks and have a long investment horizon for your retirement corpus, investing in small-cap, mid-cap, and thematic funds can potentially offer higher returns over the long term. Here are some suggestions for funds to consider:

Small-cap Funds: These funds invest in stocks of small-sized companies with high growth potential. Consider reputable funds with a consistent track record of performance in this category.
Mid-cap Funds: Mid-cap funds focus on stocks of medium-sized companies, offering a balance of growth potential and risk. Look for funds managed by experienced fund managers with a strong track record.
Thematic Funds: Thematic funds invest in sectors or themes expected to perform well over time. Choose themes aligned with your investment objectives and outlook for future growth.
Regarding Quant Fund House, while they may offer innovative investment strategies, it's essential to conduct thorough research on their fund offerings, track record, and investment approach. Ensure they align with your risk profile and long-term goals before investing.

Lastly, consider diversifying your investments across multiple funds and asset classes to spread risk and maximize potential returns. Regularly review your portfolio and make adjustments as needed to stay aligned with your investment objectives. Consulting with a Certified Financial Planner can provide personalized advice tailored to your specific financial situation and goals.

I am about 68 year's I have two sons who are married via arranged process. My younger son's wife is educated teacher. But she had a torturous up bring during high school days. Leading to least interest in married life after marriage. She deserted my son soon after marriage. This led to break down in marriage now heading for a divorce. Please advise.
Ans: It sounds like a deeply painful situation for everyone involved, especially considering the emotional trauma your daughter-in-law experienced during her formative years.

It's important to recognize that individuals who have gone through traumatic experiences in their youth can carry emotional wounds that affect their relationships later in life. These scars may manifest in ways that make it difficult for them to fully engage in marital life or maintain a healthy relationship.

In situations like these, it’s crucial to approach with empathy and understanding. Your daughter-in-law’s decision to desert your son and pursue divorce likely stems from her own internal struggles and emotional turmoil. It’s not a reflection of your son’s worth or efforts within the marriage.

Moving forward, it might be helpful for your son to focus on his own healing and well-being. Encouraging him to seek support from friends, family, or a professional counselor can provide him with a safe space to process his emotions and navigate this challenging transition.

As a family, offering unconditional support and empathy to both your son and daughter-in-law can create an environment where healing and understanding can begin. It’s important to respect each individual’s journey and decisions while also recognizing the need for compassion during this difficult time.

Hi, I am 40 yr old woman. I am staying with my husband who always doubt me without any reason. As he is dependent on me. He is jobless from last 5 yr. I am the only earning person I don't have any type of attitude. While balancing professional as well as personal life I use to listen his bitter words every day. Not only that he started beating me like anything Just coz of so-called reputation I tolerate him. But 7 months back I came across with a man in my life we both started liking each other, I shared everything with him. But he left his job due to some issues with manager and started working somewhere else. He started ignoring me. Please help me out to understand what is right and wrong in this?
Ans: Balancing the pressures of professional life with the strain of an abusive marriage is a heavy burden, and you deserve to feel safe, respected, and valued.

Your husband's behavior—doubting you without cause, subjecting you to daily verbal abuse, and physically harming you—is deeply troubling and completely unacceptable. It's important to acknowledge that no matter the circumstances, you do not deserve to be treated this way. The fear of societal judgment and concerns about reputation are common reasons people stay in harmful relationships, but your well-being and safety are far more important than maintaining appearances.

Meeting someone who offers emotional support when you’re in such a painful situation is understandable. It’s natural to seek comfort and a connection when you're feeling isolated and mistreated. However, the new man's recent behavior, where he started ignoring you after changing jobs, might feel like another layer of abandonment. This is especially tough because you opened up and shared your struggles with him, hoping for understanding and companionship.

In terms of what’s right and wrong, it's essential to focus on your needs and well-being. Staying in an abusive relationship is harmful to your physical and emotional health. You have the right to seek safety and happiness. The relationship with the new man might have provided temporary emotional relief, but it seems he's not able to be the supportive presence you hoped for, especially now when he’s pulling away.
Right now, focus on what you need to feel safe and supported. Consider reaching out to trusted friends, family, or professional services who can help you navigate this challenging time. You deserve a life free from fear and filled with respect and care. Prioritizing your own happiness and safety is the most important step forward.